A Call to Action for Mom
774 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Maria wakes up the next morning, wrapped in her comforter, laying on top of the sheets. The memories of last night fill her senses, before jumping out of bed, Maria notices her arousal when running her fingers over her body. She walks over to Adam's room, finding the door open, and the room empty, she heads back to her room to get ready for work. As usual, Adam is in the kitchen by the time she gets out the shower and dressed.

"Hey, baby." They take one look at each other, smiling as they let the memory of the previous day linger in the air.

"Want me to make you breakfast?" He asks.

"No, thanks. I should get going to work. See you in a bit." She says, walking out the door.

Aware that she's avoiding Adam, Maria rushes down the stairs of the apartment complex, towards her car to make her way to work. Thoughts begin whirling through her head about how the previous night could have easily gone out of control. Despite sharing with her son a memorable experience, one filled with passion and eroticism, she finds herself thinking about the morality aspect of it. Wondering about how far they could go with their feelings, this idea causes her to freak out a little. She pulls onto the road, telling herself not to think about it anymore. Taking a deep breath, she puts this matter out of her mind, trying to focus on driving to work, but she cannot escape the nagging curiosity about the night before. Could things really have gone that far? Would Adam really follow through? Finding herself smiling, excited about last night more than she cares to admit, Maria touches her lips, recalling how good she felt as she kissed Adam's lips.

Incapable of ignoring the thoughts coursing through her mind for a second throughout her way to work, Maria finally makes it to the hospital. She grabs her purse off the passenger seat and steps out of her car, pushing aside those distracting thoughts as she walks through the parking lot, she tells herself that today is a new day. Near the entrance, she notices a man lurking nearby. Wearing dark sunglasses and a brown leather jacket. Maria believes to have recognized him from somewhere but can't exactly recall when or where. Dismissing her wariness for paranoia, she pushes open the entrance doors, and then exhales.

Greeted with smiles from the nurses and staff she passes by, her high heels knock on the tiled floor on her way to the elevator at the center of the building. As usual the calm atmosphere inside of the hospital makes it all the easier to feel confident, leaving her unable to notice the way people stare at her as if they know something they shouldn't. The elevator opens on the third floor, patients, nurses, doctors walk out, Maria exits last, walking over to the reception desk, she greets Sheryl.

"Hey, mamma." She greets back, focused on her work.

Maria looks down the long hallway to her right, where her office is located, then over to her left, where she spots Olivia walking from the bathroom to her own office. Wanting to follow up on their discussion from yesterday, Maria catches up to her.

"Olivia."

She had reached her just as she was entering her office. Olivia turns around, giving Maria a warm smile when she realizes it's her.

"Hey, Maria." Her voice is warm and welcoming.

"You think we could talk, again?" Maria asks, hesitantly.

Olivia's eyes move up and left, lost in memory, as the psychologist recalls the talk she had with Maria the previous day, they widen, as her smile broadens further.

"Oh, yeah, absolutely. Come in."

Maria walks into the minimalist office, taking a seat on the comfortable chair in front of Olivia's desk, she waits for her to take a seat as well.

"Well, how are things?" Asks Olivia, taking a seat.

Her heart beating fast, Maria takes in a deep breath. "I took your advice. I talked to Adam."

"Oh. How did it go?"

Maria lets out a nervous laugh. "I may have gone a bit too far in a few places."

"How so?"

Beads of sweat begin to appear all over Maria's body as she starts heating up. "Adam and I kissed, then I took my clothes off, and handed him my underwear to masturbate with."

Olivia is speechless for a moment. "Interesting."

"I wasn't expecting things to have gotten that far." States Maria. "I felt really empowered. He likes looking through my clothes, which is a turn on for him, but it might be less than desired for me."

"Can I ask what you mean by seeing through your clothes?"

Maria's eyes dart through the room, unsure of how much information about Adam's abilities she should reveal. "You know, see me naked. When I took them off last night, I mean."

