Chapter 6
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 6

Day After

 

How long have time passed since Reid’s little meeting with his team and his dispute with their…leader? How much time have passed since they travelled to hunt down the monster only to find it under a tunnel that became a trap to either of them? Certainly, it couldn’t be that long…but to Reid, it somewhat was. To the point it felt as if it was months or years but in reality, it was merely a day.

Right in front of Reid’s view, it was nothing but blood…flesh, some debris, and dusts of the tunnel. It was dark though not as dark as the night sky, there were still one or two lights that survived the unfortunate and fortunate battle. Thankfully it didn’t collapse on them otherwise they too, would perish. But being perished by bricks seems better than a monster that didn’t have any rights in this world to take their lives gruesomely. And even though it wasn’t a massacre as usual, they lost two people in a day. One innocent civilian…and the other…was their new team member. How Reid wished he could reverse time and tell him to reconsider his life choices about joining as a hunter… or perhaps join something lighter for a start or, join a better team with a respectable and caring leader. Was it their fault? Or the monsters? His body was trembling at the thought of it…at how…how easily a human can be killed under something bigger without a warning…without a chance of defense or plea, including the carelessness of humankind. 

How…how much longer are we to live like this. 

As of now, every one of them were catching their breaths despite grimacing at what was left of the dead monster and grieving for the human puree and Eric. They had to stay still or sit for a bit to ease their injuries. It was a surprise neither of them had a severe concussion and none of them vomited. Probably part of it was that they were used to the stench and gore of the result of every mission, but nonetheless, covered in bruises and aches. All except for Chris…who didn’t seem to be affected. Usually that would either mean that they were used to it or in this case…barely put in the equivalent effort for the team. He would have complained about this to someone or reported it but…what difference would it make? It might only make things harder for him, especially at…. work. 

Now there’s the question of how on earth did he become a leader. Probably cheated the system or something or bribed them in a way. I wouldn’t be surprised at whatever foul methods are there in the dictionary that he used and wasn’t caught for it yet.

That too, made Reid wonder if that had anything to do with Chris being so persistent about killing the monsters. 

If he really wanted to make the world a better and safer place for everyone…and so call be the hero, shouldn’t they bring back the dead bodies to be able to study them better. Then we would be able to demolish these monsters without having to unintentionally sacrifice any one of our teammates…or anyone in general. Why was it so hard for him to just agree to it? It wouldn’t affect him in any ways, no one would see him as weak or something. So, what was there to lose…or…was there something he gains from this?

As much as they wanted to leave, they had to wait for the other team who would be cleaning up their mess. Hopefully none of them have any connections with the…deceased. Imagine the horror of having to clean up and piece back your loved ones? Although that was kind of the norm nowadays. Maybe he should have joined the team that cleans…no that wasn’t any better no matter the pay. Reid himself wasn’t too interested in the pay. How much can one gain if there was a chance, they would lose their soul the day after?

Other than the sound of their breaths and leaking water, it was another round of complete silence. None of them said a word to each other. There was nothing to say either. What could they say? Words of comfort? What was there to comfort? Those sweet sayings would merely be a lie in this world. Or…they could, well complement each other for their work? Notice how they got stronger or blunter? Or maybe they could celebrate? 

Foolish. 

How can they celebrate when one of them is…right? In this world, there’s no such thing as a celebration until every single one of them perishes.

Reid glanced at the entrance, hoping that it wouldn’t take the other team that long to arrive because he doubts that he could last a second more right there. He should have worn a watch or kept on within his suit…even though he was now covered in the monster’s blood and touch. 

Well, the incoming foul smell of blood and awkward silence was silently killing him the most. Though the silence was better than something stupid coming out of anyone’s mouth…especially not Chris’. It was the most comfortable silence in the most unfortunate times. 

While waiting, Reid wondered if it was wrong or inhumane of him to urge for fresh air and a shower while he was silently observing the situation and grieving for his dead new teammate. A shower was definitely needed to rid of that hideous evidence of a monster. On the bright side, at least its blood didn’t cause any infections, or not too severe once that could result in someone turning into a zombie. He felt his…his patience running low. Especially with an incapable leader like this. He didn’t know how long he could keep up with this…does he even need to keep up with it? He…he has a choice no matter what doesn’t he? 

Soft footsteps were heard entering the tunnel and soon enough, the other team came in with their supplies and bags to place the dead bodies…those were always a necessity, as if they knew that death is inevitable in every mission. Of course, to show some politeness, the team greeted them.

