(4) Equipment
5k 6 158
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I eagerly open the duel disk's box; the first thing inside is a red duel disk, so I take it out and examine it. It's oval-shaped, with each end tapering off into a point, and there's a big rectangular hole on top, where the screen is typically located. There's also a slot on one of the sides with a transparent window on the opposite one. Below the duel disk in the box is a manual, some kind of wristband, and a belt clip. I don't know what to do with it, so I grab the manual and RTFM.

....

....

....

As I finish skimming over the manual, and these are my main takeaways.

First, the hole on top is for a phone to be installed in. An adapter is required as the size of phones is not standard, but the size of the hole in duel disks is. The adapter is included when you buy a phone, so I'll see if I can find the one Yuumi had.

Second, the slot on the side is supposed to face you during a duel. You insert your deck in there before a duel to store it, that deck is not taken out during the duel. Instead, the slot is used to activate spell cards, set traps, send cards to the graveyard, draw cards, take out monsters from the extra deck, etc... etc... Basically, the duel disk manages where your cards are; you just have to handle the monsters on the field and the cards in your hand.

Thirdly, the technology that makes this all possible is called "Solid Vision". The duel disk contains three full-powered Solid Vision projectors. The one at the front behind the transparent window is what projects the "Dueling Blade". The two other projectors are located on opposing points and project the monsters. There are also two "Mini Solid Vision" projectors. One is internal and is what the disk uses to sort cards. And the other, after you insert your phone, is located behind the screen. The projector projects through the phone and is used for informational holograms.

 

"OMFG, THIS IS SOO COOL" I yell, and the voice that comes out is that of a schoolgirl... 'Right... gender-bent... almost forgot.'

 

I put the disk and manual back in their box and move the duel disk's box to the side. A sheet of paper is on the bottom of the NWDA's parcel. Picking it up, there's a diagram of how the uniform is supposed to be worn, with arrows pointing to various parts. One arrow points to the top right side of the skirt and says, "Duel Disk Belt Clip Here", and there is another pointing to the left wrist labeled "Duel Disk Wristband Here."

On the flip side, there's a timetable for the introduction and tryouts for various Elo brackets. This reminds me to check the time.

I do so, and it's only 6 AM.

 

"I better get ready... But first."

I start looking around the room, trying to find Yummi's phone. In doing so, I discover a gym bag standing next to the bed, and inside there are what I assume to be everyday clothes and some white underwear. I also find my old phone in one pocket of the gym bag, but I leave it there as it's not the one I'm looking for.

Finally, I searched the bed and found it there, next to what I assume is the Duel Disk adapter.

 

"Those must have been some dank memes for you to have gone brain-dead over, Yuumi." I joke.

 

Picking up the phone, it looks like a 6.5" rectangle with no borders and is completely translucent. I try to find the power button and find it on the right side. After turning it on, it asks me for a fingerprint and unlocks by putting my thumb over the onscreen fingerprint sensor. The OS reminds me of android. That's a good thing, as I find it easy to navigate. I look at the installed apps. There are not really any that scream out to me as strange. There's a GlobalNet browser, app store, Mail client, music app, calling, messaging, camera, files, Etc... The more interesting apps seem to be grouped in a folder called "Personal" There's "@Wallet", "Upstart Banking", "Dragoon City ID", and "Lockandkey Password Manager". I would have liked to check these apps out, but with the time constraint of 7:30, I decided to do it later.

 

I also picked up the adapter. Again is just a translucent rectangular screen with a hole in the middle. So I put it over by the Duel Disk, then took the accessories out of its box.

 

Phone and Duel Disk accessories in hand, I grab the uniform's box and some white underwear from the gym bag.

With my hands full, I make my way to the bathroom.

"This will be interesting."

 

30 minutes later.

"That was... eye-opening..." I said as I walked out of the bathroom, dressed up in the academy's uniform.

 

About the uniform. Something about it bothered me.

"Seriously, are school skirts supposed to be this short!? I mean, it only extends to my mid-thigh! I bearly feel like I'm wearing anything!" I whine. Then continue "Also, I hope there is a winter version; this skirt and sleeveless shirt are not the best combos for cold weather!"

......

'Doesn't matter. I have something much more interesting to fuss over now!'

I try to ignore what I'm wearing as I grab my new Duel Disk

I clip it to the wristband, then take my phone out, put in the adapter, and install the Phone+Adapter on the Duel Disk,

A message appears on the screen.

 

[Duel Disk detected, Download relevant software?] 

I press yes

[Warning: Metered connection to GlobalNet detected utilizing local copy.]

Yes, I'm on mobile data, and I hope I'm still below my data cap because earlier in the bathroom, I had to use GlobalNet to figure out how to put on a bra... It's more complicated than it looks, ok?

[Installation of host driver complete, Initializing: DIMCORP DUEL DISK 6 Ver 1.01]

The phone displays that message, and then the screen goes black. A moment later, the phone and the adapter both light up.

'So that's why Yuumi had the adapter next to her phone in bed. It's a screen extension!'

 

[Identity retrieval from host driver successful]

[Connection to DuelNet Successful]

[Checking host driver version... Warning: Outdated host driver, using DuelNet to update, as this is the first boot, it will not incur additional cost.]

Thankfully even though it requires an update to work, it doesn't use my mobile data.

[Updating... Update complete, rebooting device]

The Duel Disk turns off and comes back a few seconds later.

[Connection to DuelNet successful]

[Checking host driver version... Latest version verified]

[Learning institution-owned Duel Disk confirmed]

[Using DuelNet to download customization... Customization application complete]

[Early Duel Disk initialization complete]

The screen then shows what I assume is the NWDA logo.

[Welcome soon-to-be student of the NWDA. Please proceed with Duel Disk registration]

The screen fades to show a picture of me with my name, age, and Elo underneath.

[Please confirm that this is you]

I chose yes.

"OUCH," I finch as I feel a little scratch beneath the wristband.

[DNA verification in progress...]

[Extraction complete. Verifying against learning institution database via DuelNet...]

[DNA Verification successful, DNA locking successful.]

["Duel Disk registration complete. Welcome Yuumi Matsunaga"]

'DNA Locking? This is a lot of security for a device used to play fucking YGO.'

[Finishing Startup]

[Solid Vision Projector initialization successful]

[Duel Disk Initialization complete]

158