Chapter XV: Bored
285 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun hung high in the sky and Xin Lin sat basking in its soft rays. Ever since Wangye had saved him, everything had changed. He was no longer allowed to go to the back courtyard, he was no longer a servant, and he couldn't walk around on his own. He was guarded closely by the shadow guards. It felt a little caging. The only upside was that the shadow guards were very discreet, and he never saw them. It was just the feeling of knowing they are there, that he can't do anything without being watched.

Xin Lin sighed, he didn't resent Wangye for it, he knew it was only to protect him… but it made him loath to do anything, lethargic. So he sat and pretended to be recovering—which he was—and did nothing productive, just being as lazy as was physically possible for him, which meant he was absolutely unable to sit still.

A pile of books had gathered on the small table by his luohan chuang1Chuang means bed in Chinese. Luohan Chuang was used as daybed during the late Ming dynasty., two in his lap and a variety of writing tools at his disposal. Of course he was trying to perfect his writing, he had once taken a few classes in high school for calligraphy, but unfortunately, his writing had devolved into some indistinguishable chicken-scratch.

He had taken great pains to remember what his calligraphy teacher had taught him, but his memory of that time had become mostly a blur. So instead he turned to some of the famous books written by worthy scholars in Wangye’s library. It was just, Wangye was a little more militarily inclined than he had realised…

These were all beautifully written treatises on war strategy and the impact of war on the people etc. they were all written in straight and firm calligraphy, lishu2Lishu, “clerical script,” or “chancery script” in Chinese calligraphy, a style that may have originated in the brush writing of the later Zhou and Qin dynasties (c. 300–200 BC); it represents a more informal tradition than the zhuanshu (“seal script”), which was more suitable for inscriptions cast in the ritual bronzes., some a little neater than others and none exactly the same. But they all held the same valiant and heroic quality, which Xin Lin could not replicate in the slightest. His writing wasn't like this, he couldn't remember a time when he had ever written so rigidly. He had always used caoshu3Cursive script, often mistranslated as grass script, is a script style used in Chinese calligraphy. Cursive script is faster to write than other styles, but difficult to read for those unfamiliar with it. It functions primarily as a kind of shorthand script or calligraphic style., and while his calligraphy had never been praised for its clarity, it was very artistically pleasing.

This was frustrating, Xin Lin scowled. He was ready to scream, he needed something to do, but he frankly settled on the worst possible choice. Not that actually reading some of the things in Wangye’s library sounded the least bit fun, but it was beginning to sound much better than this.

It was a long and drawn-out sigh that greeted Wangye as he came to visit his beloved. He smiled mischievously at the young man before him who hadn't noticed his entry. Xin Lin looked put upon and bored, and Jing Shu really wanted to tease him for it.

“Lin-er, what's wrong?” he smoothly straightened his face and asked with concern.

Xin Lin nearly jumped out of his skin, “Wangye! Don't just enter so silently like that!” He nearly had a cardiac event!

“Ah, I’m sorry, I didn't realise you hadn't noticed me, as absorbed as you were I hadn't wanted to disturb you.” He fought hard for the smile tugging at his lips to not show.

Seeing Xin Lin’s twisted expression that showed his conflict between being touched and just wanting to be disturbed so he could escape whatever he was doing, it was almost not enough. “Seeing that you’re busy, I’ll leave so as not to distract you.” He turned, finally able to let the smile loose, and slightly hung his shoulders.

“Ah! Wait—um, I just finished with it, you don't have to go.” When Jing Shu turned back around, he was met with soft and slightly watery brown eyes, that begged him not to go. His heart clenched, ah he couldn't tease him anymore, it was too horrible! Those pleading eyes were so limpid and artless, Jing Shu couldn't deceive them.

“Then, I’ll stay.” Jing Shu quickly scooped up Xin Lin, who squeaked, and placed the younger on his lap before taking a seat on the luohan. He held Xin Lin close and nuzzled his nose in the other’s neck, taking in the sweet scent that lingered there. It smelled like soap and that quiet warmth he always associated with his beloved.

Xin Lin placed a hand over his own mouth as Wangye breathed in and sighed in contentment, Jing Shu’s breath brushing the skin of the juncture between his neck and shoulders. His heart beat swiftly and he held his breath. Ah, this was just too much!

“W-wangye, please st—” he started but was interrupted by a deep voice.

“Don’t call me Wangye, Wangye all the time, ah! You’re not a servant anymore, you can call me by name.” Jing Shu moved up his beloved’s neck and nosed at his chin.

