Chapter 10: First town
219 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Just to warn you, I am so ahead in writhing dialogue, no one understands how good it is and thinks it is bad. It is not actually bad, you just think it is. And for whatever reason I fell one rank in Yugion and Yu-Gi-Oh! to a newer fiction with less chapters.

The next morning I was woken up by annoying light filtering in through the trees. With a little annoyance at my premature awakening I open my eyes and start rapidly blinking at the sight in front of me. Some kind of K9 is trying to chew my leg without any success. I definitely should have left a creature to guard me, even with Emissaries summoned. I take my knife and while it is distracted with my leg, I cut it’s throat and watch as it starts to struggle, then slowly becomes lethargic and dies from the blood loss. 

I check my Tokens quickly, and have 10977 Total. Then I carefully skin the K9 and leave the body to bleed it out. There is plenty of meat on the creature and I don’t see any poison glands or fangs for the moment, and there was no core in either the heart or head so it is probably edible. At least I am sure it is an animal and not some kind of monster. I plan to summon Old Magician to help me with restarting the fire, but his card is gray. I did have him summoned from morning till midnight, so I probably won’t be able to call him again before tonight. Buying another Yugi deck sounds more and more tempting, just to have 2 of him to call. 

I remove Sky Hunter and Cannhorn from the deck and instead put Sting and Monster Egg in. After activating the new deck I store it in the Holster for the new cards to charge and start dismantling the body. When I am halfway done I summon Sting to restart the fire then activate the 3 Mirage.

Spoiler

https://ygoprodeck.com/deckbuilder/?e=Wy-lyyDxuIr1dZEL4yHrRBZta2kGEF6yxpo1sVqU5ZLBe0YQvnLzMWtJTRfLO-YGFv_N2gww-OLHMTBO2pvE_n_7KGv9tzwm2cwsZsEJP1lsddWZwq8fZf2d6896a64Co1_BLMP9l-EMUW8dmUFYXy_HARkEl_bm5uelFim4pCZnAwA%7E

And the cards from the OCG.

[collapse]

“I want you to scout from the air and find me a road. When you do, come back immediately from that direction without circling around the clearing.” The 3 and their copies fly up and soon I lose sight of them. I put a little more wood in the fire and continue dismantling the creature. 

When I am done I find some good sticks for a spit and start roasting skewers over the fire. The meat chunks are not very big, so they roast quickly and soon my breakfast is ready for consumption. 

When I am almost done eating my 3rd skewer, they are pretty tasteless, the 3 Mirage return from the east, judging from the shadows of the trees at least. So they did find a road to the east of here. Once I finish eating and buy a second Yugi Deck I will start heading that way. 

I finish my last skewer and buy my second Yugi Starter Deck, 3rd Holster and another pack of sleeves shrinking my Tokens by 3 500. With all the new spell and trap cards I remove the Warrior and Spellcaster cards and make a Spell/Trap Deck and in the 3rd Holster stuff 19 Warrior and Spellcaster cards. I put the new decks in their Holsters and start putting out the fire. After dumping sufficient amount of earth on the fire I take the leftovers of the animal and dump them sufficiently far from the dungeon.

Spoiler

https://ygoprodeck.com/deckbuilder/?e=O7a4lPUYFIvIqrJ_dGtn3tFqywDCpZEqjCCcsZqVFYQ3SP1mnim1lWHVk-1Mj-SkWEH4veo-Fhg_o1rGfP2FJuPe5fmMtd-2Mziv5WUBY3t-luKFv5k_TFkEx8WX_RlhuCZnAQsMn2JhYAVh37gDDCCMDIILUnNyFEKKEgsUXFKTswE%7E

[collapse]
Spoiler

https://ygoprodeck.com/deckbuilder/?e=01flZNYHYonHVaxhhX2sW9yeMoDw5iu8TC4sFqwgnCMsxNBwP48VhJffuMLifHQxEwgvZHrNYP-xCBMMMyABl9TkbAX-vFQA

[collapse]

I summon the new Stern Old Magician from the new deck and let him scan the entire forest for monsters, animals and people. He shares what he sees with me and we start moving east. Every now and again I carve an arrow on the trees around pointing to the place I came from. When I need to return here in the future it will be easier by following the markings. 

With the help of Old Magician I evade all animals and monsters on my path and only have to worry about continuing to go east. It is harder in this strange world. What I know about mountain and forest navigation from my world could be completely wrong in this one, and I can only rely on the sporadic light filtering through the branches to keep heading in the direction of the sun. And just as it was starting to get hard differentiating  if the light from the sun is coming from east or from above, the forest abruptly stops. 

