Chapter 3: First Battle
11 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And thus, Darius brings me to the official arena where dozens of Overseers gather. I barely reach the necessary stage for living beings, Active stage. I create my first microorganism and boy the existence power I received from it is so big. Rather than quantity, it feels like there is a certain thing from it that is special to an Overseer like me.

But of course, this is calculated only as a single unit. Compared to stars, the quantity of the existence energy the microorganism provide is too small it is naked humiliation. Fortunately, something else came from it that can change my existence power. I wonder what that is.

Enough with that thought because my opponent is also here.

 

"I am definitely a newbie Overseer. Just...I don't know if this spar will be...broadcasted?" I have some concerns so I ask Darius.

"Of course it is. Furthermore, this is the first battle of the new batch so expect the other newbie Overseer to watch you in the arena." Darius gives the answer with some additional information.

 

My spar will be witnessed by the others. Truthfully, I feel nervous like I experience extreme stage fright but at the same time, I also try with my mindset to treat this like my everyday activity. So what if others see me? I am just doing my daily routine, nothing wrong with that.

And with that, I can perceive what my opponent looks like. For supplemental information, the moment I become an Overseer is also the moment my physical body is reconstructed according to my greatest impression of 'myself'.

That meant the body I have now is the same one I remember having when I am alive in my previous life.

 

"Overseer Mirelin, I presume." I take the initiative to talk first. From the basic information I can get, she is one few of the Overseers with the highest speed at developing her world. What the heck, are you a speedrunner or something?

"Overseer Hiroshi, it is a pleasure to meet you. If it were any other person, I had not been sure how to face them."

 

What does that mean? Double speech? Telling someone and making them assume the superficial meaning while ridiculing them with a certain locution? I mean, come on! I dislike this kind of word games and terminology usage the most.

 

"Let's just start this. At least I can go back to my world to tend it." my response to her can only be this. I am not witty with words and despite her beautiful appearance, honestly, I am not attracted to her at all. Strange isn't it?

I look at the place where some of the spectators should be and can roughly guess their reaction. Some of them already giving their heartfelt support for Mirelin. The rest? They either ridicule me, indifferent, or watch attentively for the sake of their future match.

"Sure. I can get a bit of an advantage right? Since-" Mirelin's voice transmitted to me but my existence power blared at me, giving a threat alarm. With that I rouse my existence power and circulate it, forming a simple but workable perpetual motion inside my 'self'.

And then a simple palm attack comes from the lower right of my sight, which is not easy to react and with limited existence power, I have limitations in my reaction. But my right leg already raises up with the intention to break her stance or at least disrupt her flow but surprise comes from this Overseer one after another.

 

Mirelin narrowly dodges my kick but that changes her trajectory. I follow up by switching the function of my leg to become my hand and vice-versa, doing a handstand stance. She and I both know that our attack is going to land, my left leg comes after she dodges my first kick and she continues her assault with her right fist.

When we make physical contact...the existence power of the two universes collide and I feel for the first time that the quality of my power is a notch better than her. Curious...

 

"What!?" Mirelin is shocked for some reason but regain her composure. Too bad a flaw is never going to be left with me in sight, at least the flaw that comes either from carelessness or external factor. I make the existence power revolve around my limbs, legs and arms. I don't have much personal experience in a battle so only brute force and barbaric attack possible is my current style.

Pummeling my fists to her unguarded side, my arms filled with existence power collide with the body of the new Overseer. Then...I also feel extreme pain. It comes from her palm that is radiated with existence power.

She is weaker in the 'quality' of her existence power but have no issue in 'quantity'. The reverse is true for me.

In the end, we pretty much end up in a mutully assured destruction. I hit her weak spot again, and again with my arms or legs. The most painful thing for me to see is that Mirelin is also learning from my natural battle style and apply it to our battle.

As I say, is she a speedrunner? And a gifted, talented one at that? I know that equality is bullshit from my 'previous life' memory but experiencing it with your own eyes and senses, it is unpleasant.

 

And her palm attack is imbued with something similar to internal destruction. Something leaks out from my lips, it is the compressed form of existence power. Interestingly enough, it looks like red blood. My chest is in excrutiating pain but that will not stop me. I also let out a roar, clench my fists together and put everything I have to do one final attack.

It can't be helped. Our existence power reserves are really limited so a quick and decisive spar is a good start. My eyes accidentally meet with Mirelin and we can see each other's intention. She then did something with her arms. Her arms are moving, no...flowing?

