Chapter VII: My Big Brother Doesn’t Listen
334 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Xin Lin was worried. Not for himself nor because he was scared of punishment, he was worried for Jun Wangye. That night he had run away in a panic, he hadn't been able to deal with his emotions, and he was sure that hurt the honorable man. He blamed himself for acting like a maiden in distress when little had even happened to cause such a reaction.

The man had only said a few words to him, what had been so terrifying about it? Well, he tried to downplay it, although in reality he was still terrified of those few words. How could the man even know what he was truly like and still say it? Did he know that Xin Lin was selfish and self-serving? Was he aware of the fact that Xin Lin wasn't nearly as good on the inside as he looked on the outside? Most of all, Xin Lin was afraid he was being lied to. So he couldn't accept it, not in good faith.

Going about his duties as usual, Xin Lin found himself thinking more and more about Wangye, and feeling remorseful for his reaction. Xiao Hua noticed his down mood in the morning and tried to ask him about it at breakfast, but he ascribed it to the cloudy weather and brushed her off.

Not wanting to be caught and interrogated, he went about his duties quickly and disappeared to the front courtyard to find Su-ge, a little physical exercise would clear his head.

Once he had made his way there he looked around for Su Hong but couldn't find him. Where had he gone? Instead of giving up and going back—he really didn't want to deal with Xiao Hua at the moment—he wandered around searching for him. It was then he ran into Xi Ying who felt a bad premonition fill his gut.

What kind of crazy situation was he going to get into now? 

Xin Lin didn't recognize Xi Ying as Wangye’s aid, and so didn't hesitate to ask: “Hello, can this lowly one ask a question?” he bowed politely, hopefully he wouldn't be brushed off, he was just a kitchen hand after all.

He was unaware of the fear and trepidation Xi Ying felt at the sight of him bowing. He screamed internally: “Do you want Wangye to kill me?!”

“Ah, y-yes it’s fine.” His hands were sweating.

“I am looking for a gate guard by the name of Su Hong, not sure if esteemed sir has seen him?” Please say you have, I need something to do. I mean, I need to talk to him.

Xi Ying’s eyes widened, he felt like he’d just seen something indecent! This servant, Wangye was already so devoted to him and here he was looking for another man! Shameless! Pei! 

With those thoughts he answered coldly, not caring if he was rude. “NO I haven't!” and then he stalked off, fire in his steps. He hoped that Wangye would fall out of love with this servant as quickly as he had fallen in love, he wasn't worth it. Xi Ying only regretted the fact that he didn't have the guts to tell Wangye. He wasn't suicidal.

Xin Lin blinked in astonishment, what was that just now? It didn't really matter, and Xin Lin was too preoccupied with his own worries to think much on it, so he waved it aside and continued his search. He wanted to find Su-ge before lunch.


Xiao Hua sighed, today was so boring. It also seemed like her best friend was having a hard day, but he was avoiding her so there was no help from that front. She had tried to catch him multiple times already, he was as slippery as an eel! She sighed again, what she wouldn't give for some choice gossip right now, but there was no hope for that, not with the best of it all locked up inside her mind. Nothing could top Wangye’s romantic gossip, and it just happened to be about her best friend and him too! What a waste!

“Xiao Xiao.” Su Hong called out to his daydreaming sister. What had gotten her like this again? It better not be a guy. Su Hong’s hackles raised as his thoughts became outrageous, Xiao Hua looked at his red, angry face blankly.

What was he angry for?

“Gege, what are you doing here?” She tilted her head innocently.

“Hmph, don't play innocent with me, you little troublemaker, your gege already knows all about the confession.” Su Hong stood imperiously over Xiao Hua, he would not relent until he found out who the interloper was.

“Confession? What confession are you talking about gege?” Xiao Hua was truly confused now, and when did she become a troublemaker?

Seeing her sweet and blamelessly confused face, Su Hong felt he really had a little devious, mischievous spirit for a sister. Why can't she be guileless like other peoples’ little sisters? “The one that Xin Lin witnessed yesterday! Don't deny it!”

It took a moment for Xiao Hua to think about what happened yesterday before she realized. Her brother was probably mistaking it for the conversation she had with that annoying guy, right? Xin Lin saw that?! How embarrassing! She had only teased the guy a bit to get him to go away, it was really not like that! Who would like an idiot like him anyway?

