Chapter IX: Little Beauty
296 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jing Shu covered his mouth with his hand, what had he just done?!

What had he just done?!

He stopped and leaned down, hands on his head, he was breathing heavily. Not only had he just kidnapped the very person he had sworn to not talk to until he had cleared his head, he had also hugged him a lot and stated his undying love for said person (again). What happened to all his resolution? Where had the promise to his brother gone? Jing Shu was doomed. Nothing had ever gone as he intended the moment he laid eyes on Xin Lin, everything was a mess and he lost the ability to control himself around him. His thoughts, words and actions would center around Xin Lin whenever he was in the vicinity. No exceptions.

He needed to do better, it wasn't fair for his brother if he was impaired mentally like this. He needed to regain control, show his good sides to Xin Lin—wait, no! What was he thinking? He’d already done enough of that just now with his stupid stunt! Who knows how many of his manor’s guards saw that! Good sides indeed! He had no discretion. He could have seriously put Xin Lin in danger. Who knows what spies had infiltrated his manor, you can only put so many precautions in place.

Jing Shu slapped his own head in repentance and after a few calming, deep breaths he went back to do his work (though it was debatable how much work he would get done after that). But, first things first he needed to get his shadow guards  to protect Xin Lin.


Xin Lin couldn't fathom how it happened, but as it happened he was lost. He looked around and found he had no idea which part of the Jun Manor this was. When Wangye had brought him here, Xin Lin had been too surprised to pay close attention as to the direction he took. He hadn't been thinking when Wangye left that he would end up like this, otherwise he would have asked Wangye to lead him back—brazen as that was.

But now there was nobody around so he couldn't even ask around for directions to the back courtyard. He sighed, there was nothing to do but sit and wait to see if anyone came by.

He was in a relatively well-kept garden that still held a bit of wildness to it. The trees inside were willows, large and sweeping, they had to be at least be a few hundred years old. He settled at the foot of one of those trees and sat for a while.

At first it was somewhat calming, and Xin Lin took this time to consider his feelings. He felt bewildered at his own reaction to Wangye’s advances. In his past life there really wasn't anybody Xin Lin had looked at with love in mind, in fact to get him to differentiate between who looked better than who, he couldn't tell. While others tend to look towards the outer appearance and how much money or assets, Xin Lin had never done so. His philosophy was simple: by their actions he judged them.

Back then he didn't have many friends, because in the upper crust of society there weren't many sincere people. A lot of the time he associated with the people who were useless to their family: the second son who was down syndrome, the deaf daughter, the guy with ADHD… and so on. It was usually these kind of people that were neglected by high society that had the most loyalty and genuinely wanted to be friends. 

But even then, Xin Lin had never thought of love.

Now, he was wondering whether what he felt was love or not. Or was something that would fade over time? He had seen a lot of that, and he sincerely hated it. In his opinion, love should be more than a feeling of infatuation, here one day and gone the next. But he wasn't sure what else it should be, what he should be feeling. What was love? 

Wangye seemed to know, he had declared it so boldly.

Thinking this Xin Lin felt his cheeks color a bit. Ah Wangye! How could he have done something so flustering? He shook his head to clear it, but the blush remained.

Finally calming down enough, Xin Lin noticed something strange, looking around, he felt a little unsettled, where had all the birds gone? There were also no sounds from the season’s last cicadas, and the crickets were quiet. He huddled closer in the cloak Wangye had given him, and leaned against the large willow he sat beneath, why did the wind suddenly feel so much colder?

Subconsciously Xin Lin held his breath, he wished that he could escape this place immediately.

Just then a tall soldier made his way down the path of the garden, he had a clean face that gave people an honest impression, and the moment he saw Xin Lin he smiled.

“Little beauty, what are you doing here?” He asked gently, a smile in his voice.

Xin Lin looked up at his unexpected-but-anticipated saviour, ah now he could leave this place!

“This lowly one is a little embarrassed to say that he is lost. He begs forgiveness if he has trespassed or broken any rules.” Xin Lin blushed a bit, feeling self conscious, but still held the other’s eyes, it would be Wangye’s fault if he did break any rules. But he couldn't push the blame on his lord. That would be too impudent.

The stranger just smiled at him again, and somehow it felt incongruous. “It's fine, there's no harm if you're just lost. Come, I'll lead you back.” He held out his hand for Xin Lin to take.

Hesitantly Xin Lin grabbed hold of that large and calloused hand that felt really cold, and hoisted himself up using it as leverage. 

He couldn't help feeling that this person was a bit enigmatic and mysterious, why was he over here instead of in the training field with the other Jun Manor guards? He also seemed to be someone of good lineage and had noble bearing, why was he dressed like a common soldier? As they walked along the path he looked at the man from the corner of his eye. The other caught him and smiled again, directly striking up a conversation.

“Little beauty, if possible can I know your name? I have never seen you in the Jun Manor before.” His voice was smooth and gave a sense of incongruity, but also soothed Xin Lin, coming together in a disconcerting way.

“Ah, that’s because this one works in the back courtyard, I don't suppose someone of your station would recognize me. My name is Xin Lin,” he lightly bowed his head and gave his name away. “Can I ask what xiansheng’s name is?”1Note that xiansheng means mister, Mr. etc. its a respectful term to refer to a stranger.

With a pleasant face the other replied confidently, “My name is Han Xie, I'm not such a noble personage.”