There is no cliché encounter of me stumbling onto an attack from bandits or monsters, having to save a merchant or a lady, just a road in front of me, made from nothing more than compressed dirt running through the forest, but there is evidence that it has seen a lot of carriage traffic over the years. I totally should have asked one of the Mirage to scout for the directions to the closest town, because the right could lead to town an hour away and the left a week away or vice versa. So I summon 2 Mirage, instruct them to come back immediately after finding a town and send them off. Since they are identical, the one that returns first would have found the closest town, so I would go in that direction. 

While I wait, I mark a few trees to be visible from the road, so I could find my way back to the dungeon. Without some kind of map function… does the system actual have one? I never even thought to check until now. To pass the time I skim the Booster Set Lists and try to find cards that could be useful. Right now I have 7762 Tokens after buying the Yugi Deck, Holster and sleeves. I can buy 15 packs and I have to choose them carefully, because I don’t know when I will be able to stock so much Tokens in the future. In Vol.1 there aren’t any cards I am interested in and in Booster 1, there are only 3. LoBE does have some I am interested in, like the Exodia pieces, some creatures that could teach me how to fight and few spell cards. Spell Ruler has a lot of cards I am interested to see the effects of, so I will probably buy a lot of them. Metal Raiders had less cards that attract me on first glance, but I am sure it has a lot of useful ones. 

I am about to buy a Spell Ruler pack, when the Mirage that I send to the left returns and land beside me. Looks like I am walking that way. I collect the 2 Mirage and Old Magician cards and stash them in their Holsters, then summon Kentauros in front of me. “Will you let me ride on your back?” He nods, then his horse body lowers to the ground and I mount him. He stretches his hands backwards and I take hold of them and we start moving in the left direction. He starts slowly, for me to become accustomed to riding and gradually increases to a gallop. It is interesting that he can feel me on his back and how I move, so he gives me advise on how to shift my weight, follow his movements and sit properly. It is like your ride teaching you how to ride better. 

I don’t exactly know how long we rode for, but it is a few hours at least, when I started to see the density of trees around us start decreasing and we soon exit the forest. In front of us the road continues through a grassland, ugh, and in the distance I can see the walls of a town. Kentauros warns me his summon time is approaching its end and I dismount him and put his card in the Holster. The rest of the way I cover on foot. 

As I approach the walls I wonder if everything will go as in an Isekai novel? They will ask me to touch an identification crystal or something, I will pay for a temporary pass to the town and then be told to visit a guild for new ID? Except, if they did identify me with a device, they would probably know I am a Dimension Traveler and things could become more complicated. I better be honest and describe my predicament and hopefully they would be able to provide help in investigating cases like mine or pointing me to a specialist. Mom always told me if I ever got lost to find the police and they will sort me out. Of course I was 7 years old then, but good advice is timeless. And city guards are kind of like police, so the principle applies. 

I arrive at the gate of the town and 2 guards approach me immediately. They don’t look to be hostile or alert, as if this will be just another routine inspection. 

“Identity card, please.” The first one asks for my ID, while the second one takes out a metal plate with 8 crystals on it and approaches me. I look at the thing a little wary, but turn to the first guard and start explaining my predicament. 

“I don’t have local Identity card. I don’t even know where I am at the moment.” I slowly take out my wallet and take out my World’s ID and show it to the guard. “I was trying to summon a machine, when there was an accident ‘(I accidentally pressed something)’ and the next thing I know I find myself in a labyrinth, no, wait, the word is dungeon. It took me 6 days to leave it, as I couldn’t teleports out. I may not even be in the same dimension anymore.” Now that I have to use Common language, I have a little trouble finding the right words to match their English meaning. The guard takes my ID and looks at it strangely, tries to pass it through a device, but quickly gives up. He gives it back and explains to me what is going to happen next. 

“We will scan you for dangerous objects or contraband, then we will escort you to the government building in town. There they will check your identity, if you have criminal record and if you are lying, then issue you a working ID and sort out your story.” The second guard starts moving the metal plate like a metal detector around my body and backpack and several of the crystals light up from time to time. 

“We will have to inspect your backpack and see what is inside your spatial magic item before we proceed.” So they have a way to detect spatial items. Well otherwise smuggling of goods would be way too easy, wouldn’t it? I open my backpack and take out my Binder and unbuckle the belts, then show them the contents. To them they would look like green, pink and brown colored cards. If they can’t detect they are Summoning tools, I won’t volunteer the information. Meanwhile the other guard is going through every item in my backpack and using the metal plate to check them out. Several of the items make the crystals to glow, but soon the inspection if over and the guard returns my backpack. 