“Apologies for arriving a little later. We ran had to find the place…which is here… and I see you’ve terminated the monster. Well done. Now run through with us so we could clean this up and…give a proper farewell and burial for the deceased. We will send their records and contributions to their families. Let’s get back to work.” 

Once they settled down their items and prepared it, Chris told them everything that happened so they would be able to finish their job accordingly. Clean the remnants of the monster out, the blood and the deceased. It was a little after five minutes when Chris finished whatever explanation he gave, the rest of us…the rest of us who survived merely looked ahead.

Reid looked at his other two…remaining…surviving team members. Still neither of them said a word to each other aside from giving glances. Since they didn’t have anything to do for now, they decided to wait for Chris. It was their turn to wait for Chris at the entrance of the tunnel. 

The other team respectfully placed the bodies and…whatever that remains of it into a body bag before carrying it away. The least they could do since the deceased never had a final goodbye. But once that was done, finally, they left the tunnel.

When the fresh air greeted their noses, a sigh of relief escaped their lips. Chris led them ahead to a safer open space not before double checking their surroundings to ensure that there weren’t any signs of monsters or a sudden attack. It was a still wind and silence…it should be safe enough for another debrief and for them to catch their breaths….and probably deal with their neglected emotions. There was a little…building. Which works enough for a shelter but open enough for fresh air and escape. 

Joining the rest, Reid slumped on the cold stone floor and let out a long, deep sigh.

 

While Reid and the others were trying to cool themselves, Chris decided to take this opportunity to take over the situation again. 

“Alright, settle down first. Once we’ve cached our breaths we’ll return. Everyone is alright, right? Ten minutes should be more than enough.” Chris asked, frowning when the three of them seemed restless and their faces had a grey shadow dulling over them like a sweet kiss of despair. It was an extreme satisfaction for him to see the oh so great and powerful monster beaten down and teared apart by mere humans. A sacrifice or two was needed and they didn’t die for nothing anyways. So, Chris didn’t get why the rest of his team were so moody about it. 

Would they like it if they died instead? Should have been thankful that they lived. 

Ten minutes came by in a blink of an eye. Chris clapped his head that caused the three of them to jolt. Even Reid was glaring at him for that action, seeing Chris merely shrugged with a smirk at him. The…discomfort…no, Reid couldn’t even explain what he was feeling now especially with Chris right in front of him. His heart felt heavy, and his guts were just in a jumbled mess….it was as if there was a dark void waiting to erupt. 

“Alright break is up. Now, I know it was a hard day. In fact, it was such a depressing day.” The instant Chris opened his mouth about it, Reid felt the urge to roll his eyes and throw up while wondering how on earth did, he managed to tolerate him this long?

“I know…I know I said it was going to be an easy one. But life always throws unexpected things at us. At least it wasn’t as big as the largest monster that roamed this earth with us. We managed to rid one more, we did a favor to our people, to this country…to this world. It’s just a few more we hunters need to get rid of. I’m proud of our team, the bravery, and sacrifices-.” 

Reid couldn’t take it anymore. 

It felt sick…sick listening to Chris giving such a victory speech when…when he and the other two were the one who put in most of the effort. When one of their teammates just died. This isn’t something to celebrate and it was surely nothing to compliment or be proud of when one couldn’t do their one job right. He heard Chris going on and on in the background. 

Heard.

Not listen.

Why would he listen to him anymore?

“Alright team. Let’s head back, rest well and sleep well.”

How can any of us sleep well tonight? Aren’t we forever doomed with impending nightmares and possible post traumatic syndrome disorders? 

“Feed yourselves well. We’ll meet tomorrow for training, and you better get ready of it. Your skills are getting rusty. Constant training will-.”

This time, Reid stood up while turning away from the team and Chris before mumbling under his breath.

“I’m done.”

A second of silence felt like a year. 

But the two words were enough to make Chris narrow his eyes at Reid, pausing whatever fake smiles he was giving to the team. His fists unconsciously clenched when his body faced Reid. 

“What…what did you just say? Heh, I think you’re just tired. Don’t worry, maybe I won’t let anyone know so you’ll still be in the team. How much weaker-.”

“I am tired. And I mean it when I said I’m done. I’m done with you especially so I’m leaving.” As much as Reid expected Chris to throw a tantrum as usual. 

“Don’t turn your back on your leader! You’re going to just give up? Why? Are you unsatisfied because you didn’t kill the monster on its own? What kind of a man are you? Hey, he’s willing to let the monsters live on-.”

“It’s your fault Chris!” Reid finally snapped softly.

