Ch. 02 – Letter To a Stranger.
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The darkness in the sky showed me that I had to do something now, not stand still. I got up and went back inside the castle, most things had been burned by magic, which so far impresses me with so much power, who would use all that power against my family, and why?

The main hall had only traces of what had once been there, some bodies could be seen, of enemies as well as my allies.

Upstairs, my bedroom door was still there, open. Upon entering, it was possible to see the ashes that covered almost everything, but it was still possible to see, on top of the bed, the small dagger that my father had given me for my birthday. I picked it up and tucked it into my belt, which had a specially designed part for it.

I needed gold, I couldn't survive long without money, but I didn't know where to find it. A few coins I'd saved were in a drawer, but they weren't nearly enough. I headed towards my parents' room, staring at the walls and the blood that covered them. Upon arriving at my destination, it was possible to see the room completely messed up, someone had passed through there before me.

"I wonder if anyone is still in here?" I hadn't thought of that possibility. "I have to be more careful." I said to myself and went back to close the door.

Some of my father's weapons were propped against a corner of the wall, swords, daggers, and also some assassin's cloaks, which didn't fit me as my father was a much taller man than I was now.

On my back several drawers could be seen, and most of them were open. There was a bag on a small table in the corner, and inside it were several gold coins. This made me even more thoughtful.

"They found this gold and they still didn't take it? What's the point of what they did?" Things got weirder and weirder.

I decided to think about it later. I took the bag and went towards the short sword leaning against the wall, which I thought was useful to carry on an adventure. When I picked it up, I saw, next to it, several books, I already saw my father reading them, but what caught my attention was some letters next to them.

Several were about assassination and robbery missions sent out, but one in particular caught my eye.

"I believe that, unfortunately, I will have to refuse such a proposal. Don't get us wrong, much less imagine that we have something against you, we just don't want to get involved with such an issue. I hope you solve it in your own way."

  • Crow, 07/01 "

"Crow, that's how my father referred to himself to people outside the guild, he had already told me one day. The letter was going to be sent yet, the sender's name is not specified in the letter, nor the location."
Several things were going through my head, trying to figure out what mission that would be and who sent it. I had never seen my father turn down an offer before.
"One of the assassins is sent to deliver the letters himself, my father was always careful about that."
This was a big problem for me now, a name or a location would help me a lot. Without that, I didn't have much to do, but I kept the paper anyway. Shortsword in hand, I left the room.

No sound could be heard, just my own footsteps and the many crows that were around. They were always there, I don't know why, but they were always there, lurking.

'They would be able to tell me everything that happened, maybe.' That thought crossed my mind.

I walked around the castle some more and found nothing else, I would probably find more gold and equipment if I searched everywhere, but seeing the bodies of my dead companions on the ground was making me go crazy.

I had found my mother's body by going down the hall to her room. I took him outside, and back into the great hall, dragging my father's body to where my mother's lay. I started digging two graves with a shovel that I found leaning against the walls.

"It's the least I can do since I haven't done anything for you two."

A rain began to fall, hiding my tears.

"Are you saving me yet another embarrassment?" I said looking up.

After about an hour, the two were buried. I spent almost ten minutes looking at the graves, not saying a word.

0