“Several dungeon items, magic paper, potions and herbs. Nothing on the banned or dangerous list. What about you?” The guard checking my backpack addresses his colleague that was checking my Binder. 

“Spatial item shaped like a book. It can only hold these cards and nothing bigger. Here, scan  this card and tell me what is it.” He gives the guard with the device a creature card and he scans it with the device. A black crystal lights up. 

“Magic paper, dark attribute. Other than that I can’t tell you more about it. Maybe they are used with the enchanted cloth I found, but I don’t know why someone will waste  magic paper to make cards. It isn’t on the banned or dangerous list, so we don’t have to care about them.” When he mentions dark attribute I stiffen for a moment, but when there wasn’t even a twitch of disgust or other negative emotion I relax. They give the Binder and the card back. I place the card back in and close the Binder, then stash it in my backpack again. The guards call their colleagues to take their place and lead me into town. 

The buildings around look like military installations, but as we move farther from the walls more commercial buildings start to appear. So far, every building is made of bricks and I am a little surprised to see glass in every window. I expect the town to smell disgusting, of excrement and piss, unwashed people and maybe even blood, but am pleasantly surprised to be wrong. Maybe the addition of all that magic did indeed make this place different from medieval times. What I do smell however is food from stalls along the road and they all smell delicious. I definitely have to try some of them when I am done with the government building. 

We arrive in front of a medium sized building and one of the guards hurries inside, I presume to inform someone of my case, while the other slowly walks with me. When we enter inside, I am led to a room that looks remarkably like a police interrogation room as depicted in TV shows and movies. It isn’t as bare and the chairs look more comfortable, but otherwise the look is spot on. On the table are 2 crystal devices and an official is already siting in one of the chairs, while the guard is standing in a corner of the room. I am led to the other chair and the interrogation begins. I guess this isn’t like the cliché ‘hero comes from nowhere and is immediately registered for an ID without proof they exist.’. 

“Place your hands on the devices and state your name, date of birth, place of birth and criminal record.” Without waiting for me to get comfortable, the official, a middle aged woman, start asking for my information. 

“Jessica Thompson, 1st of September…”and as soon as I say that, one of the devices flashes red. Of course they don’t use our dates, how silly of me. ”1st day of the 9th month, 19 years, rotations ago.” This time the device flashes green and I realize it is some kind of lie detector. Now, how will it react to my place of birth? ”I was born in America, Chicago.” The device blinks between green and red and I decide whatever method it is using to tell truth from lie, it isn’t working with some names, so I just say the next truth it could accept. “I was born in another world.” This time the crystal flashes green and the official looks at it with wide eyes, then at me, then again at the crystal. 

“I though the gate guys were kidding when they said we could have other world-er at the gates. How exactly did you come to our world?” What follows is a lengthy explanation of the circumstances that lead me here. I tried to explain in detail and with as much truth as possible how I ended in the dungeon, what I fought in there and how I arrived at the town. I didn’t elaborate on my summons, so they didn’t for the moment know I could summon humans and elves. 

“Can you describe where the dungeon you found yourself in is located? Would you be able to lead a group there?” The official ask with something more than just interest in her voice.  

“Around 4 hours ride from town on the forest road and then 4-5 hours walk through the woods. I marked the trees on my way to the road, so a tracker could probably find it without much trouble.” She nods at my explanation and writes it down, then presses a place on the second device my hand is on. A screen like from my menu appears and shows my entire status, including occupations. 

Name: Jessica Thomas
Gender: Female Age: 19
Occupations: University Student Lvl 2(4th)
Novice Summoner Lvl 9(1st)
Novice Dimension Traveler Lvl 1(1st)
Level: 7
HP: 1330/1330 SP: 1505/1505
MATK: 2210 ATK: 650
Magic: 1427.5/1427.5 DEF: 715
Strength: 425  

“Dimensional Traveler means you managed to arrive under your own power. It is different from the Summoned, Called or Lost that have found their way to our world in the past. This is just a guess, you will have to ask a specialist to confirm, but it is possible you won’t be able to return with other methods. Only the one you used to get here, that machine you mentioned? There is a law that if other world-er is to show up, the government office is to issue them a free ID and count that place as their origin point, err, place of birth and home town. Sadly, that is the most we can do for you.” After explaining this, there were a lot more questions for my ID and a repeat of the question about criminal record. It is good they are cautious in case a mass murderer transmigrates. When I answered I don’t have a criminal record, the crystal flashed red and everyone became a little wary. I on the other hand became a little embarrassed. Did that also count in another world? 