“Big brother, it’s not like that, he was only returning something of mine and got embarrassed ‘cause he lost it. That’s all, I promise!” She tried to channel most faultless and virtuous expression on her face, Su-ge had to believe her!

“Oh? And what, pray tell, was the thing he was returning?” Su Hong sneered inwardly: he’d known his sister all his life, he was quite aware of her devious nature. He was also very aware of just how attractive the bums in this manor found her.

Xiao Hua gulped, she hadn't thought of that yet! “It was-um, Oh! I know! It was a book I had lent him since we both really enjoy reading!” She smiled victoriously, take that gege!

Su Hong snorted, “You, reading books? I see more likelihood in you jumping into the middle of the market place and acting like a chicken.” Really, he wasn't born yesterday, that little stutter was a dead giveaway.

“Gege!” Xiao Hua exclaimed in protest. Was this how Su-ge saw her? An unwed maiden with no couth at all, just doing stuff to cause trouble and getting confessions here and there? She wouldn't stand for it!

“Now you listen here Su Xiao Hua, I was quiet and let you be about that stupid and fruitless crush you had on Jiang Gongzi, but I will not let you run off with a dubious nobody! Either you let me meet him and gauge how much he’s worth, or you don't get to see him ever again!” Su Hong was getting red in the face with how worked up he was. But he wasn't about to let Xiao Hua run off and brush this aside.

Xiao Hua rolled her eyes, Su-ge wasn't listening again. Whatever, she was annoyed too, that guy hadn't even shown his face let alone confessed. “It's really not like that gege. He didn't confess and I don't have a crush on him.” Her tone was deadpan and bland, she was already tired of this subject that her brother refuses to see eye-to-eye with her on. 

Just then, Xi Ying ambled his way into the back courtyard, his destination: of course it was Xiao Hua, who else? He carried a bouquet of wildflowers behind his back that he had picked earlier, hopefully she liked them. It was a great sacrifice for him as his hay fever was acting up just at the smell.

He saw Su Hong that Xin Lin had been looking for and snorted in his mind at the remembrance of him. That guy was cheating on Wangye with Su Hong, and Su Hong was cheating on him with Xiao Hua—wait, what?!

Su Hong and Xiao Hua?! No way! Besides, Su Hong and Xin Lin were supposedly together, why was he anywhere near Xiao Hua?! Were they all two timers?!

Xi Ying wouldn't take this lying down, no he was ready to fight for his love!

He marched up to Xiao Hua and presented his flowers, let see you top this Su Hong!

Seeing the idiot in question come up to her bearing a bouquet of flowers Xiao Hua just wanted to faint in exasperation! This was not what she needed right now! A hand smacked her head reflexively, goodbye life you nice when she had it!

Su Hong who was already about to explode in anger reached his boiling point. The wretch decided to show up on his own! He turned to the interloper and recognized him as Xi Ying. Who cares if he’s Wangye’s aid, who cares if he’s well known to be brave and loyal?! Who cares! Su Hong punched him square on the nose, directly knocking him out!

Xi Ying who was out cold on the floor: Well, I guess I lost that round!

Xiao Hua really did faint this time, if only to escape the consequences to come. So it was fake, but her brother didn't know that! With that thought she dropped like a light, Su Hong catching her.

Dage walked in to start getting ready for lunch preparation. He looked at Su Hong holding an unconscious Xiao Hua, and then the punched unconscious Xi Ying, and how he splayed like a doll with its strings cut on the floor. He blinked, and then he blinked again before walking out. He was not dealing with this, where is Xin Lin when he needed him? Or the kitchen mistress, she could set ‘em straight.

Su Hong, who was panicking, saw him leave and reached a hand out to stop him. He tried talking but could only get an agitated screech to leave his mouth. What was he supposed to do now?!

When I first wrote out Xi Ying's character I didn't expect him to be this much of an idiot, (but he was still a pretty big idiot then.) in any case Su-ge and Xiao Hua have the typical sibling relationship: bickering. Also yes, Xiao Hua was always meant to be a little stinker. And she rlly likes to gossip. RIP Xin Lin and Wangye (^ω~)

7