Chapter VI: Telling Big Brother
364 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The spring tiger fights the autumn dragon.

These few words from the Emperor had been on Prince Qi’s mind as of late. They were the inscription of the painted fan he was so generously given after he had overcome his sickness. He couldn't parse the meaning, but knew it had something to do with the situation at hand. As an Emperor the ruler of the Jingyan1Made up this Dynasty Dynasty was well-versed in cryptic hints and doublespeak. Everything he said, wrote or did held an underlining meaning, waiting to be found. Even as his son Jing Qi didn't have it easy, the only advantage he had was knowing the Emperor from his years in the Imperial Palace. The Emperor was as much an enigma to his own offspring as he was to his ministers. Jing Qi didn't find this bad, on the contrary it kept him on his toes, he was always down for a little mind game. Unless it had to do with Jing Shu, watching his idiotic and martial-arts-consumed little brother fumble about in the Imperial Court was… exasperating. Simply put, it was embarrassing and hard to watch. 

Jade Emperor knows the country needed a profuse general like Jun Wang. His illustrious battle record was a balm to the worried hearts of commoners. The safety of the borders relied on the reputation of the country’s generals, and Jing Shu had bolstered that reputation with his martial brilliance. Indeed, his brother was an unprecedented genius, but as with most geniuses his brother had one fatal flaw, namely he couldn't comprehend normal people. His brain worked on another wavelength. He was straightforward and righteous, while the court ministers were sly and liked to beat around the bush. The two didn't mix well.

In any event, Crown Prince Qi knew the Emperor was dropping another one of his helpful hints. And after this morning’s court that thought had only compounded. If Jing Qi could comprehend it in time he would be able to avoid another disastrous pitfall in his journey as heir to the throne. He sighed as he gazed once again at the fan, sometimes he felt like he was as much a dumbass as his brother. Only, Jing Qi had tempered it with books and knowledge instead of horses and battles.

Just as he was about to call his attendant for some tea, a servant announced Jun Wang’s arrival. Speak of the devil and he shall appear, Jing Qi went to the bamboo pavilion where his brother was waiting. What could it be this time?

When he arrived, Jing Qi found his brother in a very dispirited mood. His shoulders slumped, his face was somber and even his eyes turned down. Jing Qi almost did a double take, was this really Jing Shu? In all his life Jing Qi had never seen such a look on his little brother’s face. He had seen Jing Shu angry, sad, scornful and regretful, but never never had he looked this-this grief-stricken.

“What’s wrong? Shu-er?” He broke in without preamble, something this serious needed to be dealt with immediately.

“Qi-ge,” Jing Shu looked up to see his brother walk towards him with a frown marring his brow. He stood up reflexively, if anyone knew how to fix his problem it was his big brother. "Qi-ge, I need your help." He practically begged, he would've prostrated too if he didn't feel that the moment he did so he wouldn't be able to get up again.

Coming into the pavilion, Jing Qi motioned for the tea to be served and told the servants to leave. "Sit down Shu-er, you don't need to worry about ceremony with me. Tell me, what's wrong?" Coming closer he marked the dark circles under his little brother’s eyes. It seemed really serious.

Jing Shu released a pent up breath, and tried to calm his shaking hands. He didn't understand how it could effect him so much, but he only knew it pained him. Terribly so, "Big brother, I-I was wrong, b-but I couldn't help myself.” He hung his head, like a scolded child. 

Now Jing Qi was a little less worried and a little more intrigued. What could make his brother react like this? Despite all his good traits, anyone who knew Jing Shu understood he was a proud man, how could he hang his head? It would hurt his warrior’s pride that he put so much stock in.

Confused, Jing Qi placatingly asked: “What did my didi do wrong, can you tell this older brother?”

As if reluctant to state his wrongdoing, Jing Shu hesitated. “I knew you would advise against it, so I never told Qi-ge.” That as an introduction was a bit vague, and concerning, but Jing Shu wasn't done so Prince Qi let him continue before scolding him. Using his brother’s silence as an anchor, Jing Shu resumed speaking. “I decided to confess, with the intent to get rejected, but-” he shuddered on a sigh, “but I wasn't strong enough to really try. In reality I wanted, no, yearned for him to accept me. I didn't tell big brother before, but when I had first met Xin Lin—that’s his name—I had ordered him to meet me at the kitchens late at night. In the beginning it had only been to taste his cooking again, but somewhere along the way, I just really wanted to see him. Nothing could stop me, not good advice, not my good sense. I know it was incredibly stupid, but I had told him my feelings.” At this Jing Shu stopped once again, finding it hard to continue. He couldn't force the words of the story of his shameful rejection from his throat that choked up with them. He didn't want to cry, there were no tears that could express his soul-deep pain. He felt numb to the world.

Seeing him Jing Qi understood. He too had once felt like this. It had left a permanent scar, but now he could look back with only a little bitterness. Those days had long passed. 

“You got rejected.” He had understood, there was no need to say more. Jing Shu nodded somberly.

