Chapter 8: Wasted Potential
1.6k 1 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Pitiful is the person who is afraid of taking risks. Perhaps this person will never be disappointed or disillusioned; perhaps he won't suffer the way people do when they have a dream to follow. The saddest thing in this life is wasted talent. The choices you make will shape your life forever."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

William's POV

After not being allowed inside the classroom of Jean because of some bastard that has a stick up his ass I went to the Principal's office to ask about my request to skip a few grades.

I knocked on the door and then someone answered from the inside. "Come in."

When I opened the door the principal looked a bit shocked and confused then he looked behind me and said, "I didn't expect to see you again so soon William and you're also alone... Where's your mother?"

"It's only just me sir, I came here to ask for the results of my tests. And when can I go to my new classroom?"

He then said while motioning for the chair in front of his desk."Well... why don't you take a seat and I'll tell you about it."

Then he gathered some papers and looks at them one by one meanwhile I took a seat and waited for him to speak.

He then looked at me carefully and said, "This is something I should be telling your parents but you seem mature enough so I will tell it to you and you can talk to your parents afterward."

I nodded then he said, "Your test results are amazing William, especially for a child your age. And you even finished the whole test impressive. The only problem is your knowledge of history but I'm sure you can catch up to it in no time. Now all you need to do is talk to the guidance counselor to see if you are ready and that this change won't affect your academic performance."

Was I not supposed to finish it? Does that mean I didn't have to squeeze my brain that hard to remember and do all those calculations? Are you fucking kidding me?

I just smiled at what he said even though I wanted to bang my head somewhere for doing all those useless efforts. Then I asked, "When will I meet this counselor sir?"

He looked at the clock and said, "It's a bit early but he will come in about an hour or two. In the meantime, you can wait or do what you want and then come back here."

"Thank you, sir." After I said that I left and with nothing better to do I went to the clinic because I can't really go to Jean's classroom.

When I went inside the clinic it was empty as usual, especially at this time of day. I lied down on the bed and just slept. It's early in the morning and for the past six years during this time I wasn't even awake yet. If it wasn't for school I'll be comfortable in my bed right now.

"Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation or CPR... This is an emergency, life-saving procedure that is performed when the heart stops beating. Then next is Life Support and Advanced Cardiac Life Support..."

I woke up to the familiar sound of someone memorizing. I looked over and saw Miss Linda holding a notebook and talking to herself. It's kinda nostalgic... I used to stay up all night to do that just to have the best grades to impress my parents.

Miss Linda saw me looking and said, "Oh sorry if I woke you up, Will. Was I too loud?"

I sat down on the bed and said, "No not at all Miss Linda. I was just taking a nap."

"Well that's good, I wouldn't want to be a nuisance... No, wait for a second, you guys are the nuisance here not me! You weren't supposed to be here anyway."

"Yes, yes, thank you for letting us stay here Miss Linda."

She sighed and put a hand over her forehead. "I feel that you're abusing my kindness here. By the way, where's Jean? And can you tell me what happened yesterday?"

I didn't answer just yet instead I thought it over a bit. 'Should I tell Miss Linda? Jean didn't want to tell anybody so... should I?' I looked at Miss Linda's face and she has a worried and concerned expression. 'I guess it's fine If I just tell her the gist of it. Miss Linda is a kind person I'm sure she can help.'

So I told her what happened yesterday and just as I expected she got angry.

"What!? How could they do that to Jean! I'm going to the Principal's office right now and have those little brats expelled!" She then stood up and was about to open the door but I stopped her.

"Wait, wait, wait, Miss Linda! This is kinda personal for Jean that is why she doesn't want to tell the others. All we can do right now is be there for her and support her along the way."

She stops and just looks down for a moment then sighed. "Fine... but if that kind of thing happens again you tell me alright?"

I nodded earnestly and said, "Of course!"

"Then what are you doing here? If you're going to support her then why aren't you by her side?"

"I was just passing time because I need to meet the counselor in about an hour or two..." I said while looking at the wall clock and when I noticed that I was going to be late I immediately said, "Shit...! I'm going to be late! See you later!"

"Don't swear!"

Then I ran out the door and headed to the Principal's office. I knocked on the door for a bit then opened it.

When the Principal noticed the door opened he said, "Oh, it's you, William. You're just on time the guidance counselor is in his office you just need to go there and tell him your name."

"Thank you, sir."

Then after getting a bit lost searching for the guidance office I finally arrived and knocked on the door. "Come in, It's open!"

When I opened the door a man is seating at his desk while writing. He looked at me and asked, "Hello there... How can I help you?"

"Good morning Sir, my name is William Primo Accardi. I was asked by the principal to come here for an evaluation."

"Oh, it's you. The principal told me your test results and I say that is impressive. Now, why don't we get comfortable and take a seat over there." He pointed at the sofa and chair in the corner of the room.

