Chapter 4 – Wandering Princess
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1

"Ahhh, nothing like the last bell before the weekend!"

A strong pat on his back caught Kazuki's attention, and he turned to see Shiki, still half-yawning in spite of his enthusiastic statement. It was rare to see him not be his usual lively self in the afterschool hours.

"Where's Tomoda?" he asked Shiki.

"So now you're up for some games? Too bad, they're out today."

As they walked down the busy hallway, Shiki peered into a window. "Besides, it looks like it's raining hard tonight. What's with this weather?"

"Yeah, looks like it. The rain's wearing me out, too. Hate getting my stuff wet."

"Heh. Wearing out my ass," Shiki repeated in a mocking tone. "You look as fresh as ever. Same goes for Amagi. She even hurried out a while ago to attend swimming club. Man, how do you two do it? And she's even in the running for honors, too."

"Hey, I'm serious, Shiki," said Kazuki before a pause. Then, a smirk crept onto his face before he glanced at Shiki. "On another note, you better master the art of looking fresh in spite of adversity. Amamiya won't like it if you look as haggard as you are."

"Bruh! Things have been hell this past week. Whose idea was it that we should cram all the lessons in a week anyway?!" answered Shiki, completely ignoring his friend's last few sentences.

"The other option would be to extend the school year and cut into our break, though..."

"That's not my point! I mean we can just, you know, ignore whatever lessons won't be covered. Have the school admin say something like 'Too bad, teachers, time constraints, you know,'" shrugged Shiki while he continued ranting in an animated manner. "Half the stuff we're learning won't matter when we grow old anyway."

"I do agree with that. Half of school is a sham. I think everyone knows that, Shiki. Except maybe... some of the honor students like Yamada."

"Right? We should head to Four-Eyes and—"

"No."

"Traitor."

Kazuki shrugged at Shiki's reply before likewise taking a look at the cloudy skies outside. He looked on when Shiki interrupted him again.

"So, you leaving early today?"

Kazuki nodded. "Yeah. I will be fetching Hikari today. It's probably gonna pour soon, and I can't let her go home alone like this."

"Well, give my regards to Hikari then. As much as I'd want to go home early, I got some stuff to do still."

"Sure thing."

He and Shiki parted ways, and that left Kazuki some alone time again. Shiki and his conversation had reminded him of the scene this morning at Ms. Sadohara's office.

Kazuki sighed while walking down the stairs. His mind wandered back to the short meeting, and it felt as if Amagi's words were on repeat.

He had rarely seen his childhood friend sound as disappointed as she did earlier, and in spite of his and Shizaki's attempts at cheering her up, she just proved too difficult.

In the end, it was Ms. Sadohara herself who suggested to give everyone a break for just tonight. As no major readings of Fragments were being predicted by the app tonight, it was right on time for a much-needed break.

Actually, imposed would be the right term, given the tone of her voice. She also seemed a completely different person.

Walking into Mu at that state is asking to be killed. If you are planning to foolishly throw your life away, can you not do it in such a weak and pathetic manner?!

Until now, he shivered when he recalled those words that cut deep into Amagi. He had never expected anything like that from Ms. Sadohara, even after the school festival and the Samsara incident.

Reaching the outside of the school building, he looked towards the gymnasium. It left him to wonder how Amagi was doing now. Would she be fine in practice after what went on this morning?

His feet took an instinctive step towards the gymnasium before stopping. Going there to interrupt practice would have been awkward, and he had a commitment with his sister.

First things first. He should just text her tonight and catch up.

2

As predicted, the rain had grown stronger by the time Kazuki had reached Shiroki Girls' Private Academy. When the siblings were halfway to their place, strong winds decided to join the fray, much to their dismay.

That was how they now found themselves sitting under a waiting shed. It was not too far from their home, but there was barely any visibility now that the rain had grown even stronger. It looked like a typhoon from where they waited, and fighting their way through the rain would be foolish.

