Chapter Three: Golden Apple
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"This is the main dining hall," Midas said, leading Shade into a room that looked like a cross between a cafeteria and a restaurant. There were some booths and tables of various sizes. A window on one wall led to the kitchen where people were picking up their food.

As they reached the middle of the room, a man's voice called over the crowd. "Hey, Boss, catch!" An apple flew across the room towards Midas. Midas raised his right hand and caught the apple, which promptly turned gold in his grasp. Some laughter and giggles erupted across the room.

Midas rolled his eyes and tossed the apple into a nearby garbage can. He turned back towards Shade. "Three meals a day are provided here if you want them. Anything else you want, or need, must be ordered through the bi-weekly supply runs. You can do that through our system on your laptop or phone. Anything you order, you will pay for when you pick it up." Shade nodded his understanding and Midas turned to lead him to the next destination. Glancing around to make sure no one was looking and Midas' back was turned, Shade pulled the golden apple from the trash. He placed it into an inner cloak pocket as he followed Midas out. Midas showed him a few more places, such as the medical facilities, before returning to the top floor.

 

They stood outside the door to Midas' office. "Now we are back where we started and I'd like to speak with you in my office." Midas opened the door, holding it for Shade. Shade entered and stood between the chairs in front of the desk. Midas closed the door and walked to the other side of the desk. "Please, sit."

"I prefer to stand if you don't mind," Shade countered, calmly.

Midas sighed, looking exasperated; he remained standing as well. "Fine; I saw you take the apple. I'm used to this coming up at some point with new people but it's never been on day one before. You'll find I'm pretty good to work for but some things piss me right the hell off and this is one of them. I brush off the pranks. The men laugh; it builds camaraderie. I'm not thrilled that it's at the expense of my curse but I let it go." His face grew darker as he spoke, "Stealing objects I've turned, even from the garbage, to sell for personal gain; however, I will not be letting that slide." Midas fumed; I don't care how much I want to keep him here- I'm not budging on this! An undercurrent of rage now flowed through Midas' voice as he spoke. If Shade hadn't been accustomed to being in the presence of dangerous, angry men, he'd have had trouble hiding his fear. From practice, he was able to maintain the completely emotionless facade he'd always used with Oliver. Midas continued, "I pay you, very well, I might add. You do not fucking get extra and you only get one warning." He sat in his chair, leaning back and looking up at Shade coldly. "Now, you can either hand over the apple, or, I will dock a month's pay. That apple, by the way, is only worth about 10,000."

"I would like to keep the apple," Shade spoke evenly.

To Midas, it seemed as though Shade was unfazed. His request was surprising. "You want to keep the apple and forgo a month's salary, 100,000- Why?" Midas grew very suspicious, though he couldn't imagine what, exactly, the assassin could possibly gain from the apple that wasn't monetary.

"Am I required to answer that?" Shade hoped to throw Midas off just enough to get out without having to explain himself; I can't come up with a good lie for this that would make any kind of sense.

"I- Guess not," Midas was confused and losing what little patience remained; I'm officially sick of even looking at him. Let the freak keep the apple. "Have it your way. The apple is yours, no pay this month. You are dismissed," Midas waved him away. Shade bowed slightly before leaving. Midas remained confused about the encounter; no one has ever kept the gold before...

 

Shade entered his new apartment. He saw that all his things had been delivered and now sat in the middle of the room. He closed and locked the door, then sat at the dining table. He pulled the apple from his pocket, setting it on the table; that was close... Good thing I had a bit of money saved before I came here. Shade opened his laptop and figured out how to place a supply-run order. He created a list of supplies, confirmed he had enough money, then finalized an order. He was pleased to see the next run was happening in just a couple of days so he would not have to wait long. He realized he hadn't thought to ask if withholding pay included withholding meals at the mess hall; hopefully not. Midas doesn't seem like he would withhold food as punishment for a first offense... He found it odd thinking about Midas as someone he had now met in person. He had been aware of Midas for so long, collecting information on him for years. He found it surreal to have been in his presence, to be at Styx HQ. Shade picked up the apple again, admiring it; could this finally be the key to a cure?