I nodded and took a seat. Then after that, he asked me a lot of questions. Mostly situational and some of my opinions, I answered them quite easily. Then he asked about my family situation and if I had made some friends and things like that. I don't know how long it took but I guess it was long enough because my mouth is a bit dry when we finished.

He took a look and read all that he wrote in his notebook and contemplated for a moment.

"Well... just based on your test results you could have easily skipped a few grades and now that I've talked to you, you're very mature for your age. Hmmm... I'll recommend you to pursue a higher education maybe start attending at grade 6 or 7 where the students will be more mature compared to grade 5 and below."

"W-what? Grade 7? I just want to skip till grade 3!"

He sighed, "You'll be wasting your potential that way. You're mature enough to even go to high school but I wouldn't recommend it because at that age students tend to be a bit... wilder."

"Can I just go to grade 3? I don't want to rush my studies and fail because of that." Yeah, that's bullshit who wants to skip that many grades anyway? I said I was a bit bored at my grade but that doesn't mean I want to work harder by skipping till grade 7. If I remember correctly that was when we started learning algebra and carried a lot more books than the fucking library in our bags. I don't want that, I like this relaxed life that I have and I just want to be classmates with Jean.

"Why don't you talk about it to your parents?"

I shook my head, "I think they will support me in my decision."

"Really? But I still think you shouldn't be hasty about your decision and think it through and talk with your parents. I'll talk to the Principal about it and then you can bring your parents tomorrow so that we can all talk."

Damn... why is he so insistent on me going to a higher grade than what I want. So what if it is a wasted potential? Fuck off it's my life.

I forced a smile and then said, "Thank you, sir, I'll tell them. Then if you'll excuse me it is time for lunch and I need to go."

He then looked at the clock, "Oh you're right. Then goodbye and have a nice day."

After that, I went out and walked to Jean's classroom. When I got out students are already leaving their classroom probably to get lunch so I hurried but when I got to the classroom Jean is not there.

'Shit...! Where is she? I hope those girls aren't bullying her again...'

So I went looking for her and checked the back of the building first. When I got there I saw Jean with tears in her eyes talking to both of them.

"...you were my first friends and I'll always treasure the memories of our time together. But It's time we go our separate ways..."

She's too kind... Is she going to just forgive and forget? Haahh... As much as I want to have them expelled or something It is not my decision to make...

Then when Jean walked away that little bitch grabbed her hair "You bitch...! What are you spouting on and on about? Me? Jealous of you? Keep dreami-" I was just about to go there and helped her out but she slapped and pushed her away.

"If you think I wouldn't fight back then you're wrong!"

"Y-you bitch...!" Then she tried to attack her again but her friend held her back. "S-stop it Britney!"

Then Jean said, "I don't get it... Why are you so jealous of me Britney? In truth, I should be jealous of you... You were confident and sociable. You have nothing to be jealous of me I'm just ...me."

Okay, that's enough watching from the sidelines I need to support her, as much as I want to let her fight her own battle I wouldn't leave her be.

"You fucking bitch...! Who said I was jeal-"

I interrupted her, "Well that is what you're wrong about Jean. She has plenty to be jealous of you because you're smart, beautiful and most of all you're kind... Unlike someone over there."

"You fucking coward watch what you're saying!" She shouted at me.

"Go, Jean! Get out of here! I'll try to calm her down..."

"Thanks, Sarah."

"It's the least that I can do... After all, we did to you, and for what's it worth I'm sorry..."

Jean smiled a bit then we went our way.

"That's all you're going to do? They took you to the back of the building again! What if they hurt you..." I asked her because they might keep on causing problems for her if they were not dealt with properly.

"I was the one that took them there-"

"What!? Why would you do that!"

"I wanted to settle it on my terms," She said smiling like she got a weight off her back.

I carefully looked at her and saw that she has her back straight, shoulders no longer so close to her, and is swinging her arms around while walking. She looks much more sure of herself and more confident.

"Well if that is what you want then I don't have the right to tell you no. So... wanna get something to eat?"

"Yeah, that would be nice... By the way where were you?"

I laughed nervously, "So uhmm... I was at the principal's office and the good news is I managed to pass the exams-"

She interrupted me and then hugged me tightly "That's good news! Does that mean we're going to be classmates soon?"

"Well... I was not finished the bad news is that I did too well so I was qualified to skip until grade 7" l scratched the back of my head and laughed slightly again.

She then suddenly stops walking and I looked back, confused why "Jean...?"

She has an expression on her face that I can't quite understand her previous happy and confident voice is gone. She then said softly that I can barely hear it. "...are you going to leave me?"

I quickly denied her, "What? No! Of course not, It's just that the guidance counselor is recommending me to attend at that grade. I will talk to my parents about it but I'm sure they'll agree for me to just advance till your grade."

She then smiles again "I'm glad..."

After that, we ate with Miss Linda and hung out at the clinic. Then it was time for us to go home, Jean rode the school bus while I waited for Mom to arrive.

