59. Conspiracy!
2.1k 54 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

**Authors Note**
Regular posting will resume starting today. Sorry about the delay, I had an injury that made writing very difficult

****

“I look like an idiot,” I said to my reflection and the empty room.

My hair was in a complicated style the maid called an up-do. She had braided most of it into a long, thick braid, with two smaller braids using hair on both sides of my head. The long braid was wrapped into a bun that sat almost on top of my scalp. The two small braids were pulled back and stuck into the bun. It looked like I was wearing a hat.

Two more strands of hair were left to hang down my cheek. They'd been curled, so they bounced whenever I moved. I wanted to pull them out because they kept tickling my shoulders.

I was saving my phoenix dress for the big banquet the next day, and apparently I couldn't wear the dress I'd worn the other day, so I had yet another expensive dress on. This one was a pale green, that cupped my breasts, giving me far more cleavage than I was comfortable with, and left everything above the mounds of flesh completely bare. Pearls covered the fabric in a fan pattern starting on my chest and coming to a point at my waist, where they seemed to form a belt that hugged my curves. The skirt was long and airy, dark enough to hide my legs, but hinting at them when the light was just right.

I had a pearl and silver necklace hanging from my neck with matching earrings, which I was told were perfect for me. I'd had my makeup done as well. My cheeks shimmered in the light, making me think of pearls. My eyelashes were longer than usual, and my eyes and lips were a faint glittering green that matched my dress.

My nails weren't very long. The maid had wanted to make them two or three inches. I'd put my foot down on that, I wouldn't know how to use my fingers if they were that long. She'd finally agreed to only fix them up a little, and made them a light green with white tips. They looked like ten little waves, which seemed appropriate for my current style.

Slipping on the small heels, I managed to not break an ankle. I'd practised for hours walking and doing some simple dancing back at school. I wasn't about to try anything really high, and the stiletto's that Naomi liked seemed impossibly tall, but I could handle these.

With my heels clicking on the marble floor, I made my way downstairs.

The others were all waiting for me. The boys looked uncomfortable in their black suits and ties, pulling at the tight collars. Gods, how I envied them. The girls were in their new dresses, each one carefully chosen to fit their looks. They all looked lovely, but Ella was glorious in her colourful outfit.

Her hair was in cornrows, which I hadn't seen before. It was so different from her usual Afro, I had to do a double take. Her sleeveless dress was a pattern of squares filled with small blue, orange and red, triangles and rectangles. It covered her chest and shoulders. The skirt stopped at a point just at her knees in front, and went down to her ankles in back. It was the first time I'd seen the style and I really wish she wore it more often.

There was the usual gushing over clothes. I played along, just so I wouldn't seem out of place. Then we went outside where a golem-carriage was waiting for us. It was extra long to fit all of us. Ella and I sat side by side, while Ivy took the seat furthest back, and the couples sat together.

Ella told the golem where to go and we were off to the best restaurant in town. How the Stirling's had gotten a reservation on such short notice was the topic of discussion among the girls. I just sat staring out the window, wishing I was anywhere else. I was going to see Reginald again, and his parents. I'd lost my demon eye when I ran away, had he picked it up? Had he looked at it? Did he see how my stupid eyes had gone... down there?

If he had seen it, what was I going to do? Dying would be preferable.

Ella patted my hand, which I suddenly realized was shaking.

“Don't worry about anything, you'll be fine,” she quietly said.

“What if something goes wrong?” I asked.

“You're having dinner with two big name heroes, who regularly fight city destroying monsters and apocalyptic cults. They also owe you an apology for what Reginald did. As long as you don't do something completely stupid like insult them to their faces, they'll ignore any faux pas and help you out.”

“But-”

“Use your pretty face to your advantage. Just smile shyly, enjoy the food, give short, simple answers, and let me and the girls handle the conversation. Can you do that?” my friend asked.

Taking a deep breath, which made me worry that my top might fly off, I tried to calm down. “I think so.”

“All right. Just breathe and think calm thoughts.”

Nodding, I looked out the window letting the busy street take my mind off of my worries.

linebreak shadow

The Emerald Cavern Restaurant

The Dwarf who was currently going by the false name Emerald Merrydelver, walked into the kitchen to get a quick drink of ale. She was joined at the keg by her fellow revolutionary Steel Forgebane.

