Chapter III: Crown Prince Qi
501 0 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Oblivious to the trouble his outstanding face had caused, Xin Lin had resumed work as usual. Wangye had come back for lunch and the kitchen was abuzz with chatter and cooking. He really had no time to think about last night’s adventures and had subsequently forgotten about Wangye’s order. Xiao Hua had been sending him looks all afternoon, practically radiating smugness and pride. Xin Lin was not ready to confront whatever idea she’d cooked up this time. When she finally found time to corner him lunch was over and they were cleaning the kitchen.

Xiao Hua leaned over to him conspiratorially as they were scrubbing the floors, with a lurid grin. Whispering: “Somebody has a crush on A-Lin~ and not just anyone either!”

Ignoring the tease in her voice, Xin Lin continues scrubbing. “Is that so? It is not the first time, I don't particularly want to kno--”

“How can you be like this A-Lin! You should at least appreciate the others feelings even if you can't accept!” Xin Lin inwardly grimaces as Xiao Hua continues-- ”Besides, if this person decides to pursue you there’s no way you can refuse them!”

That in and of itself is frightening and annoying, who cares how high a person’s position can't he have a say who he has a relationship with? “Now I really don't want to know. You should just drop it, if it really is someone of high standing there's no way they would come looking for me.”

Xiao Hua huffs at that, “You really should have more self confidence. You're really good looking and you have a good personality, anyone would be lucky to call you theirs.”

“Good looks are more a burden than a boon, I'd rather be normal than attract trouble like this. Besides, I won't just let anyone call me ‘theirs’ as you put it.” Xin Lin sighed in exasperation, he'd rather not get into any relationships with anyone. It was already hard for him to adjust. A lover would just be unnecessary trouble. 

“You should just drop it--” before Xin Lin could say anymore, the kitchen mistress called Xiao Hua out to the courtyard. “Go, I’ll finish up here.”

Xiao Hua nodded and trotted off in an offensively good mood for teasing A-Lin. Xin Lin sighed, it seemed he would be doing that more and more as Xiao Hua grew up, or didn't as it goes. She was too childish and liked teasing people, not to mention being curious about all the wrong things. Keeping her out of trouble was getting harder.

When Xin Lin had finished his tasks, he went out to the courtyard to empty his bucket and saw a pretty, dimpled young girl talking to a handsome young man not to far off. It was precisely Xiao Hua and Xi Ying. Both of their cheeks were red and she seemed excited. Xin Lin huffed a laugh, looks like she was getting confessed to. He wished their love well in his heart before walking off whistling, completely unaware of the real situation.


Xi Ying was having a hard day. Not only had Wangye fallen in love at first sight with someone low-born, but Xi Ying had also been scolded by Crown Prince! He felt miserable. It wasn't as if he had anything against peasants, he was one himself, but Wangye needed his first marriage to be a strong one. He needed the political backing of some rich and powerful clan so that no one dared to provoke him. Also, Xi Ying wanted Wangye to have the best. Such a person doesn't really deserve Wangye’s affections. 

It was with these thoughts Xi Ying made his way to the back courtyard. Now all he needed to do was make sure that small serving girl kept her mouth closed about the matter. Even if Wangye was persistent in pursuing that servant, other people hearing about it now would be disastrous. Xi Ying waited outside as the kitchen mistress went to call that small serving girl, a bit anxious.

When Xiao Hua appeared Xi Ying didn't have the composure to look at her appearance, before when he had come to the back courtyard he had been distracted by Xin Lin’s eye-catching looks and had only glanced her way. He, with a stiff face just directly said what he came to say.

“You should know not to say anything about what you've seen.” He resolutely squared his shoulders, trying to be intimidating.

Xiao Hua feigned innocence and asked tilting her head cutely, “What did I see?” The slight furrow of her brows was sympathy provoking. Inside she was chiding the young man before her “Who would speak of such a thing? Who would believe such a thing? Even if someone believed me, I’m loyal to my lord, why would I breathe a word of it to anyone?!”

What with that expression of a sudden, Xi Ying felt that this little maid was actually quite good-looking. He stuttered a bit. “Wh-when Wangye came to the back courtyard. You should not speak of what you don't know.”

Xiao Hua looked at his red ears and giggled internally, if she had known he was so easy to tease she would have done even more! “But it's only natural Wangye would like A-Lin! A-Lin is so outstanding nobody can ignore his charms, not even me.” Blushing for effectiveness she continued before Xi Ying could protest, “But I’m still really loyal to Wangye, so we will keep it a secret and cheer him on from the sidelines! Also don't worry about A-Lin, he too clueless to notice, haha!” She fluttered her eyelashes artlessly, small cute mouth curling up in a sweet smile as she laughed. It was really quite breathtaking to see such an “innocent” and “sweet” girl.

