Chapter 31
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 (Fol)

Too many voices, too many eyes was the only thought running through Deo’s mind. He was made to sit on a stool up on a dais above everyone, a small table of finger foods to his left. He was practically pinned there. It was far too loud to think and his clothes were far too heavy for him to move in and there were far too many people watching for even his facial expression to be free.

His eyes followed Kisee and Anrhea as they played with other children. To keep himself from pouting he grabbed a handful of nuts from the table beside him. His too long sleeve caught one of the other dishes, knocking it over, sending grapes rolling everywhere. A servant leapt up onto the dais and began to pick them up before Deo was able to try to help.

Suddenly King Rakii’s voice raised above the din, “you doubt the words of you king?!”

Silence fell as everyone at the feast turned to look at him. He stood, one foot planted on his low table, and announced to the crowd gathered in the open air courtyard, “Deo is the Gifted One, chosen by the Yelii. He will deliver us from the drought and lead us to eradicate the blasphemers! And I will prove it to you. Deo! Bring the storm!”

Deo jolted slightly when he was suddenly addressed. He looked up at the cloudless sky, the countless beautiful, shimmering stars shining down on them. Then he looked out at all the people in their nice clothes and the unprotected feast.

He bit his bottom lip, tilting his head to the side, “are you sure? We are outside.”

Rakii gave Deo a smile that sent a chill down his spine, “yes, I’m sure.” Deo found himself sitting up straighter without thinking, “A demonstration of the power of the Yelii is what they’re really here for.”

“...ok...” Deo tilted his head up, closed his eyes, and waited for his will to be made reality.

A clap of thunder, a few gasps of awe and surprise, the fat raindrops began to fall. For a moment there was only the sound of rain, then shouts and plates clattering as people rushed to get shelter and cover the food as the drizzle quickly became a downpour.

Deo opened his eyes, rain pouring down his face, his heavy clothes now leaden with water. Rakii was the only other person remaining in the courtyard, his arms outstretched, eyes wide open, accepting the rain with a wild laugh.

0