He smiled, but his eyes held a glint of something. Xin Lin looked away, uncomfortable. After casting his eyes back toward the path and found that they seemed to have actually entered even deeper into the garden, was this really the way out? He didn't remember so many trees the first time…

He looked back at his companion who smiled even more deeply, and suddenly he felt a deep sense of alarm. Who was this man?

“Ah little beauty, so you're Xin Lin, I didn't expect to see you so soon. I thought maybe Jun Wang’s shadow guards would have been keeping an eye on you. It's really a pity, tsk tsk tsk,” he shook his head as he clicked his tongue. The ever-present smile still lingered on his face, only now it was terrifying.

Xin Lin’s eyes widened, what was he saying? He felt that he should get away right this moment! He turned to run, not caring which direction, or if he actually got even more lost. Within a few steps he had lost sight of that person, finally feeling a bit of relief. He kept running and looked for a place to hide and anything to use as a weapon.

Back at the pathway, that manor guard, or Han Xie as he called himself, laughed lightly. It wasn't at all a pleasant laugh. Grinning he said maliciously: “Well, won't this be a fun game of cat and mouse.” He seemed really excited and moved like a shadow between the trees, following the direction Xin Lin had taken, laughter floating in the air.


It had been a few days, but Jing Qi had made a full recovery, and there were many people unhappy about this.

One of them was the Second Prince, Jing Xi. 

Hmph, why couldn't he have just died quietly?” Jing Xi leaned his chin on his hand with a huff. He looked down at the report on his desk and felt that telltale irritation build up again. He was jealous, and he hated it.

Why did Imperial Father choose him? Weren't there plenty of other, better candidates? Everyone had thought that the Emperor would've chosen Jing Shu in any case, didn't he dote on him the most? That’s why they were surprised when two years ago the Emperor declared Jing Qi as the Crown Prince. What did this mean, was he favoring Jing Qi over his other sons again? Jing Qi was the First Prince and the son of the Empress, of course it was the most proper to have him as the Crown Prince, but the old law that stated only the son of the legal wife (Empress) could inherit the throne had long been abolished in the Jingyan State.

The Emperor could have chosen any of his sons. But he chose Jing Qi, and then summarily ignored him. It didn't make sense, but it gave the other Princes hope. If Jing Qi died then they might become the next in line for the throne. Of course they would first have to get Jing Shu under control, but as the Jun Wang he was too outstanding, he also had the Emperor’s favor and protection. Trying to win him over was the only choice, but the man swore off politics, to the point that he asked the Emperor to be excused from attending court twelve days of each month. And even stranger, the Emperor agreed. He actually agreed!

Jing Shu truly was the Emperor’s favorite.

Jing Xi ground his teeth. To the side Jiang Xian pursed his lips, he felt helpless. He truly wanted to relieve some of Prince Xi’s worries, but he was only a somewhat talented scholar, he had no right to barge into his lord’s business.

“Your Highness, here’s some tea,” his hands moved and poured some for Jing Xi in a refined manner. This was all he could do, support his prince.

“Un, thank you,” Jing Xi responded perfunctorily in a distracted tone, taking the cup.

Jiang Xian felt frustrated. He had done everything he could all these years, but he felt that it never reached the Second Prince’s eyes. Now he was trying his hardest to win over Jun Wang, but the man didn't trust him! And with his consistent failures Jing Xi had stopped paying him any attention, he would even hit Jiang Xian if he was in a bad mood. It rankled Jiang Xian who had always been a bit prideful. He hated Jing Shu for not trusting him, Jing Qi for taking the Crown Prince position from Jing Xi, and he hated Jing Xi for not noticing his devotion. But he wasn't ready to give up yet, he still had a few more cards to play.

“Your Highness, I have come across some valuable information about Jun Wang, don't know if you would like to hear?” He tried to channel an innocent seductiveness into his demeanor. He was confident in his appearance, it was just Jing Xi and Jun Wang, who had never been moved by him so far.

Jing Xi put down the tea cup and looked at Jiang Xian, narrowing his eyes he wondered what this fox was planning now. “Speak,” he ordered in a plain tone.

Disappointed, Jiang Xian pouted, looking a little pitiful. “Well I heard that recently Jun Wang has fallen for some servant in his manor going by the name of Xin Lin. If we can control this little lover, then we can control Jun Wang—” Jiang Xian was startled by the tea cup being thrown at him.

“Useless! What do you think you were sent there for, hah? And you let some other faction grab this chance?!” Jing Xi was angry his plan didn't make it to fruition and threw a tantrum. They had been getting worse and worse lately.

“My lord-my lord, I know that there is no other faction involved as the servant was just a farmer’s son before this, he got into the manor by recommendation of one of Jun Wang’s trusted people, there’s no way it was schemed! We can still grab hold of this chance of Jun Wang showing his tail!” In truth, Jiang Xian found this way much more appealing, he had never liked the boorish and boring Jun Wang. Just the thought of becoming the man’s lover was enough to disgust him.

Jing Xi snorted disdainfully, he was just unlucky to have such a stupid subordinate. “Whatever, get in contact with this—whoever it is—and get them on our side. If you can't win him over, then kidnap him.” With that he flicked his sleeves and left, it was stifling in there.

Oops, I did a cliffhanger. ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴ Beat me up in the comments if you're angry.

5