"Still doing fine?" asked Kazuki to his sister. He set their umbrellas aside before rubbing his arms, desperately patting his inner shirt dry.

Hikari nodded while holding onto her brother's drenched school uniform, its navy color having turned almost black due to the water.

"It's you I'm concerned about, Big Bro. You're wet!"

"Ah, that's nothing." Kazuki shrugged, but he soon came face-to-face with his sister's pouting face.

"Why did you even hand me this in the middle of the rain?"

Kazuki leaned over to his umbrella before opening it, revealing a frayed rib.

"Rain's too strong. Can't get you wet," his voice trailed off when he observed his drenched blazer.

"Big Bro..."

Hikari reached into her bag for a handkerchief. She then leaned closer to wipe some of the sweat and rainwater from Kazuki's forehead and arms.

"That's it. When we get home, you're taking a shower ASAP."

"Yeah, I know, Mom," chuckled Kazuki, looking away in amusement.

Hikari plopped back against the bench. A moment of silence followed, and the two of them stared straight into nothing. The strong rain continued to prevent anything from being seen, and the two continued to sit in silence.

"Say, how do you think Mom and Dad are doing now?" asked Hikari. "I miss having them around."

"What brought this about? Am I becoming too much of a burden for you at home?"

"No, it's nothing like that, Big Bro!"

"Sorry for being boring, too."

"Stop looking down so much on yourself, would you?"

"Okay, okay," Kazuki smiled wryly. It was a half-denial. While they had bonded more over the idol Yuki-tan, someone Hikari now knew under her personal name Yui Kimura, the two of them had maintained what Kazuki felt more like a professional relationship.

It was something that he just cannot help himself with. Even with people like Amagi and Uehara, the intimate moments were there, but until now, being more open was something that he struggled with.

He always felt comfortable with a more mentor-student type of relationship, but it's something he felt he had improved on just a bit ever since he became an Awakener.

"It's just that I miss those days when we're all together. Remember back when we would regularly get visits from Amagi's and Shiki's families, too? Our parents would make the house so loud and vibrant."

"The Amagis came to Shiroki City around... 8 years ago? So you're referring to a time around 6 to 7 years ago. Yeah, it does feel like ages when you think about it. You're just starting out in elementary that time!"

"We're both elementary students!" Hikari followed.

"Time really flies," commented Kazuki.

"Still, I wish for Mom and Dad to come home more often. I miss having them around, and the allowance they send us just doesn't compare to them staying."

It seemed that the rain and their current situation had gotten Hikari into a sentimental mood, much to Kazuki's wonder. Taking a deep breath, he finally asked his question.

"What brought this about? For real," he asked again, seeing through his sister's weighted comments.

"I'm comparing our situation with Sana's."

"Sana?" he initially asked before connecting the dots. "Oh, right! She also has absentee parents, and we only ever see her with that caretaker of his. As for friends..."

"She doesn't have much of them, too. She opened up to me the other day about her mom who came back. I don't know her, but the mom seems pretty nasty."

With that, Kazuki learned back with a soft groan. He could imagine.

Truth be told, he had experienced the full brunt of it. He harbored no hatred towards his parents, but he had more than what he wanted out of his father's strictness. Despite having no ill will towards his father, Kazuki still attributed the guy for the walls he built around his own heart.

Frankly, part of him missed them, but more of him enjoyed the freedom with parents away and their roles replaced by Hikari.

Then again, how could his father see him as nothing more than a disappointment when they've got Hikari? Super responsible do-it-all sister with loads of initiative versus... whatever the hell he was.

All that came out of Kazuki in the form of a snort, something that Hikari took note of.

"Huh? What's going on, Big Bro?"

"Just me also reminiscing about those elementary days. Your energy's pretty infectious, huh?"

"I guess, but that's the charm of a little sister!"

As they spent the time chatting, the rain started to subside. Eventually, the howling winds died down, and what was left was the light drizzle.

"Looks like the coast is clear. Let's go, Hikari."

