Chapter 9: Moving
1.8k 9 48
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened." 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

William's POV

It has been a year since I met Jean and being with her made me realize just how alone I really was since being reborn here...

Jean and I are always together whenever we're eating, studying, or just relaxing, hell even going to the restroom... it was a weird experience, It was especially funny seeing Jean just looking at the boy's urinal and asking how.

But all in all, It was a good year. Jean's bullying stopped ever since she became more confident in herself thus smiling more and also she isn't alone anymore, do children smell weakness? Or probably because the main culprit stopped fanning the flames, they just ignored us and in turn, we ignore them.

I've also been trying to be alert when outside the school or home because I never knew when I will be in danger just because of being Jean's friend.

Right now we are currently on the rooftop leaning side by side on the floor, under the shade and away from the sunlight. We couldn't really hang out anymore at the clinic because Miss Linda finally passed the exam and got a job at the Metro-General Hospital, the same place Mom is currently working.

I sighed and closed my eyes today is the last day of school and Jean wanted to spend the last day of our school together.

Then Jean suddenly asked me a weird question, "Hey Will, you're really smart right?"

"I don't know about that... I've been told a lot of times I was stupid for 'Doing everything they told you'."

"Huh? What's that supposed to mean?"

"I... It's nothing. Why'd you even ask that?"

"...you won't forget about me right?" She whispered and I probably wouldn't hear it if we aren't so close.

I looked at her and she has her head buried in my shoulders refusing to look at me. "That's a weird question to ask... Is there something wrong?"

"...just answer the question."

I sighed and scratched my head, Jean is being weird today... Is it because the school year is about to end and we wouldn't see each other as frequently? Well... she has been quite clingy and attached to me this whole year so I reassured her.

"Don't worry Jean it's just a few weeks, the school year will start again then we will see each other every day. If you want you could also visit my home, you know that Mom likes yo-"

She cut me off and shouted with tears welling up in her eyes. "That's not it! ... We're moving tomorrow... a-and we might not ever see each other again..!" Then she hugged me and cried loudly.

I patted her back and asked. "Why...?"

"D-dad got a better job at a place called... Bard College in Annandale-on-Hudson, New York. H-he said we're going to live at a b-better house but I don't want that! I don't want to leave you... bu-"

I tried to wipe her tears and smiled at her, "It's fine Jean, we could still call-"

"It's not fine!" She shouted and started hitting me in the chest with her fist. "Why are you smiling...? Are you happy that I will be gone?  A-am I too annoying? I-is that it...

I hugged her tighter and whispered. "Don't say that... Being with you this whole year was fun. We can still call each other you know? I know the number of our home landline we can talk to every day... And I will never forget you."

She wipes her tears and looked me in the eye, "R-really? We'll talk every day a-and you'll never forget about me...?"

"Of course even if you forget about me I will never forget you... I promise..."

"Pinky promise?" She says while extending her pinky finger to me.

I hooked my pinky finger to her, "Pinky promise..."

She finally smiles and hugged me tightly again. I patted her back and said, "Well since this is the last time we might see each other again let's have some fun!"

"Don't say that! We'll see each other again once we grow up!"

I just laughed.

After that, we sneaked out of school and went to the nearby mall.

Jean is looking around everywhere while holding my hand. "Are you sure we should be out here?"

"It's fine! Just hold onto my hand so we won't get separated okay?"

She nodded and held my hand tighter.

After a while, we finally reached an arcade. It was extremely loud and crowded. Then we lined up at the cashier to exchange some tokens. "Do you have any money Will?"

I took from my pocket a hundred-dollar bill, "I think this should be enough right?" This is my allowance for the week but I don't really spend it on anything.

"I think that is a lot... How much are you planning to exchange?"

"About...20 dollars?"

"I guess that's fine...?"

Then it was finally our turn. I put the money at the counter, "Just for 20 dollars please."

The cashier look down at us and asked, "Aren't you a bit too young to be carrying that much money?"

I knew this would be a problem, so I quickly thought of a solution beforehand. "What? But my big sis gave it to me." Then I waved at a particular lady who is with her friends. She looked at me and I smiled so she smiled back and waved. Hehe, who can resist the charm of a child?

The cashier just nodded and handed us my change and a lot of tokens. When we are finally out of sight Jean whispered to me. "Isn't that too much?"

