9. A good match
139 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Princess Elsanne Eikenaar

A good match

 

 

Close your eyes, Elsanne thought and did just that, letting the sun touch her face. And everything will turn out to be a nightmare. She tried to remember her mother’s voice, but late Queen Lisanne had last spoken to her when she was eleven and all the Princess could hear now was her brother.

 

 

“Blaming Sigurd is childish,” Antoon the 2nd said, small smile dancing at the edge of his mouth, more a grimace really. He was being lordly probably, much as he understood it. It was funny though, Elsanne remembered him crying the day their father died and he wasn’t much older than her now. And it wasn’t for sorrow; nobody liked the ‘cruel King’. They had loved both her mother though Queen Lisanne and her younger brother Joren the 3rd. King Theun had loved them too, more than anyone else, it is said. Perhaps, losing them turned him cruel, was what Elsanne had always thought.

“It was my idea.” Her King Brother continued, “I thought people needed something to pay homage to the ending summer. Have a bit of fun.”

“You mean it is for you.” Elsanne snapped, blood rushing to her face. “You needed to have fun.”

“Sister.” Antoon sighed theatrically. “This is a matter of state.”

“How is me given as prize a matter of state?”

Sigurd cleared his throat as if to add something but she threw him a spiteful stare that was enough to deter him.

“Dear Elsanne.” Her brother said faking at politeness.

“What? What could you possibly say? Am I a piece of meat to be offered to guests—“

“You are being unreasonable.” The smile was gone now. “Also almost eighteen and still unmarried.”

“Uher curse you!” She snapped. “It’s none of your goddamned business!”

“Princess…” Sigurd started but her brother stopped him with a wave. The Master of Silence pressed his lips tight, only a tick at the corner of his left eye betraying emotion.

“I am your King.” Antoon the 2nd stated casually. She narrowed her eyes but he pressed on “The realm needs its allies to remain loyal and invested, you are the road to it. It is my will.”

Elsanne stepped back from the gilded throne. The beast’s eyes, flaming red rubies the size of her fist followed her. She averted her own eyes and stared at the marble floor.

“So I’m to wed a Crow.”

It was a question.

“Preferably.” The King replied and she almost puked inside. “Scaldingport was always on our side.”

“Gust is a pig. You will give your sister to a pig?”

“For the love of…’ Antoon exclaimed and pushed himself up. “…it is an honor Elsanne. He’s a great Lord.” He paused for emphasis. “Rich.”

Sigurd intervened.

“There are other knights attending…”

“Yes. Like… Van Oord.” Her brother cut in. Elsanne thought the whole thing rehearsed. “You like him yes?”

“Not enough to bed him.” She snapped, still mad, still trying to find a way out.

“There’s a start…” Antoon settled disregarding her comment. “Pray it’s him then and not an Alden.”

That caught her unawares.

“An… Alden?” She gasped.

“They will participate. Sir Lucius is formidable. Right Sigmud?”

“Aye My Lord.”

This was worrisome, she thought. Don’t say anything now. Think about it some more…

But she couldn’t keep it in.

“People say he murdered his wife!”

The King shrugged his shoulders as if not as sure. “Let’s not contempt the man—” He started saying but she stopped him short, her voice almost a scream.

“I will not marry a murderer!”

Antoon the 2nd frowned not liking her outburst. He looked disappointed. It was an act and she hated him for it. She wished he’d died instead of Joren. The Foremost King of the three Kingdoms found his throne and sat down with a deep sigh.

“You are leaving for Riverdor come morrow.” The King said, his voice resuming a casual tone. “Best you be prepared. It is a long journey and pretty hot this time of year.”

 

 

Her skin felt cool. The memory, still chilling, the culprit. Elsanne opened her eyes then raised them slowly to take in the silhouette of the man standing in front of her blocking the sun.

White skin, light blue eyes.

A Lorian.

“Sir…” Her maiden Loes started but she stopped her with a wave, mimicking her brother.

“I startled you my Lady.” The young man said, strong jaw moving under a wicked mouth. Her skin felt hot again. “I beg your forgiveness.”

He sounded extremely sincere.

A cultured Lorian, Elsanne thought not recognizing she was smiling.

A very handsome Lorian.