The two of them, having shared an unexpected bonding session, got up and started their trip back home.

3

They were just a couple of minutes away from the large condominium unit they stayed in. As expected, not a lot of people took this winding path towards their residential district, especially after the rain. Drizzles continued, and his feet splashed the muddy path with each step.

Kazuki looked ahead, and a female figure at an intersection came into view.

"You see that, Hikari?"

Seated against a lamppost, the petite figure was using an oversized jacket to shelter herself from the rain. It was similar to how he put his blazer over Hikari's head not too long ago.

The two siblings approached the person, with Kazuki volunteering to do it first.

From the distance, he can see some of the blonde hair peeking through the edge of the figure's torn jacket.

"Wait a minute..."

Before he can finish, his sister had already run ahead of him. Her hurried steps on the puddles splashed water everywhere while he tried to catch up.

"Sana!"

Kazuki likewise quickened his pace, stopping just a few inches away from his sister.

"Sana?!"

"Sana, what happened?" asked Hikari, quickly putting her umbrella over her friend's head.

Instead of a straight reply, Sana only curled herself inside the jacket that acted as a makeshift blanket.

Looking at the blonde girl, Kazuki could tell that something's awfully wrong. She had always been the shy type who enveloped herself with the aura of anxiety, but this time, it seemed much worse. Without his full intent, he found himself slightly bending his knees.

He offered an outstretched hand.

Finally revealing herself from her protection, Sana sniffed before throwing herself at Kazuki.

The Aratas stared at each other, unsure of what to do. Kazuki could not comprehend his sister's shocked expression, and he himself was not certain what to make of this turn of events.

The sound of the rain grew tenfold, and the ominous weather now threatened to once again drench all of them if they don't hurry. To drive the point home, thunder clapped from the distance.

"This is getting bad. Let's hurry," he suggested.

"Yes. Come with us, Sana!" suggested Hikari, grabbing her classmate by the hand.

There was zero hesitation in Sana's eyes when she said yes.

4

Inside the warm comfort of the Arata residence, there was no hint of the storm that raged outside. The bright interiors and the fragrant smell of tea gave Kazuki a sense of tranquility. He can only hope that the same applied to the girl seated beside him on the sofa.

"Are you feeling better now?" he asked, taking note of the girl's wet hair.

Sana nodded before bringing her attention back to the open TV.

"What happened to you out there? Where's Yura?"

Once again, she nodded without saying a word.

Kazuki pursed his lips. Before he could think of the proper response, the young girl lunged at him.

Wrapping her arms around his torso, she buried her face into his body while sobbing.

It was an unprecedented outburst of expression that Kazuki had thought Sana was incapable of. In all their encounters, she was extremely withdrawn, and while he had seen her express restrained laughter and joy with Hikari, this was completely out of the left field.

"I'm staying with you, Big Bro!"

"Eh?" asked Kazuki. "What do you mean by that?"

"From now on, I'm staying here and living with you and Hikari!"

Of course, Kazuki knew what she meant. But for her to be so literal about it? And it was Sana, of all people, making such an audacious request.

It was not that the girl was unwelcome, but did she just ask for something akin to an adoption request? In a manner so upfront? Something so serious must have happened to cause this shift in personality.

"W-wait, I'm lost. Sana, what happened?"

"It's Mama!"

"Seriously?"

How ironic when he and Hikari were just talking about parents and a bit about Sana's mother on their way back.

"She told me to leave! Called me names and wanted me to stop seeing you and Hikari!" cried Sana while she started hitting Kazuki with soft blows of closed fists.

Aren't you exaggerating things a bit? What kind of mother would say and do that so casually? was the first thought he had on his mind, but he can feel no hint of a lie from the way the girl spoke and how she embraced him.

All he can do was feel sorry, as he did not know what the best course of action would be.

There does exist some shitty parents, huh?

While Sana continued throwing her tantrum, Kazuki raised his hands, unable to contain his expression of surprise.

