Intermission
226 3 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Now that there are other humans in the story, there needs to be an intermission in another POV.

After Jessica left the government building, the official that covered her case immediately sprinted to action. She wrote 2 letters and found 2 runners to deliver them to their destinations. 

“This one is to be send to the Lord directly. Don’t give it to a servant or a family member, but ask to meet him and hand it to him directly. And this is a request for an investigation team to be dispatched from the Adventurer’s Guild. It concerns the discovery of a new dungeon. You can give it to a receptionist, but make sure to emphasize it is about a newly discovered dungeon.” 

The lady official made sure they knew what they were doing and send them on their way. She then sat on her desk chair and contemplated the events of the day. Her department didn’t have a lot of work typically, so most days were spend with light amounts of work distributed between just 3 people. That is how big her department was. But having both a dungeon discovery and an other world-er in the same day was a lot. People from other worlds were so rare, they were counted as Legendary encounter and usually were a precursor to great change or danger. This one however was probably going to be different, she was a Traveler. Not a World Traveler, but Traveler non the less. The precursors were the ones that are Summoned, Called or Lost. Actually, no. Summoned ones were, well summoned after the appearance of a Demon Lord, or Demons or whatever the danger was. So only the other two, ones arriving by the will of the world or the Goddess of Travel. Ones that Traveled by their on will still brought change, but not world threatening danger, unless they came here to conquer the world. This girls certainly had what it took to achieve something like that, having an occupation in the 4th tier at the age of 19. But now that she send the letter to the Lord, this problem was out of her hands and in those of her superiors. She only had to deal with the team that would be send to check the dungeon and then contact the one that discovered it in order to settle the monetary compensation they should receive for the service.

***

The lord of the town was half buried in paperwork concerning the daily running of the town, when there was a knock on his door, which mercifully gave him a reason to take a  break from all the bureaucratic bullshit he had to deal with. He straightened his back to look more presentable and with an even, but commanding voice answered. "Come in."

The door opened and the head butler walked into the room. And his name was most certainly not something like Jarvis or Alfred or Jeeves, because this was another world and here butler names were different. He bowed professionally and started talking.

"Excuse me for bothering you while you work mi lord. A messenger arrived from the government building with a letter addressed for your eyes only. He is waiting for you in the waiting room." This piqued the interest of the Lord, but also granted him a short respite from the tedious paperwork, so he stood up from his desk and followed the butler to the room the messenger was waiting for him.

As soon as the Lord entered the room, the messenger stood up and greeted the Lord with the adequate greeting, then carefully handed the sealed letter envelope to him. "I was ordered to hand this letter directly to you my Lord and no one else."

The Lord ordered the messenger be compensated for his work and then send back, while he walked back to his office with the letter in hand. Once he arrived, he closed the door behind him and activated the enchantments meant to prevent anyone from spying on him and his work, then broke the seal on the letter and started to read it. His eyes grew wider and wider with each line he read, until he finished the letter and exhaled a deep sigh he didn't realize he was holding.

"A Dimension Traveler with a 4th tier job at the age of 19 and a yet unconfirmed new dungeon no more than a day away from town. Both can be great opportunities or dangers, depending on how they are approached. The dungeon, according to the Dimension Traveler is 10 floors goblin dungeon, but the description sounds a little strange. A new goblin variant on every floor and a Lord on the 10th. Maybe the dungeon was a test for the newly arrived Traveler by the Goddess of Travel. We will see, once the Guild Party confirms the existence of the dungeon and its contents. As for the girl, I will have to meet her and assess her and hopefully we can come to an amicable an beneficial relationship or at least a neutral one. In any book about an Other-world-er, things never go well for the people that antagonize them."

The Lord went to a bookshelf and took several books about Other-World-er visits, some historically accurate, others merely legends and started studying the stories of the past and the wants and needs of the people it depicted. Some wanted adventure, other a way to go back home and yet others walked a forbidden path. With some of these he could help, while others he would stop if he could or try to persuade against. He would research how to help with what he could and was feasible for him and would plan a meeting when the dungeon team returned as a pretext to meet the one that discovered the dungeon and giving them a reward for the achievement.

***

The Adventurers Guild is pretty full and very noisy when the messenger arrives to deliver the letter from the Government official. This late in the evening, most parties have returned from their adventures and were celebrating their success or frowning their failures. The messenger approaches a reception counter  for registering quests and starts a conversation with the receptionist.

"I am delivering a letter from the Government building concerning the discovery of a new dungeon." He passes the letter and the receptionist opens it and starts to read. A couple of minutes later she puts the letter down.

"We will dispatch a party first thing tomorrow morning and if the information in the letter is credible, the results from the investigation should be ready in 7 days." The receptionist ask a colleague to take her place and takes the letter to the Guild Master's office to report the work order. The Guild Master reads the letter, thinks about the task a little and then starts contacting people through their ID cards. Less than an hour later 6 people stand in front of him.

"We received a task to confirm and investigate a new dungeon that has appeared close to town. According to the first discoverer, the dungeon is around 4 arns by horse on the road, then you will have to follow her markings moving west another 4-5 arns to reach the dungeon's location. We already had detected its emergence and had a general location and were readying to send search parties for it, but this report narrows the search region. The task of your Ranger is to follow the markings. The report says there were traps on some chests in the dungeon, so I asked for a Rogue to accompany you. There are also apparently goblin mages, shamans, archers, knights, soldiers, rogues, summoners, magic knights and a lord as the last boss. So I asked for a Knight to acts as protection, Magician to counter the spellcasters, And in case something happens a Paladin to heal and protect you. You are to escort a Guild employee that will document everything the dungeon has to offer. Prepare what you will need, because you leave tomorrow morning." The adventuring party salutes and together with the guild employee leaves in order to prepare for their adventure tomorrow.

13