Chapter 8
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8

First Case

 

Back in Reid’s apartment, he had his new suit and every other weapon he would be using laid out on the table with its bullets and others. Ensuring that there were a more than enough amount for a few usages and it wouldn’t be too heavy for him to move around and all. Once it was all set, Reid decided to fill his stomach and energy. It wouldn’t be handy to do things on an empty stomach. He fixed himself a simple breakfast of bread and eggs along with some sausages before devouring it carefully. Perhaps even a bath would work after breakfast. He had to do all he could to calm himself before executing his plans later all and he surely couldn’t do it well if he was in a state of haste.

When Reid finished his breakfast, a sigh escaped his lips as he looked around before picking up the plate to dump it in the sink.

“Well…I sure hope the instant I step out of his house it would be all good luck and promising…finds? For me? At least I wouldn’t have to let my ears and heart suffer from an unreliable former leader. I wonder how my team is doing but at the same time, because of him I don’t really care much now unless they are dying or something.” He paused his thoughts before shaking his head. 

“I should stop thinking about that. A shower it is.” Reid made his way to the bathroom, setting a little time as well so he wouldn’t spend too much time in showering. It was calming to have a warm shower. The whole bathroom nearly became a sauna if it couldn’t get any hotter. He was desperately trying to convince his body that he can both be and stay calm while he constantly softly reminding himself that there was something else to do and this was merely to make him more comfortable and prepared…as prepared as he can be since he could neither guarantee the result nor confirm how well it would go as circumstances are extremely unpredictable. 

Ever since the fight with his team and the last monster Reid managed to kill with the support of his team instead of leader, he vowed to handle things his way. He knows there is a better way to tackle this issue. It would be such a waste to just dispose of the monster and not to mention the emotional damage hunters build upon years. So, Reid knew he could handle it in a more appropriate and humane way.

Humane for the monsters? 

No of course not. He meant humane for the people. No one would ever be abandoned if they had to go against a monster no matter the size as they were still so many times powerful than they were. He’d ensure with all his might that…that they won’t end up like Eric. If one had crossed their limit, his priority would be their safety. It wasn’t worth losing or sacrificing a life just for those monsters when they surely have a chance to keep them safe. He kept telling himself how he would ensure with all his power that whomever it would be whether he likes the person or not, they would never be treated harshly or mocked for their opinions. He would ensure that they are well trained for the missions and get their consent if they really wanted to join it with a full determined energy. He would ensure that everyone has a chance to voice and act on their opinions when it becomes relevant or gives them a great advantage. He would ensure that they are both physically and mentally fit for the job. Otherwise, how would it be a compromising and strong team if everyone is going to go against each other? Sure, he couldn’t 100% prevent conflicts between one another but he could at least try to get them on the same page, right? For the sake of the innocent civilians who unlike them, are unable to even lift a finger against the monsters.

How about the monsters? 

Of course, he wouldn’t spare them. Which sane person would want to save them? Oh, how he could have said that to Chris before when Chris would label him as a goody hero. The only time he spared them is to bring them back to the base or hand it over to another party who will study them. The money wasn’t an issue. It was never an issue for Reid to consider as all he wanted, his firm belief, was that deeper research on this monster will greatly enhanced their civil war against them and bring their world back to how it was years ago.

But of course, ever since he left the team and company, he had to give himself some time to clear his head. He couldn’t carefully plan all of this and put it to action if he was still in an agitated and exhausted mood as it would give the finest loophole of backfiring on him. So, Reid spent about a month to rest, take care of himself and his injuries. He ensured that he slept well…though it took a little while for him to get used to sleeping after seeing his comrade’s death in front of him. At least his diet didn’t change much…much is the keyword. There were times where Reid neither wanted to eat nor does he have any appetite, but to be able to take down a monster nearly 10 times of his size meant he had to nourish himself well whether he likes it or not. And as much as he’d love to devour alcohol or something to calm his nerves, he had to make sure his brain and thoughts were in a sharp state to survive those monsters. Reid continued training a little so he wouldn’t go rusty. How humiliating would it be if he were to lead and train a new team if he would fall from a mere push or a swing of his claymore. Speaking of his weapon, he managed to retain it and found a way to receive newer ones for others soon. There weren’t many options, but it was enough for the time being and for some comfortability of choices. He didn’t want them to feel…obstructed by choice? He just wanted the best for the world and by wanting that, he needs to ensure his team were satisfied. He knows he can’t satisfy everyone but at least he could fulfil their needs to build their determination. 