 

Shade entered the supply pick-up room, located on the ground floor. Shipments from the mainland were received and distributed from there; the place resembled a warehouse. Near the entrance, a woman sat at a desk with a computer. Shade approached the desk and the woman looked up at him. "You must be Shade, right?"

"Yes," he confirmed.

She entered something into her computer, then looked at him. "You have a big order; I'll get you help transporting it."

"That would be great; I appreciate it," Shade responded politely.

"Alright, just need your payment, then we can do that."

Shade handed her a stack of cash, "Here you are."

The woman seemed surprised, "Oh, most people don't use cash." She gave it a quick count and then waved over a man who was sitting across the room. She pointed to a stack of boxes and potted plants, "That stack there is yours." She addressed the man, "Please help Shade here move that stuff to his room."

"Yes, ma'am," The man grabbed a wheeled cart and Shade helped him load it. "I'll follow you then," The man said, taking hold of the cart's handle.

 

As Shade and the man exited the elevator, Midas was leaving his office. He and Shade hadn't crossed paths since the first day. Midas was still annoyed and suspicious but he also still wanted to keep Shade at Styx. He decided to hide his negative feelings in an attempt to make Shade more comfortable, "Getting settled?"

"Yes, just some things to make it homier," Shade politely responded.

"Guess you enjoy plants," Midas noted the unusual amount.

"Nature tends to help one feel more relaxed," Shade mused.

"Suppose so. Well, have a good day. And you as well," Midas added, looking at the man pushing the cart.

"Thanks, Boss," He responded and Midas gave them a wave as he boarded the elevator.

His wedding band caught Shade's attention again; I've not been given instructions regarding protecting a wife and he didn't mention one while he gave me the tour... Shade addressed the man pushing the cart, "Hey; is the boss married?"

"No; he used to be but she passed away. I guess he never took off the ring."

"Ah, I see," Shade nodded and opened his door for the man.

The man unloaded the stuff in Shade's apartment and Shade thanked him. As he was about to leave, Shade stopped him. "Wait, do you think you could help me do one more thing? I can give you what cash I have left, it's only thirty- But I'd like the bedroom furniture moved into this room; I don't think I can do it alone."

The man considered for a moment then nodded. "Sure, I can do that; shouldn't be too hard," He replied.

"Thank you." The man helped Shade move the bed, nightstands, wardrobe, dresser, and standing mirror from the bedroom into the main living area. Shade handed him some cash and thanked him again as he left with the cart.

 

It was Friday evening and Shade had taken a night-time walk on the beach. He was returning to his room when Midas' apartment door opened. Three beautiful blonde women exited into the hall. Shade froze for a moment, quickly surveying them; they look happy. The women were smiling and laughing; Midas was right behind them. "Thank you, ladies, for a lovely evening," He smiled at them, his demeanor charming.

The four of them noticed Shade and one of the women smiled at him. "Hey there," She greeted him in a bubbly, flirtatious tone.

Shade bowed his head slightly, "Good evening." The other women smiled and said good evening as well then carried on to the elevator, giving a wave to the men as the doors closed. Shade returned the gesture, then glanced at Midas before turning back to his door.

Midas' smile faded and he suddenly felt embarrassed; what was that look? I can't see his face; was it judgmental? "Hey, just a second," Midas called after him. Shade turned back to him. "The way those women reacted to you just now- I bet you'd be pretty popular around here, especially if you ditched the get-up. I could introduce you, if you like, they seemed interested." Midas smiled again; I already assured him women are well treated at Styx. It should be obvious those women were having a good time. Perhaps now he would be interested? Midas had introduced people with success before. He noticed residents at Styx seemed happier when they had social connections with each other; he'll be more likely to want to stick around if he gets to know the people here.