“The Stirling's are here. They're just waiting for their guests,” she said quietly.

“Excellent. I have everything ready for them,” he replied.

She saw his hand touch his gold bracelet, where a vial of poison was hidden. Nodding, she took a moment to straighten her vest and headed back into the busy restaurant. She couldn't fail now by looking suspicious. The death of Adelmar Stirling would be a tremendous blow to the Guild Master.

linebreak shadow

I'd never been in such a nice restaurant before.

Since it was a Dwarven building there were no windows. Instead the stone walls were covered in silver, gold and bronze, which formed interesting lines and whorls around emeralds, rubies and other crystals. The lights were carefully placed to reflect off the precious metals and gemstones, giving the room a dreamy and expensive look.

Everyone in the restaurant, even the servers, were wearing clothes that looked very expensive. My mom would love to work with these people. A single dress or suit would pay more than a whole month of work with her regular customers.

We were led upstairs into a private room. It was as richly decorated as the rest of the restaurant, but this one had a large window looking out over the ocean. The sun was just starting to set, and the normally green water was a rainbow of colours.

Mrs. Stirling, Reginald, and a man who looked like a larger and more mature version of my nemesis stood up to greet us.

“Hello everyone,” Mrs. Stirling said. “This is my husband, Adelmar Stirling, he's been very interested in meeting all of you.”

“Hello Mr. Stirling,” Ella said, and we all quickly copied her.

“Please, sit down,” Mr. Stirling said, grinning at us. “I know how uncomfortable fancy shoes can be. I much prefer my usual boots, but we must make sacrifices sometimes.”

We quickly found our seats. It was a relief to see Reginald was sitting beside his mother and Ella, while I was at the far end of the table. It was still a bit too close to him for my liking, but the only way to be farther away would require me leaving the room.

The server, a very pretty Dwarven lady with golden hair, came in with a tray of drinks for all of us.

“I hope you don't mind,” Mrs. Stirling said, “I ordered drinks for you. I went with what you drank the most of at dinner yesterday. But if you want another type, don't hesitate to ask, it's our treat.”

While everyone thanked her and said it was perfect, I followed Ella's advice. I smiled, nodded politely in thanks, and took a sip. The fruit juice, which I still couldn't place, was even better than the other day.

“Let's order, and then we can talk. Just make sure to save room for dessert, the courses here are bigger than you'll find at most non-Dwarven restaurants,” Mr. Stirling said.

Looking at the menu, I was completely lost. I'd never really eaten Dwarven food before, it wasn't common in my home city, so I didn't know what was good, or what something might taste like. Emerald chili salad, sounded interesting, but what was tentacle shark flambe? Or makara trunk soup? Dire rat roast with granite spice didn't really have actual granite did it?

As everyone else ordered, I got more and more anxious. Calci who was sitting beside Mr. Stirling, was giving suggestions to Honey Suckle. Ella ordered for Ivy, Clarice and Gold were giggling as they seemed to pick something at random, and Naomi already knew what she and Antoine were going to have. I was left all alone, staring wide eyed at the menu.

I didn't want to risk getting something I couldn't stomach. They probably already hated me because of what happened to Reginald and I earlier. If I ordered something really expensive and didn't eat it, what would they think? And EVERYTHING was expensive.

Looking up, I saw my nemesis smiling, actually smiling not leering or sneering. He looked really cute. My cheeks lit up as I realized what I'd just thought. My stomach went all tingly and warm as both he and Ella looked at me.

Everyone was looking at me. I was the last one. The server was smiling at me, holding her pad ready to write down my order.

Oh gods, what to do?

“You're not used Dwarven food, are you Petra?” Mr. Stirling asked.

All I could manage to get out was a quiet, “Yeah.”

“Well if you want a suggestion, the Ketea Indikoi Salad is fantastic. Not too spicy, very refreshing and good for people new to Dwarven seafood. I'm having it myself.”

“That sounds great. Thank you,” I said, my voice sounding a bit more confident.

For a second the server frowned, probably because I'd taken so long to order, she had to be busy. Fortunately it only lasted a second and she was completely professional again. Taking her leave, the conversation started up. While the Stirling's asked Ella and the others about their visit to the caverns, no one mentioned the disastrous trip along the waterfront. Slowly I started feeling better.

45