Chapter 17 – Report & Collect
94 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up the next morning, drowsy and fluffed from my bed head, with an annoyed expression. I forgot to make my report yesterday... I thought to myself. It couldn't be helped, I've been really busy and had to do so many things. I guess first things first, I'll head to the guild and make my report. They're probably waiting for me, and annoyed because I neglected to show up. I got dressed and went downstairs, eating another delicious breakfast, and left. I went north up the road to the hunter's guild with a brisk pace and stood infront of the door with a troubled expression.

Iris: "...I'm gonna get scolded aren't I?"

I said, before pushing open the doors with a heavy sigh and entering. The doors shut behind me and I looked around at the fairly normal scene. In the back were several booths with receptionists at them doing busy work, and the hunters at the tables chatting away. I approached the free booth that I always do and talk to the receptionist. This time it was the man that performed my registration.

Iris: "Hello, I'm late but I was meant to make a detailed report on the request me and the party I was apart of handled the other day."

Recep M1changing it to save time and to designate which receptionist she's talking with: "Ah, Miss Iris right? Thank you for coming in, Herra told us about you. Please, right this way. The guild manager wishes to hear your report too."

Iris: The guild manager? I have a bad feeling. "...Yeah, sure. No problem. Ah, and what's your name?"

Recep M: "Me? Oh, I'm sorry, I never introduced myself huh? My name is Stahl. Pleased to meet you."

Iris: "Likewise." I followed him up the stairs to the second story and took a right into a hallway, which had a set of thick, wooden double-doors in it. We passed through and into a wide open office with a desk, and a pair of sofas facing each other across an ornate stone & Steel table. Around the room were various taxidermied heads of monsters I hadn't seen before, excluding the head of a Reaper. There were also book shelves and display cabinets full of various trophies and items. A large man with a finely maintained beard & mustached with a stern face that looked like rock gazed at us as we entered the room. He was wearing a fancy three-piece suit with a large military jacket draped over him like a cloak. Stahl bowed at him before speaking.

Stahl: "Guild manager, sir, this is Iris. She's late, but is here to report on what happened in the Frontier Tunnel."

Like I figured, this man was the Guild Manager. He responded after a steady nod. "I see, have a seat you two. I would like to hear the story about the new Reaper Killer. And, my name is Gallivan." He gestured to the sofas in front of us and regarded me in particularly. 'Reaper Killer'? I guess that is a big deal.

I and Stahl sat in seats opposite each other and looked at Gallivan. I started to give my report with a greeting. I spoke about entering the tunnel with Ferru and Calico, and killing monsters for a couple hours before beginning our return trip. Then I recounted our fight against the reaper, and how I barely managed to eek2I dont know if this is the right word, i dont think it is, but i'm not aware of how to spell "eak" or "eek" in this context out a victory against the reaper using a steam canister. The two were very intrigued by my story, and stahl held his chin while nodding thoughtfully. Then Gallivan spoke up, with intrigue in his voice. "A steam canister, huh? That was a brilliant move, Iris. I never would have thought of trying to 'blind' a creature like that."

Iris: "Thank you for the praise, sir. After the fight, I dismantled the reaper for parts and took the important belongings of my party. I wished to return them entirely, but I didn't have the strength to carry them."

Gallivan: "No worries Iris, it's tradition for hunters to take what they want from the departed hunters. If one's equipment can help another keep their life, then it is an honor for the dead to be of service. That said, if there are any personal effects, we always ask they be returned so the dead can be put to rest properly."

Iris: "Of course, sir. And another thing... Me and the other two fought a sizable group of goblins not very far from the Main Gate. I wouldn't usually think to report this, but the skin of the goblins were strange. They were covered in wrinkled, black spots. Like they were burnt there. The goblins in the tunnel didn't share this feature."

Stahl looked at me curiously as Gallivan stroked his beard. Then Stahl turned to Gallivan. "Sir, we should send people to investigate this. An engineer or two. This might explain the increased attacks on the Main Gate."

Gallivan: "I agree. Iris, I thank you for the report. You must have business to attend to, so you are dismissed. Oh and Stahl, give her another 2 brass as bonus for the information on the goblins."

Stahl: "Yes, sir. If you'll come with me, Iris."

We got up from our seats, bade farewell to the guild manager, and left the office. We went downstairs where I received my bonus, and I left the guild with a thanks. Time to go to Illivan's and Lira's to pick up my orders. 

First, I dropped by Illivan's store, which was named "Heartful Mythical". What a grand name for an armor shop... I stepped in and called out to Illivan. "Hello, miss Illivan, are you in? I'm here for my order."

A moment later the door to the back room swung open and out came Illivan, dressed this time in something more like an armorer's garments.

