Chapter 7: Shadow of Threat
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Done with the matter in my world, I return to my God's Sanctuary. I am going to prepare and reflect on what I have done and what to do in the future.

The world's core, in the form of a book, is glowing with soft and gentle light. I am reviewing the information in it as I have to face future threats from this point onward. From the memories carried by the world's core, there are a lot of problems among the Overseers. That is an internal problem.

And there is also Outer Demon as the external problem. But what concerns me the most is that these two problems are the most superficial problem anyone can see and perceive. There will be many hidden problems that I don't know as of yet but how am I supposed to know about them?

"Other than developing my world, I have to...gather my own forces. Wait, is this necessary?" I have an inner monologue as my mind struggle against each and forth when new ideas come to light.

"But I cannot face the problem alone. There is also a trust issue to consider. As of now, I have few people I can trust and I cannot just drag them to my side either. The most I can do at this time is cooperation."

"Later I will discuss this with them. Whether they want or not, I will not force them. In the end, I am someone who preserves free will." I sigh at my conclusion. My friend list is only filled with three names but I am content with that. Then I see something interesting in Skynet.

[Introduction to features in Skynet! By: Biorg]

[For the new batch of Overseers, I am your senior in this position and the one who is tasked with creating the guide for the new batch. The reason why the new posts have to be made is that every period, there will be some changes and the previous guide can be considered obsolete.

First and foremost, your batch is considered the unlucky batch by us seniors because the Outer Demons make several major movements and ploys even at the moment this post is made. Therefore, my sincere advice is for you to inquire about a bit of information with your accompanied angels regarding the topics of Outer Demon.

Second is that we truly cannot guarantee absolute safety to you even if the Halls of Heaven send support to all the world the Overseers are responsible for. This is caused by the increasing tension Outer Demons has given to the high-rank Overseers, causing the probability of some slipping past our net to dramatically increase.

In response to that, Halls of Heaven as the administrator of Skynet announce that the trading system is opened for the new batch of Overseers. There is also a new feature called 'Support'. This feature is the one where you can directly give your assistance to the Overseers on your friend list and is different from the penalty ones where you are obligated to help other Overseers.

Comments: 1.2 T]

I see the new announcement and post about this important matter. Now, this is something I have to pay attention to. Some features are added and a support system is also available. This is to better prepare the new batch for the new threat that is going to aim straight at them...at us.

"Huh, strange. Is this good...or bad?" I have a strange feeling that this is not that simple.

But first, let's check the comments from other Overseers to gauge the reaction. But I have a hunch that the comments will be just banter between multiple people.

As if to prove my thought, the moment I open the comment section with my thought is the moment the comments flood my sight.

Worse, I have to filter out lots of the comments as most of them are just reactions. Of course, they can be important but not the priority I am looking for. I have to look at the comments that can be used as references.

[Joyboy: What I can say to my fellow Overseers is not to take things for granted. There is a reason for something and you have to think about it.]

This one comment is a good example so I separate it and just register it as a reference response. Then I seek another comment and a comment from someone sticking out from the rest.

[Mirelin: Considering the situation around the announcement, this is probably to let us new Overseers grow faster. So everyone should be alert for unexpected circumstances and become stronger as fast as possible.]

How should I say it? Growing faster and showing quick results is good in the short term, yes. But what about the future? Long-term planning is what the new Overseer has to take into account here. Or is she scheming something else?

Even though we are just acquaintances, I am sure she is not that oblivious to the predicament we are currently in. Of course, my discernment of her is not accurate but I know from the way we exchange our moves what kind of drive she has.

And then a direct message is sent to me. Interesting to me because of the sender...

[Mirelin: How are you doing, Overseer Hiroshi? When I sense that you are connected to Skynet, I know that you are also reading the comments section. But from the looks of it, you won't leave your comment there. This is just between you and me but I feel like someone or a group of people is suspicious and they are among us.]

With that, I am sending the reply quickly.

[Hiroshi: Exactly my thought. In the end, we need to discern people we can trust. So what is the matter for you to send me a direct message?]

Of course, I send this message to her as a response. But you need to take into account...that Skynet itself is managed by the staff from the Halls of Heaven. It meant even our communication can be monitored so I should only send something only related to the issue that is given to me by the higher-ups, in this case probably the Head of Angel.

I am only planning for the worse in the case that someone in charge of monitoring the Skynet is in cahoot with 'traitors'.

[Mirelin: Just for greeting? Why not?]