When my strike is about to land, I can see that the momentum and some of the existence power I let out in my attack is dispersed, not completely but almost half of it. Ah...fighting hardness with softness. Mirelin, this Overseer that I barely know is indeed a talent. With that, the victory probability I have in mind is thrown out of window. My strike will still land and Mirelin even redirect some of it back to me.

*Bang*

I feel my body is flying away to the edge of the arena. I don't know about Mirelin but my injury is serious. Chest injury, messy existence power circulation, unstable application. There are dozens of flaws I can perceive in regards of my understanding and usage of existence power and I WILL FIX IT when I return! Damn it, this is so pathetic of me.

 

[Overseer Mirelin is declared the winner]

 

The moment that announcement come to being, something snap inside me and I faint.

 

-

 

"He is insane! How come his existence energy is much more higher in 'quality' than mine!?" Mirelin shouts in astonishment. She realizes that her victory is due to her large quantity of existence power stabilizing her body. Otherwise, she will lose miserably.

"As the angel in charge of him, I can provide the answer to you." Darius comes to the arena after Mirelin is declared the winner along with her angel. Darius says to her, "It is because of understanding. He has a deeper understanding of his world and everything in it. That is the fastest method to increase the quality of your existence power other than the creation of active living being in your world.

"I...understand." Mirelin widens her eyes, she understands the direction for proper growth. In the early stages, large quantity of existence energy is beneficial and advantageous but in the mid and late stage, the quality matters more.

"Ugh..." and then Hiroshi grunts as he slowly raises himself up. He can only says, "I lost this spar, huh."

 

"No, I only win in technicality. I am sure-" Mirelin replies but Hiroshi interrupts her quickly with a reply, "A loss is a loss. But still, congratulations on your first victory."

Hiroshi does not give her any more time to react as he reaches his hands to hold her in a friendly manner. Darius has a happy expression reflecting through his eyes despite being looked down on by his coworker that serves Mirelin.

And then a rhythmic applause echoes throughout the arena. Some of the Overseers give their appreciation despite the short match. It gives them a bit of inspiration and the comments by Darius help them in knowing the importance of understanding their own world.

 

-

 

"Okay then. If I hear you correctly, Darius then I have to help three other Overseers as my penalty for losing the first match. Is this correct?" Hiroshi double-check his assigned task carefully. Darius nods in agreement.

"The help is in assistance and support. Just don't intervene with their main objective as an Overseer. Good, I am ready. Let's get this small punishment done and go back to my little world." Hiroshi wants to get the job done quickly, basic introduction and establishing the connection between him and the other Overseer. It is important, especially for a new Overseer like him. At least, Mirelin is now his acquaintance.

"By the way, who is our first person in distress?" Hiroshi asks casually.

"You can see the general information that enters your cognition. You can see it now, right? I will explain things as we go there." Darius speaks before a long exposition accompanying Hiroshi.

 

In summary, the first Overseer Hiroshi has to help is also the same status as he is. Newbie Overseer in the same batch, Xiao Ruoruo. She lacks some important aspects that affect her growth as an Overseer. Therefore, Hiroshi has to assist her in the aspects that she lacks.

 

"Fine. I have some fundamental methodology to this but I need to meet her face to face to adjust how her cognition works, after all." Hiroshi can only say this after seeing the general information Darius provides.

Soon, Hiroshi can recognize the power being used by Darius.

'This is spatial manipulation. And so skillful at that!' as he thinks, he starts to get the essence of this movement in space created by Darius. The curvature, the weave, everything Hiroshi needs to know. But after some time, Hiroshi ceases his action because they have arrived.

"We are at another Overseer world. You can do what your thought want to do, Master Hiroshi." Darius gives his consent and Hiroshi can only nod in response. From the looks Hiroshi receive, they are in another God's Sanctuary as a Divine Throne can be perceived.

 

Of course, Hiroshi already spread his senses. For sure, the 'law' in this world is different. Even the world starts to reject his entire existence if not for the fact that the Overseer of this world starts to adjust things.

Hiroshi can see her. The figure who is sitting on the Divine Throne is manipulating the laws of the world, giving him permission to stay. He also knows that the expulsion of his entire existence is the automatic reaction of the world of other Overseers.

 

"Eh? Is this my support Overseer?" a figure on the Divine Throne asks her accompanying angel and her attention then focuses solely on Hiroshi.

"It is a pleasure to meet you. For now, let's cut to the case so that we can get this trouble out of our mind." Hiroshi replies in a straightforward manner.

"..." for some reason, the figure goes silent. Hiroshi cannot speak further since he wants to gauge the others' general reaction but it all goes back to him to proceed further. Darius then shifts his attention between the two Overseers and his wing of rainbow light flickers slightly.

