Chapter 24
422 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With the mid-autumn festival nearing, lanterns and decorations gradually filled up the streets of the city. Shops and vendors sold fresh ingredients for families to make celebratory feasts with. Many people also asked their loved ones out to spend time together with them during the holiday.

In the inner palace, the festive mood was nowhere to be seen. Only the lanterns hung around the consorts’ and concubines’ respective residences signified the upcoming event.

They were all too busy and nervous preparing for their performance to be shown to the Emperor and the guests at the banquet later. The excitement to be noticed by the Emperor was there, but the fear of making a mistake was more prominent.

But not for Xue Lan.

Since he was no longer a consort, he didn’t need to prepare any performance.

He strolled through the bamboo groves with Mo Shen where lanterns filled lit up the sides of the area.

He couldn’t remember much about his parents, but the most significant memory he had about them was that they spent mid-autumn festivals together every year eating his mother’s mooncakes.

They usually ate them up on a hill where they could see the moon the clearest. To get there, they would go through a bamboo forest trail similar to the one he was strolling through right now.

Once they reached the end, a simple pavilion stood there with a stone table and 2 benches in front of it.

The main date for the festival was still 2 days away but Xue Lan wanted to celebrate it by himself prior. On the main date, he would be quite busy after all.

“Don’t you want to go play in the city, My Lord?” Mo Shen asked as he took out the drink and snacks from the basket. “Spending it here is nothing but dull.”

“I don’t dislike the dullness,” Xue Lan calmly replied. “If it’s that unbearable for you, why don’t you entertain me?”

“For free?” Mo Shen raised an eyebrow.

Xue Lan fanned himself, “Is it not up to the audience whether to reward a performer on the street or not?”

Mo Shen chuckled, “Well, I must do my best to earn it then.”

“But don’t ruin the mood,” Xue Lan added.

“The sky is not quite dark yet, so why don’t we play a song to lure out the moon, My Lord?” Mo Shen waved his hand and summoned out a flute.

Xue Lan put down his fan, interested in Mo Shen’s musical skill.

Mo Shen blew the first note tenderly. The melody flowed like a gentle stream into the air. The tranquil tune hid its sinister bearing which trembled the wind, forcing the bamboo groves to softly dance to it.

Xue Lan closed his eyes and enjoyed the mysterious melody. It was something he never heard before but he inexplicably felt it reverberating into his body. 

On his way back from his study, Tian Chen heard a faint song coming from the bamboo groves. A servant said that Xue Lan went there with his attendant, possibly to eat his dinner there.

Tian Chen stood still for a long while before walking in. Nearing the end, he heard Xue Lan’s and Mo Shen’s voices, chatting with one another.

He stopped when Xue Lan’s back entered his vision.

“My Lord, how did you like my performance?” he heard Mo Shen say.

“Not bad,” Xue Lan said in a lukewarm tone as he picked up a mooncake.

“You’re never honest with me,” Mo Shen chuckled, one could hear the endearment within it. He leaned down and bit the mooncake in Xue Lan’s hand, “Do I have to break your heart first to get my reward?”

Xue Lan glanced at Mo Shen, “I suppose if you dare.”

Mo Shen’s lips curved in amusement. He swallowed the food in his mouth and straightened up, “I shall go and prepare your tea, My Lord.”

Tian Chen thought that Mo Shen would find him eavesdropping behind the groves, but the other passed by him obliviously.

“…”

Xue Lan looked at the half-bitten moon cake. He didn’t really mind it and brought it to his mouth when his wrist was suddenly grabbed.

He wasn’t surprised to see Tian Chen behind him.

“Your Majesty,” Xue Lan stood up in greeting.

He wanted to put the mooncake onto the plate but Tian Chen didn’t let him go. Instead, the other directly threw it away from his hand.

“Prince Xue, is it a common practice for you to share your food with your servant?” Tian Chen’s grip slightly tightened.

