Chapter 4: Stormbringer
263 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sound of birdsong and lots of chatter flowed through the open window I had forgotten to close last night, stirring I run my arm through my hair, wincing at how cold the metal is. I sit up and begin to get dressed, taking off the pajamas and pulling on some simple white cotton panties. Then comes the bra, after a short arm wrestling match with the straps I finally get it on. Its certainly tight around my breasts and doesn’t seem to fit all that well.

“Miura must be smaller than I am huh” Out of the corner of my eye I see my digital clock reads half past 10. Pulling on the blouse, which was also a very neat light purple. Remembering that my computer is in the other room; I reach out for it using my power and manage to turn it on.
“I seem to be getting the hang of this” as I bring myself slowly back to where I am. I do a little fist bump for the success. The last main article of clothing once I’d got my slightly oversized socks on was a pair of skinny jeans. I pull them up over my thighs, wondering at the new shape of my body and then I’m dressed. I move over to the bathroom to take a look at myself.
“Wow” The vision in the mirror is to me the epitome of cuteness. I blush, admiring myself in the mirror. Is it too narcissistic to say that about myself? I wonder to no-one in particular. I adjust a bra strap I could see poking out from underneath the collar of the blouse. I’m reminded of the girls I used to admire and hang out with back in school. Then the memories all came flooding back.
I had always hung out with girls when I was in school, a lot of the guys I just didn’t jell with too well. They spent all their time taking the piss out of each other and playing mean jokes. The girls were nice to me and I hoped I could fit in. It certainly didn’t do me many good favours with most of the other guys in the school though.

***

“So Cyrus, done hanging out with the girls for once?” taunted one of the braindead morons who spent way too much time butting heads with the other guys to do his education any good.
“I’ve heard that if ya spend too much time hanging out with girls ya might become one yourself” one of his equally unintelligent mates chipped in. I hated PE (Physical Education) and especially the changing rooms before and after, they stunk of a underlying horrific teenage body odour, and on top of that the disgusting scent of whatever deodorant is trending amongst them this week.

“Very funny guys, leave it will you? We’ve got exams coming up and I’ve got more important things to think about rather than your incessant quips and demeaning jokes” I respond without thinking. A few of them laugh which led me to think they might have found that funny and would shut up, but as I take off my school shirt all of a sudden I’m yanked backwards towards the shower. One of them has their tie wrapped around my neck and I see another in the shower ready to soak me, I can hardly breathe….

***

I shudder when I think of my time at school. I’m half glad I’m out of education, although I do miss the lunchtimes I spent away from all the bullies and their disgusting attitudes. Brushing a stray bit of white hair out of my face I turn out and walk over to the computer I started up whilst drying myself out. I have a half hour still so I figure I’d check what has happened in the night. All the YouTubers I follow have basically new videos out, some seem to still be pretty normal. I click on More than Computer Mouse’s channel to see what's up with her, she never showed her face so maybe something happened with her if she’s uploaded a video about this whole storm-emergence thing.

“Fate has got a twisted sense of irony huh? It sure does Bridget, it sure does” reaching up and poking the antennae on my head that seem to be the outlet for my ability. “Well at least I’m glad I’m not the only one who seems to be pleased with their new body, although it seems like not everyone is” I just clicked over to my twitter feed and winced at some of the posts of things that has happened. Geez, that Penrith city in the US has gone all Purge on itself. After a short while scrolling through my YouTube and Twitter feeds I begin to type out a post on twitter.

AnRX7Driver @RotaryCy A few seconds ago: Uh Hi people. I’m certainly changed and stuff. That storm did a number on me. I’m okay though. Feeling more sure of myself every moment #Emerged?’

That was it, I didn’t feel like typing more. Cringed a little at the hashtag but posted it anyway. Then I got a knock at the door.

Moving swiftly to the door I poke open the mail opening to see who is outside, making a phew noise I open it up to Miura, who immediately throws a sunhat in my face.

“Quick put this on and grab one of your coats” Miura quickly blurts eyes darting about nervously. This worries me so I do as she says.

“What's going on? Is someone following you?” I quickly duck my head outside and look around, doesn’t appear to be anybody out of the normal.

“Theres a load of army men about, some were asking about a white sportscar. I told them I saw one last night speeding right through the town to down south. That was obviously a lie, they were also after people like you who changed last night, make sure your arm is hidden”

“Oh crap thats really bad. Do you have your Fiesta?” I look up, thankful with the fact that it was a sunny day today. I can formulate an excuse for the sunhat then.

“Yeah its just out the side, lets go” She grabs my hand and almost yanks me outside onto the balcony walkway. I lock the door quickly and put my visible metal hand into my pocket. Quietly I follow her down to the archway under which her car was parked, it was a brand new blue Fiesta ST and it already had some modifications.

