25. Toss of a coin
28 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

 

 

I. This is the direct sequel to Touch O' Luck

 Touch O' Luck

 

 

II) It serves as a prologue to the Old Realms series.

It will be a superior reading experience

to start this story from the beginning

 

Please give it a good rating if you liked it, it will help the story reach a much bigger audience:)

Chapter specific maps of the realms 

Maps of the Realms

 

 

 

 

Glen

Toss of a coin

 

 

Marquette’s bell kept ringing at monotonous intervals, as it entered the gulf, then crossed it sailing smoothly at two thirds speed and approached Altarinport, very early in the morning of the second month of autumn 188 NC, almost a month into their journey.

A day’s ride from the city of Altarin, the aptly named Altarinport was almost an extension of it. While nowhere near as secure as the much larger Rida’s port, it was the second most important port situated on the continent of Eplas facing the Shallow Sea, along with Ri Yue-Tu, though the latter was located much further up north and it wasn’t open for the whole season due to ice.

Build with a fusion of the stout Issirian stone masonry, the marble obsessed Lorian touch and the rounded limestone soft lines that was indicative of the later Khanate designs, the small town supporting the port was said to be a diminutive Altarin or Rida, cities that both sported the same characteristics and similar architecture.

At least six men-at-arms were waiting for them, the moment Glen jumped ashore. Plus a seventh, this one a sturdy mid-aged man of Lorian origins, a full set of black hair turned almost completely grey and cut short, clad in well-oiled mail and plate armor, with a Barbute helm kept in hand, a beautifully carved stallion decorating its top.

“Let me do the speakin’,” Emerson said, putting a hand on his shoulder to stop him. Glen nodded and moved aside making a show of it, the older warrior’s eyes staying on him for longer that he deemed necessary.

Glen assumed a stern, noble stance, much as he understood it, eyes ahead, chest out and arms pressed tight to the sides.

“Relax kid, just let them get it over with,” Jinx teased, just as Emerson started their introductions.

 


 

“Sir Arno,” Emerson explained, Solomon Arno already frowning secure in his certainty of not liking his answer in advance. “Young Glen, is my squire. Without wanting to insult Lord Reeves, or you, I want to ensure he reaches Altarin safe and under my care. Whether the Lord will wish him released from his pledge to me, it is something I will have to hear in person and consider. It was his father’s desire I believe, to take the oath and become a knight.”

Well, Glen thought, watching Sir Solomon Arno argue his case, in the normal and boring manner of the privileged. The whole knighting thing, is greatly exaggerated.

“I will accompany the young man, per my orders Sir Lennox,” Sir Solomon decided stiffly and Sir Emerson agreed with a polite grunt of his own.

“I shall not oppose, ye following us along Sir Arno.”

“Is that it?” Jinx asked scratching the area between her small nostrils carefully. “Can we visit the town now? I have to pee,” Seeing the shocked looks on their faces, she added. “What? Tis true!”

 

 

Glen waited for the last of the men to disembark, before pulling Captain Blackwood aside.

“What is it lad?” The mercenary asked, the back injury that had excused him from labor duties during most of their journey, miraculously not present anymore. “I have to visit the port Master.”

“About that,” Glen started, keeping an eye on the doings of Crafton and that little thief Liko. “I need the prisoners brought to Altarin.”

“You need… why is that?” Dante asked. “I can get the same price for their heads here.”

“We may go a different way,” Glen replied, keeping it as vague as possible.

“You wish them, tortured?” Dante probed raising his brows more humored, than disgusted.

“What… no. Of course not! I may ask for their release, actually,” He cleared his throat a couple of times, while a stunned Dante digested his words. “Make use of them, another way.”

“They’re pirates, you know… cutthroats?” The mercenary pointed, all civil.

“What about them?” Sir Emerson asked. He’d managed to sneak up on them, after ridding himself of the tedious Sir Solomon.

“The young lord, wishes the pirates released,” Dante said slowly, as if to point out the absurdity of his request.

Order, Glen thought.

My coin, my prisoners.

“We can’t decide that ourselves, Glen,” Sir Emerson said, with a frown. “I understand, you may want to be lenient on them—”

“I want them brought to Altarin,” Glen repeated.

“Listen young man, I was promised a good profit, if I kept them in line. I did,” Dante had made a great deal of effort to keep civil this time, the matter clearly bothering him a lot.

