19 | With These Hands: Part 2 (이 손으로)
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sky was dismal as it showered down on them, its heavy drops lamenting for what was to come. Jaesung pulled his hood over his head and headed down the stairs. They decided to each take the trains separately to keep from looking suspicious. A bunch of punk-like kids would only draw unneeded attention.

He stopped at the yellow marker and peered onto the tracks. At the end of the tunnel, bright lights could be seen coming his way. The anxious apprehension in his body only seemed to worsen.

Jaesung ran his hands along the back of his sweatshirt, feeling for the outlines of the gun tucked inside. It was still there. He wondered if it would it really be so terrible if he lost it? The weight of it was crushing.

The train sped by, the strength of the blast whipping his jacket behind him. He brushed the hair away from his face, waiting as it came to a halt. It was jampacked with people, squished together with nowhere to go.

Suddenly, his cell phone vibrated in his pocket. Who the hell would call him now?

“Dammit.” Without bothering to check the caller ID, he answered. “The hell do you want? I’m busy.”

A tongue clicked on the other end. “Do you answer this way to everyone, or am I special?”

Fuck. It was Luca.

The doors opened before him, and a plethora of individuals scrambled off. A few knocked into his shoulder, others pushed him aside as they hurried to their destination. Even so, it was futile to focus on them. The phone felt like a hot coal in his hand as he clenched it tightly.

“I hope you’re ready. I’m counting on you, Jaesung.”

The mention of his name sent a shiver down his arms, goosebumps rising. But this was all the confirmation he needed that Luca had orchestrated this plot behind the scenes. Jaesung didn’t give him enough credit.

He wished to ask him why. Why him? Why now? Yet the words never left his lips. The announcement of the doors shutting blocked out the rest of his thoughts. There was no time, he had to go.

Just as they closed, Jaesung rushed in. He glanced at his phone, only to notice that the call had ended. Around him, the lights flickered as the train lurched forward. He held onto the railing and steadied himself.

By the time he made it to the apartment complex, he was dripping in rain and sweat, the smell unpleasant to his nose. Behind the building, crowded beneath the awning, stood the rest of the group. Everyone looked soaked, hair soaked, clothes clinging to their skin.

“This is miserable,” said Trace. He crossed his arms and glared into the distance. His short stature made him seem like a grumpy teenager.

“What, did your cereal sit in your milk too long this morning? I thought kids liked soggy cereal these days.” Jett winked as he lit up a cigarette, the click of the lighter drowned out by the downpour.

Trace curled his fingers into a fist. “What did you just call me?”

“Guys, guys. Now isn’t the time. What happened to keeping a low profile?” Jaesung’s remarks fell on deaf ears, however, as Trace grabbed the cigarette out of Jett’s grasp and stepped on it.

“Smoking is bad for your health.”

“Those aren’t cheap, man! What the hell?”

“Hey, you guys.” Feng attempted to draw their attention, but failed miserably. Sick of being ignored, he forcefully tore them apart. “Yo! You can argue later, ok? We, uh, have visitors.”

Jaesung nearly suffered whiplash from turning his head so fast. Standing before them, sheltered by an umbrella, were Luca and Giovanni. How long had they been there?

“Why are you here?” The words flew from Jaesung’s mouth before he could stop himself.

“To make sure you guys don’t fuck it up, obviously.” Luca walked towards them until he was right beside Jaesung. He trailed his finger over his cheek before giving it a light slap. “I’ll be watching just in case.”

“Luca Maniaco,” said Trace. “We won’t disappoint you.”

Was Jaesung the only idiot who had no clue who Luca was? He had to learn to give the person in charge the respect of his position, or he had an inkling he’d be the first in an unmarked grave. He caressed his cheek, the pain gradually fading away.

“Come with me.” Giovanni led the way, not once glancing back to check if they followed.

Every word Jaesung wanted to say stayed on the tip of his tongue, his intense gaze locked on Luca's face. Amidst the heavy rain, Jaesung swore he saw him smile.

0