I forced a smile and said, "It's fine... That just means we have a lot of tokens to use."

After that, we played most of the two-player games for example the street fighter which has terrible graphics but is otherwise ok.

"Ha! Take this Hadouken, Hadouken, Hadouken!" I basically spammed it.

"Stop it! That's not fair!"

"Hahaha all is fair in love and war!"

"What does that even mean!"

*K.O... CONTINUE?...3...2*

It was fun but I couldn't find the Tekken which was my favorite. Then we played dance dance revolution.

"Hahaha, you're terrible at this Will!"

"It's because haa... my legs are short! It's not fair."

She giggled "Well anything is fair in love and war."

"You... don't even know what that means..." I said while panting.

We even got a souvenir that I got from a claw machine.

"Come on... just a... bit more... There I got it hahaha! It might've taken a lot of tokens but I still got it! Here it is for you Jean!" I said then handed Jean the stuffed bear but when I turned to her she already has hers except it has a bow tie instead of a ribbon.

"Oh... you already got one..."

She smiled at me and handed it to me, "I got this for you!"

"Thanks... and I got this for you."

It was a fun and memorable day it just sucks that it has come to an end.

When we got back to school Jean's Mother was already there, it was extremely noticeable because of the hair. She is walking back and forth just outside the school gate with a phone in her ear.

She then noticed us and immediately hugged Jean and said, "There you are sweetie, I was so worried I thought something bad happened to you... When I asked your teacher he said that you didn't attend the class."

"It's fine Mom, I was just playing with Will."

She looked at me with a glare and I just stood there because I didn't know what to do. This is the first time I met her but in the end, I said, "Good afternoon Mrs. Grey."

"Where did you take my daughter to? You're both so young and you're already cutting classes to play?"

Jean pulled at her clothes, "Mom stop! Will didn't do anything wrong-"

"What do you mean didn't do anything wrong? Something could have happened to both of you out here! It's a good thing that we're moving tomorrow or else I wouldn't know what will happen if you have a bad influence like that. Let's go! And don't you think this is over we are going to have a long talk about this" Then she held Jean's hand and pulled her to the car.

"Mom wait! I haven't even said goodbye to Will!" Jean said while struggling for her to let go.

"Stop it, Jean! What is going on with you? He is a bad influence on you! Just look at wha-"

Jean interrupted her and said with tears in her eyes, "No! Will is my friend!"

Jean's mother glared at me then let go of Jean, "Go on I'll wait." She said while crossing her arms.

Jean immediately ran and hugged me. "I'm sorry Will..."

I hugged her back, "It's fine... She's right... something bad could have happened to us after all we-"

"No! Don't say that! Today has been fun and I don't regret any second of it!"

I smiled "Me too..."

We stayed silent for a moment just feeling each other's warmth and enjoying the presence of each other.

Then tears started flowing down my shoulders and Jean said while sobbing, "I-I don't want to go Will... I don't want to say goodbye to you..."

I can also feel my eyes tearing up, "T-then don't say goodbye... It's see you later..."

We then separated and looked into each other's eyes, "T-that sounds stupid..."

"Hey, I thought about that all day I think it was cool."

She smiles at me while wiping her tears, "Then see you later..." Then out of nowhere she kisses my cheeks and ran.

I stood there stunned at what happened and whispered to the departing car, "...see you later."

After a while, Mom arrived and I got into the car.

"You okay?" She asked while glancing at me.

"I'm fine," I said while looking at the stuffed bear in my hands.

"Just remember that I'm here to listen alright?"

I stayed silent until we arrived home and I just went straight to my room and lied down on my bed.

Fuck... I hate feeling like this. I already knew at some point that she will leave because I knew that she is Jean Grey. It's either I leave or we slowly drift away.

I will leave because someday she might manifest her power and I can't have her reading what's in my mind. I wouldn't know how she will react if she knew that she is just a fictional character in my world. Or we drift away because she is part of the X-men while I am just a normal guy.

Haahh... I'm just going to sleep.

The next day I am in front of the telephone waiting while walking back and forth.

"What are you doing there Will?" Mom asked.

"... waiting for her to call," I answered absentmindedly.

"Who? Is it-"

*Ring-Ring**Ring-Ring*

I immediately answered the phone. "Hello?"

