Chapter IV: Getting Advice
2.3k 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing his duties in the kitchen there was still a lot of time left in the day, so Xin Lin went to see his friend in the front courtyard. Xin Lin’s friend’s name was Su Hong, and he worked as a gate guard and messenger at the front courtyard. He was actually a soldier who had fought on the battlefield with Wangye and was fiercely loyal to those he deemed worthy. After Xin Lin had saved him, Su Hong had developed a good friendship with him that began with gratitude and slowly developed from there. It was through Su Hong that Xin Lin had met Xiao Hua, who was Su Hong’s little sister.

Xin Lin was originally a commoner, just like Su Hong and they both came from the same province. When Xin Lin had saved him he was just returning from visiting his relatives and had been ambushed by a gang of thieves. Of course, since he was trained by Wangye, what simple gang of thieves could best him? He quickly dispatched them but was still badly injured in the end. It was then he was in dire straits and Xin Lin helped him.

Recently, Su Hong had been giving Xin Lin archery lessons, as he felt regular martial arts were too boorish for his pretty friend, so he had opted with teaching him ranged weapons. At first Su Hong had no expectations for the delicate looking Xin Lin, but Xin Lin had grown up on a farm, he was no stranger to hard work. On the contrary, he was quite talented in this area, his technique was almost flawless and his core and stance only needed a bit of work.

“Brother Su! I came again today!” Xin Lin called out happily as he approached.

“Xin-er, you're late today, did something happen?” Su Hong accepted the dumplings Xin Lin handed to him while asking.

“Ah, Xiao Hua got called out by the kitchen mistress, so I finished her work for her.” Xin Lin smiled winningly, expressing his good will.

“Oh? Did she get in trouble?” Su-ge was worried.

“No, actually I think she got a suitor! Haha!” Xin Lin’s laugh showed he was truly happy for his friend.

“Don't tell me Xiao Xiao is already at that age? When did she start getting suitors?” Su Hong’s face showed a big brother’s worries, and he seemed ready to end anyone who dared mess around with his Xiao Hua.

“This seems to be the first, I think he was not much older than her. She's already growing into a woman, a little romance isn't bad, besides they looked really cute together. I think it's much better than hopelessly crushing on that young master Jiang.” 

Su Hong agreed with him, albeit reluctantly. Not wanting to get caught up on this subject Xin Lin quickly changed it.

“Su-ge, what are you going to teach me today?” He was eager to learn more as he had always harboured a sort of idolization for martial arts. It was simply something he had always thought of and wanted to do, yet never had the time before. Now in this new life he didn't want to care about time or restrictions, he only cared to do the things he’d never done and experience the joy those things brought.

Su Hong looked at the sparkling eyes and curiously excited expression on Xin Lin’s face and felt any resistance to the subject change melt in his mind. It was fine, in any case this little kid over here was happy to learn from him. In the future they can both protect Xiao Hua from anybody with impure thoughts…

“Well then, let's get started.” He said after clearing his throat, no time to waste.


Pacing around, Jing Shu felt himself worked up into a frenzy. Of course it was stupid, but he couldn't help but think of all the worst possible outcomes that could come of his next actions.

He stopped pacing and squared his shoulders. It wouldn't do, acting like this, only a coward would be afraid to face their feelings. No, he would confront them head on, charge right in and directly take hold of them. That was the only way he knew to control this kind of situation.

Wangye had made up his mind, tonight would be the last time he would see that little servant, then he would forget about him. He couldn't bear to just tear himself away abruptly, he was chagrined to realize he had fallen so deeply so soon. It was irrational, illogical, how could he have been felled by just a simple meal? By just seeing him lazing in the sun? He sighed helplessly.

But it was already like this, he couldn't just ignore things forever. He needed closure; the best outcome was if the little servant just rejected him. Then he could begin to forget, and everything else would just follow. 