Xi Ying who had unknowingly been taken for a turn and sucked in, could only turn the color of a tomato and say, “As long as you know!” and hurriedly run off, as if being chased by dogs.

As soon as she saw his retreating back that disappeared like the wind, Xiao Hua nearly doubled over in laughter. He was way too easy! How could he look so fierce on the outside and be so innocent and cute on the inside? Too good, she needed to tell this to A-Lin! She laughed and skipped away, today was a good day!

When Xi Ying got far enough away, he stopped and crouched in some of the nearby bushes, hand over his mouth. He distracted himself from his thoughts by focusing on his breathing and slowing his heartbeat. This was the first time he had seen a girl who fit all his criteria; cute, lovable, good-tempered, not fussy, and definitely not like those girls who connived and lied to get what they wanted. A simple guileless girl. He smiled softly to himself and stood up, finally having regained control over his body. He huffed a laugh at his own actions and carefully stepped out of the bushes, making sure not to ruin the hard work the gardener put into them everyday. It wouldn't do to mess up Jun Manor’s gardens. With that thought he went to go report to Wangye and write a secret missive to His Highness Crown Prince Qi.


Jing Qi walked through the ostentatious halls of the palace, keeping in mind his deportment to remain fitting of a Crown Prince, when all he really wanted to do was slump his shoulders and groan. As soon as the world knew he was no longer sick, it seemed they wanted to break down his doors in an attempt to see him. Oh they came with all kinds of excuses, hope you're better, best wishes, this or that needs your opinion, can I get your advice, etc. Just last week they had been mourning his death, anticipating it even.

Jing Qi fought valiantly to keep the sigh in. it really wouldn't do to let it go here. Slowly pacing with measured footsteps, he wondered at his own future. If there was to be more of this, he can't say he was excited for it. But since he was the Crown Prince, the one destined to be the future Emperor, he would do his utmost, no matter how tiring. Coming to a halt in front of the grandly decorated doors of the Emperor’s study, Jing Qi took a silent breath and nodded to the eunuch on duty. He squared his shoulders as the heavy doors were opened by the hands of four guards and the eunuch announced him. It was time.

He waited half a beat before the Emperor ordered him in, and then stepped forward. He cupped his hands and bowed deeply, as the Crown Prince there was no need for him to kneel. “Crown Prince greets Imperial Father.”

“Rise,” when a deep and regal voice called him, Prince Qi raised his head and met the Emperor’s deep, enigmatic eyes. He couldn't tell what emotion was held within them.

“We have called you here to congratulate you on your return to health.” the Emperor scrutinized Jing Qi with slightly squinted eyes, as if deeply regarding him. Jing Qi felt himself straighten like a rope pulled taut underneath that stare. Despite the man being his father, Jing Qi always felt that he could never measure up to the Emperor’s standards. He felt like one thumbnail of the Emperor’s was equal to all his many years of hard work and talent. All his successes and failures had been met with little more than a nod or a frown. When he’d done wrong there had been light scolding, when he’d done right there had been urges to do better. But he had never felt any true emotion of the Emperor’s directed towards him.

“Crown Prince thanks Imperial Father for the kindness,” he bowed again, cupping his fists. If it had been when he was younger, Jing Qi would have been hurt at the lack of sincerity in the Emperor’s tone. It was only recently that he had come to know that no one garnered the Emperor’s attention for long. The Emperor was a busy man, he couldn't hold anybody above another, his duty was to serve the people. In that sense, being the Emperor was the hardest most overworked position a man could achieve, and people still fought for it, imbeciles. Did they even understand what the Dragon Throne meant?

The Emperor waved at a eunuch, who stepped forth with an imperial edict and announced: “Crown Prince Qi is hereby rewarded with a thousand taels of gold, a thousand taels of silver and a hundred bolts of fine silk.” He placed the edict in Jing Qi’s hand and stepped back, head bowed.

“This is just a small gift that We had casually prepared, what We really want to gift you is this fan painted by Our very own hand. Keep it well,” with those words the Emperor handed the fan to the eunuch who then passed it to Jing Qi.

Receiving it, Jing Qi responded with respect, “Crown Prince thanks Imperial Father for his generosity.”

On the fan was painted the image of a tiger and a dragon engaged in mortal combat. The inscription of the fan read: “The spring tiger fights the autumn dragon.”

It's getting heated! Augh I had originally intended for this just to be a little story with not much plot beyond the romance bit,but then my brain's love to make convoluted plots interceded. Idk what this is gonna end up like, but for now I'm enjoying seeing the characters take on a life of their own, even if its at the expense of my wrist. Constructive criticism always welcome! also please point out if there's any mistakes as I can only edit by myself, I dont always catch everything (´,,•ω•,,)♡ also also last chapter being so long was a total fluke, I dont have a set amount of words for my chapters and just write as much as I can

16