He wonders at times he if he was…trying to be too pleasing but…everything he does has a reasonable reason. So, there wasn’t a reason to doubt him or not go well, right?

It should go well...

Investigating the monsters, the possibility of leading and handling a team…maybe a few teams soon and getting information is not an easy job to tackle alone, but there he was. Reid managed to start his own private investigation company. He started it a few months ago but…there weren’t much happening in it. It hasn’t picked up much steam so for once in his life, he decided to start at the beginning. Back to where all of this started, where the monster was first seen…where the world first changed. Back to that cursed dungeon. It sounded like a suicidal note without proper context, but Reid was confident about it. 

He must be confident about it…

It was the only way…

Hopefully it isn’t what would finally end him.

He had everything carefully planned out, every turn and corner along with the loopholes with multiple consequences.  

“This…this must be worth it. Well, what else is there too loose other than my life but let’s, let’s not lose that yet. There is a lot to go.” Reid muttered while he packed his items. His claymore, guns, everything he needed. Little extra clothes with protection and some energy bars to keep him going. Once everything was set, Reid took a deep breath and left for Rocheport. Even though it was cozy in the car, he ensured that his weapons are hidden yet near him, just in case if he needed an instant access if any monster wanted to attack without warning or some crazy lunatics who would rob him. Just because the weapons were created for monsters doesn’t mean it wouldn’t hurt people. Naturally Reid wouldn’t do that, but self-defense is a thing. But he does hope it wouldn’t end up that way as all his efforts from a few months ago till now would be gone. 

“I should record everything down there. Just in case…he needs to be prepared for everything and except the unexpected no matter how cliché it sounds. Who knows what might be useful for others even though it may seem like useless junk to me? At this time, anything…really anything, might be useful for us. Something to demolish every single monster.” 

That was a lot he planned to do solo. But it was better than waiting and sitting around while others were screaming in fear for their lives from the sudden and random attacks. Sure, he wasn’t as built as the other hunters or as fit, but he was agile enough and…well he could stand and hide since it wasn’t a team trying to defeat a monster mission. He just needed some information to better his private investigation company. If he gave a reason for others to trust his process and his resources were reliable and believable with evidence. 

“Yes, I have a good plan...” 

Thankfully for Reid, the travelling journey didn’t tire or bore him. It was as if he teleported to Rocheport. Oh, how the lovely sun greeted him as usual with its underlying tone about the monsters. 

“Here we are. Rocheport…where it all begun…” Reid mumbled softly once again, gripping the wheel of the car before he let out another sigh and stepped on the gas. “But we’re not there yet…and I can’t waste anytime touring here. It started at the Katy Trail…guess that’s my destination.” 

Reid made his way there and ensured that there was a good parking for him to set his car for an escape or emergency. If he made it out and it would likely be late night, it would be safer for him to check in a hotel or something rather than staying in a car and live in the chance of being stepped and smooshed by possible monster attacks. 

Once he parked the car, Reid grabbed his items where it was snugly hidden and prepped himself. His final preparation before…before whatever that’ll come soon. He managed to upgrade into a gun that fires bullets that was made of the monsters’ teeth.

“Well, they managed to make themselves useful after all…useful against themselves.” Reid loaded the gun and kept it aside along the other weapons. That wasn’t all he had to take, he grabbed his journaling items and left the car. 

He took a deep sigh and walked into Katy Trail. His guards were up past its limits. His eyes scanned the area and his ears listened for every soft and subtle sounds. Who knew if there were a monster nearby or something? 

“Right now, I’m walking in Katy Trail. Nothing happened yet but looking at the environment…it surely tells me that a monster was here times ago. At least I didn’t see any new footsteps so that tells me that no one been here recently. Why I’m here? Well, I can’t sit aside and just watch the world demolish and others not doing enough. So, I’m going to investigate and see if there is anything we missed. Even if there isn’t, at least I tried to search, and my mind would be at ease. If I do find something, well I hope it would be the key to a peaceful future.” Reid spoke into the Dictaphone that he brought. A few other devices were on him alongside the gun that rested on his hips. He went from journals to dictating his findings and thoughts. Other than just taking down monsters, investigating them was crucial. 

