Chapter 39: And Then They are Complete
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before Jaegar and the Kobold Lord started fighting, Leonze was already running for his life. A horde of kobolds was chasing after him. He was now in the pathway they took earlier where they were first attacked by the kobolds.

"Damn those guys! How dare they use me as bait?! If I ever survive this, I'll let them have it!"

Leonze screamed loudly as he ran vigorously. His arms were swinging back and forth with a runner's form. The kobolds were snickering and growling as they pursued Leonze through the forest trail.

As Leonze ran closer and closer to the town, he realized that the noise behind him was getting quieter by the moment. He wanted to turn around and check, but that also meant he would slow down a bit. He didn't want to risk the probability of getting caught and killed because he got curious.

Leonze could feel his body starting to slow down. His breathing became heavy. He strained his arms and legs to move, for even a little distance meant his life would be extended for a bit more.

When his body couldn't move anymore, he stumbled and rolled on the ground. Upon reaching a full stop, he curled up his body in a fetal position and covered his head with both of his hands. He awaited the inevitable piercing pain from the kobold's spiked clubs. He waited for a while longer. It didn't come.

Leonze raised his head and slowly opened his eyes. He was facing the town, which was now visible in the distance. He scanned the area quietly. There were no kobolds near him. Leonze slowly stood up from the ground as he dusted himself.

"Well, I guess they didn't pursue me since I'm this near to Equasulle. Should I still ask for help for those ingrates—"

When Leonze turned around toward the direction of the kobold camp, his jaw dropped upon seeing the trail of dead kobolds behind him, their bodies scattered everywhere on the ground.

"W-what happened here…? Why are they all dead…?"

---

Alecsia grabbed Jaegar's hand as he pulled her up from the ground. Alecsia still couldn't remove her gaze from Jaegar. She couldn't believe what she just saw.

"What was that…?"

"You're the only one who's seen me doing that. I'd appreciate it if you didn't tell anyone else."

Jaegar started to pick up the pieces of his armor.

"Even your party?"

Alecsia tilted her head as she continued to watch him.

"Yeah."

"But why?! If you're that strong, then—"

"I have my reasons. It's for their safety… But it seems I don't have to worry about you getting hurt. So, I decided I could show it to you."

Jaegar quickly glanced at Alecsia and then resumed collecting his armor.

"You're right… You don't have to worry about me—"

"Finally, you said I'm strong! And now that that's out of the way, how about you officially join our party?"

Jaegar cut her off as he was starting to wear his armor again.

"What 'party'?! You're the only one left alive! I couldn't do anything for them… It's always been like this…"

Alecsia covered her face with both her hands as she started to cry quietly.

"Huh? I wouldn't invite them in my party if I needed to watch over them every time. Well, except for that scammer. But he's a special case. Anyway, you're underestimating them."

Jaegar kept his gaze at Alecsia. She then lowered her hands and looked at him.

"What do you mean—"

"Ah! I've been dragged by the river downstream! I haven't swum like that in a while. Oh, it's over already?"

Brittanya came out of the river while wringing her clothes dry.

"You're alive?!"

Alecsia pointed at Brittanya.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Brittanya smiled back at her.

"B-but you got hit by that blade…"

Alecsia kept staring at Brittanya.

"I think… I like… this bow…"

Kryllo then came out of the forest and walked toward Jaegar and the others. He was staring at his bow in his hands.

"He's also alive?!"

Alecsia then pointed her shaking finger toward Kryllo.

"You're never going to use that thing as a bow, are you?"

Jaegar glared at Kryllo, who then shook his head as he looked back at Jaegar.

"Hey, guys! Something weird happened!"

Leonze came out of the forest and entered the clearing.

"N-no way! How come all of you are still alive?!"

Alecsia's jaw dropped when she saw Leonze walking toward them.

"Yeah, it's weird that he's not dead yet. Don't mind him, he's just extremely lucky or something."

Jaegar turned his head away and motioned his hand for Leonze to shoo away.

"Hey! I heard that! It's like you really wanted me dead!"

Leonze clenched his fist as he glared at Jaegar.

