Chapter One: Parade of Demons
18 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Far Shore

Aria had molded her magic into the semblance of a blazing tiger made of white-blue flames. It continued to hurl itself into the darkness of the Far Shore, lighting the way for her carriage. 

The Far Shore was a concept quite familiar to the demonfolk and exorcists. It was the middle, existing between the material and the ethereal planes. It was malleable but not formless, and thus it was the perfect road for interdimensional travel. 

Although eerie, it was hauntingly beautiful; it was like riding through an inky black night sky. The boundless heavens were all around: above, below, to the sides. It was truly a ride amongst the stars and all other kinds of celestial sights.  

However, Aria didn’t have a modicum of tension in her body. Rather she was slouched down in what appeared to be a cheap lawn chair that she placed atop her carriage. It completely contrasted with the dark, ornate materials that went into making her ride. Of course, it also clashed with the intrinsic beauty of the surroundings.

Yet, Aria paid it no mind as she was slowly slouched deeper and deeper into her chair. 

“Become one with the chair,” Aria muttered to herself as her lazy eyes drifted across the flickering lights of the Far Shore, looking for something to grab her attention. All the while a sigh was building in her chest. She had just finished competing in a legacy tournament of some random old fart and was looking for the next event to cool her blood.

Demon blood was what her father called it. It was a need for excitement, a need to cause trouble. And right now that blood was beginning to run hot, causing her to slowly rise from her chair. Even the sigh that was about to escape her lips was about to transform into an irritated shout, but the sound of wings filled the air and gave her pause. Two plump bat-like creatures flapped their wings at her as if to fan her. 

One of the bats was red while the other was blue, but they both possessed a single horn that extended out of their forehead. 

“Ah that feels good.” Aria once again slouched deep into her chair, “Especially you Raitan.” Raitan shimmered blue as each flap of his wings brought forth a chilly wind. 

“I’m trying my best, Boss.” Katan, the red bat, grumbled. He flapped harder as if to compete but it didn’t matter. His natural affinity was the opposite of Raitan, which is why Katan often boasted about making the best Kotatsu, a type of heated table. But for Aria’s whose blood often ran hot, Katan's legendary Kotatsu ability was more poisonous than anything. Although it did have a purpose occasionally.

Aria ignored the red bat’s efforts though and just uttered aloud, “I’m bored.”

Katan puffed up his chest, “Boss, it appears there is a parade of demons not too far from here.”

Aria, tilting her head and giving a lazy grin, settled her glare on the two. “Oh. Is that why you smell of liquor?”

“What?!? We would never have…”

Aria waved her hand and cut Katan off, “Raitan.” 

The blue bat trembled and couldn’t make eye contact with her piercing gaze. 

“Raitan, my favorite and most well behaved… y-you… didn’t… wouldn’t…” Sweat began to pour from the creature’s skin, “Oh...but you did. You’re going to break my heart.”

Aria had spoken in a flat tone devoid of emotion. There was no feigned heartbreak in her expressions either. This contradiction between word choice and tone caused the two bats to shake. 

Katan stopped flapping his wings and prostrated, putting his head onto the floor. With his form, it looked like he was just belly flopped on the floor. Aria, who could only hear distorted mumbles, assumed he was apologizing. 

Raitan followed. “I’m sorry as well…”

“It’s fine. I’m just teasing. Even the angel child still has demon blood...” Aria's voice trailed off as she moved her attention away from the two. There was an awkward silence; nonetheless, the carriage changed directions at her command. 

The only sound was an almost roar-like screech that came from the wheels of the carriage. The  flames of the blazing tiger intensified as the carriage sped even faster through the nightly sky. 

Like the bats had reported, not too far in the distance, a parade of demons could be found. There were all kinds of creatures from floating heads to beaked creatures to skeletons to glowing balls of fire. 

But if all their features differed, their reactions were all the same. 

“It’s the princess!” A feather creature shouted first.

“Run! The Tyrant is here!” A beaked goblin threw up his arms and tried to run.

A drum with a mouth bellowed, “Escape!” 

Like a choir of raccoon dogs the various demons prattled, shrieked, and cowered. As if to justify these actions, a massive white paw blocked out the heavens above and corralled all the spirits and demons alike. There were perhaps three dozen figures under the paw.   

“Oh, if it isn't the Princess.” A floating head with a thick, wispy beard floated next to the carriage. It was apparent that he was an unlucky figure who had merely been pushed forward by the rest of the crowd. Nonetheless, it laughed in a shameless manner as if it didn’t just try to run away. 

“I’m just here to reward you for taking care of my precious familiars.” Aria's eyes gestured towards the bats, who were guzzling down any bottle they could get their hands on. Meanwhile, the various demons gave them subtle, but still very apparent, death stares. 

“Ahem… of course we would treat them with the best comforts available.” The floating head didn’t possess a neck but it sounded like it was trying to clear its throat while speaking. 

“They are supposed to be on a diet though.” Aria tapped the armrest of her lawn chair. Everyone froze, even the two bats. Katan in particular stopped with a very chubby mouthful. He tried to swallow quietly, but the sheer amount of food made it difficult and thus it took multiple attempts to get it all down. The entire time his pleading gaze was directed at Aria. 

Aria fanned herself and yawned. “But you couldn’t have known…” 

“Ah, yes. Thank you.” The floating head glared at the others, which caused them to finally move. They took away all the food and liquor that Katan and Raitan had stashed. 