“Scratches…footsteps of different sizes…I wonder if we had the biggest of them all measured…or estimated is the better word since I doubt anyone would still be breathing or moving the instant, they saw it. If anything, I’m surprised that we managed to live for years and still have a good amount of population that lives in fear and terror.” 

His footsteps crunched against the sandy dirt and small piles of sticks scattered around an almost covered path. The sun was still up and tried to make the place seem…less deadly, but it wasn’t directly shining onto him indicating that it was going to be late noon anytime sooner. So instead of making it look peaceful, it looked far worse that someone would probably wet themselves at the mere atmosphere. At least it didn’t spook Reid too much so he didn’t have to waste any time calming or relieving himself and could instead use some of those time…to sort of explore the area before the dungeon. That is if he managed to find it on time. Reid travelled a little further by following the path that soon led him to a wrecked area with a large opening in the hill.

It would be amusing if someone placed a ‘welcome to hell’ sign at the dungeon but hey, who would be brave enough to appear here…again unless they had nothing to lose.

The very place where the first massacre appeared.

The stain of their dead bodies, blood and…possibly organs were still noticeable.

Thankfully for Reid he didn’t have a weak stomach and the...unfortunately to say, he was used to the bloody gore based on his previous experience with death all around him. If it was a newbie or a regular civilian who had an interesting choice to explore here and would end up puking at the mere sight despite not being any bodies around. 

“If it’s this bad…it was surely worse when it first begun. Now I feel that it was better that they died to prevent living in deep trauma. Or maybe they can recover but…I don’t know. Let’s just get back to what we’re meant to do.” Reid didn’t want to think too deeply about it. He too, wondered if he was there around the time of the first massacre, would he survive? If he miraculously physically survived, what would his mental state be then? Would he be in shock? Fear? This was only for an individual. What about the families? If their loved ones were murdered by a person, no matter how injustice a system can be, they still had the chance for revenge, karma, and all. But how were they going to achieve all those with a creature bigger than their houses? 

A massive domino effects these creatures created. 

Reid scanned around the area first. Checking for tracks or faint signs of life. He wondered if he should set some traps but there doesn’t seem a point to it as it would take time since it wasn’t like an animal hunt. He ensured that he even took a visual record of the environment and the size of the cave. Of course, after that, he recorded his findings through his voice.

“I’m at the cave…where the first massacre happened. If you’re listening and you’re imagining how it looks like before watching the videos or pictures…then you’re right. It’s that awful. Bones scattered all over and you don’t want to imagine the smell even though it’s been a few years.” Reid paused for a second, staring into the entrance.

 It would make sense to try to lock up or block its entrance where the dungeons are but at the same time, it may be a wasted effort. But it wouldn’t hurt to try, hence why Reid made this difficult decision to come here. Part of him wanted to turn away, head back home and come back another day when he is double prepared. But part of him was nagging that he made it all the way here, it wasn’t even dark yet so it would be such a waste to not carry on after all the travelling and mental preparation. Time was too precious in a survival state. 

Even though Reid had experiences in fighting and killing monsters, he never explored a dungeon before, let alone the ones where those monsters were from. It was…he didn’t know how to explain what he was feeling. It was a swirl of emotions and energy rushing through his veins and joining the thump of his heart. He wouldn’t call it excitement…but it felt like it. He wasn’t sure if it was fear, but he wouldn’t blame himself for feeling that way because if there was indeed a monster lurking inside and he entered its trap…travelling solo and a giant monster…yeah there was no way he would make it out alive. Reid bit his lip as he eyed the entrance even more, making sure he double checked that there were no new signs of recent entrance or exit from any living thing. The footsteps didn’t seem fresh, and he hoped that he was right. Either way, he couldn’t waste any more time lurking there and he had to enter it as soon as possible with limited noise.
Just like a mouse entering a lion’s den.

“I’m making my way…I’m making my way into the cave. I don’t like saying this but wish me luck. Let’s hope I make it out alive and back home for dinner tomorrow...unless I become another human puree for those monsters.” Reid clipped his Dictaphone at his side and took out his gun, double checking that it was loaded again. Instead of keeping it at its place, the best and smart move was to keep it on his hand. It may not be able to instantly kill but it could buy some time or maybe use to compare his findings.

0