Illivan: "Ahh, little Iris~! You're just in time, I finished your order a moment ago. Come, come~"

She dragged me along into the well-lit back room, which had various workbenches and materials lying around either on them or on the walls. There were also a few mannequin stands to keep finished orders or works in progress. She took a dress and gauntlet off one and gave it to me. It was a light victorian style dress with few frills, the waist area was completely plated with reaper chitin, while the chest area above was cloth, and the sleeves ended just before the elbow. The lower part of the dress had several chitin-armor strips running down it for the sake of leg protection, and with the dress also came a pair of stockings. On top of it all, the gauntlet was re-fashioned to fit me, but it also had a lighter fit, with chitin armor covering the back of the hand and a longer strip going up my forearm. Each finger ended in a sharp, metal claw extending 2 inches. It was paired with a fingerless, black lace glove that reached up my forearm. The dress itself was a mix of black and white, with copper-colored highlights.

Illivan urged me to try it on, so although I was still a bit uncomfortable changing infront of someone, I handed her my secondhand cloak and rags, changing into the dress. I neglected to mention it also came with a pair of black lace boots that reached up to my calf. After putting it all on, I tried to move around in it.

I thought the armor on my waist would make it hard to move, but it was finely set and segmented in just the right ways for it to still offer me protection while letting me retain maneuverability. I tried doing kicks and punches and tried a couple stances, and Illivan looked quite proud as she watched me. The armor was a perfect fit.

Illivan: "You look absolutely beautiful in that dress, darling~ I take it you like the fit?"

Iris: "Yes, it's perfect. Much better than I hoped for. And with this gauntlet, even if I'm unarmed, I can still fight. So, how much should I pay you for this?"

Illivan: "I don't need much now that I've roped in a returning customer~ You can pay me 3000 mou for this piece, and whenever you need to get it repaired or refit as you grow, I'll do it free of charge~"

I nodded and returned to the front of the shop with Illivan, before pulling out the money from my bag. I took my cloak back and said she could just throw out the rags, and while I was here a purchased a half-face gas mask and some filters for a few hundred mou. Then I thanked her an left. Next destination was Lira's.

I noticed as I walked through the streets that I was garnering a lot more attention than before. I could feel the stares of people on me as they walked by. I guess I really had deadly looks now that I had a proper outfit. Still, no touching anyone. I'm still a minor.

Even though I said that in my head... I was still followed by some miscreants as I was beginning to make my way through the alleys. I slowed my pace before stopping and turning around. Three young men with sneers on their faces approached boldly. I sighed in my heart and pulled my hood back.

Iris: "Can I help you? I'm busy right now."

Of course, I knew what they wanted, but it'd be better to play dumb. I subtly rested my hand on my steamgun.

Hooligan 1: "Yeah you can, how about you spend some time with us? Pretty little thing as you are."

Hooligan 2: "Surely ya can spare a bit of time to play around with us~ You some posh guy's girl~?"

Annoying. I stayed silent and let them get closer.

Hooligan 3: "hey hey, don't give us the silent treatment, we've got good intentions, like good civilians~"

The last man that spoke reached out towards me. I channeled mana into my hand and slashed up at him, making my hand into a blade that pierced up into his jaw and through the bottom of his skull.

H 3: "Kegh... Guh..."

I ripped out my hand and pushed him aside, quickdrawing my steamgun and shooting the second man's knees with the cracking hiss of my steamgun ringing out.

H 2: "GAAAAH! MY LEGGGSSSSS!"

H 1: "Y-you biiitch!"

The last one charged at me and I lunged forward, swinging my fist into his face and sending him flying to the ground. I got close while he was groaning in pain, straddled his chest, and dug my gauntlet nails into his throat, ripping it out in one move. I could smell a foul odor beside me and turned to look at the man I shot in the knees. His face was twisted into terror and he was crying. The odor came from the obvious fact that he pissed himself.

I stood up and readied my steamgun, before coldly blowing a hole in his head. Then I flicked off the blood from my nails and holstered my gun.

Licht: ...Was it really necessary to go so far? They weren't looking to kill anyone. Just get lucky with a pretty girl.

Iris: They were likely going to defile me then sell me off as an underground slave. And I didn't want to get reported for assault by letting them go. This was the best way to deal with those scum.

Licht: ...I guess you're right. You seem fine after mercilessly killing people though. Fellow humans.

Iris: Isn't that thanks to you and your 'nature', Licht?

Licht: I suppose it is. But you've gotten hold of those memories, huh?

I nodded to him as I used magic to clean the blood off my body. Now, lest there be more interruptions, It's time to get my new blades.

Wow, long chapter! I just kinda went with this one and didn't pay attention to length. Hope everyone enjoys it

4