 

-

 

You know what? This is strange. I mean, I am supposed to be an assistant. But now, I feel like I am the one in charge of explaining things to others.

"Miss Xiao, one of the most fundamentals aspect of spatial understanding is about the effect any existence in the world creates the curvature in space by their mass. This is one of the reasons why there is a saying, you know so many things but that doesn't mean you understand them the same." I explain my understanding while interjecting a bit of my opinion.

"..." Xiao Ruoruo just nods her head and her eyes are somehow glowing a bit. This young lady in appearance is attentive to whatever I say and is this just my feeling or her understanding is growing along with my explanation? Her blue eyes are locking in my entire being and her straight blue hairs are somehow flowing as I feel the flow of her existence energy increasing. I sigh at the sight but I have to ground the understanding first.

 

"Let's continue. Darius, help me with the next explanation." I ask Darius as the next topic is about the living being of the world. Darius is in charge of transmitting my current understanding of the topic to the angel in charge of Xiao Ruoruo.

"So far as I currently know, I see that living beings are divided into three main classifications. They are Passive, Vegetative, and Active. Do you know what the difference is?" I throw her a question to rouse her thinking process as well as her outlook and possibly some of her 'worldview' by doing this.

"I...think I know what Vegetative and Active stages are but Passive...is something I don't even understand." Xiao Ruoruo thinks for a while before saying this. As she thinks, her angel is connecting something to her. I feel like that is how the knowledge transfer works, at least one of the methods.

"Fair enough. I barely understand them as such and I have a bold idea about Passive living beings but to sum things up, Passive living beings are actually what 'humans' consider as matter itself. Or at least something that cannot be completely perceived by the senses of Active living beings." I let out an awkward smile. I am still not sure about this topic yet...

 

"That's strange...then are the Active living beings change their condition when they die?" suddenly Xiao Ruoruo asks and her face looks at me waiting for an answer. Her gaze is full of curiosity.

"That is..." I am stumped directly. Damn it! That is exactly my current research topic. But as a helper, I need to do my best to give a reasonable answer, either that or honestly confess that I don't know.

What choices do I have now?

"Perhaps every world can establish their own definition of the Afterlife in their world to their population. Is that true though?" I can only ask for some confirmation through Darius and the other angels.

And I notice the girl also following my gaze. Darius then replies in affirmation, "That is the gist of it. Some worlds under the Overseer set the Afterlife model with one ruler in charge of this aspect. There are others who create a singular place of reward and punishment because of one's actions during their life. But I have to say to you two that you can set this aspect however you like."

 

I am now in deep thinking. What should I make the Afterlife model of my world look like? But this question is something for later. For now...

 

"Thank you for confirmation. Looks like we need to discuss this further. How about this archetype, Ruoruo?...Hmm, is this way of calling bothering you?" I feel like my attitude toward this particular Overseer is truly friendly. I wonder why.

"Ah...no. Please just make yourself comfortable." Xiao Ruoruo replies with a slight smile and I can only continue the explanation, suggestion, opinion, and vision for my world's Afterlife model.

 

-

 

While the two new Overseer exchanges their thoughts, Darius also communicates with the angel that accompanies the Overseer.

"Your Overseer's potential is good. From his first battle, his understanding of his world is really deep for someone new to this."

"True. But he never sees himself as someone great. If anything, he only sees himself as someone who seeks guidance persistently. I am just concerned about one thing. Master Hiroshi is someone I have to retrieve from Borderland but why though?"

"Hmm...to think that the angel with the most potential in eons has high regard for the Overseer you are responsible for. Do you know that his battle is spread among the Skynet even as we speak? Even my Overseer watches it as she listens in to your Overseer."

"I can perceive that. She is only slightly behind Master Hiroshi in terms of potential and...do you perceive the 'connection' they have?"

"Connection? Oh, so that is one of the reasons for their reaction. Is this good or bad?"

"Most of the thing we are assigned to is proportioned and arranged already. I believe that this is one such case."

Both Darius and the other angels then go silent as they watch Hiroshi and Xiao Ruoruo in a fervent discussion. They can perceive the bond between the two and it is actually the connection they have in their previous life. From the indication of the bond, both angels realize that the two are actually really close.

As for Darius, he starts to see fragments of the past and he starts to understand Hiroshi much better than before. Some of his thoughts, his drive, his worldview...he does not know whether to admire, pity, or scorn him. In short, it is how an existence called Hiroshi in his previous life live, grow and die.

 

Hmm...I still lacking in some areas so I will try to expand the world as the story goes.

 

0