“Ahem, I lost a bet once and had to streak, um, run naked across the college campus, but was caught and arrested. There weren’t any charges and I only needed to pay a fine. I haven’t done any real crimes. No murder, theft, assault or anything serious. I may have crossed the street not on a crosswalk and other minor things.” This time the device blinked green and I again had to wonder, did it just detect lies or did it pull information from somewhere? 

Around an hour later my new ID was given to me and I was asked to pour some of my Magic in it or a drop of blood. It apparently needed to imprint on me, so no one else would be able to use it. Then, they explained to me the functions of the card. It could function as an ID, Bank card, Adventurer guild card, Merchant guild card, Craftsmen guild card or any other guild card. They just add a magic crystal with my guild data to the card. It could apparently also connect to other ID cards so you could tal to the other person in 1 sintark radius. That is actually really convenient, almost like a magic version of a smartphone. I also won’t have to carry around bunch of documents like an ID, Drivers License, Credit card and others. 

“Here is a book of the local laws, every territory has slight differences, but the big ones are basically the same. A map of public facilities in town and recommended inns and here is your new history, birth certificate ad history of living arrangements.” I received the thick book, the map, official documents and was escorted out of the building. 

Following the map I found a pretty good inn that has bath service, good meals and comfortable beds, at least according to the sign in front. The first thing I paid for was a bath, then I rented a room and ordered dinner. The proprietress took one whiff of me and was immediately accommodating. Do I really smell that bad? 

In the bathroom changing room I take of my enchanted coat, white T-shirt, sport bra and instantly something doesn’t feel right, as in, somehow my breasts feel more perky and firm. I am young and fit, but even then they were hanging a little lower than now. Did Dimension travel, magic or God of Healing firm up my figure? I look myself in the full length mirror on the wall and my 1.8 meters reflection looks back. My super short brown hair looks glossy and thick, but that could be oil’s and dirt from the past week in a dungeon. My green eyes do look a little brighter and a quick activation of Magic Sight makes them glow slightly. One noticeable thing is that my face looks perfectly symmetrical and I would bet money it would perfectly fall under the golden ratio if measured. I could just see I was more beautiful than before I arrived here. My muscle reliefs were more distinguished and my B cup breast stood firm and proud instead of slouching on my chest. I undress my pants and boxers and take a deck from one of the pockets. I may be in a town, but there is no way I am going anywhere unarmed. 

The inside of the bath was like a Japanese one from anime, there was an area for washing and next to it a pool for soaking in and relaxing. I sat on one of he stools for washing up and started applying shampoo from a bottle there. 

While washing up I feel every part of my body and there is indeed tangible improvements almost everywhere. My skin is smoother and softer to the touch, muscles are more firm and compact, breasts are firmer and perkier and even down there looks almost brand new. Did Dian Keto’s healing apply to even these parts of the body? Were they counted as abnormalities or ailments? I wonder if, when I am higher level I can think my muscles are weaker than is normal and modify my body for more strength? Or just accept that the body hair is something unnatural and become hairless from the neck down? Something to check in the future. 

I finish cleaning up and soak in the pool of hot water, while contemplating some of the cards in my possession and others I am interested in. Then my thoughts go to strange places like, what would a bottle of wine, aged for 1 000 years by Time Wizard would taste like? And if his power could be set to smaller time frame how useful his powers would be. I could plant crops and have them go through 1 000 years of selective breeding and evolution, or if I can control his power, just grow them for 1 year under 5 minutes. I could experiment with fermenting, alcohol and things that take tons of time to mature or get done. I mean, it has to have some kind of control over the power if it can target only opponents on the field and ignore allies. 

After my wonderful soak I felt clean, refreshed and lighter, so I dry up with a provided towel, dress myself in my filthy, dirty clothes. I am definitely going shopping tomorrow. Then go for dinner in the dining hall of the inn. 

The place looked like the typical tavern, the kitchen, then the bar connected to it and the rest of the hall was full of tables and chairs. The place was halfway full of patrons and waitresses were moving around serving adventurer parties, scholars and ordinary citizens. I sit at a table in a corner, away from the gazes of the crowd and browse the menu. A lot of the products don’t sound familiar at all, but at least it says what is meat, veggies, beans or fruit. I observe how other patrons call a waitress and do the same, then order a veggie salad, bean soup, meat dish with some kind of sauce and fruit plate for desert. For drinking I ordered fruit juice. There was no way I was drinking alcohol before I knew how strong it was and I was feeling a lot more comfortable with my position in this world. There was just no telling what would happen if I got drunk and spilled all my grievances with my situation on some random stranger. There was even a chance I could drunk summon my creatures and destroy the inn and get in a lot of trouble. No, no alcohol for this responsible adult woman. 

