Ch.3.3: The Final Disciple
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dreiki bowed his head to Savekio, “I don’t know how to thank you, sir.”

“Consider my proposition, that’s all I ask.”

Before Dreiki could speak Savekio raised his hand, “And I don’t want your answer tonight. Just rest for now. Being my student and caretaker will not be an easy task. And that burden will grow every year until I pass. Give me your answer when you understand that burden.”

“I will consider what you’ve offered.”

That night was the first in a long time that Dreiki had felt safe and warm. He’d almost forgotten what it felt like to have someone take care of him. Savekio was a good cook too. Even if he was a battle master with an intimidating demeanor, he was gentle and kind.

Savekio had prepared a venison broth with chopped up Mierashrooms. Dreiki ate his fill, and even helped Ezo eat as well.

Dreiki had figured Ezo was a carnivore, but according to Savekio, Bat Drakes were omnivorous. Anything Dreiki could eat, Ezo could likely eat as well. That made Dreiki happy for a reason he simply couldn’t articulate.

Savekio had warned him not to feed the drake too much. Apparently a starved creature’s stomach could shrink, so it was important to feed it sparingly so as not to tear its stomach open.

Especially since a dagger had torn through it only a few hours ago.

Savekio gave Dreiki his bed for the night, taking half of the furs and using them to cushion a chair for him to sleep in.

Ezo curled up with him, and it was the first time Dreiki had felt so warm in a while.

Dreiki hadn’t dreamt in a long while either, but tonight was something he’d remember for the rest of his life.

He was floating through a white expanse, estranged in absolute nothingness. His body was black as pitch, and Dreiki had no doubt he was the only shadow in the light of this strange world.

The dream shifted, a memory of his mother. How she so delicately pulled the hood of his cloak over his head. Tenderly hugging her son. Dreiki dreamt of the look in her eye when she’d left.

So filled with longing and sadness, and yet hardened by duty and purpose. The silent promise that they would see each other again no matter what.

And it was because Dreiki was seeing her right now that he realized he was in a dream. And that he’d probably wake up with his tears soaking into Ezo’s fur.

He was only partially awake. Only partially aware of himself, but he decided to dive back in after turning on his side.

He dreamed he was an outsider. A silent observer watching a scene unfold. Like a play, or some sort of gladiatorial match. There was greenery all around. His vision was blurry, but he could make out the pure blue sky. He could feel the warm wind on his skin, and smell the scent of flowers that it carried aloft.

He saw two figures, one sat upright, while the other rested flat on their back. Dreiki couldn’t see them fully, but he felt them. He felt their companionship with one another.

And as he reached out he noticed his hand. Shifting and smudging along the air in front of him like an oil painting.

The bright world was swallowed in pitch black. He felt alone in the dark, and huddled into a ball. A warm dimly burning flame flickered in his chest. His horns burned on his head.

A song hummed in his mind. A tune so vaguely familiar. A song his father taught to his mother. The only thing Dreiki could remember about his father.

He looked up, seeing the white blaze of a warrior’s flame. It illuminated the dark expanse, and Dreiki was once again aware he’d been dreaming.

Waking up early the next morning to Ezo’s tongue, Dreiki felt fully rested. His father’s song playing on repeat in his head before fading away. He swung his feet off the bedside and tested his broken shin.

No pain.

He had healed completely overnight. Right down to his broken nose.

“Up early?” Savekio said, looking as if he was preparing to go out.

Dreiki nodded, “I am. Thanks again for your hospitality, sir.”

“Be sure to think about my proposition.”

Dreiki sat up, Ezo pushing his head underneath his hand. He smiled and gave the greedy drake a good head rub before standing up, “Sir, could you take me with you this morning? Show me what it is you do? I think it will help me make my decision.”

Savekio nodded, “My routine isn’t very eventful most days, but sure. Come along.”

Dreiki fastened his cloak on and followed like a duckling to its mother.

“I’ve a few projects I figured I’d chip away at over the next few years. And for that I tend to need lumber, so I usually go out whenever I can to chop a tree or two down to get some material.”

Dreiki watched as Savekio lowered his axe from his shoulder, pointing it to a tree, “This will do for today!” He swung with such ferocity it made Dreiki flinch.

The deafening impact of his ax vibrated Dreiki’s chest. When he opened his eyes, the tree was still intact.

“Watch yourself,” Savekio said, pulling Dreiki next to him as he poked the tree with his ax.

It seemed as if the tree remembered it had been cut down, splitting open the moment it was touched and tumbling to the ground.

Savekio gripped the edge of the tree with one hand and moved it like it was a rolled up rug, making sure to lay it flat before sending a few more chops into it for ease of carry.

Before Dreiki knew it, Savekio had four cleanly chopped logs, “I usually leave one section of the tree behind to rot so I can grow fungus like Mierashrooms with them.” He bent down and hoisted one log under each arm.

“Think you can carry the top half of it back? It’s usually lighter and I made sure to cut it smaller than usual.”

Dreiki nodded, shaking off his disbelief. “Yeah… sure.” he jogged over to it and found a few sturdy branches to grab it by. It was heavy and Dreiki had to drag the tail end, but he could manage it.

“Depending on whether or not it’s a harvest day, I’ll usually drop the logs off and go out to forage and check my traps for anything good to eat.”

He dropped off the logs in a pile next to a kiln behind the cabin, “I usually use this kiln to dry them up. Since you’ve got fire magic it’d save me a lot of trouble of having to make charcoal or find kindling.”

Dreiki was only half listening. The other half focused on trying to breathe while he dragged his log around.

“Heavy huh?”

“Yeah!”

Savekio chuckled, “You can set it down right there, I’ll move it later.”

Dreiki dropped the log, already completely exhausted.

“Bare in mind, I’d have you help me with these things every day. And this would be in addition to whatever training regime I can come up with for you.”

“What’s next?”

For the rest of the day Dreiki shadowed Savekio. It wasn’t anything Dreiki didn’t already know how to do. Setting up traps, checking old ones, hunting wild game, and foraging for food. Ezo being especially useful in that regard with his keen nose.

For lunch, Dreiki and Ezo got to enjoy the leftovers from the previous night’s dinner. And for the rest of the day it was peaceful. Savekio explained the time in the afternoon was used for anything from building, to crafting potions, to simply relaxing.

Dreiki spent the next week following Savekio’s routine, waking up early in the morning, hefting logs to the cabin, and helping wherever he could. Ezo seemed to be attached at the hip to Dreiki, hardly going anywhere without him.

Dreiki had figured the beast would leave the moment its leg healed completely, but Ezo stuck around.

By the week’s end, Dreiki had his answer.

“Please, teach me, grandpa Savekio.” Dreiki said late one night after dinner.

“Grandpa?” He chuckled to himself, “Catch.”

Dreiki looked up, just barely reacting in time to catch a sheathed sword and stumble backward. The sword he’d tossed was heavy. It looked to be nothing more than a humble broadsword, but its weight was almost unwieldy, “What is…”

“From today onward, my sword will be in your care. You will tend to it as if it is your own, but you shall not draw it in battle until you’ve passed the final tests of your training.”

He had a glint in his eye, “Heavy huh?”

“Yeah…”

“For the next six years, or until the waning takes me, I shall mold you into a warrior your mother will be proud of. But only if you have the willpower to do as I say without complaint. Is that clear?”

Dreiki hefted the sword and stood again, “I won’t let you down, sir!”

Savekio nodded, “Good, then your training starts today.”

0