Chapter 15
186 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In 2025 I had no knowledge about the entertainment industry. If I did, it contained bits of information that the news threw out there. That was all.

What I did have was a small background in writing. I wrote a book and published it for others to see. While it did not sell well, it had a four star rating.

So when I read the script, I was mostly confused. A movie script is a lot different from what I envisioned it to be. John's work was being read by me someone with no experience in reviewing scripts. I was the one who hired him so I should have faith in his ability, but I was not going to be careless to give him a free pass.

After reading over the first movies script, I reread it again. Dwayne and John were silent during this time.

"Is this focused on his life as a slave?" I asked.

"Yes, I wanted to bring that part forward. He has the ability to kill, but he withholds himself because of the teachings of his mother. She knows that he is a special boy but wants him to know that because he is unique he needs to be careful of what he does. His actions can have a greater affect on the others around him." John responded to me.

I nodded then flipped the page. "Do you think people will be interested in this kind of approach?"

It took John a while to answer but when he did I gazed up at him. "Yes, but this type of story isn't normal for a superhero. The first movie focuses on who he is, and why he is the way he is later on. Without understanding that the audience will be left wondering. I'll admit that this movie will be a bit slow, but it is all about the build-up."

"I can understand that and as I'm looking through it I can see what you want to do. My concern is that we shouldn't sell something false. If we focus on his past, when do they see him being a hero?" When I asked that question I could see the look in John's eye change.

The script was nice, even I could see that. But it wasn't a script about a superhero. He was focusing on Icons past before he became Icon. A lot of it is boring, and he did not do many superhero deeds then. It wasn't until much later on did he take on the identity of Icon.

We should be telling the story of a man going through his life, not one of a man that came from a distant planet. 

"You're right. I think I was too caught up in telling the history of black people that I failed to keep up his image as a hero." John admitted.

"It could still work though. If we condense that portion or even show pieces of it through flashbacks then we're golden." Dwayne told John before he glanced at me. "Check out the other script about Rocket. This is a major improvement."

I did just that and Dwayne was right, this was a big jump in how the story was told. There were more interesting bits to her movie than Icon's. However, the middle of the film picked up where Icon's left off showing how the two of them met and eventually became heroes.

"This is better, but I think some parts should be edited. We should dive right in where the first film concluded. Maybe go back a few hours or even a day prior. We can show how Raquel aspires to be a writer but becomes caught up in drama. Show the Big Bang from her point of view and why they decided to rob his home. The rest could stay the same."

John listened to me and agreed. I picked up the last script that was about Static and felt that this one movie was ten times better than the previous two.

"This is perfect. If you could do the first two in a similar way, I believe we'll have something great on our hands." I complimented John for a job well done.

He seemed to have put a lot of effort into this movie. It had drama in the right places and a lot of action as well. Especially the Big Bang.

"I'll do my best." John told me.

He didn't ask to write the rest of the cinematic universe and I was feeling less inclined to give him that responsibility. It was good to have others write a story with their own spin on it so all the movies don't feel the same. As long as they all work towards the same goal, who writes it shouldn't matter.

I was more likely to decide if he would be the sole writer based on the revisions he would make to the first two scripts. Then after I saw the box office numbers.

The three of us chatted a bit longer going over details about the movie, who should direct it and so on. A lot of names were thrown out there that I ended up having to write them down.

Before we left I told them the progress on the movie studio. "The studio is almost completed but it still needs to be fully equipped. I'll buy you both tickets to come see it once everything is ready."

"I can't wait. By then I'll have fully revised both scripts." John said.

"As we draw closer to the production of the film, my excitement increases. I'm thankful Alex, truly. This is an opportunity that I never imagined I'd be given." Dwayne told me.

"Work hard, and ill see you two soon." I said as a farewell as I left the building. There were names given, and I'd have to do a bit of research about each of them. The director was important and I wanted to take my time picking the right one.

I wish I could recall some famous ones from my time, but I was not a big fan of knowing every celebrity or the people that made the films possible. The only person I could think of was Stan Lee, but what was that man even doing at this point in time?

My stay in New York was longer than I would have liked, but since my meeting with them ran mostly all day I would have to head home in the morning. Which was fine by me.

Currently there was still this massive amount of funds in my bank account and I started to wonder if I should buy some stocks. I never got into it in 2025, but it was never too late to start. Especially since YouTube would make its apperance soon.

6