“But Wangye!” Xin Lin tried pushing that naughty head away, it was too much!

“No, you aren't allowed to say Wangye anymore. Say Jing Shu from now on.” Jing Shu let Xin Lin push him away and opted to look into the other’s eyes, he was serious.

“But, but! It would be out of line for me to say, our stations are too… different.” The words threatened to choke him, it felt like an insurmountable gulf had opened up between them.

Jing Shu held him closer and leaned down to press their foreheads together, it didn't matter, none of it. That was all something set up by other people, not something he had chosen, it wasn't something he would let come between him and the person he loved. He had thought Xin Lin already knew this, but he didn't mind reaffirming it.

“It doesn't matter, anyone who says something to the contrary will be punished by me. From the moment I met you, we were already equals in my eyes, there is nothing to worry about.” And then Jing Shu smiled sweetly, a beautiful smile that had Xin Lin melting into his arms with scarlet covered cheeks, hiding his face in Wangye’s embrace.

Ah! Ah! It was really too much! Xin Lin curled his hand into a fist and half heartedly hit the solid chest in front of him with it. This man would be the death of him.

Jing Shu grunted, that fist ah, he could tell it hadn't had any real strength in it, but why was Xin Lin always hitting him? He didn't do any evil deeds ah! He grabbed that curled fist and inspected it closely. It was finely shaped and the fingers were thin and neat, but it wasn't delicate, the hands had tiny scars that were mostly faded, and thick callouses. Little splotches of ink covered the fair skin sloppily, it was a lovely hand, and Jing Shu found himself kissing every scar and blemish he saw. His beloved shouldn't have to have any. He decided Xin Lin could do whatever he wanted with it from now on, whether he was beating Jing Shu or writing calligraphy, it was all good when it was Xin Lin.

“Wangye!” Xin Lin’s muffled voice whined, and then after a beat, “J-Jing Shu.”

Jing Shu felt himself smile as he moved to look at Xin Lin’s face, saying in a gentle voice: “Yes? What does my Lin-er want?”

Xin Lin knew his face was beet red and he couldn't say a word out of embarrassment, but he also couldn't look away at all. So he just hugged Jing Shu very tightly, he felt his heart was very eager, beating so hard and loud.

Jing Shu chuckled and felt his own cheeks flame a bit, ah if his beloved acted any cuter he might end up eating him right here. Thankfully he still had a bit of control, but stealing a kiss wasn't too much right?

He leaned down and tilted Xin Lin’s chin up with his forefinger. Xin Lin’s sparkly brown eyes looked up at him questioningly, as if asking what he was doing. That was the last straw.

His lips brushed Xin Lin’s and felt he had truly won a treasure. He pressed his lips onto the other’s with a gentle peck. He stared as he saw those beautiful eyes widen in realization, before closing in acceptance.

Xin Lin pushed his own lips up into the kiss, turning the chaste peck into something else as his lips moved against Jing Shu’s. He hadn't realized that lips were this soft, or that kissing was this wonderful.

Jing Shu noting his eagerness took advantage of it and started sucking on the other’s bottom lip, enjoying the taste. Xin Lin’s lips parted with a soft moan, and Jing Shu didn't hold himself back from thrusting his tongue in. He was drunk off of what he’d tasted so far.

Xin Lin found himself feeling an intensely pleasurable new sensation. He hadn’t kissed much before, but that didn't mean he had no experience, only those had all been incredibly bad experiences and he hadn't dared to try with tongue. He was surprised that kissing could be like this, and he found himself wanting more, accepting everything Jing Shu gave him. It was sweet.

They kissed until they were out of breath, and begrudged their lungs for needing it. Truly, if Jing Shu could he would have continued the kiss forever, it gave him such a euphoric feeling. He leaned in again for another kiss but was stopped by a hand on his mouth, which he still kissed even if he was disappointed.

“Jing Shu,” Xin Lin’s voice was reprimanding, even if he had enjoyed the kiss they shared he still felt it was too early for other things. He was a little uncertain, they were both men, and he had an idea how that worked. He didn't want to rush in because he was sure he would end up on the receiving end… and he was sure that meant he would feel some pain without preparation.

Did Wangye know this? He wasn't so sure.

Jing Shu had foolishly worked himself up for more because of Xin Lin’s accepting gestures, but he knew not to force it. If his beloved wasn't ready he wasn't ready, and Jing Shu would destroy anyone who tried to force him into anything he didn't want.

“I love you,” he whispered grasping that hand and squeezing it gently.

