The Rift: 3
87 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Date Sent: 2/1/2105

From: George Nelson

To: Shawn Anderson

I finally had the last of our test subjects released, there's somewhat of an ecosystem now. The majority of the planet is now covered by earth-native plants, and the majority of the animals are genetically engineered by us. Honestly, it’s still somewhat surreal to see all this happening. There’s a small list of the engineered animals released. The full experimentation log is attached below. There's no reason to list all the earth native animals we released as well. 

corniger lepus - Horned rabbit

Dira lupus - Black wolf (I honestly don’t know why you insisted on making this one, It’s literally just a standard wolf but black and bigger.)

A giant mouse species (As if the small ones weren’t enough already. 

ignis spirans lacertae - fire breathing lizard

gigas arbor - Giant tree 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 2/1/2105

From: Shawn Anderson

To: George Nelson

Alright, I’ll look over the details later. Also, good news. The first batch of human DNA and human test subjects have arrived. We can begin humanoid gene altering and testing.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 3/12/2105

From: Eden-44 Rift Maintenance Team Leader Justian Hughs 

To: Project Rift Director Erickson Montgomery, Genetics Division Director Shawn Anderson, Life Creation Division Director George Nelson

Alright, there’s something wrong with this portal. Every single one of my engineers are getting sick from working near this thing. They’ve reported headaches, vomiting, nausea, disorientation, confusion, and migraines from working near this thing. I’ve spoken to the Maintenance team leader on the other side and he said that none of HIS guys were sick. Requesting an investigation into what the hell is going on over here. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Site-001-E44 Administrative Logs

3/13/2105 4:32PM (Site Lockdown) (Biological Hazard) 

All Site personnel must remain in their rooms in the Residential sector of the facility. An unknown contagion has been detected within the facility. Nobody is allowed to return back to Earth. All essential personnel are to wear full body protection suits at all times. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 3/13/2105

From: Medical bay head doctor 

To: Project Rift Director Erickson Montgomery 

This is strange, blood samples coming from those afflicted do not contain any harmful pathogens, instead, I’m seeing something in the blood of those affected. I don’t actually know why or how it causes the body to act this way. But It just seems to build in the bloodstream without any real permanent harmful effects. The engineers working at close proximity to the rift seem to be affected the most, it’s not contagious by any means. Scans attempted by MRI scanners seem to just not work. This may be a far-fetched theory but I feel like the rift may be emanating waves of anomalous particles which seem to be the cause of all of this. I recommend sending everyone back to work and ending the lockdown. I’m sending a report on all of this back to Nexus HQ, maybe the better equipped scientists and engineers there can figure out some sort of way to reduce or eliminate the side effects. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Site-001-E44 Administrative Logs

3/14/2105 1:12AM Site Lockdown Lifted

All Personnel are to resume normal duties. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date sent: 3/14/2105

From: Overwatch #3

To: Project Rift Director Erickson Montgomery, Genetics Division director Shawn Anderson, Life Creation Division Director George Nelson

That really was a bullet dodged for you guys huh? Anyways, I have your first assignment. Well, it’s not really an assignment, and you don’t really have a choice in this, but I thought I might tell you anyway. The Artificial Intelligence Development Division of the Robotics Department wants to build their new Stochastis Artificial Intelligence Core. The last prototype wanted a little bit of Neurotoxin for “Research Purposes''. It was then immediately shut down and scrapped. If the new prototype tried to kill us, even if the entire facility is lost, there is no chance of anything being leaked anyways. An AI team and more engineers will arrive by Wednesday next week.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date sent: 5/12/2105

From: Artificial Intelligence Team Leader Jasper Mueller

To: Robotics Department Director Juan Hensley

We have successfully moved the majority of the heavy parts and equipment required for the Stochastis Artificial Intelligence Core. We are currently moving the cold fusion reactor parts over the portal. Because of the huge scope of this assignment, we can be expected to finish setting up all the equipment within a year. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date sent: 5/12/2105

From: Robotics Department Director Juan Hensley

To: Artificial Intelligence Team Leader Jasper Mueller

Good, I want extra guards and androids placed near the AI Core room and its surroundings. I don’t want anybody screwing with the programming again. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