He continued to pace, still uncertain of the outcome. In his heart of hearts he really didn't want to be rejected and secretly hoped that the servant would accept. This was the first time he had ever felt like this for someone else, the closest he could come to this feeling was what he felt for his brother and his mother. His closest of family, it could be misconstrued for such a feeling, and yet it was intrinsically different. The feelings he held were already so complex, but one thing was for sure, his didn't want to kiss his brother. He also didn't think his brother’s lips were kissable.

There was only one problem. Jing Shu didn't know how to express this.

Jing Shu worried about what he was going to say. In times like this when he couldn't find a solution to his problems, he would call together his lieutenants and aids, looking for counsel. But he couldn't tell anyone, these things were to be kept a secret. It wasn't just that he obeyed his big brother wholeheartedly, believing his counsel to be good, it was also… embarrassing.

How could he ask a war counsel to give advice on love?

What good advice could they give? 

All of them were either bachelors or old men with only one thing on the brain, fighting, fighting and only more fighting. They were good for a war strategy, but who knew how they thought on domestic affairs. Jing Shu shuddered, he wouldn't even touch that with a hundred li pole.

Hard times called for drastic measures, and there was only one other person besides Qi-ge that Jing Shu could ask. Even if Xi Ying acted a little silly at times, he was loyal and brave, and the only other person he could ask. He was the last resort.

He was also standing just outside.

“Xi Ying.” Jing Shu called out his aid’s name in order to signify only he enter.

“My lord,” Xi Ying entered and bowed, his head seemed to be a little in the clouds.

“I-I want you to-to give me—ahem, I want you to be my practise dummy.” Jing Shu could feel his neck start to heat up in humiliation, thankfully he avoided asking for relationship advice. Who knew what Xi Ying would respond with. He hadn't really thought this through, but there was no escaping it now. It was better to suffer through and get a good end result than to shame himself and his ancestors in front of his possible future-lover. He gave himself a mental pat on the back.

After shoring up his mental reassurances, Wangye was ready to tackle his next big problem, which was: what exactly was he to say?

“My lord, if I may?” At Jing Shu’s nodded assent, Xi Ying proceeded with his words, “What are we practising?” 

Jing Shu stilled at the inquiry, cursing his subordinate for not being able to read between the lines. Was he really supposed to say it out? “I-I want to practise confessing m-my undying love…” it was then that it hit him, was he really gonna use brain-dead Xi Ying for this? Right now, Wangye regretted everything. He especially felt bitter that he had to fall in love in the first place. He was tempted to just take his chances at winging it, but immediately stopped that train of thought.

Xi Ying had been shocked into silence, although inside he had a few things to comment on, like: “My lord, what about not exacerbating the issue and putting it on hold? What about Crown Prince, wouldn't it be better to consult him first?” And last but not least a resounding “F**k, do I really have to pretend this kind of thing with my lord?! Am I really being forced to be the girl in this fake relationship?!”

Jing Shu, uncaring of his subordinate's inner crises, said with more authority than he felt “You just stand there and be silent, I will just say what I have to say and we can get this over with.”

Xi Ying was screaming internally but only replied with, “Yes.” He could not shed any tears, but he truly wished to. 

“I-I love you!” Jing Shu squeezed his eyes shut, too embarrassed to look Xi Ying in the eyes. Why was he doing this again? Oh yeah, because he was a fool.

Xi Ying who could not say anything swallowed his complaint of “My lord isn't it more awkward this way?!” and a mouthful of blood.

Despite initial discomfort, Jing Shu found that after saying the words he really didn't feel that much different. He opened his eyes and saw the agonized and enduring face of his aid and immediately retracted that thought. Nope, he couldn't continue! But! He! Had! To!

“M-my feelings for y-you have extended beyond that of—” Jing Shu was sure that he wouldn't stutter half as much when it came to the real thing, mostly because it wouldn't be half as sickening to say this to someone he loved than to his aid. His shoulders slumped in shame and frustration. Things really weren't panning out like he’d hoped.

“M-my lord…” a timid voice piped up, “don't you think you should learn his name first or...?”