Xin Lin, with still flushed cheeks and a radiant smile, answered confidently, “I know, I like you too.” He was becoming more and more comfortable with their relationship. Jing Shu’s patience made him feel pleasant and safe, he wanted to give back, but he didn't know how. So he just rested against his lover and embraced him, snugly wrapping his arms around the other. He felt Wangye was so good, how could he ever measure up?

A comfortable silence fell over them as they held each other, barely broken by the rustle of leaves in the courtyard. 

“Mn, Jing Shu, why did you come here?” Xin Lin asked somewhat curiously.

“Did you not want me to come?” Jing Shu teased as he lightly pinched the little one’s nose.

“No, I just thought you were busy.” Xin Lin slapped the offending hand away, unperturbed.

Jing Shu pouted, “I am never too busy,” he was obviously unhappy at Xin Lin’s words and actions. 

Xin Lin stared at him, as if not believing him.

"You can't have nothing to do, you're Jun Wang, you have a lot of responsibilities." If Xin Lin was being honest with himself, He was a little jealous. Having nothing to do was boring.

"You're right, but my responsibilities include you, just like the others I shouldn't slack off on this one." Jing Shu said with a straight face, it was only natural.

Xin Lin looked down with a subtle pout, mumbling something under his breath.

 Jing Shu furrowed his brow, “What do you mean ‘it’s not fair’?”

Xin Lin looked up startled, he hadn't meant for Jing Shu to hear that! He had just been complaining a bit to himself under his breath, there was no real rancour in it.

“Ah—I just thought... that I would have liked some responsibilities too…” His voice got quiet and soft towards the end, trailing off. He felt a bit embarrassed, though he didn't understand why. “At least, before, I always had something to do.” He added inaudibly.

Jing Shu raised his eyebrows, he hadn't thought that not being a servant anymore would be a problem for his beloved. It seemed that Xin Lin was the type that always needed something to do.

“Well, since you are my responsibility, that, of course, means I will do my best to make you happy. What do you want to do?” He was at a loss, in truth what things did he have that Xin Lin could do that wasn't something a servant would do? He was hard pressed to think of an answer, so he decided to let his beloved just choose.

“I don't really know,” Xin Lin frowned, “I could always just go back to being a servant, it wasn't bad.”

“No! You aren't a servant, I won't force you to do something so debasing.” Jing Shu was firm in his decision, he had already come to a resolution a long time ago.

“But you aren't forcing me! I asked to do it!” Xin Lin was getting frustrated, but he tried not to get too heated.

“It's not that... if possible, in the future I would like to marry you, and you can't be a servant then, can you? Is there anything else you want to do?” Jing Shu was a little red but he managed to avoid sputtering.

Xin Lin squeaked, what?! Jing Shu wanted them to get married in the future? But, why would he want to marry Xin Lin? 

“You really want to m-marry me?” He could tell that his face already resembled a tomato.

Jing Shu gave him an intense long look, but his face was unreadable, Xin Lin was a little apprehensive.

In the end, he spoke out measuredly, “I do, I have thought about it a lot. If you’re willing, I plan to spend my life with you.”

Xin Lin was overwhelmed with that confession and buried his face in the other’s chest once again. He didn't know how to answer, he wasn't even sure of the present, let alone the future. So he just mumbled out a muffled response.

“I’ll think about it.” There really wasn't anything else he could say.

“Then, thank you. I know you’ll think seriously on it. I hope you only give me an answer when you are sure.” Jing Shu understood that it was hard to make such a weighty decision immediately. And Xin Lin was so much younger than him, he didn't want to pressure the other into thinking there was no other path for him. As Jun Wang Jing Shu held a lot of power, he was quite an intimidating figure. Not many dared to disagree with him.

He didn't want his relationship with his beloved to end up that way.

“Then how about this, you can be my personal assistant, and help me with my daily needs?” Previously, this position “personal assistant” didn't exist, it was something he had made up on the spot solely for Xin Lin.

Xin Lin didn't look up but he nodded. He didn't mind what it was, he just needed something to do besides sitting around being lazy.

Jing Shu smiled, his little one really was quite cute.

Sorry, so sorry about the delay, I was struck down with writer's block right in the middle of this chapter. I tried so hard to make it fluffly for you all, but at the time of writing, my mind was chanting "angst, angst, angst" so it took me a few days. >////< Sorry.

Also to those who are here for the thing I self indulgently call a plot, nothing much happens in this chapter (unless you consider that the original plot was just these two getting together). Don't kill me eep.

Also, Also, expect updates to slow down for a bit as I ran out of stocked chapters.

8