Chapter 4
153 3 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The world had changed for Elizabeth Graystorm. She was still her master’s servant and loyal companion, Elizabeth would sooner cut out her own heart than turn against her kind master. No, her body, skills, and identity were all the same, but there was a greater sense of freedom now that she hadn’t known before. This forest had awoken a new perspective inside of her mind. Elizabeth’s limitless love and affection for her master had always been inside of her, but this was the first time she ever realized the joy of expressing those emotions through words and actions.

 

I never talked to him before… Why did I never talk to him before now? Elizabeth wondered internally.

 

She flexed her hands. Fresh memories of how good they had felt grabbing onto her master’s body made her blush fiercely.

 

Why have we never hugged before? 

 

In the nine years they had been together, Elizabeth had never once requested a hug from her master. It had never felt weird before, but now the inaction on her part just felt silly.

 

No more. Elizabeth vowed. I’m going to work even harder to show my love to my master.

 

It pained Elizabeth to be separated from him, but master Rydel’s orders were absolute.

 

Besides... Elizabeth glanced at the five fellow companions trailing behind her. There are certain things that need to be discussed away from master’s view.

 

“Oi. Elizabeth.” The beastwoman Bella called up from the back. “Wouldn’t it be faster to split up? We could start running too. I know I could use a bit of a jog.”

 

“I-I agree with Bella.” The normally quiet and reserved Casey chimed in. “This seems like a slow way to accomplish master’s task.”

 

“There’s something that we need to talk about first.” Elizabeth’s voice was extremely serious as she turned to face the group.

 

They stopped and formed a loose semi circle facing the high elf. Elizabeth reached out her hand and summoned her favorite battle ax. The other five companions blinked at the unprovoked show of hostility, but none made a move toward any of their weaponry.

 

“Oh my. Did we do something wrong, Elizabeth?” Mary asked in an even and mature tone.

 

“You’ve all felt it since coming here, haven’t you? Following master’s orders has always been so easy before. I never had to think, only follow my instincts and the sound of his voice.” Elizabeth ran a hand over the blade of her ax lovingly. “Do you know he talks to me when we’re alone? Not commands during combat or instructions during a quest. A heart to heart. Just him and I.”

 

Elizabeth’s cheeks grew flush and she brought up her unarmed hand to her the side of her face.

 

“After all of the other masters left him. The times when he would leave all of you in town. He would bear his soul to me as we walked.” Tears formed in Elizabeth’s eyes as she spoke. “He was so lonely. He confessed that he felt betrayed, wronged by those he once considered friends.”

 

“I should have comforted him!” Elizabeth slammed her ax into the ground, creating a large crack in the earth from the force of the impact. “I know that now, don’t you see? Ever since coming here I’ve become so much more aware and capable of knowing what my master needs.”

 

She lowered her crystal blue eyes to the five companions in front of her. Her gaze was cold and calculating.

 

“I suspect we all have such thoughts. Am I wrong?”

 

The group looked around at one another.

 

“I do feel… different.” Jade confessed.

 

Bella scratched her head. “I guess I can understand what you mean.”

 

The others nodded.

 

“I still don’t see why you need to be so threatening.” Xaundra folded her green arms across her crop top.

 

“I need to know where your loyalties lie.” Elizabeth extracted her ax from the earth. “Master’s words are absolute. They always will be for me because he created me to be his companion. My loyalty is absolute and without question.”

 

She lifted the ax head and pointed it at each of them in turn.

 

“But you were all made by someone else. Traitors and scum that deserted my master. Rydel is kind, compassionate, and has an infinite capacity for mercy.” Elizabeth’s head tilted down and her eyes grew dark. “But I will carry his wrath for him and punish those who would betray him.”

 

Silence fell over the group. The forest itself seemed to be holding its breath as everyone waited for the next move to be made.

 

“You’re wrong Elizabeth.” Mary said with a gentle smile.

 

“About what?” The high elf narrowed her eyes at the air genasi.

 

Mary spun slowly in place, her flowing dress blowing out majestically. “Master Rydel did create me.”

 

Elizabeth took a step back like she had been struck. “What? I-impossible. I’m master’s creation! Each master only has one!”

 

“It’s true. While I was made by my own master’s hand, master Rydel helped choose my form.”

 

Elizabeth’s mouth fell open. “Is it true?”

 

“H-he did the same for me!” Casey added.

 

“And for me.” Bella thumped her chest.

 

“Why else would I be so perfect?” Xaundra tossed her green hair to the side.

 

Jade simply nodded when Elizabeth’s questioning gaze fell onto her.

 

“We may have failed out masters who never returned,” All five of the other girl’s looked down in shame, “but will not fail the one who unites us all.”

 

“We will follow master Rydel and respect your guidance, oldest sister.” The group dropped onto one knee and pledged as one.

 

Fresh tears filled Elizabeth’s eyes and she dismissed her ax with a flourish of her hand.

 

“Thank you. All of you. It feels so nice to know that master will not be alone any more.” Elizabeth straightened herself proudly and declared. “We will pledge ourselves to him anew once we accomplish his task.”

 

There was a chorus of cheers before the group split and sprinted away to scout the area surrounding their beloved master.

 

Thanks for reading. More to follow tomorrow.

2