Aria directed her carriage towards the front of the parade and once again slouched in her chair like nothing had happened. “Well, continue wherever you were going. For your sake, I hope it doesn’t leave me bored.”

“Y-yes, princess.”

“Hmph. Resume the parade lest I get bored sitting here.”

“Of course.” The floating head gave a relieved sigh with a slight yet genuine grin. Once again the various demonfolk began dancing in the sky with music and booze. Katan and Raitan were tied up on some kind of talking lamppost that was also dancing. The way they bounced would not do well for their stomach—this thought pleased Aria.  

Yet, despite all the fanfare and excitement Aria did not join the parade but closed her eyes and took a small nap. 

Aria wasn’t aware of time passing, but she had kept a vigilant watch. Even though she didn’t open her eyes, her senses were extended out. Her eyes opened slightly as she felt something on the outer edge of her aura and awoke. 

It took several minutes or so, but a group of people blocked the parade.

‘Taoists maybe…’ Aria examined the people’s attire from her still half-closed eyes. They had white robes and displayed a variety of ritualistic styled talismans. Behind the men were cages. Cute and small raccoon dogs could be seen shivering inside. 

Aria’s hands became tense and her muscles tightened all over her body. Yet, she remained still for the moment. 

“Stop!” A loud bellow erupted, directed at Aria’s company. 

The dancing and merriment once again ended, and the floating head again took the lead and strolled out of the parade. 

This time his face wore a scowl. “Who dares impede our parade!” When the floating head roared, his head grew three times in size while his eyes glowed with green fire. Similar aggression could be felt from the other demons and spirits.

“Hmph. Idiotic demons. I swear none of you possess a brain.” The man moved his hand forward and a spectral hand grabbed one of the imposing demons at the front, but when the hand made contact, the demon whimpered and transformed into a small foxlike creature. It whimpered as it was pulled away from everyone.

Aria’s teeth clenched. No one seemed to notice the air growing colder. The group began laughing. It was too much. Although she didn’t move, she could feel a wet sensation on her hand as if it had pierced one of the man’s torso. She could hear the laughter turn into cries and the cool sensation of blood dripping down her hand. They would try to run and one by one the cold sensation on her hand would grow.

But Aria opened her eyes fully and the scene in her mind was gone. The men were still fine and still laughing. She looked down at her hands. There was blood. It was her own. Long black claws grew out of her hand. She took a deep breath and a cold mist flowed out. It caused the men to stop and look at her. With one deep breath it was like the entire area had become winter.

“Katan.” Aria said dreamily, but he was already there without her needing to say anything. She blinked a couple times, causing the rest of the drowsiness to leave her. With another breath the rest of the cold air exited her body.

‘I’m as much my mother’s daughter as I am my father’s.’ 

“What, a wolf spirit?” One of the men blurted out at Aria. Aria reached for her ears when she heard this and sure enough there were two fuzzy ears on her head. She sighed.

“Your diet is over now,” she mumbled to the bats as she strode forward. A club appeared in her hand.

At the same time, Katan came over with the fox in his hands.  

“I’ll take that man. You got the rest.” Her club was pointed at the man that had previously assaulted one of her own. 

“Alright, boss.” Aria lunged forward. She had cut through the very concept of space and had thus arrived at the man instantly. 

She began beating the man mercilessly all across his body. Meanwhile, fire and lightning shot out all around Aria. When she turned there were all singed remains.

Aria threw a black and blue, lump covered man onto a pile of blackened bodies. With their bodies inoperable, their souls were returning to their respective sect.

The Far Shore was a harsh place where the laws of the universe offered less protection. The deeper parts would result in one’s soul drifting into the circle of reincarnation, but here in the shallower parts, death just meant a loss of belongings. Aria estimated that the men probably lost half of their cultivation base as well. Years of hard work down the drain just like that, plundered by the demons they sought to capture.   

“You can take whatever they have on them.” Aria spoke to the parade. Her eyes lingered on various orb-like objects. They radiated with the cultivation bases that the men had lost. She saw the chubby cheeks of her bats and knew they had swallowed quite a few of them, but she didn’t reprimand them this time. In her eyes they earned it. 

“Thank you, Princess!” A chorus of gratitude echoed out from every one of the demonfolk.

The fox along with several of the freed racoon dogs approached Aria. They gave her legs little hugs before they scampered off. She smiled as she watched them play amongst themselves. 

“So where were you all headed?” Aria asked. She hadn’t been too bothered before, but now it felt adequate to ask. 

“An auction house in the Adventurer City of Oro.” The floating head didn’t possess fear in his voice anymore. Although Aria found the look of graduate and idolization to be more annoying.

Nonetheless, she asked another question “Your purpose?” 

“Snacks!” Katan interrupted while smacking his lips. He got a little too close to the floating head, causing the head to scrunch its face, filling it with wrinkles. 

“No, we don’t really have any reason… just an old man's instincts.”

“Hmm. I’ll continue to guide you guys the rest of the way. If you find any evidence to identify the men who accosted us then send it to me as well as Night Parade. You can use my name.”

The floating head began crying. “Thank you, Princess!” 

“Yeah, yeah whatever.” Aria slouched back into her chair, but her eyes shimmered with a dull light. This time her gaze lacked its lazy luster. They were sharp and pierced the void of the Far Shore, searching for any traces of her target. 

‘I hope they don’t think I was down with them.’ Aria didn’t know if it was because of her father or her mother, if it was because her blood was running cold or hot, but she knew that she wouldn’t be done with those men until she ripped apart their entire foundation. 

1