When my order arrived, as always I prepare Dian Keto and then start eating my salad. The vegetables are fresh and crunchy, some are sweet, others juicy and there is acidity from the dressing. And salt, I definitely missed salt after not eating any for 6 days. The curry doesn’t count, because it was so spicy it could have been only salt and I wouldn’t have tasted it. 

The bean soup also has veggies, but these are well boiled together and are nice and soft. There is a hint of sweetness like from a cooked onion or carrot, but the savory and salty tastes are more pronounced. The warmth from the soups spreads through my body and fills it with energy. Ah, how I missed proper, tasty food. Seasonings make all the difference in the world sometimes. 

I drink a little from my fruit juice to cleanse my palate, savoring the taste that reminds me of mixed fruit drink of peach and strawberry from my world and then begin eating the meat dish. Can’t say I am enjoying it as much as the rest. The meat is not tough exactly, but is chewier than I would like and there is heaviness to it that I don’t like. It is some wild game that was not cooked with a method to reduce or mask that specific flavor. It is still better than my skewers without any seasoning, but that is hardly a flattering comparison. The sauce improves the taste, but not by much. I still finish everything on my plate and move on to the fruit platter. 

Now this, this is an enjoyable experience. Every fruit has different kind of sweetness to it, with some sourness from a berry here or a citrus there. Some have the consistency of watermelon with a different taste, other are like pear, but more sweet and a little sour. There are firm ones like an apple, but tasting like a combination of banana and some sour berry and soft ones like bananas, but with the taste of a cherry. It is fun to expect a certain flavor from seeing the fruit and its texture and then experiencing something completely new and unexpected. It is going to be hell on my cooking abilities until I memorize the different flavors, but I will get there eventually. 

I finish my meal and a little too stuffed, I make my way to my room on the second floor. I unlock the door with the key the proprietress gave me and find the room quite small, but tidy. There is a desk and a chair on the left wall, a night stand under the window on the wall in front of me and a bed squeezed between the right wall and the night stand. On the right wall is also another door and when I open it, there is a toilet and a sink very close together. At least the toilet isn’t one of those holes in the ground types I was expecting and the have running water. 

I take the book of laws from my backpack, place the pack beside the bed and then throw myself on the bed and start reading. Did I mention there is a device that looks like a night lamp on both the desk and night stand? I press a button on it and it lights up, allowing me to see the book without problems. Of course because I am not feeling entirely safe and also in order to know when midnight comes I activate my second copy of Emissaries. I will have to buy a watch if they have been invented. 

I start by reading my official documents. According to them I was born in town, my parents died at some point and I was raised in an orphanage, received education there and at age 15 left the place. The next four years or rotations describe me getting by on day jobs and living in various inns. So that was what she meant by this becoming my birth place and home town. 

I start reading the book of laws and can’t say I am surprised at some of them, but others are very unexpected. The big ones are the usual, no murder, rape, theft, kidnapping. You are allowed to kill in self defense and the defense of others, but it is preferable to only incapacitate, wound or maim in these situations. I was pleased to see a law against slavery. There is also a law against pulling out bladed weapons in public, unless required or you are part of the guards. Staffs and blunt weapons are allowed to be carried without a sheath, but casting of spells is prohibited outside designated areas. There are some minor laws about not blocking traffic, loitering, making way for officials and nobility and such, but that was more common sense than law. There was also an explanation about duels and exceptions of killing an opponent during one. So dueling is an accepted practice to air out grievances between individuals. Better be careful not to piss someone off. Interesting thing I read is about dungeons and their taxation. Every dungeon is required to be reported to the Adventurers Guild or the Government, so a confirmation team can be send. The entry fee that the government decides based on what items can be found inside. It sounds a little like goods export tax or something. I wonder if they will find me to demand money for the items I took from the dungeon? They knew about the items when making my ID, so if they were going to it would have been then. Ah, here is the law hey mentioned about people from other worlds. When found someone is from another world, because we often hide that fact from people, the person is to be registered in the town/city they were found in as born and raised there. ID is to be provided free of charge, because we without a doubt have local money to pay for such things, ha. I bet they will report to the higher ups and then the word will spread to the nobles and maybe even the royalty. I so don’t want to be bothered by troublesome things. 

Emissaries vanishes from the room and let’s me know it is midnight. I have covered the most important laws for me to know, so I leave the book on the night stand, then activate a new Emissaries card so I am safe during the night and because there would probably be an investigation team send to the dungeon I use Magic Removal on the field spell Forest and turn of the lights. It is time to sleep.

Totally forgot if I destroyed the field spell in a previous chapter.

10