"No thanks, I prefer being alone," Shade answered blankly.

Midas pressed on, unconvinced; bullshit. "Oh come on, what's your type? Everyone has one."

"Not me," Shade remained calm outwardly; please, leave me alone.

"I bet I can guess it," Midas was not deterred. "Brunette, tall, bright eyes, medium build, quiet type- Am I close?"

"No," Shade responded more firmly this time.

"Hmm; maybe, dyed hair and tattoos?"

"Enough, please-" Shade placed his hand on his neck, rubbing it as he attempted again to shut down the conversation.

Midas didn't seem to be hearing him at all. "Short and feisty?" Midas spoke with a salesman-like charm.

"Men!" Shade snapped at him, betraying his emotions. He immediately regretted what he had done; shit! Did I just fucking accidentally declare myself a gay man!? Shade tensed and his heart began to pound as he prepared for an altercation.

Midas processed the outburst, "Oh... Oh!" His face turned red and he looked away from Shade, running his hand through his hair. "Okay, well..." He hesitated; I didn't even consider, even though I employ a fair amount of gay men as well... "I know some of those too..."

Shade stared at him for a moment; wait, he's- Okay with it!? In the Desmond Mafia, if a man were discovered to be gay- He'd be in danger... This place; it's so different here. "Um- I'm sorry, that I yelled." Shade stumbled over his words, "Thank you, but I, uh, really wasn't lying about preferring to be alone."

"Okay," Midas nodded slightly. "If you ever do change your mind, I can introduce you to some guys I know. Have a good night," Midas smiled at him again, in what he hoped was a reassuring kind of way.

"You too," Shade bowed slightly then slipped into his room, closing the door and leaning on it; his heart was still racing.

 

The next night, Shade picked up a late dinner and headed back to his room. He called the elevator and the doors opened to reveal Midas and another blonde woman, Shade was sure she wasn't one of the three from before, in the corner; they were locked in a kiss. "Oh!" The woman reacted with surprise when she realized the elevator had stopped.

Shade looked away, "Uh, I'll just take the stairs, sorry."

"Nonsense," Midas objected. "That's far too many floors. Just get on. We'll stop while you're here," He laughed. Shade reluctantly stepped into the elevator and stood in the other corner. He pulled out his phone in order to avoid looking their way. Holding his phone and food bag in one hand he stared at the screen while rubbing the side of his neck with the other hand. Midas glanced at him; is he truly embarrassed right now, just from that? The greatly feared assassin... Midas smiled to himself, amused at the thought. The woman put her arms around Midas, holding him the rest of the ride. When they reached the top floor, Midas spoke to Shade, "After you."

"Thanks..." Shade mumbled, stepping out of the elevator and heading to his room; I shouldn't be surprised about the fact that he gets around- He's powerful, rich, and good-looking... Shade tried to shake the image; why is this making me feel weird? Is it because the women are choosing it? That's... Fucked. Shade sat at his kitchen table and began to eat; whatever, I'll probably get used to it.

 

Sunday night, Shade was in the hall when Midas exited the elevator with yet another, different, blonde woman. "Ah, Shade," Midas smiled. "I realized I've been being rude, not introducing my dates when we happen to cross paths. This is Heather. Heather, I'm sure you must have heard of Shade."

"Oh yes," She smiled at him. "People have been talking about you. We're all curious, I hope when you get settled you'll get to know some of us."

"R-right. Nice to meet you," Shade responded; Christ, what is it with this place? At Desmond HQ, people kept to themselves unless you were in the same unit. Seems like it's mostly him though... When I go to get food people ignore me... Or maybe they're afraid of me but braver in front of Midas?

"Well, enjoy your evening," Midas smiled then said, more quietly, to Heather, "I know I will." She giggled and the two moved towards his apartment. Shade watched them paw at each other as they entered Midas' room; ugh, something about that pisses me off. Shade's eyes lingered on Midas' closed door for a moment before he entered his own apartment.

1