Olivia pauses, but only briefly. "That actually doesn't seem such a bad thing, I'm glad you found comfort with that part. Knowing that you were free to explore your sexuality. Have boundaries been set, or does he have carte blanche?"

"No, he doesn't have carte blanche. We agreed to take things at my pace."

"At your pace." Olivia nods. "Are you willing to take things further with your son?"

Maria shifts in her seat. "I don't know that yet. For now, we are just enjoying ourselves. It's just him and I, no secrets. Even the way we hold our conversations, he can just ask me anything, tell me any detail, personal information, it's all very liberating."

"I'm noticing hints of rationalization." States Olivia. "Like you're determined to make this all make sense in some sort of way."

Maria bites her lip. "I'm just trying to take it slow, to let it unfold naturally, and especially to not rush things."

"Do you think you are going too fast?"

"I did probably go overboard yesterday, not in what I did," Maria blushes. "but that I got too ahead of myself."

"Sounds to me like boundaries should be set."

"Yeah." Maria smiles. "Setting boundaries sounds like the right move."

Olivia waits for Maria to continue when her office phone starts ringing. "Sorry, give me a sec."

"It's okay. We can talk later." Maria gets up from the comfortable chair, thanking Dr. Olivia again, and leaving the good doctor to tend to her business.

Making her way towards her office at the end of the hall, Maria decides to go down to the cafeteria to get something to eat.

"Hey, Sher. I'm going downstairs for breakfast, want to join?" She says, stopping in front of the reception desk.

"I'm good, baby. You go on ahead." Sheryl looks away from the screen to look at Maria. "Hey, remember that guy yesterday that was supposedly looking for his wife."

Maria nods, recalling an edgy man stumbling through his words.

"Another guy came by saying he was the husband of the lady in 317. I was like 'hang on, that other guy said the same thing.' so I asked to see his ID and lo and behold, it was legit. He's in there right now, actually."

"So who was that other guy?" Asks Maria.

"No clue, but if you see him again make sure to call security on him." Replies Sheryl, returning her attention back to the screen.

Something tingles in the back of Maria's mind, a connection of information that hasn't been fully formed is dismissed, her head already full of things to think about. She leaves Sheryl to do her work and walks into the woman's bathroom next to the elevator. She doesn't walk into any of the stalls, rather, after confirming she's in there alone, looks at herself in the mirror.

Her mind still stuck on the previous day's events, her memory replays the kiss they shared.

She poses in front of the mirror, she raises her right arm, running her hand through her hair, puffing it up, giving it volume as she sticks her left hip out to the side. The charcoal grey pants suit she wears highlights the curves of her body. She stares at her face in the mirror, raising her chin, stretching her neck, clenching her jaw, slightly opening her mouth, looking at herself up and down, perplexed that such a vibrant young man like Adam would take interest in an older woman such as herself.

The bathroom door opens as a nurse walks in, kindly greeting Maria before walking into one of the stalls. Maria takes one more look at herself in the mirror then exits the bathroom and takes the elevator down to the first floor.

Maria grabs something to eat at the cafeteria, as she makes her way to an open seat, she can tell without looking that the table with the three tech guys from anesthesia follow her with their gazes. Maria takes note of the attention then sits by the window overlooking the main entrance and parking lot. She wonders how Adam sees her through his eyes. Once again she is taken back to yesterday, staring at the setting sun on the shoreline at the beach. Maria remembers having looked over at him, a warm smile on his gentle face, the impressive bulge he had in his shorts.

Maria licks her spoon clean with intent when something turns her attention towards the parking lot. At that moment, the tingling in the back of her mind snaps into connection. The edgy man from yesterday is the same man that was acting strangely in the parking lot when she arrived. She watches him walk towards the main entrance, his steps far too heavy, something about him doesn't seem right. Maria notices that over his brown jacket is a black strap that hangs across his chest. Getting a better view of him as he gets closer to the entrance, she is finally able to make out what the man has strapped around his chest.

Maria gets up, "There's a man with a gun!" she yells.

5