Ch10 Eighteenth Birthday, P1
556 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Eighteenth Birthday (1)

~10.1~

*****

After the field trip, the rest of the first year passed by uneventfully. Every outing was accompanied by one of our several guardians. I noticed odd things a few times after the field trip at the end of term one. I’m pretty sure it was the enemy’s surveillance, but nothing actually happened.

The only real thing that bothered me since then was the answer to my question. “What was I?” I got the answer, but I still haven’t come to terms with it. I still don’t know why I locked my memories. I know what Elysia Athas was. It feels unreal. I know I created the system. I remember creating it. I don’t know why I created it. But I do know the system is a construct of my origin power. Now that I know what I was, it makes sense that I would be the one to create it.

But what happened that caused me to go so far as to sacrifice myself… to split my soul from my body? One to be used as a glorified battery that has powered the most powerful barrier in history ever since… and one to gather mana to power the rest of Elysium.

But how long can my original body last? I don’t know how old I was when I split apart. I still know next to nothing of the past, but I know how powerful my prime is. What in the world could have happened to warrant such an extreme act?

Such thoughts have plagued me ever since.

December 10th… today’s date.

Before we knew it, the year was almost over. Yep, I’m eighteen now and of age to marry. Alethea, Michelle, Adele, and I started making plans soon after that outing when Adara and I confirmed who we were with each other. Adele and Michelle were still not at the party, though. What was keeping them?

“Happy birthday, my lady,” said one of the many guests. Kye nodded and thanked him quickly before he left to make way for the next person.

I have to greet so many people, and I’m stuck in this dress. I mean… Alethea said I look beautiful, but I really don’t like wearing dresses.

Kye glanced beside her where Alethea was standing and smiled.

Never mind how I look, she’s the beautiful one here. We’re getting married soon. We’re chronologically eighteen now, too, though we’ll be legally nineteen in less than a month. This world is weird.

“Happy birthday, my lady,” said another guest.

That voice is familiar.

“Thank y-” She stopped short when she saw his face. “You!”

Alethea looked over and gasped.

“Who are you?” Kye asked, her expression leaving no room for anything less than an honest answer.

“Greetings, my lady. I am Shiro Shikigami,” he answered.

“That name again,” Alethea interjected, her hand glowing white.

“Not here, Alethea,” Kye said, grabbing her partner’s hand. “Your name is Shiro Shikigami?”

“Yes, my lady.”

Kye smiled. “Shall we have a discussion in private?”

“Kye!” Alethea protested.

Kye waved her off. “Shall we?”

The man agreed, and Kye announced she would retire for a while.

“Who is that?” Layla asked as Kye and Alethea led the man out of the room, with Liliana and Aliana following. Kye’s parents were just out of earshot and didn’t hear the name the man gave.

“I don’t recognize him,” King Zen replied, caution in his eyes. “I don’t like her meeting with him in private if I don’t recognize him.”

“I don’t either. His mana is strange. He’s hiding it quite well, but I can tell it’s not normal.”

“Will you go with them?”

“I probably shouldn’t. The look on Kye’s face is rather serious. I’ll have James listen. He’s better with covert magic than me.”

“Okay.”

*****

“Who are you… really?” Kye asked. “You clearly know something about us. Your parting gift in January eliminated any coincidence.”

“As I said before, I am Shiro Shikigami.”

“That man is-”

“-sitting right here, I assure you. I don’t know who you are exactly, but you clearly know who I was once upon a time.”

“The legendary tyrant,” Alethea said.

“Indeed. That was a dark chapter. Might I ask who you were in that life?”

“I don’t think you’ll like the answer.”

Shiro narrowed his eyes. “I think I can take it. After my time in Eden, I’ll be fine.”

“Before we answer that, answer something for us?” Kye asked, trading glares with him.

How in the world has he escaped Eden? Surely, he wasn’t released. I’m still not convinced that he is Shiro Shikigami. But at minimum, he knows of that world. Kye glanced at Alethea.

I don’t like this. If this is really Shiro Shikigami… Alethea sighed. I don’t want her to have to deal with that.

“If it is within my knowledge, I shall answer.”

Kye nodded. Let’s see how he answers this. “Why the attack? You’re clearly powerful. You probably could have killed us yourself that day.”

He didn’t answer right away. He took a sip of tea and sat there in silence.

Quite the answer, Alethea thought. She’s right. He’s powerful enough to contend with us, even with Aether Drive and Mana Burst. So why the smoke and mirrors? What’s his game?

He took a deep breath and began to answer, but Kye cut him off. “Don’t have an answer?”

“I just don’t know what to say. There’s a variety of reasons.” He dropped his noble façade. “Let’s clear the air, shall we? The core of your question assumes I intended for you to die that day. I did not. I meant for none to die, in fact, and if my information is correct… none did. The only casualties were demon beasts.” He paused for a moment. They likely doubt who I am. They’re waiting to decide after giving me their previous names. There are a great many possibilities, but I doubt most of them.

“Why bother with the attack at all? If your goal was not to kill anyone, what was it?”

“To test you, nothing more. If you had died, that would have constituted failure. You survived, as I expected, thus you pass. Simple really.” He took another sip of tea, never breaking eye contact.

“What do you want with us?” Alethea asked.

“Ah, that will have to wait until you’ve answered my question. I’ve already answered one of yours. It’s only fair.”

“Very well,” Kye said. She showed no fear as she stood and demonstrated the salute that her rebel forces had used. “Shiori Sakaguchi, at your service.”

A wave of shock came over Shiro’s face as he flashed back to their final battle. “You… you’re… her?”

*****

Revision: 12-29-2023

14