Chapter 14 ~ Introducing, My Beloved
17 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun was reaching its highest point as I made my way inside the Manor. The left and right guard greeted me, as usual, even though they were curious about Ciel, whom I brought with me.

"Where's the head butler?" I asked, intending to request Alfred to lead me to my father.

"Sir Alfred is having an afternoon tea with Sir Robard in the back garden," the left guard informed.

Looks like that's that.

"How about sister Sarah and father?" I asked, not expecting an answer.

This time, the right guard replied, "Your elder sister went to the Duke's office just a while ago, they're still there, I believe."

After saying my thanks, I immediately went toward my father's office. Past the main hall with its marbled floor and hanging lights, past the maids and butlers cleaning the place.

"I'm kinda nervous now," Ciel quipped.

"Haven't you been acquainted with such places before?" I asked.

"Not really, since you're the one who usually handled all the talking, I never really got used to such places. Remember that one time I got really nervous when we were granted peerage?"

"Ah, I remember; you were stiff as a board that one time. Still, I would gladly take on the role of talking to high societies, since being too acquainted with such a place, really poisons the mind," I expressed my opinions.

Arriving at the Duke's office, I heard the voice of my father talking about the town's security, while my sister expressed her willingness to train the constables.

Knocking on the oaken door, I said, "Good afternoon Duke; this is Layne Karlott, and I ask for an audience."

All chatter stopped for a little while, and we were granted entrance.

I went inside alone at first, so as to not startle my father and sister about the situation.

All was quiet, my father can't really find any word to say to his "disowned" son, and my sister was assessing the situation.

To break the ice, I started the conversation, "I met a vampire yesterday," trying to pass it off as an absurd joke since the days of gods and supernaturals have already ended.

However, the Duke immediately asked sternly, "Where? When? Are you sure it was a vampire?"

Seeing the Duke was seriously considering what I just said, I added, "Northern Six Ridges district, Uptown Hotel, room 221. I already vanquished it."

Hearing my claim, the Duke replied, "You vanquished it? How? Ah, it must be because of your mother."

What's my mother got to do with any of this? I was confused. Still, that's not what I'm looking him for.

"Also, I'm getting married," I added.

"Ah, you're getting married," he passed it off without thinking. It took him a while before he understood what I said.

"You're getting married? With who? What the hell did you do outside in just one day? Did you do something to someone's daughter? You didn't tarnish the name of our Duchy, right?" he asked frantically, while elder sister Sarah simply expressed her congratulations.

"Father, calm down," I replied.

"How the hell could I calm down! You went outside for a day or two, and then you came back saying you're getting married?! Maybe it's the wrong choice to let you outside, huh." he panicked, then lamented.

"It's okay father, I've already asked for the permission of her grandfather, since her parents are not here, and he said okay," I explained.

Taking a deep breath, Benjamin finally asked his son, "Who is the one you'll be married to?"

Taking this as the cue to let Ciel in, I said to the door, "Ciel, you can come in now."

=======

Getting myself ready to meet my son's prospective wife, I took a deep breath as the door opened.

A young lady, about 170cm tall, with long wavy hair the colour of silver, and flame-coloured eyes, came in.

Her honey-coloured skin, glistened by the sunlight from the window, gave her the impression of ruddyness and health.

Although she wore her clothes unisexedly, feminine charm could be felt within her.

"Good afternoon, Sire," she said bashfully.

"Good afternoon. Please introduce yourself,"

"My name is Ciel Bhan, I'm a flame dancer from Cirque du Ciel, which my grandfather built."

"Wait a minute, you're the ringmaster's granddaughter?" I asked, a little bit afraid inside, since even in the royal capital, that man's wrath knew no bounds, one that even Her Majesty Queen Aria failed to quell.

"That's right! You knew of my grandfather, sir?" Ciel smiled, feeling a little proud inside since the circus was well known, even to a man of such high stature as the Duke.

My dear son, what in heavens name did you do to gain the recognition of such a terrible man! That he would give his beloved granddaughter to you! I screamed inside my heart.

Okay, deep breath Benjamin, deep breath. Layne's mother is also from the same 'place' as the old ringmaster, he might recognize Layne based on that fact.

Now that my son went and did it, to a VVIP no less, let's just go all the way.

"Sir?" Ciel interrupted the Duke's thoughts.

"O-oh yeah, where was I?"

"You're talking about the old ringmaster," my son quipped from the side, and I could feel some smugness in his smile, it might be my imagination though.

"Yeah, I knew of your grandfather; his performance was legendary,"

"Thank you very much, sir! My grandfather would be very happy with your praise."

"Anyway, about your wedding; I approve of it. How do you want it to go, son?" I asked my 'disowned' son.

"Should we just invite our friends and merry-make?" he asked her prospective wife, who nodded.

"Alright then, it shall commence right after the Harvest Festival, here in Carter Manor."

Ciel, who didn't expect to be granted such a venue, felt very happy.

"Thank you very much, sir!"

"Now, now, don't be cold like that. Call me father-in-law."

"Right, thank you very much, father-in-law, sir!"

Well, we all start somewhere. Maybe she'll be used to me after a while.

"Now, both of you ladies, please withdraw yourself from the room. I have something to ask to Layne."

Both Ciel and Sarah exited the room, while also conversing with each other. As a father, I'm happy and expectant of their relationship as sisters-in-law.

"When will we stop with the acting?" my son asked.

"You know the disownment was an act?"

"The signs were all there, it would take an idiot to not notice it."

"Well; it will continue until everything on my side had calmed down."

"I don't plan to come back," he dropped a bolt out of the blue.

"Why?" I asked

"I've already said it before; what I wanted is not here, but out there."

"Alright then, but know this, whatever your name is, wherever you go, you'll be accepted here," I let him go, praying he'll be fine and healthy and won't forget me.

"Thanks, father," the son replied back.

0