Chapter 3 – Gathering Information
312 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The town was buzzing with sounds coming from the crowds. In the middle of the street, Astrea, wearing a cloak, was strolling around. Some people passing by wore leather and armor, and weapons such as sword, spears, and many more were on their backs or waist.

Her eyes couldn't help but wander around the area and looked the surroundings as it was her first time seeing them in person. The medieval kind of feels brings her new experience as she couldn't easily see these things back on Earth.

Because she was relatively new to the area, she didn't know where to go. She just followed the people walking in front of her. Yet why does it feel like she wasn't bothered?

Usually, when one was new in an unknown place, they would panic, or at least take time before they would get comfortable around the area, and yet Astrea was not bothered even a bit.

And I can't believe I became my character from the game. Sigh. I thought these things only happened in some novels and anime, though thanks to that, I became strong and able to survive in the forest.

In the early days, Astrea managed to survive the wolf monster. A status window suddenly appeared in front of her after waking up. Because of the name stated on it, she quickly recognized it as her character's name in a popular VRMMORPG that she was always playing.

Days have passed since then, and Astrea managed to familiarize herself with her skills and own body. Since then, dealing with monster roaming in the forest became easy for her as they didn't pose any more threat to her.

Some of the monsters she defeated were familiar during her encounter with the beast in the forest. Yes, just like the monsters from the game. She noticed they had the same characteristics, just like those from the game, which led her to question whether she was inside the game or just in a parallel world. 

After some time, she decided to leave the forest, and on her journey, she accidentally stumbled upon this town, which is why she was there. Judging from her skills from the game, she concluded that she was pretty strong in this world, though Astrea didn't know how strong she was or what is her limitation.

Since she died in her previous life because of an illness, she decided to live her life here without holding back, but still, Astrea couldn't help to feel regret as she couldn't see her friends and family anymore from her past life. It is the only regret Astrea left in her previous life.

Living here doesn't have much difference from how she lived her life in the past. Even back then, she always lived a carefree lifestyle.

Right now, while she had such thoughts, she didn't realize while walking that she was already in the front of a two-story building with a width that covered at least two places. Besides the door was a small wood with a sign of the two swords clashing together.

Because she couldn't read the letters that were below it, the only thing that she recognized was the sign as she guessed what it was. If you were familiar with the fantasy genre, there's no way you couldn't miss such a thing. Not only that, but Astrea also recognized the sign as she had seen it multiple times when she was in-game.

Some people wearing armor and weapons were coming out from that place. In contrast, others from the outside were going inside. Without a doubt, it was an adventurer guild.

A place where new adventures arise. A place where quests or missions are issued and adventures can accept and carry out. Even though Astrea always saw it when she was playing the game, this time, it was different as she was living inside it, not as a player.

Besides that, the adventurer's guild contains a lot of information which is perfect for her as she needs a lot of information about this world, whether it is a world related to the game she used to play or a different one.

Astrea started to walk towards the adventurer's guild while ensuring that her hood almost covered her head as she made sure that no one would notice her appearance. When she entered the town, she realized that there were no other races besides humans walking in the vicinity. 

She was used to seeing different races when she played the game. Not only in town but in every city, there are more demihumans than humans. Almost seventy percent of the players back then choose demihumans as their race. Astrea is no different from them as she chooses vampires as her race. It is because when you start playing the game, you will be offered to choose your race as you play the game. These races have their advantages and disadvantages in their stats and skills.

Not only that but there's also the enjoyment of playing different races as they gave new experiences and uncovering the traits of their races. Also, compared to humans, which are the default race and have balance attributes and stats, other races have much more to offer in being flexible in adjusting their own stats and offering more bonuses.

Astrea's race is considered a vampire, which doesn't have much difference between their appearance to a human. Aside from their pointed ears and the distinct color of their eyes, they are pretty much the same as humans in their appearance. And to make sure she wouldn't stand out differently, she covered her ears before going inside.

As she was walking, different emotions swirled inside her. Excitement, happiness, and a little bit of nervousness, she was feeling each of these as she tried to contain it before walking straight through inside.

She saw a relatively big reception room and chairs lined up for people waiting while taking some transactions. On the side, a board and papers are posted, probably the quests adventurers take.

Even though it was not grand and what exactly it looked like from what she knew, it was still a bit similar. The only thing that differs is the atmosphere that it gives. 

When Astrea went inside, some people started looking at her. It was not because she wore some disguise clothes almost to cover her appearance as these kinds of things were normal. It was their first time seeing a new face in this place, which gave others a curious look. It was the same for her if she was in their place, and so she didn't mind it and ignored it. 

Mmm. I get it. I get it. You're curious, right? Astrea nods as she understands it. Not only them, but she was also looking for something interesting.

Soon, their attention moved on to the other people who went inside the guild just after Astrea went by. And probably after that, their attention shifted to others. She walked to the board, which contained different types of quests. She sighed as her eyes made contact with the papers hanging on the board.

As expected, I can't read it. Well, time to become an adventurer first. After all, if I'm right, there are perks to becoming one.

Because she couldn't read the letters of this world, she couldn't get any information from this. And so, she decided to went to the receptionist.

Seeing Astrea as she walked toward the receptionist, the receptionist made a very slight bow as a sign of respect. "How may I help you?" The receptionist said politely.

"Um, I want to become an adventurer. Is it possible?" Astrea replied to her question.

Even though the receptionist couldn't clearly look at Astrea's face, she realized that the one in the cloak was a girl judging from her physique and voice. She can also see the long and lustrous hair from the cover.

People who go into the adventurer guild while trying to hide their identity were common. It was because some of them have different circumstances, such as people with great influence wanting to hire some adventurers or accept a request but not wanting to be known to others.

"It is possible. There are not many restrictions on becoming an adventurer. You only need to pay the registration fee, ten silver coins and have a mock battle with an examiner. The examiner will evaluate the participant during the fight. In the case that the participant didn't manage to win against the examiner, as long as they approve the participant's capability, they will consider the participant as passed. And if the one taking the exam didn't pass, there will be no refund." 

The receptionist said one by one, without neglecting a single instruction. The required fee and the mock battle were issued so that reckless people who want to join the adventurer's guild would be given a lesson on what awaits them in becoming an adventurer. After all, some people are dying every day in this kind of job.

"I would like to register." Because she didn't know if pulling a coin from the air would cause a misunderstanding, Astrea put her hand inside her cloak as a disguise, as if she were getting the coin from her pocket. She brought out a coin from the game she knew. "I don't know if this is enough?" Because she didn't know the currency they use in this world, the thing she gave to the receptionist was the coin she knew which came from the game.

While receiving the money, the receptionist was puzzled for a moment about what the girl meant. But when she saw the coin, the girl handed, she was confused. She didn't know what type of coin is it. Is it perhaps from a very far away land? The general currency used in almost all places is bronze, silver, gold, orichalcum coin. This was the first time she saw this kind of coin, and so the course of action she thought at that time was to ask for their superior. Maybe they knew what kind of coin that is.

"Um, if it is okay with you, may I borrow this coin for a bit and ask my superior about this first?"

"Hmm? I don't mind. Take your time." Astrea was a bit confused but let it go.

"T-then, please wait for a bit. You can sit in there first. I will be calling you after I come back." 

The receptionist walked away while Astrea decided to stay and stand as she mumbled to herself. "Did I, perhaps, trigger a flag? I don't mind if it is interesting!"

L5pLUe0.png

14