Chapter 189
682 9 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Uh…”

There were blank expressions all around.

“What now?” asked Tianlan as he held Geng Yong down in front of Hei.

“I guess we seal the deal?”

Over the course of several minutes, Geng Yong had put on quite the display.

First, his qi started to rampage within his body, causing Hei to recall some unresolved trauma. Then he randomly started confessing his wrongdoings. He didn’t seem very remorseful though, so it was odd for him to even bother. Finally, he dashed toward Hei, presumably intending to harm him, but with his qi launching a rebellion, his offence was laughable at best. Tianlan was easily able to subdue him.

Now, shackled and no longer a threat, the only thing he could do was to await his judgement.

All that was left was to take his spirit roots and call it a day.

However,

“I kind of want to see where this is going…”

What would come out of his mouth next? Hei thought it was worth waiting a little to find out.

“So, you fancy yourself a king, do you?” asked Geng Yong who appeared to be in a daze.

“A king?” An odd question, Hei thought. “No, not really. Though, I have been told I possess those qualities. Why? Do you think so too?”

“No wonder you conduct yourself in such an arrogant manner.”

“Hey guy, you were the one who brought it up. I never called myself a king or anything. I’m just a fellow who’s trying to get back home.”

Hei raised his hand to his chin in thought.

“Well, I was thinking of creating something like a kingdom… But not for myself, of course. It’s for someone else. At most, I’ll be a king’s brother. Nobody really cares about them, right?”

“But even kings bow before the Merchant Guild.”

“I… kind of feel like that was a strange transition. You didn’t really continue from where I left off… Are you even listening to me?”

Hei waved his hand in front of Geng Yong’s face.

“He’s completely out of it.”

He shrugged his shoulders.

“I can’t say it’s been a pleasure, Geng Yong, but it was an experience. Now, if you don’t mind, I’ll be appropriating your spirit roots.”

“Wha-”

“You are unworthy.”

***

“Well, that wraps that up,” said Hei as he dusted off his hands. “I’m going to need my cultivation back, Tianlan.”

“Right.”

Tianlan closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

As he exhaled, the chains that were overlayed onto his robes evaporated and a tempest of qi surged out of his body, permeating the area within Meili’s abode.

This felt extremely refreshing to Hei, but to everyone else, the environment had been turned into a cultivation wasteland. They were unable to feel the presence of any qi whatsoever.

Hei spread his spiritual perception and called his qi to return to him.

However, he failed to consider the fact that, in order to do this, he had to cultivate it.

As he did, all manner of phenomena began to present themselves.

“Wait a minute! I-I just want what was with me before. The rest of you calm down!”

His words went unheeded.

The ground trembled, small fissures forming on its surface as the earth qi was stirred into excitement. It was joined by the water qi in the air and the icicles left behind during the fierce combat of earlier. The fire qi which had scorched the earth was roused from its sleep as if attracted by the aroma of a home-cooked meal. It immediately left the ground, cooling it instantly. Silver and gold and iron and copper, metals of various compositions peeked their heads from beneath the earth, wondering what all the ruckus was about. The wind, however, didn’t waste any time wondering. It had been the quickest to act and was already swirling around Hei as if to hog him all for itself, warning the others not to try anything funny.

“You guys… Please, just wait a mi-”

Before Hei could even complete his sentence, the ground exploded in protest, dissipating the wind, and forming a mound around Hei, claiming him for itself.

Of course, the others would not allow this to stand.

Water rushed in, cutting the earth and washing away the mound before forming an orb around Hei.

Metal was no slouch. It immediately split itself into multiple small fragments and bombarded the water, successfully breaking through. It then attached itself to Hei, making him look like a large magnet.

Fire didn’t like what it was seeing at all and formed a vortex around Hei which rose the temperature so high as to melt the metal. It then formed a veil around him, making it seem as if he were a human torch.

Wind scowled. It seemed Fire did not know its place, biting the hand that was feeding it.

Earth would not allow Wind to act as if it were the top dog. Without the life Earth supported, would Wind be anything to look at?

Water reminded Earth that without it, its precious ‘life’ would not exist.

Metal… stood by the side and said nothing…

At least it was shiny…

Yeah! I look better than you guys!

Better than Water? You’re out of your mind. There’s a reason the sea is admired by so many.

The sea? Maybe if you’re a fish. Show me a creature that doesn’t marvel at the sight of the majestic mountains of the Earth, and I’ll show you a creature that has no eyes to see.

Ooh. Big pointy rocks. So impressive. The sky is where true majesty is found. Is there a creature alive that wouldn’t lose its breath at the sight of the clouds on high?

The clouds, huh? Like the ones that are made out of water? Also, isn’t one of the best things about the sky that it’s a beautiful shade of blue? Where does that come from again?

Humph! Both of you are mistaken. How could there be a blue sky without sunlight? How would the clouds be visible? Without the sun, none of you would see the light of day! Beauty itself is defined by Fire!

Please! The creatures have long since come up with ways to see without you, Fire. That point is null and void.

Oh really? Then perhaps we should test that theory. Why not stop the sun right now?

You dare?!

And why wouldn’t I? I’m sure you would all come with that same energy. Right, Water? Though, you would probably need to change your name to Ice.

That’s enough, Fire. You’re taking this too far.

Too far? That doesn’t sound like you, Wind. It would seem you’ve lost your edge. Ah! But of course. Without the sun, you would lose that which you value the most, wouldn’t you?

Meaning what?

That I’ve got you by the neck.

Ho? Don’t go thinking I’m scared of you, Fire. Keep pushing me and I’ll make sure you regret it.

Woah, guys! Calm down! There’s no need for us to fight, is there?

Shut up, Metal!

***

Meanwhile, where things were still at least somewhat normal, Tianlan and the others silently watched as Hei was tossed around by the elements.

I write strange things.

32