“Girl you’ve always had good taste in cars” I look admirably at the small sapphire hatchback.

“Well girl you happen to have good taste yourself” The extra emphasis on the word girl and the cute tongue poking out at her mouth at me had me stifling a feminine giggle. I sat in the passenger seat and did up my belt as she twisted the key to start it. I had a thought and reached out to see if I could change the radio station without twisting any of the knobs or touching any of the buttons. Got about 3 stations over before Miura tugged hard on my ear.

“Owwwwwwww I wasn’t going to break it!” to which she tutted back at me.

“Neither of us know what you’re capable of right now. I don’t know how badly you could screw up the car and I’d rather you didn’t”

She makes a good point to be fair.

“So where are we going to?” I asked sincerely, clutching my reddened ear.

“I figured we should try the high street, they don’t seem to be paying much attention to the smaller non-chain stores” Miura said, checking all the mirrors in a little bit of a nervous, twitchy way.

“Look Miura” I put my left hand on her shoulder. “I feel great, I don’t think I’d let them take me just like that” There was certainly truth to that, I felt more confident than ever, its a shame I have to cover myself like today. She nodded back at me, seeming a bit more sure of herself and me. I turned the radio physically to a station with the local news playing.

Hillchester is under the current command of the local British Army Base. We are ordering all people who have gained new powers from the storm to step forwards for mandatory enlistment

“Motherfuckers” I growled. It look an awful lot of restraint for me to not punch the radio with my new arm, it would have most certainly voided any warranty if I had.

Those were the words of Colonel Goff, the leader of the newly named Operation Barracuda which; looking through its modus operandi, involves all emerged that they can make use of in some way offensively or defensively to become enlisted properly in the police or army. They seem to be requesting everyone for evaluation. Currently Hillchester has roadblocks at every exit to the town in order for them to try and find everyone. If you’re a person who gained an ability in last nights storm, it...would be best if you didn’t resist

There was a nervous hint to that last bit of the message. Almost as if the woman covering the message didn’t really believe in the whole thing, at least thats what it felt like to me.

“Fucking bastards” I angrily moan out loud again “Mandatory conscription to the military is barbaric, we’ve not practised that legally for well over 70 years. I won’t let them take me, no way. I’ve no reason to fight anyone for anything other than what's truly important to me” I stopped ranting when I noticed Miura giving me a knowing look.

“I admire your bravery Cy. Speaking of though, you’re not really a Cy-rus anymore right? What do you think about Cynthia? I can still call you Cy then” She smiles, looking really quite proud of it. I blush, Cynthia… Thats such a pretty name.

“I love it, Cynthia...Cynthia...Its feels good” grinning like an idiot, momentarily forgetting the fucked up position I’m in lifewise. I make a mental note to keep my hand in my pocket and my hat on my head in case I run into any of the soldiers. And if I’m found...maybe I could take them by surprise?

“Police are on the lookout for a white older sports car which made off from an accident with a police car last night just after the storms hit. The lone officer in the vehicle is in critical condition. It is assumed that the driver of the car has some kind of telekinetic or psionic ability due to the nature of the incident”

“Cynthia, was that-”

“Pull over” I interrupt, suddenly feeling really ill. Miura pulls the car to the side of the road, thankfully next to an alley. I get out and run a short way down the alleyway, I needed to be alone with my own thoughts for the moment. I nearly killed someone, that was me. I’m a wanted criminal now, theres no way I am going to get caught. Not a chance. I’m not going to let them imprison me” I punch a metal dustbin with my new arm in confused anger. I don’t know who I’m more angry at, myself for thinking I was so innocent, or the bastards running all over normal people’s lives just because some freak arse storm suddenly decides they need some kind of new ability or body or something.
My fist completely obliterates the bin, warping its exterior in a very cartoon-ish fist imprint and sending it hurtling towards the wall of some building in the distance down the alley.

“Cynthia! Please! Calm down. You’re not alone in this problem. I’m sure some other poor souls are being charged with crimes they didn’t commit out of hatred and meaning. They’re probably just as confused and angered and purely innocent as you!” I feel Miura’s arms wrap around my thin waist and hear her sobs. “Please just for today, lets go do what we planned on doing. I know you’re upset and angry and nothing makes sense, but please, for me”.

I sunk to my knees and my tensed shoulders slumped down. “I’m sorry Miura. I don’t know what came over me” I looked back at her car at the end of the alley, noticing its doors open and engine still on. She gathers herself together and gives me a hand to my feet.

“S-so” she sniffles slightly “back to shopping?” I nod and stand. Her hand dragging mine along behind her, back to her car. My heart is fluttering along to the beat of the Eurobeat song her radio is playing.

Dead or alive

Stormbringer
I am the hero in the time
You'll feel in a bad new day

Stormbringer
My power is ready to fight
So every everytime you want

13