Chapter 54 : Danger
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The ugly expression drawn on Alvred’s face could not be more apparent. It was just that incredulous for him to understand this situation. He thought that he never saw this kind of behaviour among his men for as far as he knew, so why did someone just decided to be retarded? At this point of time even?!

“Searing Spike.” The man said again, but now it has a different atmosphere around his voice. It sounded cold, and frightening to say the least. 

And it was at this moment, Blaid finally remembered to whom that voice belonged to. His eyes widened in shock, contracted like they just realized something that was too insane to be true. But the truth was bare in front of him, how could he not believe it then?

“Be careful-”

Alas, it was a bit too late for him to realize that. He could not even finish his sentence when a spear was flown through the air, aiming toward one of the men that had been laying low on the ground. 

The one who was targeted by the spear did not even know because albeit he was listening to the bickering just now, he could not afford to look back. He was trained to be focused from his experience in this group, and he did not dare to look back, afraid that a trap or an enemy might suddenly appear and he would lose that momentum. They were told to be perfect because this mission needed a concentrated attention because of the appearance of an unknown variable, Enjar.

But the attack came from an unknown source, a side that they did not even think of the possibilities, let alone expecting that. An attack that came from the backside of their formations! 

How could they expect that from happening? Wasn’t the enemy supposed to be in front of him? Wasn’t the Wheatfield Village in front of him? So why did an attack come from behind them?!

Was this a reinforcement? But if we put aside reinforcements and help that Enjar got, how could the enemy appear seemingly out of thin air, all of a sudden, without them knowing? What was going on here?

All of these thoughts raced through their minds, each had these kinds of thinking in just a matter of milliseconds. But the spear did not wait for them to be prepared, as it just launched itself with a speed that they did not think they could employ.

The targeted man saw a light come from behind him, and as he was turning his head toward the source, he only had a moment to realize that he had freaked up. 

*Siiisss*

*Splart*

A screeching low sound sounded for a second before it landed on its target, piercing through it without any obstacles as if an arrow pierced through a butter. He just turned his head for some milliseconds and what came greeting him was a spear that pierced through his body. A reaction was bound to happen, and it soon came out after he started to feel the pain. 

“Aaaahhh!!” The man cried out loud, feeling the pain that pierced through his body. He did not expect it in the slightest that an ambush had appeared and delivered him a blow. 

“Take cover!” A warning cried out from Alvred that had a panicked yet serious expression on his face. All of this was just beyond his expectation and comprehension. How could they let an enemy be between them, and they did not even realize it?!

He felt like all of his efforts to be an experienced veteran were in vain after he realized this fact. 

But it was just his one thought. His other thoughts tried to process what was happening and the counter to this attack. He proceeded to prepare himself to launch against him. He was not the only one who did that. Blaid and Arin were one of the men who tried to attack Enjar too.

Their counter was preceded by one of the men from the backmost positions that had different bearings than most of the men around here. He had a slim body, but his standing position looked strong and sturdy. His short hair fluttered a little from the wind after he launched himself toward Enjar with a saber in his hand. 

He slashed his saber toward Enjar with an apparent killing intent inside of his eyes. It seemed like there was no fear inside of Enjar’s eyes, as he had a grin attached on his face. He faced the attack head on, by also slashing his spear toward the incoming attack.

*Trang!*

The clash between a saber and a spear sounded. The spear seemed like it had more power, with how the saber was thrown off a bit far than how it was supposed to be from the saber wielder's way of thinking. The thin man had a solemn expression when he felt the strength of the enemy in front of him. 

*Trang!* *Sring!* *Wham!* *Srrrtt!*

The two exchanged for a few clashes again, with the thin man being in defensive mode and his enemy being in the offensive. The spear was longer than the saber, so it has better range than the saber too. And finally the spear could hurt the thin man’s body by grazing his front body.

“Kuhhh..!!” A pain came after he got hurt from the wound that the thin man received. It was not a fatal wound, but it could deter him for a moment of vulnerability in front of his enemy. And just like he expected, his enemy launched an attack that seemed like a death sign for him. 

*PANG*

Fortunately for him, a sword parried the spear from advancing toward his heart. It was from Arin that had arrived after a few seconds the exchanges had happened. He too had a serious expression when he faced the enemy in front of him.

Enjar failed to kill the thin man, but he was not deterred. He looked at his surroundings and saw there were tens of men prepared to attack him from all of his sides. They had recovered from their shock and braced themselves to fight, as if this kind of thing was normal for them, just like how a trained group of men that had been seasoned in war for many times. 

They had concluded to themselves that there were no more ranged attacks coming after that one attack, so now they became bold and approached him too. There was only a single victim that suffered from the thrown spear, so they thought that the one who threw the spear was this man in front of them.

Enjar jumped back with a strong kick, jumping backward for tens of meters long just from that single jump. He landed on a high ground, and saw the situation with a better perception and wider range. 

All of the people that had been trying to infiltrate the Wheatfield Village had been walking cautiously around the bushes, as if trying to use them as their covers so that they would not be found out when they walked. But now, they did not care about it anymore as they thought that there was no need for it anymore. They all stood straight, their eyes were vigilant from how they sensed the situation around them. 

Alvred arrived near where Arin and the thin man were standing. His eyes looked apprehensive as he put his vision toward the man that was looking down at them from his high ground. With the grin attached on his face, it looked like a madman that wanted to clench his thirst of blood.

Were his eyes playing tricks on him, or was it just that the smiling man’s eyes truly glowing red in this dark night? With his white teeth put out in the open for all to see. Blaid too soon arrived near him too, with an anxious looking expression attached on his face. 

He looked at how surprised his comrades’ expressions were, not that he could blame them. He tried to think about how this man was able to infiltrate their ranks and somehow had been around them when they did not even notice him. Heck, he was not even using that chance to land a hard blow on them when they were at their weakest point. 

He could not understand the man’s mind and thinking, truly a madman title was not wrong in his opinion. And because of that, fear bloomed inside of his heart. 

“This man is dangerous.”

0