Chapter Eighteen: Desmond Bride
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"So, in the end, they thought that I must have taken the wife as some kind of trophy," Shade concluded his explanation of how he met Marco.

"That's where that came from! The research done on you turned up a rumor that you take women; but, no supporting evidence was found so I dismissed it as nonsense."

Shade chuckled. "That was six years ago and I've helped him on quite a few occasions since then but we never staged anything like that again. He's helped me too, not with my missions but other things..."

They sat in silence for a little while, listening to the water and enjoying the night air. Midas pointed out at the water, "They're almost here."

When the boat docked, Marco hopped off and immediately embraced Shade. "You have no idea how good it is to see you. Thank you so much for your help."

"Good to see you too. How is the girl?"

Marco stepped back onto the boat and scooped a little girl into his arms; she was sound asleep. Marco carried her over to Shade. Midas had approached and stood beside Shade. "I gave her some sedatives before I removed the tracker from her neck." Shade moved aside her long copper-red waves to examine the back of her neck. Marco had bandaged it; there were blood stains on the bandage.

"We should take her to the infirmary so they can check her," Midas suggested, looking at the bandages.

Marco looked at him for the first time, then looked around the island. "Am- I where I think I am? Are you-"

"Midas," He introduced himself. "I'll shake your hand once we get the child in a bed. Follow me," Midas instructed as he started leading the way to the infirmary.

Marco let Midas get a little ways ahead of them; then, he spoke to Shade in a hushed tone. "The Golden King, are you sure about this?"

"Yes; I'm sure," Shade replied firmly.

"How long have you been here?"

"About two months."

"That's not very long. How are you sure you can trust him?"

"For one thing, he has no ties to the Desmonds; for another, he's a father- A real one, with a happy daughter. I know you and I haven't seen very many of those but he is one. Besides, I trusted you right away so, maybe, you should trust my gut."

"Alright, fair enough," Marco gave in but remained wary.

"Speaking of fathers though, what's her story?"

"Her dad did have a lot of gang ties, mostly through his family, but he was a decent man. He and his wife died in a car accident and his sister took her. She's not a good woman; she's the one who sold her. I've been looking into the mother's family and it seems as though they have no idea the girl exists or that her mother has passed. They don't know the father's family at all. Looking into them, I believe her mother's younger brother would be very interested in taking his niece."

"If her parents were good people, why did they have contact with his crime family and no contact with her family?" Shade asked with skepticism.

"As far as I can tell, she lost contact with her family when she was around sixteen and fell in with a bad crowd. Later on, I think that she just felt too guilty, or ashamed, or something. I think he still had contact with his family to stay close to his grandmother; I bet anything that he would have cut ties when she passed."

Shade nodded, "Okay; I understand..."

"Anyway, it was difficult to track her family. I'm betting that the Desmond Mafia likely can't do it very easily either. You know they'll only put so much effort in before they just give up. Their bride system is obviously one of the sleaziest, most illegal things they do and they won't want to draw attention to it." Shade nodded again; he's right. It's easier for them to just get a different girl than to try to take back one that's been saved...

 

They arrived at the infirmary and a nurse placed her in a bed. A doctor checked her over, then addressed Marco. "She seems to be doing well. The incision is clean and the sedative you gave her should last her through the night. If she is comfortable with you, you should probably be here when she wakes to calm her. So you should get some rest and be back here around seven." Marco thanked him and the doctor nodded, leaving the room.

"Let's get you set up with a room then," Midas said to Marco, pulling out his phone.

"Actually, Sir," Shade interjected. "I was going to have him stay in my apartment with me- If that would be acceptable?"

Midas' stomach dropped a little, the jealous feeling returning; when did I become so jealous? I have the power to say no- And part of me really wants to... But that wouldn't be right... "Alright, I suppose that's okay."

A guard that had been following them quietly through the building spoke up. "Sir, as chief of security, I must advise against allowing an individual who hasn't been properly vetted to stay on the same floor as yourself." He spoke calmly, with authority.

"I am aware; you said the same thing regarding bringing Shade straight to the bodyguard's quarters. I took a chance with him and now I trust Shade, and Shade trusts him, so I'll allow it."

"Very well, Sir," The guard stood down.

"Let's go then," Midas said, leading the way to the elevator.

When they got off the elevator, Shade led Marco to his apartment; he opened the door and stood to the side to allow Marco in. "Go ahead and make yourself comfortable and I'll be in shortly," Shade offered; I want to thank Midas properly before I go to bed.