Jing Qi really sympathized with his little brother who loved so deeply. Jing Shu had always and only given his love wholeheartedly, along with his trust. In the Imperial Palace trusting others so much wasn't so facile or endorsed, and Jing Qi had never known his brother to give it easily. For someone to show up so suddenly and break into his world, and then break his heart just as quickly, he really couldn't fathom how much that hurt. But truly, it had been of Jing Shu’s own making. There was nothing he could say that would comfort him, as Jing Shu was aware of his own faults. He felt that scolding him for this was superfluous, Jing Shu would beat himself up much more for it.

“I think you're aware of what this could mean. We still need to shield this information, but in the end you are both blameless in this matter. It was fate that wasn't kind. We just need to make sure that ser-Xin Lin is aware of how his actions could affect not only himself but others. I won't ask you to do this, I know the wound is still fresh. I think it best if you stay away for a few days, clear your head. Get away from the Jun Manor for a while to heal your heart.” Jing Qi refrained from saying “broken heart” as he felt that was too demeaning. No matter if he’d done wrong or not, Jing Shu was still his little brother, Jing Qi would protect him unfailingly.

But Jing Shu himself waved him off, he was done with being a coward. “No need, I’m fine. Staying in the manor is also fine, it’s not like I see Xin Lin everyday, it won't affect me. Big brother, I want to do better, be better. I know these years I have never been much help to you or Imperial Father. My duty as a son and brother hasn’t been fulfilled with my utmost. I will henceforth do my best for your sake, please give me another chance.” And I also want to be better for you Xin Lin, he added in his mind.

No longer was Jing Shu bowing his head in defeat, no longer was the air of a lovesick and heartbroken man about him. No, Jing Qi felt he saw the passion and resolve of a warrior that had faced his fiercest battle and survived. Not won, but survived, it was enough to survive. He had stood up and regained his former glory. It was a bit dazzling, and Jing Qi admired his little brother a bit more for it. He imagined that this was the true reason why the Emperor doted on Jing Shu so much. He was already this strong in the face of his most heart-rending adversity. How could Jing Qi compare? He thought that maybe he was only chosen as Crown Prince because he was the Empress's offspring, and because Jing Shu had expressed disinterest in it. He felt his inadequacy fully.

Maybe he should have been bitter, if not jealous, but he could only find admiration his heart.

“Good, whatever you choose to do, this big brother will support it.” Jing Qi’s lips tugged up in a smile subconsciously.

And then Jing Shu slumped again, like a deflated balloon. It was quite comical, and Jing Qi would have laughed if it wasn't for the look of apprehension on his brother’s face.

“Qi-ge I say that, but I really don't know how.” The mighty Jun Wang looked up with hope at the equally majestic Crown Prince, eyes pleading. “Can you tell me how?”

This time Jing Qi did laugh, an enthusiastic belly laugh. It was too much, to see his tall and strong little brother look like a pleading child again, what a sight for sore eyes! He had thought his brother had already grown up, but it appeared he had just been hiding his childishness, his vulnerability under a thin veneer. It was only Jing Qi who had not bothered to look.

“Do not laugh brother, I am being serious!” Jing Shu pouted, he seemed to be a little unstable. But this too threatened to illicit another improprietous laugh from Jing Qi, but he held it in not wanting to hurt his already fragile brother.

“Brother knows, brother knows. I wasn't laughing at you, I only felt happy with your resolve. Whatever you don't understand this big brother will explain, whenever you're not sure I’ll help you. There’s no need to worry or panic. And if you ever find yourself sad or lonely, you can always come to me. Maybe I'm not as pretty, but I like to consider myself good company.” He could only placate and comfort his brother for now, the future was still uncertain. Who knows, there might still be a chance that Jing Shu could find happiness again. It would just take some healing, is all.

Jing Shu was finally at ease. While it still hurt tremendously, with his Qi-ge’s assurance he no longer dwelt on it. Maybe he was too drastic, in the end it had all been his selfish emotions, not thinking about others. He could try again; try to win Xin Lin’s heart the proper way, after this whole mess had been sorted. Then he could have a clear conscience about it. If he was still rejected, well, that would be the end of it. But he felt he should still try once things had calmed and some time passed. He didn't want to be a coward anymore.

The rest of the visit proved to be good for the both of them, and after a light lunch Jun Wang went back to his manor to oversee his affairs and do his work. He couldn't slack off just because of some emotional turmoil, besides he found throwing himself into his work a little therapeutic. 

He would wait a little longer to tell his brother about his plan to win Xin Lin’s heart. He really would tell him, just a little longer.

Phew! Another one down. As promised here is chapter 6! I know it's not the best and there isn't much humor in this one but I thought it was necessary for Jing Shu to get some sort of closure (and support). And I really want somebody to give my baby Jing Qi some love! σ(≧ε≦σ) ♡ He's such a sweet older bro! Also it recently came to my attention that my formatting could be hard to read on phones, if you're having trouble just say so and I'll try to edit it better!

9