Now I really don't know whether she is serious about the message or it is a kind of hidden message within. But the message I want to convey is only to let everyone who sees this our thought. I believe that our thoughts are not the only ones among countless new Overseers, there are others with the same idea so we are still safe.

[Hiroshi: It is better for someone like you to gather people you can trust and form an organization. Hmm...just like what we will call in the future, Pantheon.]

Speaking of Pantheon. In a profession like mine, Pantheon refers to an organization, a guild so to speak for Overseer. There are a lot of it in my memories, especially since ninety-nine of my predecessor also either create or join Pantheon.

[Mirelin: Well, let us see whether I can create a Pantheon or not.]

And after that, she does not send me any more direct messages. Of course, I am starting to understand why her messages are like this. She also notices that her communication with me can be used as a piece of intelligence so she is being careful with anything she sends to me.

"This is what happens when someone has a monopoly on something. I can only be careful when using the messaging feature in Skynet."

I swept my head with my right hand. Even though it looks like the new Overseers are given a starter pack but our position is the weakest in the grand scheme of things. A balance between growth and sturdy foundation...

 

-

 

Mirelin in her God's Sanctuary is standing straight. After her message to Hiroshi has been sent, she crosses her hand in front of her as she thinks of something important.

"He also notices. But I don't think I can find people I can trust. Does he find such people already?" Mirelin murmurs softly as she bit her lips in frustration. She has a strange feeling on the verge of belief even that Hiroshi has found such people and has the intention to form a Pantheon with them.

"But his progress is slower than the average of our batch now that I see his basic information. Most of the new Overseers are already in the middle stage of the life expansion stage. I can even see an Overseer that has reached the Primeval Being stage. He is still chasing after the quality of his existence power..."

 

She cannot understand completely why Hiroshi is still going after quality when the situation push everyone to improve quickly. 

 

"Quality....no, it is not that simple. Overseer and the world's core are connected, the understanding of the world increase the quality and the essence of the existence power.  The world itself and the things within is the factor that contribute to the quantity of existence power. 

"Unless, he improves every single thing in his world, elevating their average prowess in all aspects. "

 

To this thought, Mirelin can only specualte. Even if she is correct, it just means that Hiroshi has a fortune to have the capability to pull that off in the first place. 

Whatever it is, Mirelin has to become stronger in order to cope with the looming threat ahead. 

 

"What else can increase my existence power in a short time? Can I...

 

-

 

"...help my World inhabitants to increase their knowledge of their own world?" I am considering the source of my existence power, the quality, and the growth rate. 

There are several issues with this and I will only elaborate on the most important ones. 

 

First, gaining something so much without extreme effort will make the creatures of my World too dependent on me. I am not saying that none of them is at fault but at least some of them have to explore things on their own and build an understanding that befits their own worldview. 

 

Second, too big of a difference in their capability. I am still holding my own decision about this but basically, one or several races will gain a massive advantage over others and kickstart the conquest era. If it happens under control then it will promote growth and ensure survival. Well, I know that large-scale conflict will happen but it has to be timed well. 

Just like a saying I have heard, there is always a time, place, and occasion for everything. 

That can only happen under certain circumstances and I can only allow such things when the perfect opportunity comes. 

 

Third, there will be a time when the Vegetative and Active living beings in my World will perceive me if I am going to go with the plan. 

They can become stronger than the creatures of other Overseers in the same ranks and same power level but it means they are getting closer to the source, enabling them to sense the world's core and me their Overseer in their life before their death and their consciousness going to the Immaterial plane. 

There are troubles with that premise alone but it is a risk I have to take. I feel like I am living on borrowed time and even that is almost up. 

"Even if I help them. Where should I start? The very first is obviously about Origin Energy sensing, gathering, manipulating, and cultivating it. Then comes the knowledge to the other doorway of other things such as technology, culture, ideology, etc.

"And I have to keep watching over the progress. This is different from the game I remember in my previous life but something universal should be at work here."

Like basic necessities, resources like Origin Energy and its branch of byproducts, safety, and time so that they can develop and grow. Then I cannot just bombard them with what they consider advanced knowledge too soon. It will be detrimental as even someone like myself needs to be fed one spoon at a time let alone others.

Therefore, I have to watch my world and the things in it with care. And the very first designee is the individual of the Preaorc, the one who receives my direct communication. From now on, he will be the very first sentient being that I am focusing my attention on the most.