"Alright, thanks." Marco turned to Midas and held out his right hand to shake. "And thank you, for providing a safe place." Midas held up his right hand, showing its golden color, and held his left hand out to shake instead. "Oh- Right, sorry." Marco switched hands and shook. Midas gripped tightly; so Marco gripped back, frowning slightly. Shade watched them; what is he doing? When they released each other, Marco went into Shade's apartment and Shade closed the door.

Shade nodded towards Midas' door and Midas opened it, letting him in first. When Midas closed his door, he was suddenly embraced from behind; Shade rested his forehead on his shoulder. "Thank you, Midas. You have no idea what this means to me... And, please, do not overthink this. Marco is my friend; that's all he's ever been and all he will ever be. Don't get too in your head with this." Midas' heart was pounding; Shade turned him around. He removed the converter, then kissed him deeply before putting it back on. "You should get a bit of rest too; don't let your thoughts carry you away." Shade opened Midas' door and headed back to his room. Shade entered his apartment where Marco was already laying on the couch, clearly exhausted. Shade threw a pillow at him. "You take the bed; that is an order."

"Yes, ma'am," He stood up.

"Don't," Shade warned. "I know we're alone right now but nobody, and I mean not a single soul, here knows me as Vee. They only know Shade."

Marco nodded, "Okay; got it- No problem."

"Now, let's get a couple hours."

"Okay. Goodnight, Shade," He said as he sank onto the bed.

"Goodnight, Marco," Shade replied, laying on the couch.

 

A little after six in the morning, Midas approached Shade's door to retrieve him and Marco so they could go check on the child. As he was about to knock, he heard Marco's voice. "Mmm, Shade, it's so good."

He knocked loudly; what's happening in there? "Come in," Shade called; Midas entered. Marco was sitting at the dining table with a plate of pancakes in front of him and Shade stood in front of the stove. "Want any, Sir?" He asked Midas.

"They're banana nut," Marco added.

"Or I can do plain, if you prefer."

"Uh- I'll have a couple banana nut," Midas said, sliding onto the bench seat across from Marco; what's happening is pancakes, you dirty-minded fool... They smell so good.

"Great," Shade acknowledged and made a couple more. He set them on the table in front of Midas.

"Thank you," Midas said as he picked up the syrup bottle to top them. Shade sat beside him on the bench, without any food in front of him.

"Aren't you having some?" Marco asked him.

"Oh, I don't really have much of a sweet tooth anymore; I was gonna grab a sandwich at the vending machine a little later instead."

"I've seen you eat eight of these before," Marco said in disbelief.

Shade laughed, a little embarrassed. "That's probably how I ended up putting myself off of them."

Midas' phone buzzed and he checked it. "The girl is still sleeping soundly; she didn't wake in the night," He informed them.

"Good," Marco looked relieved.

"What's her name?" Shade asked, realizing he didn't know.

"It's Erica," Marco told them.

 

The three of them arrived at the infirmary just before seven. Erica was still sleeping in bed. Marco took a chair at her bedside and motioned for Shade to join him. "I shouldn't; I might frighten her."

"I guess that's true," Marco agreed.

Erica showed signs of waking up. Shade backed away, across the room, so that Marco could calm her first; Midas joined him. Erica stirred, sat up, and wiped her eyes looking around. "Where are we?" She asked, a little frightened.

"We're at a doctor's right now. They made sure you were okay and gave you a bed to sleep in."

"Are the bad guys still chasing us?"

"I don't think so but we need to stay here a bit to make sure before we go anywhere."

"Okay..." She seemed relieved.

"How does your neck feel?" Marco asked her.

"It hurts a little."

"I bet, but is it a little, a little or a little, a lot?"

"A little, a little."

"Okay, let me know if it hurts more and the doctor can look."

"Alright... Who are they?" Erica pointed to Shade and Midas. "She looks like a tiger."

"Uh-" Marco hesitated for a second, stunned. "His name is Shade and his is Midas. Shade helped us get here and this place belongs to Midas."

Since Erica seemed unafraid, Midas began to approach. When Shade didn't move, Midas grabbed his hand, leading him to the bedside. Marco's eyes locked momentarily on their clasped hands. "It's nice to meet you, Erica," Midas smiled warmly.

"Hi," She responded before looking at Shade again. "You're pretty."