“Sir Ralph Alden, at your service.” The heartened knight continued with a light curtesy and she realized at that moment, fate had a strange sense of humor.

 

 

Ralph.

Hmm.

“Not Lucius.”

He raised his brows. “That would be my brother.”

“Ah.”

“Older lad, not much sense of fashion or humor I’m afraid.” Ralph added with a grin.

“His reputation…” Elsanne trailed unsure how to continue. “I heard he is widowed.”

“Unfortunately yes.” He paused examining her face. “Every story has more than one side.”

“I’m sure you are right.”

He beamed. “I’m habitually right my Lady.”

“You are not very modest.”

“True. But there is a reason for it.”

“There is?”

“I’m great in everything I set my mind on.”

Loes chuckled.

“And what brings you here Sir?”

“I came here to win the tournament my Lady.”

“That won’t be easy Sir Knight.” Elsanne pointed.

“I never said it would be easy.”

“Many Knights will want the glory.”

“Aye. But I’m not here for the glory my Lady.”

“Oh?”

“I will win the tourney because its prize is too precious for me. I want it more than anyone else. The biggest treasure in the three Kingdoms. Your hand my Lady, if you have me.”

Elsanne blushed to the roots of her dark hair.

 

 

That would probably made her brother die a little inside, Elsanne decided. They have left the gallant knight behind them and strolled slowly towards the keep taking the busy market street, the crowd not paying them much attention. Elsanne was lost in her thoughts again recalling the meeting that was to change her summer. The Princess wished she hadn’t listened to the summons of that wicked Sigurd. Sir Ralph was pleasant and probably worth of winning the tournament far as she was concerned but still the prospect of getting married wasn’t appealing at all.

Her brother seemed preoccupied with the words read by his Master of Silence, when she first approached them. Almost bewildered.

“What did that old fool do?” He asked and Sigurd grimaced, squinting his eyes trying to squeeze more information from the scroll he held.

“I cannot fathom the Duke… The man has been a rock solid ally for years. He was a good man to your father before that… unless he turned senile… I can’t fathom. Perhaps the man was insulted?”

“By the Prince’s wife? Bah!” Her brother exploded. “How am I to react to this? It almost sounds like a threat! I mean…” He spotted her then and he stopped taking a deep breath. “Dear sister.” Her brother started his whole demeanor changing and Elsanne immediately knew she was in trouble.

I should have gone to Badium, she thought. Or even run away, while no one was looking. Is there time now, to run?

Mayhap I’d escape—

Loes cry interrupted her thoughts. Her cry and a hand she placed on her elbow to stop her forcefully. Elsanne snapped to the present almost furious with her but the head of a horse breathing inches from her face turned her angry scold to a yelp of fear. She stumbled on her feet and almost went down in the busy street between the horse’s front legs. The large animal neighed loudly, showing its teeth as the rider pulled hard at the reins to make it stop before she got trampled over under its hooves.

“Ora’s takes you!” Elsanne cursed before biting her tongue, the blood rushing to her cheeks, her ears ringing.

“Are you blind Sir?” Loes was heard shouting. “You’ve almost killed the Princess of Kaltha! They should have you flogged.”

“Fortunately for her it appears I am not or this would have been nigh unpleasant for both of us.” The man’s voice was heard speaking in the common tongue but with a very foreign accent. “We all should thank the Gods we escaped the worst.” He added chuckling.

“This is not funny you boorish foreign pig.” Loes snapped, always quick to speak and as frequently unawares of her place. Elsanne watched as the richly dressed man signaled his mounted escort following him to stay their weapons. Because for a moment it seemed as if they were ready to fell on them, which of course was preposterous but also troubling.

“I have been called many a things,’ the young man said his voice neutral. Thin and tall, skin a rich tanned yellow that made it seem almost like gold. Long black straight hair, same color slanted eyes. A Cofol, Elsanne thought. ‘but this I’ve escaped it seems. Still it makes one wonder; are foreign pigs different than the locals? Some women can be very imaginative.” His men laughed at that. “We learn something different every day.”

Elsanne stopped Loes from replying with a tap on her shoulder.

“It is not good manners in this land to attack Ladies of the court Sir.” She said looking at him without fear. “Or the Princess.”