He did not recognize this little girl embracing him. This was not the Sana Kurashiki that he knew.

Was that all a shy façade, a mask that she'd been putting on? He gave it some thought.

No. It was repressed emotion. He had barely known Sana's mother, but the way Hikari talked about what she knew of her, he could slowly piece together what kind of household this girl lived in.

"Okay, Sana. First things first. You're telling me that the reason you're there was because you ran away from home? And that you waited in that exact spot because you knew Hikari and I would pass by and notice you."

Sana nodded.

Oh, man, what should I do?

The approaching smell of tea interrupted their conversation momentarily as Hikari placed the freshly brewed tea on the table.

"Drink up. Perfect refreshments to calm everyone down," she urged with a smile.

However, that smile would not last when her eyes finally got a better picture of the position they're in.

"Eehh?! What's going on, Sana?" frantically asked Hikari.

With a shrug, Kazuki started narrating the story.

He was not quite sure how his sister would take to it. It was her first time ever to be faced with something like this. He wanted nothing but to help Sana, but he was not sure what approach to take. Perhaps Hikari can help him?

Maybe go with Sana to their place as siblings and explain things over?

"Okay, it's decided. Sana, welcome to the Arata household!"

Hikari beamed while extending her arms out. Sana then went back to her modest profile and took the sister's hand with a smile.

Kazuki's jaw dropped.

"Come again?" he stammered.

"I said, 'Welcome to the Arata household!' to Sana."

"W-wait a minute, we're just..."

"Got a problem with that, Big Bro?" Hikari glared.

"Not with having Sana over. Nothing related to her as a person. She can absolutely stay here if she wants to, but I'm worried about the possible consequences. It's not exactly... erm... legal to just take a minor from the streets and having her live in."

"But Sana is not a 'minor from the streets' or anything like that. She's our friend."

"Y-yeah, but the police don't care about that. We'll be criminals, you know?"

"Now now, we can pass Sana off as an actual sibling. As long as she doesn't get found out, and as long as her mom and caretaker don't go reporting a missing child, we should be in the clear."

"Like that's gonna happen. And what's gotten into you, Hikari? I thought you'd think of a safer solution to this."

"Just look at her, Big Bro."

"Why does this remind me of a plot from a popular novel series that had some controversial undertones? This is getting crazy."

"Silly Big Bro and your nerd stuff! It's not like she'll be here for a long while. It's the weekend, and after a while, we can escort her back once things have cooled down. We can't just let her sit out to chill to death outside, right?"

Sana shook her head to continue taking the side of her defendant.

"Mama will not be looking for me. Not after what she said and what I did."

"Are you sure about that? I mean, I've seen children do way crazier things, but the parents always forgive and try to reconcile and all."

"Speaking from experience?" smirked Hikari in a teasy way that he did not completely appreciate.

"Come on, I'm serious here," Kazuki groaned.

"It's not the first time she's done something like this," softly interrupted Sana. "And the last time she did, she just left without another word, dumping me with Yura. Then, the next day, she came back and said we're leaving town for good."

Hikari's arms found their way around Sana's body for a gentle embrace. It was a view that Kazuki found touching, and putting aside the context, he would have completely loved to have that scene last longer. For both Sana and Hikari's sakes.

Still, the newfound knowledge about Sana's family life disturbed him more than he would want to.

"Why haven't you mentioned anything before?" asked Hikari. "Come, we'll take care of you, and we'll do our best to help you with your mom. Don't you agree, Big Bro?"

Kazuki gave it some thought. Putting aside his previous concerns regarding legalities and such, he just cannot turn both his sister and this nice girl down.

He talked with much hesitation.

"Sure thing. We'll be here for you."

Hikari's expression was filled with joy and excitement.

"So from now, you'll be known as Sana Arata! Welcome to the family!"

The two girls embraced while Kazuki stepped back, still unsure of his decision. Leaving them together, he walked back to his room with his smartphone in hand.

1