While waiting I thought about what the counselor kept on talking about... my wasted potential. I guess he has a point and from his point of view I would be one of those geniuses but in reality, I wasn't. All that I know now is the result of my hard work and efforts. I don't want to bury my head again in books and stay up all night pushing myself to be the best. My parents now are a bit laxer I'm sure they'll support me. After all, they enrolled me in a public school instead of a private one even when we have the money.

*Beep-beep* *Beep-beep*

I looked over and saw Mom's car, "Hey Will! Let's go!"

"Coming!"

I then opened the door and got into the passenger seat put on my seatbelts and closed the door. Then the car started a little bit fast meanwhile Mom is silent, usually, she would ask me how did my day go but now she is just silent. It is making me a bit uncomfortable because I am not used to this side of Mom. So I asked, "Is there something bothering you Mom?"

"No. Why would you think that."

"Uhm... because you're driving a little bit too fast." I said while holding on for dear life at my seat.

She glances at me and sighs then slows down a bit. "I'm sorry honey I just had a bad day at work..."

"What happened?"

"I don't want to talk about it okay?" She said so I just stayed silent.

After a while, she started speaking again. "There is this really arrogant newbie surgeon... that just drives me nuts! If it wasn't because he is good at his job I would strangle him ugh...!"

Throughout the car ride, she rants on and on while I just listened and sometimes respond by nodding and saying 'uh huh'. Until we finally arrived home.

"Oh... I almost forgot how did the request go? Did you pass the test?" She asked after we got inside our home.

"Yeah... I did and I also finished talking to the guidance counselor, for you know evaluation. He recommends that I should go and pursue higher education-"

She cuts me off then hugs me tightly and excitedly said, "That's good news! We got to tell your father! He should be home later tonight. I'll cook your favorites as a reward okay? This is just the good news I need for the awful day that I had" Then she started humming to herself.

"B-but wait, Mom! I don't want to skip that many grades I just want to skip two and be classmates with Jean..."

She then looks at me, shocked "Why? You're finally doing something with your intelligence... don't you think it is a bit of a waste?"

Again? I am not some sort of genius okay? I am just a normal guy... that just happened to be reborn...

"No! I don't want to!" I said like a child throwing a tantrum.

She sighed, "Well if that's what you want but let's wait for your to come home maybe he'll talk you into it. Meanwhile, I'll cook for us so why don't you change your clothes and rest?"

I just nodded and then went to my room. Inside my room, I looked at the mirror at the cabinet door. I looked at it and I can see a cute kid with chubby cheeks and black hair and brown eyes. I made it a habit to look in the mirror every day just so that I can get used to my new identity. But... sometimes I can still see who I once was... a skinny guy with big eyebags and glasses.

I sighed and then changed clothes. After that, I lied on my bed and relaxed.

'This is for your own good.'

'Hey dude, why do you always look like a zombie hahaha'

'In the future, you'll thank us for this son, when you are successful.'

'Why don't you eat more? You'll look like you will die any minute now...'

*Knock-knock*

"Hey Will! It's time for dinner! Your father's here let's eat!"

I woke up from the sound of knocking and Mom's call. I sat up on the bed and closed my eyes and breathe...

"...I'm coming," I responded back after a while.

I went out of my room and to the dining table where Mom and Dad is sitting. Dad looks a bit tired as usual...

"So your mother said that you don't want to pursue higher education and just want to move up a few grades?" He asked with a serious tone of voice.

I nodded and said nothing.

He sighs, "You know that I never went to school right? It's because I don't have that kind of opportunity back then... And now here you are denying it even when it is handed to you on a silver platter. Why?"

"Can't I just do what I want? And just enjoy my life?"

"Doing what huh? All you do is eat, sleep, and daydream all the time. I wouldn't care if you do that if you're just a normal kid but... your different."

"Why can't I live my life as a normal kid? Why can't I be like the others? Why are you always telling me what to do!?" I shouted while standing up and banging my hands at the table.

*Bam!*

There was just silence at the dinner table. Fuck...! I didn't mean to shout and yell at them. They didn't deserve that... they have been far better parents than my previous ones...

So I quietly sat back down and said, "... I'm sorry."

"It's fine... We wouldn't want to push you to do something you clearly don't want to... Right Amore?" Mom said while looking at Dad.

He sighed and took a cigarette from his pocket but when he was about light it up Mom snatched it from him and glared. After a while, he said, "Is that what you want?"

I nodded

"Fine... If that is how you want to live your life so be it." Then he stood up and went to the balcony.

Mom patted my head, "Don't beat yourself up over this alright? Your father just wants the best for you, you know that. I'm going to talk to him while you finish eating okay?" Then she stood up and went after dad.

Meanwhile, I took a bite of the food Mom cooked. I can't taste anything...

That is how I ended up as Jean Grey's classmate.

45