"Hello is this the residence of the Accardi family?" Someone with a deep voice asked. Then in the background, I can hear. "Is it him? Dad? Let me hear!" A voice that I missed already.

"Jean? Is that Jean?"

"I guess this is the correct number, here you go Jean." The voice said who I can only assume was Jean's father.

"Hey Will!"

"Hello, Jean!"

"..." There was a few moments of silence.

""Why aren't you talkin-"" We said at the same time.

""Ah! You first!""

Then we laughed at each other.

"I just want to hear your voice again..."

"Me too..."

And just like that, we spent a few minutes talking to each other like we hadn't just been talking yesterday.

When the call ended I saw mom looking at me with a smile.

"Is that why you're so sad yesterday? Because you won't see Jean again until the school year starts?"

My happy mood immediately lowered when I heard her question. "...no, Jean is moving away and we don't know when we'll see each other again."

Her teasing smile disappeared, "Oh, I'm sorry Will. I'm sure you'll meet each other again soon. How about I cook you a meal to cheer you up?"

I smiled and nodded and in a blink of an eye, a few months passed.

Throughout these past few months, I went to school as normal albeit a bit lonely without Jean but it was fine because every day we would call each other. I'm sure that is not good for the bill but... meh, it's not my problem.

I still can't decide if it is good news or bad news because Jean managed to befriend her neighbor, Anne.

She was so happy that day, so much so that I barely managed to get a word or two. And I couldn't find it in me to tell her not to be friends with her so I just said to be careful.

Right now I am at home with the telephone on hand calling Jean.

*Ring-Ring**Ring-Ring*

But... she wouldn't answer. I tried again but still nothing.

Shit... Did something bad happen? I tried calling again but this time someone finally answered.

"Hello?" A deep voice asked, it was Mr. Grey. I talked to him a few times before and he is a good person, after all, he is the one paying the bills for our everyday calls.

"Uhmm... Hello Uncle John? Where is Jean?"

"..." The other line was silent for a moment, I can feel that there is something wrong...

After a while, he said with a grave tone. "There was a car  accident-"

I interrupted him, "How is Jean? Is she okay? Did she get hurt? Is she in the hospital? Can I talk to-"

"Calm down..."

Shit... I feel that there is a weight in my chest making me anxious and panic.

I took a deep breath and said, "... I'm sorry."

"Jean is fine..." When I heard that the weight in my chest disappeared but it came back because of his next words. "But Jean's friend, Anne died. Right now Jean is in her room and is refusing to-"

He stops talking and from the other side of the phone, I heard Jean's voice.

"Can I talk to Will...?"

"Jean! You're finally out. How are you feeling? Can I get you something? Anything?"

"...can I have the telephone please?"

"Oh... here."

In a monotone voice, Jean said, "Hello..."

"Jean...! I'm glad you're alright... Did you get hurt? H-how are you feeling?"

Then she started sobbing and from the other side of the line, I can hear Uncle John shouting. "Jean calm down!"

I immediately said, "H-hey Jean-" But was interrupted by her.

"A-am I cursed Will...?"

"What? Why would you say that? Of course not!"

"T-then why does all my friends leave me! Why is it that every time I get close to someone something happens!"

From the other side of the line, I can hear Jean's mother, "Oh dear lord what's happening!" Followed by Uncle John's "J-jean whatever's happening please stop doing this!" I can hear a lot of stuff breaking in the background.

I shouted as loud as I could, "JEAN! I AM STILL HERE!"

There was a moment of silence so I continued speaking. "I may not always be there with you, but I will always be there for you. If you need me, call me. I don't care if I'm sleeping or if I'm having my own problems. If you need me and if you need to talk to me, I'll always be there for you. No matter how big or how small your problem is, I'll be there."

"...Thank you...Will."

Then there was a sound of something falling and then silence.

"Hello! Jean! Are you still there?!" I panicked and screamed but the call got cut off. 

*Beeeeeppp*

The sound of the telephone is the only thing that I can hear. I called again and again but no one answered.

That is the last time I managed to speak to Jean.

Next chapter will be in highschool.

This past chapters were intended to be only about a two to three chapters but I got carried away haha (⁠•⁠ ⁠▽⁠ ⁠•⁠;⁠)

48