George Nelson’s Personal Voice Journal 

Entry Date: 6/09/2105

Me and Anderson finally finished up testing on our latest human test subjects. Our creation isn’t really that impressive but It’s still something. We basically created elves. Like the long eared arrogant bastards that live up in trees or whatever. We’ve made the human ear longer, limbs slimmer but stronger, and we also went through the painstakingly long process that every single elf would like damn beautiful. I don’t really know how Anderson did it but he managed to ensure that every single elf that is born naturally would look like a supermodel. We don’t really have a way to make the elves completely vegetarian or vegan, like how most fantasy novels or movies depict them as. Getting rid of meat as a food source for them would basically mean that they’re crippled since they can’t eat one of the most energy dense foods out there while that can support their slim but powerful muscles. We have several hundred specimens suspended in vats in the life support sector of the facility. I see that I went on somewhat of a rant again. Perhaps I should start writing these instead of using speech to text. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Senior Engineer Ray Chang sighed as he walked out of the facility infirmary. He was the last one to get discharged from the infirmary from the sudden illness that gripped most of the engineers who had worked in close proximity to the Rift. 

After walking through the large halls of the even larger complex he was working in, he finally made it to the residential sector and went to his room. After walking in, he cursed the facility director for being so damn cheap with heating, in the time he was in the infirmary, the damned bastards had shut off all the heating that went to his room. 

"Damn, if It was a little colder in here’ And then…

His hand froze

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Site-001-E44 Medical log #132

Patient: Ray Chang

Time of Admission: 4:12PM 6/09/2105 

State when arrival: Unconscious

Ailments: Minor Brain Trauma, A frozen hand(?)

Clearance level required: 3

Copy was sent to all Doctors in all infirmaries on site, along with all members of Site command. 

Security cameras managed to catch Ray Chang run directly into the wall outside of his room with alarming speed. He was knocked out cold on the spot. Security quickly arrived but noticed that his left hand was covered entirely by a thin layer of ice. Patient was suffering from minor brain trauma as well, which was swiftly treated. 

Attempts were made to defrost the patient’s left hand with a hairdryer but there were no visible changes. Numerous attempts were made to defrost the patient’s left hand until a medical assistant suggested to literally pour boiling water onto the patient’s left hand. After being doused with boiling water 3 times, the ice on his left hand seemed to defrost very quickly. Patient’s left hand showed no signs of frost damage at all despite literally being encased in a layer of ice around 5 millimeters thick for several hours. 

Medical scans show that the majority of “anomalous particles” in the patient’s bloodstream have disappeared. Further research pending.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ray Chang woke up with a splitting headache. When he opened his eyes, he was greeted with a white ceiling, beeping from various medical devices, and the omnipresent smell of antiseptic. 

‘Yep, I never left the infirmary at all.’ Ray thought ‘That dream was damn crazy though.’

“Mr. Chang? I see you’re finally awake. You ran straight into that wall outside your room.” 

Ray turned to his left and saw a doctor sitting on a bench, flipping through some papers on his clipboard. 

“Doc, how long have I even been here? When am I gonna get discharged from this damned place?” Ray asked

“Well, you did leave, a week ago. However due to some… extraordinary circumstances you managed to end up here again after a mere hour of being discharged.” The doctor said

“Wait, wait wait wait wait, so you’re saying that all that crap that happened in my dream actually happened? Like my entire hand turning into ice?” 

“Yes, now tell me Ray, do you believe in magic?” 

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 8/29/2105

To: Overwatch-3 

From: Site-001-E44 Command Staff (Shawn Anderson, George Nelson)

The experiments we conducted on staff were truly mind blowing. We have discovered that the anomalous particles in the bloodstream of most engineering staff allow them to manipulate reality to some extent. Theoretically, all members of Site-001-E44 can manipulate reality, however the engineering staff seem to have the most affinity for it, likely because they had the most exposure.

Our first staff member to exhibit these reality bending properties was Senior Engineer Ray Chang, he was the last one to be discharged from the infirmary from the sudden malaise. After Further experiments done on him, it became apparent that literally any part of reality can be altered as long as there are enough anomalous particles in their blood. He could literally set someone on fire with his mind, summon a gun from nowhere, and set himself on fire. Although setting oneself on fire deals no damage to them somehow. There is no point in naming the anomalous particles, since the vast majority of staff have already began to call it “Mana” or “Magic Meter”  

This also means that we can practically shape our new experiments any way we want, using “Mana” we can shape our creations to defy the laws or reality, more experimentation of the Rift technology and it’s reality altering properties should be investigates in how to better harness this new power and ways to weaponize it. 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 8/30/2105

From: Overwatch-3

To: Site-001-E44 Command Staff

I am very interested in the latest development even though the fact that any part of reality can be altered with enough mana is a bit worrying. I also see that you have created elves, another classic fantasy race. I think I see the direction of where I want this project to go. Your first real assignment is to make dwarves. Like the little alcoholics that love mountains and metal? I expect good results.  