“It is not good manners in my lands to insult a Prince of Rin an-Pur,” He retorted readily catching her by surprise. He paused and glanced at his men. “Most of the times,” He added slowly and they chuckled at that, “especially when he’s not at fault.”

This is a strange day, Elsanne thought. Is every day in the provinces like this? A bit bucolic sure but exciting nonetheless. Hehe. I should probably travel more.

She gathered her wits and assumed a more regal pose and tone.

“Not at fault?”

The Prince pointed at the road.

“You were preoccupied Princess.” He replied as if he could read her thoughts. “It has happened to me. This is a busy street to walk blind.”

“Will you move the horse dear Prince?” She asked him masking the embarrassment in her voice. A small crowd had gathered around them watching the scene unfold. Some have apparently recognized the young Princess and were openly wondering who the foreigners were.

“This horse doesn’t wish to move at this point. He can be difficult so late in the day.”

“Is that so?”

“I’m afraid your highness will have to walk around it.” The Prince spared a glance for the people gathered. Many returned the stare with open hostility. Cofols were not well liked; not in such a big group and not that well-armed. “MAKE WAY FOR THE PRINCESS OF KALTHA!” He roared and people stumbled back half-scared, half-surprised. Their reaction seemed to amuse him greatly. His next words came out in a different tone. “It is a fine day. Much coin can still be made. Right?”

His men answered him with a thunderous ‘aye’ that sent the last of the crowd away in a hurry. Elsanne felt impressed.

And very insulted.

“Now I understand where your wife gets her spirit my Lord.” She said deictically remembering her brother’s exchange.

The Prince frowned.

“That is an amazing skill my Lady. Truly impressive. Keep working at it though. You see unfortunately, I’m not married,’ His men had started laughing again and Elsanne wished the horse had trampled her dead earlier. ‘But I intent to, soon as the tournament’s over.” He added knowingly and kicking lightly at the sides of his horse moved it out of her way.

 

 

“What an awful man.” Loes said as soon as they were out of earshot. “Were his eyes painted?”

“Difficult to tell male from female in some parts of Eplas.” Elsanne replied still rattled from the encounter.

“The Khanate rules all the lands there no?”

“Not all. Eplas is a huge place. Then there’s Wetull. No one rules there but the spirits of servants of Eodrass.”

She had read her ‘Histories’.

“Ora’s curse them.” Loes said.

“You do well to be more careful Loes. Your mouth will get you in trouble one day.” She told her as they entered the keep. Sigurd was waiting for them after they cleared the guards.

“I heard some troubling gossip.” Lord Bach said after a brief greet. His people had probably rushed to tell him the news. “Almost scandalous.”

Elsanne thought of the young Knight and blushed. “Nothing happened.”

But it could happen, her mind whispered. In the future.

He just needs to win.

The thought sent a quiver of pleasure down her spine.

“Gods be praised for that.” The Priest of Ora said, a worried look on his face seeing her shivering. “Still always have an escort Princess. When you’re given one, please don’t lose them purposefully. The city is full of danger.”

“Danger! Pfft… They came for me. All those… rude people.” She replied bitterly. “Kind of late now to be worried and it was your idea, if I’m not mistaken.”

“No it wasn’t. But I pressed for more nobles to be invited.” Sigurd sighed and started walking with them casting side glances around for any onlookers. “Luck may still favor you with a good match Princess. I will never allow anyone to hurt you. This you must know.”

She knew he meant those words, but his participation just couldn’t be ignored by her.

“I can find my quarters Lord Bach.” Elsanne hissed out the side of her mouth.

“The king is here.” He replied sounding hurt. “Asked me to see you safe inside. He wants you attending the games early tomorrow.”

“I’m very tired. Probably will sleep until very late.”

“Princess please.”

“What do you think of him?” She asked changing the subject. Sigurd pretended ignorance.

As if that would work on her.

“I’m not sure...”

“Is he like his brother?”

“No.” Sigurd sighed, seeing her wanting more. “Let’s say, he’s more like you Princess. Well-learned. He wants more from life. Asks for adventure and prizes.”

“That’s… a lot of details.”

“I had everyone vetted thoroughly.”

“This is pleasing to me.” She decided.

“Will you attend tomorrow?” Lord Bach asked trying to hide his smile. Elsanne answered after a thoughtful, perfect pause.

“I will think about it.”

2