For once, Chris seemed to be taken aback at Reid’s words. There was no way…no way in the world…that Reid, just a normal hunter, accuses him of everything that happened. He worked hard to claim this position and survive just like any other. Just because there were deaths he was at fault!? It wasn’t as if death wasn’t a common thing now. There is massacre and blood everywhere so why on earth was Reid whining and complaining about it like a big baby? His fists clenched hard that his knuckles were turning white. 

“My…fault? You. Of all people, you Reid Larkin, you’re telling me that all this is my fault. Don’t you know how I suffered like all of you?”

Reid stepped forward to challenge Chris for once. He was all too exhausted hearing Chris blaming everyone but himself, as if he was the one who solo fought the monster and killed it. If it was the case, then Reid wouldn’t have an issue despite his opinion about bringing it back alive to the base. 

“Suffer? We lost a team member because of you if you hadn’t realized that! Am I blaming you? Well, you bet yes! I am! Every one of us was fighting that thing! We have our bruises and injuries; hey we even might have some broken bones because that hideous thing keeps throwing us around and nearly turning us into that puree! And what were you doing?” 

Chris opened his mouth to retort back but Reid was quick to interrupt before he could gaslight him or so.

“You suffered like us, but you were at the entrance of the tuner, hiding there where it was safe and sound! Weren’t you the one who told us that it would be an easy one? If it was an easy one, why weren’t you with us as planned then? And don’t tell me oh it was a training because we specifically have another system for that as trainings doesn’t involve others getting murdered!” 

Thud

Chris snapped at Reid’s throwback that his fists that were clenched made its way to punch Reid, causing the other to stumble on the ground. At this point, Chris resembled a raging bull and Reid was the red cape. He was about to throw another punch when Lloyd held him back as much as his strength allowed him while Melissa ran to ensure that Reid didn’t have a broken nose or something.

“WHAT? You dare to accuse me of that! Are you trying to be some kind of hero or something? That’s why you wanted to save the monsters, bring them back and hoping people would praise you for finding a cure or something!? This isn’t a fairytale Reid Larkin so wake up! Eric’s death wasn’t my fault if he was weak, and he should have known to train better if he wanted to join us! Easy or not there were still risks!”

“But you convinced him otherwise! You claim that you’re the leader, so act like one! The leader takes full responsibilities for his team members but what did you do? Cower aside like a lost puppy. Even a lost puppy is far better than whatever you are!”

If Lloyd wasn’t using up all his strength to hold Reid back, Chris would have pummeled him like how the monster nearly did. 

“Alright enough both of you! We’re all tired…well, yeah tired and hurt. Can we settle this tomorrow?” Despite the plea, it never fell onto those two. Especially not Chris.

“Settle this tomorrow? No way.” Reid mumbled as he wiped the blood of his nose and shook his head. “I’m sorry, Lloyd, Melissa. But I can’t carry on with this. The two of you aren’t the issues but I’m already at the last of my patience here. I can’t carry on with a leader like this.” Reid spat with all the venom filled in his words. If only it could poison Chris for real and give him a taste of his own medicine. 

“How did you even qualify as a hunter. You’re giving up at the slightest inconvenience.” 

“Oh, you want to talk about qualify. How are you qualified as a leader then if you were going to sacrifice a team member just like that? You even briefed us with a plan or was that for show? To show oh hey I’m a leader listen to me I have a plan. And I wasn’t giving up just because something was in the way, I have tolerated you for ages and now I’m done. Good luck on you next mission and two new team members. Oh, don’t forget to tell them that I said to take care because their indecent leader will use them as sacrifices.”

“REID LARKIN!”

Looking at the situation, Reid did feel guilty for his team members, especially Lloyd who was thrown to the wall earlier and now he had to deal with holding Chris back while his injuries were bugging him. But nonetheless, it felt as if a huge burden was lifted from Reid when he finally got that out of his chest and to Chris. It wasn’t the whole burden, but it was more than half of it for now. All that was left for him, was to find a way to do things his way. 

“Forget it. I said I’m done, and you can’t change my mind. I think you’d be better off calmer without me anyways. I’ll be doing things my own way, so you don’t have to worry about going against your dear wish.” Reid said one last time before stumbling away from them. He could still hear Chris yelling rainbows at him. He didn’t have any more energy to entertain that overgrown chihuahua.

Before he even figures out a plan for himself and what he would do next, he needs to cool off his mind…take a warm shower. Maybe even send his respect to Eric’s family and the victims’ family.

No matter what had happened or will happen,

Reid was exhausted.

0