_________________________________________________________________________

Date Sent: 1/24/2109

From: Site-001-E44 Site Command

We have successfully completed our first assignment and our test subjects are now in stasis vats. Attached below are the results for each individual experiment done in a controlled environment in the newly built Site-002-E44, which is a large underground facility that can perfectly simulate a patch of land on the surface that is 25x25 km. Each Group was given 3 months at least to develop. 

Level 7 Clearance Document 

Highest Clearance Version - Give level 5 Clearance version for those below level 7 and above 5. Give level 4 version for those below level 5 and above 3. 

Research Subject: brevis sed captiosus homo (A short but clever man) 

 

Experiment 1: Human Genome was altered so that any growth above 4 feet is impossible, increased muscle mass almost 100% and made alcohol consumption required for normal activities. 

Conditions: None Provided 

Experiment length: 1 Week 

Size of Starting Experimental Group: 500 members (1-500)

Results: Experiment deemed a failure. A basic society existed until after a week, in which all the residents went insane and massacred each other.

 

Experiment 2: Subjects no longer require alcohol to function. Beard growth accelerated in males.

Conditions: Implanted memories tell subjects that they are members of a dwarven kingdom and have been sent to build a frontier town in the middle of nowhere. Basic tools provided. 

Experiment length: 3 months

Size of Starting Experimental Group: 500 members (501-1001) 

Results: Experiment deemed a partial failure. Developed society was too close to simulated human ones, deemed to be not unique enough. Security forces were dispatched to exterminate and demolish the settlement. 

 

Experiment 3: Genome altered so that beverages with alcoholic content are more desirable than water, alcohol resistance increased. metal will now also appear more shiny than they really are, leading all metals to seem more appealing. 

Conditions: Same in Experiment 2 however more Implanted memories with basic instructions on how to make basic alcoholic beverages. 

Experiment length: 3 months 

Size of Starting Experimental Group:  500 members (1002 - 1502) 

Results: Experiment deemed a partial failure. Developed society more closely resembled a society of “goblins” as said by Life Creation Division Director George Nelson. All metals were greedily hoarded. Security Forces were dispatched to exterminate and demolish the settlement. 

 

Experiment 4: Genome reversed so metals will not seem more appealing. Intelligence levels increased (IQ increased). 

Conditions: Same in Experiment 2.

Experiment length: 62 Days

Size of Starting Experimental Group:  501 members?  (N/A) 

Results: DETS-1242 (Dwarven Experimental Test Subject number 1242) managed to elude Security Forces and hid in a cave. 1242 managed to survive for a week with minimal food and water. 1242 eventually stumbled upon the new settlement and promptly told everyone what happened. Security Forces Immediately dispatched to Exterminate everyone. Test subjects fought back with surprising tenacity, managing to wound 3 members and kill 2. Security Forces were reprimanded for complacency in procedure. 

 

Experiment 5: Ingenuity, curiosity, and inventiveness all increased. 

Conditions: Same in Experiment 2.

Experiment length: 9 months 

Size of Starting Experimental Group:  500 members (1503 - 2003) 

Results: Experiment deemed a success. Basic metallurgy was formed within 3 months. George Nelson Personally unsatisfied with results. Security droids were dispatched to exterminate and demolish the settlement.

 

Experiment 6: Same as Experiment 5

Conditions: Same in Experiment 2, however subjects now have a small subconscious fascination towards metal, along with implanted subconscious memories on how to better mine and refine ores and how to make basic tools, along with subconscious knowledge of basic distillation. 

Experiment length: 1 Year

Size of Starting Experimental Group: 500 Members (2004 - 2504) 

Results: Experiment deemed a bug success. A functional society was developed and big advancements were made on an almost monthly basis. Technological process development seemed to stagnate around the ninth month. An Interesting thing is that some members of the group seem to gain knowledge on how to use “magic” using mana. They seemed to use mana to increase their strength often, using it to better mold sword handles and to mine ores efficiently. Report was written and sent to relevant persons. DNA of mana wielders saved. Security Droids were dispatched to exterminate and demolish the settlement. The mana wielders managed to lightly damage one unit. 

 

End of report 

________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

2