Then with the world's core in my right hand, I am connecting with it and spreading my sense all over my world, my universe. The fragments of my will inside all things are acting like a relay point and I can get precise information about them in an instant. That includes the Preaorc I am targeting.

 

-

 

Hanuman is the everyday Preaorc among his Blackmud tribe. He usually goes hunting and foraging with his fellow tribe members to gather basic necessities like food and materials for their shelters. Every time he sees his own appearance in the water and then compares it to his tribes' members, he finds there are some similarities as well as something quite...different?

He has a long fang protruding from his lower jaw, and his eyebrows are thick but also suitable to his eyes whenever he closes his eyes, no amount of dust will be able to irritate his eyes. It is because his eyebrows are located right above his eyes and he has no eyelashes whatsoever.

But that is also the facial appearance of his fellow tribe members. Then he notices some differences between him and his hunting team then his logistics and support.

For he and his hunting team, they are leaner in their skeletal form but their muscles are firm with two limbs above the waist and another two limbs below. Sometimes the two limbs above can help him with his mobility but that is done with his other two limbs below. The logistics and support have a larger build than them but their vitality is the highest.

Yesterday is bad and strange for him. There is someone who communicates with him in his sleep and he does not know the source. That makes him scared to the extent that he cannot speak about it to his fellow tribe members. Besides, he barely finds good use for the thing that the tree around has.

"With this thing, I am sure the hunt will become easier," Hanuman speaks in his own language and he is sure that most beings cannot even understand what he wants to convey. Only his own race and tribe can understand this language and locution after all. As he says that, his grip on the thing in his right arm tightens.

 

What Hanuman discovered yesterday is the branch of the tree with Origin Energy inside it but he does not know what that is yet. Whenever he holds it, his physical prowess increases by half? That is his rough estimation but he got lucky because the branch fell off naturally after he pulls it off which he knows usually doesn't come off easily and he was just in the right place at the right time to pick that up.

Hanuman also feels this tingling sensation every time he grabs the branch. He can feel that something about him is changing but he does not know how or why. The only thing he can perceive is that the change in his body is good as long as it can help his Blackmud tribe to flourish.

 

"Let's see what we can get this day. I hope it is the trunk-horned runner." Hanuman cannot forget the delicious taste of that animal. Its soft flesh as he chew on it and when he secretly mixed his own herbs that enhance its taste, the tongue of his never taste the great combination of his own food like that before that.

The problem is, that is his own opinion. His tribe members do not do that as they eat the game raw without any 'additional herbs' like him whatsoever. Even in his own tribe, he is someone who others considered eccentric.

Hanuman then goes to the usual place for gathering. The Preaorc race is the social type so he has to go to the gathering places where his hunting team go every single day.

"Hanuman is here! That eccentric is taking longer than usual."

"What is his limb holding? That's just part of the tree, isn't it? What use will it be on the hunt?"

"You are the last one to arrive. Be quick!"

Murmurs and whispers among his hunting team are one of the common occurrences Hanuman has to face every day so he is used to it.

"Sorry I am late. We can go now. Where are we going this time, leader?" Hanuman waves his left limb as the five small parts of his limb spread wide. His eyes then look at the leader of the hunting team that has scars on his entire body and is the most experienced hunter on the team.

"We are just going on the usual route. Patrolling, scouting, and strolling. Our target is the daily necessities as well as the game. Let's go!" the leader has spoken up and the rest of the team let out an encouraging roar. After that, they are going on their usual formations and spread around. The formation consists of at least three Preaorc and each team go to different places.

As for Hanuman and his formation, they are going to the Yellow Gorges. He and his tribe members know this place quite well. This is where they can get the shielding leaf as well as the eggs of the flying ones. As for why they are going to this place, it is because this place is the easiest to get something.

 

"We can get the shielding leaves but I am not sure about the eggs of the flying ones. Do you forget what the leader once said in his stories? There are times when the flying ones become so aggressive, they attack the living ones that move near their nest. I mean, we can get their eggs every day but why are they aggressive only at those particular times?" Hanuman likes to think about something like this, which his tribe members find strange.

"So what? As long as they are not aggressive, it is enough. Doing something as you do is not helping us much." replies one of the members.

Hanuman sighs hard. They can gain a slight advantage if they know the things they usually faced every day and Hanuman finds out that there are many things he does not know more than what he already knew. His tribe members' problems are not wanting to actively seek new information and only following what their seniors and predecessors have told them.

 

 

0