“…It is just who he is. This subject has grown accustomed to him,” Xue Lan didn’t question how long Tian Chen had been watching.

Mo Shen informed him on his arrival anyway.

“Your Majesty, is there something this subject can help you with?” Xue Lan intentionally inquired.

“Do We need a specific reason to talk to Our subject? Are We the Emperor or are you, Prince Xue?” Tian Chen narrowed his eyes.

Xue Lan lowered his head, “This subject only wishes to be of use. Your Majesty, forgive this subject for his offence.”

“Prince Xue, for what reason do you submit to Us? Is it really for your country? Or is it for your own selfish reason?” Tian Chen lifted Xue Lan’s face up.

“…Of course, it is for my coun–”

 Xue Lan’s eyes faintly widened when Tian Chen suddenly blocked his lips with his own. His other hand was also restrained, rendering him unable to push Tian Chen away.

He couldn’t feel anything but disgust.

This was the man who killed him. The man who caused all his sufferings. Tian Chen was as guilty as his country.

He would make both perish from the surface of the earth painfully.

Tian Chen slowly backed away, feeling the tremble on Xue Lan’s hands. When he looked at him, Xue Lan’s eyes were gazing down, unknown to what thought.

What was certain, he didn’t seem to be happy.

“Your fear, We shall destroy it,” Tian Chen caressed Xue Lan’s hair. “Your pain, We shall heal it.”

“This subject does not deserve this favour,” Xue Lan freed his hand. “Your Majesty, regardless of this subject’s title, I am willing to satisfy your desire. In return, I beg you, please do not toy with my heart.”

Tian Chen caught Xue Lan back when he tried to leave, “Why do you assume We are toying with what we only desire from you? Once your heart rests, you will understand Our sincerity.”

“And then what?” Xue Lan turned around with a suppressed emotion on his face. “What will be the outcome of this subject giving his heart to you? I cannot bear children, I am not of Qian Jin’s blood, and I am a descendant of your enemy. Your Majesty will only be infatuated by this subject for a definite period of time until Your Majesty find other interesting individuals that spark your heart. By then, Your Majesty will abandon this subject for certain.”

“Never before have We experienced this deep frustration and agitation just being close to someone. Should you not give Us a chance?” Tian Chen kissed Xue Lan’s hand. “You said that all beings under heaven belong to Us. Why can We not have the one We desire the most?”

“The Emperor’s heart is fickle. Even if a person loves someone dearly, it is difficult for them to give their heart without trust,” Xue Lan pulled his hand away. “Your Majesty, if you desire this subject’s affection, this one will answer your command. But your advance to my heart is only tearing it more.”

Tian Chen’s chest felt heavy as he watched Xue Lan leave. He stared at his hand which was powerless towards the Qi Ming Prince, unwilling to hurt him the slightest bit.

But they weren’t what truly inflicted pain on Xue Lan.

His fist tightly clenched.

He shouldn’t rush things and prove to Xue Lan that he could trust him with his heart.

If he only wanted Xue Lan’s affection what different would it be compared to his attendant who was taking advantage of his vulnerability?

Tian Chen gazed up to the moon longingly. He never thought there would come a day when a person could ripple his soul so much.

His heart felt so full just by saying his name as if it would burst. It felt dreadfully empty not seeing him for a day that he wanted to swallow him whole.

That kiss earlier would be perfect with the prince’s response.

His thought was interrupted when Mo Shen appeared to clean the table. He stabbed him with his cold glare, wishing to truly do it with his sword.

But he knew he couldn’t since Xue Lan treasured this attendant who had been with him the longest here. He was the only one who knew how to properly tended his fragile prince.

Mo Shen looked back to Tian Chen once he finished cleaning up and smiled meaningfully, “This servant thanks you for your help, Your Majesty.”

Only once Mo Shen left did Tian Chen understand.

He gritted his teeth in despise.

22