“How much per head?” Glen asked, becoming more and more acquainted, with how the grown-ups world worked.

“Half a silver,” Dante replied readily, all his discomfort melting away.

“Four silver Eagles, for all of them,” Glen said.

“Lad, what are ye doing?” Sir Emerson asked.

Dante jumped at the opportunity. “Yes, plus guarding duty—”

“I’m already paying you, for that,” Glen cut him off. “I’m keeping them alive, until Altarin,” He explained to the scowling knight.

 

 

“What if your grandfather refuses yer request? Ye haven’t yet secured, whether he’ll take you in the family, or not,” Sir Emerson kept pestering him all the way to the western town gates. They faced to the direction of Altarin, following the banks of Teid River. The big river had its sources at the distant Northwall Heights. The extended mountain range was a natural barrier between the Khanate’s Northern territories and the Duchy.

“It is just a request,” Glen insisted. “It’s not insulting, I think. We’re in a foreign land, are we not?”

“Ye are worried, they’ll try something else?”

Another attempt on his life, was his meaning.

“Are you not? Those ruffians back in Castalor. Somebody sent them,” Glen said and he watched Sir Emerson taking it in. Reaching to what he believed was the reason for his act of kindness.

“They asked for clemency. Promised ye loyalty. You mistake their words as sincere, lad. Ye don’t want them hanged because you’re merciful, I understand that. Shows yer character. But they are criminals, never to be trusted,” The knight went on, Glen not really listening. Hell, he was a criminal. Was he trustworthy? Glen believed he was. To himself, first and foremost.

He wanted more people on his side, in case things took a turn for the worse.

Sure, it didn’t seem likely now.

But Luthos had a nasty sense of humor.

 

 

“So we’re not going to Altarin?” Zola asked sounding troubled, the prospect of getting back on a ship, not pleasing. She’d unbuttoned the top of her tight leather shirt, showing a good amount of cleavage, which was very distracting to Glen.

That Issir woman is very easy on the eyes, he thought appreciatively, Jinx giving him a wink, catching his stare. Glen ignored her and returned his attention on the mercenaries’ animated discussion.

“What? Why not?” Soren protested, surprise all-over his flushed face.

Dante sighed, under the watchful eyes of Jinx, the pink haired girl strangely quiet during their exchange.

“The contract is up,” He explained to the rest of the Gallant Dogs gathered around him, the majority of their ‘travelling party’ already on their horses. That would be Sir Lennox and Sir Arno, the six men-at-arms, Crafton, with a grinning Liko sitting in front of him, the hooded Lith and even the still chained pirate prisoners. “The young lord is safe and on the way to meet his family. We can stay in Altarinport for a couple of days, take the next ship to Issir’s Eagle, and enjoy the Capital.”

“Not much here to do,” Soren complained. “And the Issirs hate us Northmen.”

“Pale, what do you think?” Dante asked. “Where do you stand?”

Mr. Victor Hook shrugged his shoulders, which could have gone either way, Glen thought.

“I’ll take it, as a yes to my proposal,” Dante readily clarified, what to the rest wasn’t as clear. “That’s two aye’s and two nay’s,” He stared at Jinx for the deciding vote. Pretty glanced at Glen watching them, mischievous smile on her mouth.

“Ye want us comin’ along, sweet cheeks?” She teased, giving him the dirtiest of gazes.

“We have a good thing going, but I ain’t paying ye no thirty gold for keeping me company,” He said blushing fiercely, but pushing through despite it. He wasn’t gonna let her manipulate him.

“How much, to keep ye company?” Jinx purred, like a cat in heat.

“A gold a day. For the whole crew.”

“Pfft, milord yer cheap,” Jinx blew a pink curl off her face. “I pass. Better flip a coin Captain.”

“Why chance it?” Zola complained, not wanting Luthos involved.

With good reason, Glen thought.

“Not liking this, Captain,” Pale said gravely, thinking along the same lines.

“Can’t we make her vote? Beat her up a little?” Soren asked, giving Jinx a glare. The Gish raised a thin middle finger in response.

“Oh, for fuck’s sake,” Dante gasped, getting a round silver Eagle out of a pocket. Glanced at it once and then tossed it high up in the air, the coin catching a sunray and shining like a small star, before he caught it deftly, with his right hand. “Heads we leave,” He announced all pompous, giving it the flair that he was most famous for. Then opened his palm, for them to see.

 

 

Luthos chuckled.

 

 

It was tails.

0