"Th-thank you." Erica's insistence on Shade being female went largely unnoticed by Midas, him having chalked it up to kids being strange sometimes.

"I'm hungry; can I have breakfast?" Erica asked.

"Of course," Midas responded. "You can have anything you like, what is your favorite?"

"French toast!"

"Coming right up then." Midas pulled out his phone and stepped away.

After her breakfast had been delivered and she'd eaten, the doctor examined her neck once more. "Everything looks good and clean; it should heal nicely. I can clear her to leave the infirmary."

"Are there other kids here?" She asked Midas excitedly.

"Sorry, but there are no other kids here right now."

"How old is your daughter?" Marco asked him.

"Twenty-one."

"Oh... Huh." Marco was surprised; Shade snickered.

"How old are you, Marco?" Erica asked.

"I'm thirty-five."

"Wow that's a lot; you guys are old..." Marco smiled and Shade chuckled. "Is the twenty-one-year-old the youngest person?" Erica asked Midas.

"No; there are a few younger people here- Buuut, my daughter loves playing games. Do you like games?" Midas grinned.

"Yes!"

"Then, I'm going to call her real quick," Midas declared, stepping away to make the call.

Mari and Jason were still asleep in Mari's room when her phone rang. "Dad, ugh, you know we didn't go to bed until after one."

"Yeah; that's why you two don't know yet."

"Know what?"

"That, in the middle of the night, we acquired two visitors at Styx. We're helping a man who's helping a little girl escape being a child bride."

"What!? How did that happen?"

"The man is a friend of Shade's. Anyway, there is a nine-year-old little girl here who is disappointed that there are no kids around for her to play games with."

"Aww, is she cute? I bet she's cute. Bring her to me!"

Midas chuckled, "Okay; see you soon."

 

They took Erica to Mari's apartment, where Erica fell in love with Mari instantly. Marco agreed to let Mari and Jason take care of her while they discussed what to do next. Midas, Marco, and Shade returned to Shade's apartment for discussion. Marco laid out what he knew about the uncle that he believed would take her. Shade advised Midas on how to direct his intelligence team to be on the lookout for Desmond Mafia activity. They agreed it was best to wait at least a couple of days before moving her; keeping their ear to the ground in the meantime. "Nothing to do now but wait and listen," Shade concluded.

Midas stood up. "I'll let my men know everything that they need to. I'm sure Mari will keep Erica all day, if you let her, so you two should be able to catch up now. Perhaps we meet back up for dinner at mine?"

"That sounds good," Shade confirmed and Midas left them alone.

When Midas' footsteps had faded down the hall, Marco looked at Shade. "What the hell is going on between you and Midas?" He asked in an accusatory tone.

"What do you mean?" Shade asked nervously.

"Who just takes their bodyguard by the hand like that!? You said he doesn't know you are Vee- So what gives?"

"He doesn't know."

"Is he gay?" Marco asked, surprised.

"No. I mean- I don't know; nothing is going on."

"You're lying."

"It was an accident..." Shade put his head down on the table. "He is straight, I mean, now, he's confused because he likes me and he doesn't know. We're seeing each other? People here don't know about it..."

"They're going to know if he does shit like that."

"He hasn't before!"

"How can you possibly be seeing each other and him not know?" Marco asked, confused.

"Invasive," Shade said. "That's a rather personal question; but, short answer- I keep my clothes on. I do things to him, not him to me."

"Gross."

"Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, jerk."

Marco put his hand on Shade's. "Hey; are you okay?" He asked in a much more sincere concerned tone. "Seems like you may be setting yourself up for disaster..."

"Disaster- You think so?" Shade hesitated, taking a moment. "At this point, I'm living on borrowed time anyway... I want to finally start using it how I want to. If it all blows up in my face-" He hesitated again. "Well, at least I had it for a bit."

"Are you happy?"

"Happier than I've been in a long, long time."

Marco smiled; but inside, he was growing anxious. "Well; alright then..."

 

That evening, everyone met in Midas' apartment for dinner. Even through dinner, Erica remained attached to Mari. When everyone was full, they decided Erica could sleep in Mari's apartment; Jason returned to his own that night. Marco and Shade were last to leave, after Shade helped Midas clean up. Marco and Shade turned in early; Marco insisted Shade keep the bed this time. When he was sure Shade was in deep sleep, Marco slipped out of the room. He approached Midas' door and raised his hand to knock. "I'm behind you." Marco spun around; Midas had gone to his office and was returning.

"I wanted to talk to you."