Jing Shu’s agony compacted as he realized he had forgotten one of the most important things. “Who told you to speak! Go outside!” he threw a studiously carved paperweight at the fleeing figure of his aid.

Seeing the shattered pieces on the floor, Wangye decided to just wing it.

On that note, he needed to do something first. “Xi Ying get in here!”

“Y-yes my lord?” with fear and trepidation Xi Ying re-entered the recently vacated study.

“What’s that servants name?” Jun Wang asked gruffly, griping internally how stupid he was. He didn't even know his own one true love’s name, how stupid!

“It’s Xin Lin my l-lord!” Xi Ying found his voice had gone reedy and high pitched. Wangye’s anger was starting to show on his face, and that wasn't a good sign. It never was a good sign.

“Hmn. Come with me to loosen my muscles and bones, Xi Ying. This Wang hasn't had a good workout in a while. Also, call the manor’s guards out, I’m going to inspect their training today.” Xi Ying could only nod and run off, thankful and relieved he wasn't the only one going to suffer his lord's wrath.

Jing Shu went back to his work and waited for nightfall. Surely things would work themselves out slowly, he just had to take it one step at a time. First was to vent—ah no, to inspect his soldiers’ training.

Everything was just fine.


After a few long hours of training with Su-ge, Xin Lin drug his heavy body back to his quarters to wipe himself down and get ready for the dinner preparations. Thankfully Wangye wasn't expecting any guests today, so the workload would be lighter. He made short work of his old and sweaty clothes and quickly wiped down his body, fearing if someone were to return and walk in  on him.

It wasn't as if he wanted to be so self-conscious, it was just, the other servants tended to ogle him whenever they saw a bit of skin… Well, they ogled him even if there wasn't any, but that was beside the point. Xin Lin was glad to have good looks, it was a far cry from how he used to look, but there was always the bother that came from it. Nobody would leave him alone, always being the center of attention was less than stellar for someone as quiet and distrusting as him. He didn't enjoy all the envious, horny and lurid stares. Everybody had an opinion, but why did they have to force them on him? Please, Xin Lin just wanted a quiet life.

After he had swiftly dressed himself and dumped the dirty clothes and water out, he went to the kitchen to help with things there. On the way he met Xi Ying who, after a few moments of scrutinization, left without a word spoken. Though there seemed to be a strange expression on his face when he turned away, Xin Lin didn't bother with him. Whatever was bothering the man wasn't any of his concern, and whatever opinion the man had of him also didn't matter to Xin Lin.

Once in the kitchen he felt himself sucked in by the everyday hustle and bustle, forgetting his earlier thoughts and replacing them with the worries of a kitchen hand. He still hadn't remembered Wangye’s order.

As the sun’s last rays faded beyond the horizon, Xin Lin found himself slowly walking back to the servants dormitory, too tired to think. A few of the other servants had discussed and were planning to go out on the town tonight, seeing as there hadn't been any big events they weren't as fatigued as usual. They had invited Xin Lin, who had promptly refused on the politest terms. It wouldn't do to make his coworkers angry, he was already known to not mix with the general crowd and some people resented him for that, saying he was stuck up. In reality, Xin Lin just didn't want to weather a dirty, sleazy tavern, or a dubious brothel. Coming from the 21st century he wondered what diseases you could contract in such places. He shuddered at the thought.

Unsatisfied with his answer, the other servants went on their merry way, grumbling and leaving Xin Lin to enjoy the tranquility of the night at the Jun Wang Manor.

Left alone and unperturbed, Xin Lin couldn't help the niggling in the back of his mind that he’d forgotten something, but nonetheless ignored it. Stripping down into his night clothes he went to sleep, content if not happy.

here it is the fourth chapter, now with a last minute addition of moe wangye being embarrassed! ☆*:.。.o(≧▽≦)o.。.:*☆ I'm really happy with this chapter! As always please point out any mistakes and please give this some love *shamelessly begs for appreciation*

11