"I wouldn't have minded that. Not a particularly great loss, if you ask me."

Jaegar picked his ear using his pinky finger and then blew at it.

"And after you sent those kobolds after me…! Good thing that they're all dead now."

Leonze kept his glare at Jaegar.

"How? I'm sure you're not the one who killed them."

Brittanya then stared at Leonze.

"That was the weird thing I was talking about… I don't know how it happened…"

Leonze scratched the back of his head as he looked up.

"Whatever. Anyway, I asked her to join us. I hope there aren't any objections."

Jaegar pointed his thumb at Alecsia beside him.

"Really? Well, we didn't need to protect her, so I guess she qualifies in your unrealistic requirements."

Brittanya squinted her eyes while looking at Jaegar.

"Finally, another beautiful lady with hopefully a better attitude toward me!"

Leonze smiled at Alecsia.

"I do think I'm beautiful, but I'm not flattered when it comes from someone like you, who just ran away for his own safety."

Alecsia then glared at Leonze and then let out a scornful sigh. Leonze then fell on the ground on all fours with his head hung down.

"She's even worse than Brittanya…"

Leonze let out a loud sigh.

Meanwhile, Kryllo has been quietly staring at Alecsia. She noticed it and then asked him about it.

"What's the matter? Don't tell me you've really been captivated by my beauty?"

Alecsia raised an eyebrow as she smirked.

"Not… really…"

Kryllo then turned around. Alecsia wondered to herself what was that about.

"Enough of that. Let's head on to Mount Havenero."

Jaegar started to walk toward the forest again.

"Hey… I haven't said whether I would join you guys or not."

Alecsia grabbed her elbow as she looked away.

"Don't worry, we're not expecting anything outrageous out of you. Just don't get killed. I think you got that in the bag already."

Jaegar looked back at Alecsia for a while, and then he started walking again.

"I know I've wanted to join a strong party even before going here… But… I can't…"

Alecsia gripped her elbow more tightly as she talked under her breath.

"Hey, Alecsia."

Brittanya called out to the troubled healer.

"Y-yes?"

Alecsia turned her head toward Brittanya.

"Don't worry. Everything will be fine. And even though he doesn't show it much, he really wants to get rid of those monsters for everyone else's sake. Or at least that's what I want to believe… Anyway, I just know that you too want to help others by getting rid of the monsters. So, just think of it as joining together with a same goal in mind, right?"

Brittanya beamed as she looked Alecsia in the eyes.

"Okay… If you say so, I guess…"

Alecsia forced a smile at Brittanya.

"Then, let's go!"

Brittanya then grabbed Alecsia's hand and dragged her while running after Jaegar.

---

The party then resumed walking toward Mount Havenero. It was still a day away from where the kobold camp was located.

Once nightfall arrived, they decided to make a small fire to serve as lighting. They then made camp beside the river that was connected to the one Brittanya fell into earlier.

"So, I guess I should have asked this before getting you to join us…"

Jaegar stared at the flickering fire while he sat on a rock.

"Huh? What is it?"

Alecsia was kneeling near the flowing water. She turned her head to look at Jaegar.

"D-do you… know how to… cook?"

Jaegar squinted his eyes as he stared deep into Alecsia's eyes.

"Of course, I do. Aren't all adventurers supposed to know how to cook in order to survive out here?"

Alecsia raised her eyebrow at Jaegar. Everyone else in the party aside from Alecsia then breathed out a huge sigh of relief.

"Who's got time to learn how to cook?"

Jaegar shook his head.

"Oh, great! I was worried I wouldn't be able to eat tonight."

Brittanya smiled as she rubbed her stomach while lying down on the ground.

"We kind of gotten used to Syrenne's cooking. I was worried when she didn't join us."

Leonze poked the wood of the campfire with a thin wooden branch.

"I'm… hungry…"

Kryllo looked at his stomach as it growled loudly.

Alecsia scooped her hand into the river and then splashed everyone with water.

"I'm from the Holy Clergy! I'm not some handy chef you get to lug around! How are you all still alive until now?!"

1