"Alright then?" Midas raised an eyebrow.

"Somewhere we can't be overheard." Marco glanced at Shade's door.

"Very well. Follow me," Midas led Marco to the roof. "What's this all about then?"

"What is going on between you and Shade?" Marco demanded.

"Did you ask Shade this question? Because I don't intend to tell you anything that he wouldn't."

"He told me you are seeing each other; secretly, I guess?"

"Well then, there you go." Midas felt good knowing that Shade had told someone close to him about them. "He answered your question then; so, why are you asking me?"

"Are you toying with him or something?"

Midas' eyes narrowed, "No; I am not."

"So you claim you care about him?"

"If I fucking didn't, I can't imagine I'd be entertaining this discussion a second longer," Midas said, getting heated; I help him out and he accuses me of using Shade.

"I am not fucking playing around; I swear, you better not hurt him."

"What is this? Do you have feelings for him or something? Maybe you should have told him sooner." Midas frowned; that's got to be it, right?

"You misunderstand-"

"What about it am I misunderstanding? You come in the middle of the night to threaten me because I'm seeing your- Just friend?" Midas emphasized the last words; that's what he called you- A friend, all he's ever been and will ever be. Do you know that's all you are to him?

Marco had tears in his eyes. "You don't fucking get it- I've seen him hurting before; I don't ever want him to feel that way again. That can't happen again- Not like- That night..." Marco trailed off, looking down.

"What night? What are you saying?" Midas suddenly felt anxious.

Marco looked at Midas' right hand. "Do you know what is under his glove?" He asked him.

"I do," Midas answered; I don't think I like where this is going.

"So when I say, I found him curled up on the floor, gripping his neck with that hand, screaming 'why won't I just die'- You know what that fucking means! I picked him up from that; so, yeah, maybe I am- Just a friend- But, there is a reason he still had a phone available for me." Marco's tears streamed down his face. Midas had stopped breathing momentarily as tears came to him; when he said I probably can't use Golden-Touch on myself- That's how he knew! Midas looked at his right hand and turned to the edge of the roof. He gripped the safety chain fence while he cried, gold spreading across it until that section was completely turned. As Marco watched him, something clicked; he saw something in the raw emotion, different, yet similar. The two of them suddenly made sense to him. Marco put his hand on Midas' shoulder. "I-I'm sorry..." He looked down, "I see it now."

"You see what?"

"You," Marco squeezed his shoulder. "You- Are a good man. I haven't seen him like he is now. I got scared. Scared that the happier he got, the more it'd hurt when he realized. I thought you were no different from the others." Marco sighed, "But I see it now; he's truly not alone anymore. You're with him for real..."

"He isn't alone- I won't let him be." Midas' hands slid off the fence.

"Good, maybe you can do for him what I couldn't..." Marco looked away sadly. "Even if you can't though, I just had to know you were going to care enough to try."

"You do love him..."

"Not like I think you might; but yes, he is a very dear friend."

 

When they got back inside, Shade was in the hallway. "Marco, there you are. What were you guys doing?" He became suspicious.

Marco had put on a smile. "I just wanted to get to know Midas a little so, when I couldn't sleep and I saw him leaving his office, we went for a chat." Marco stretched, "I think I'm finally ready to collapse though so I'm gonna get back to the couch." He went to Shade's room.

Shade turned to Midas, "What was that really? Is everything okay?" Midas took his hand and led him to his apartment. Once inside, Midas slowly loosened Shade's collar. He stood, looking at the marks on his neck with tears in his eyes. He pulled Shade close and started placing gentle kisses on his neck. Shade felt his sorrow, this wasn't a lustful display; he knows. "He... He told you, didn't he?" Shade was fighting back tears.

"You told me I likely can't use Golden-Touch on myself, then you brushed it away as some accident. I should have figured it out since then. You've been through so much and I know there is still so much I don't know... I'll wait forever for you to tell me, if I have to."

Shade leaned completely into Midas, crying fully, letting Midas hold him up. Midas guided Shade to the couch where they sat for a couple of hours by the fire, Shade leaning on him. "I should go, you need to sleep and I need to yell at Marco," Shade stood up.

"Don't be too hard on him; he cares about you a lot."

Shade was a little surprised. "So you're not concerned about him anymore? You were being a bit jealous before."

Midas stood, "No. He's your friend and I'm glad you have a good one."

"Goodnight," Shade hugged him tightly.

"Goodnight."

1