Chapter 30
384 2 18
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The war has officially begun,” Mo Shen informed in a low voice as he dressed Xue Lan. “Tian Chen is leading the frontline despite the officials’ objection.”

“He has Xiao Hu with him to make sure he won’t die,” Xue Lan commented emotionlessly.

“The Dragon Palace is heavily guarded. I suppose they knew some Qi Ming spies were roaming around looking for something the other day,” Mo Shen glanced to a window.

“?” Xue Lan turned to where Mo Shen was looking.

The main building in the courtyard had 2 levels and an observatory floor as its rooftop. The dressing room where they were at right now was at the top level along with the sleeping chamber. Moreover, the height of the first floor was 15 meters tall.

Sure, there were wide eaves encircling each level, but it required actual skill to climb up.

Mo Shen smiled, “It seems like you have a visitor, My Lord.”

Xue Lan thought for a while and a certain man appeared in his mind. The indifference on his face slightly faded as he took brisk steps to the window.

When he looked out to the side covered by walls, he found, crouching by the eaves, a man covered in black. A hint of surprise was seen in his eyes once they met with Xue Lan’s own.

The man promptly entered. Behind him, Xue Lan shut and bolted the window.

Xue Lan turned around to say something, “You–”

But his words were cut short as the man abruptly enveloped him in a tight embrace.

Xue Lan couldn’t hide his surprise. Not only did this person come 2 weeks early, he didn’t remember him being this emotional upon their reunion either.

Yuan Zhi was a highly praised soldier in Qi Ming’s military force. A direct subordinate of the Prime General and was often assigned by his superior as a messenger and courier as well.

For Xue Lan, Yuan Zhi was his one and only friend.

In his last life, Yuan Zhi took the risk of sneaking into the imperial palace to take him away nearing Qi Ming’s defeat in the war. Unfortunately, the two of them were caught and Yuan Zhi died protecting him.

Afterwards, Tian Chen decreed his execution along with other Qi Ming’s royal family. He still remembered that day vividly since it was also the day he signed his contract with Mo Shen.

Yuan Zhi’s hold enclosed tighter and Xue Lan could feel the tremble on his body.

“My Prince…” Yuan Zhi buried his head onto Xue Lan’s shoulder as he called upon him with a shaky breath.

Xue Lan hesitantly patted Yuan Zhi’s back, “What’s wrong with you?”

Yuan Zhi shook his head weakly and straightened his back. He lowered his mask, uncovering his gentle features. His almond eyes were red and stained with tears which he roughly wiped away.

“I’m sorry. I’m very glad to see you safe and sound,” Yuan Zhi gave a small smile.

Xue Lan felt helpless. He used his sleeve to wipe a tear that managed to escape, “Too safe and sound one might say.”

“That’s not true!” Yuan Zhi caught Xue Lan’s wrist restlessly. “My Prince, we must leave while Qian Jin’s emperor is on the battlefield! It’s not apparent from a third-person view, but this war is not favourable to Qi Ming. Once Qi Ming fall, your life will be in danger.”

“Calm down, Yuan Zhi,” Xue Lan gripped Yuan Zhi’s shoulders until Yuan Zhi’s head cooled down a bit. “Right now, the safest thing for me to do is to stay here. If I try to run away, people will think I betray the Emperor which gives the officials all the more reason to get rid of me.”

Yuan Zhi couldn’t refute Xue Lan’s words but he didn’t want to accept them either, “I have prepared everything for you at the Southern Continent. We can escape at night. Neither Qi Ming nor Qian Jin will be able to reach you there. You can spend the rest of your life in peace and leisure.”

Xue Lan’s eyebrows tightened in suspicion.

Yuan Zhi also didn’t prepare this thoroughly in the past.

“My Lord,” Mo Shen whispered to Xue Lan’s ear, “I believe he is another anomaly you caused.”

Xue Lan’s eyes widened and stared at Yuan Zhi for a long time. The air felt like it stilled with an unknown tension.

“My Prince…?” Yuan Zhi’s chest inexplicably became loud.

Xue Lan reached out and touched Yuan Zhi’s abdomen, “…It’s me, Yuan Zhi.”

Yuan Zhi couldn’t register Xue Lan’s words for a brief moment until their gaze met again.

It was different.

No, he had felt something was different about this Xue Lan the moment they met again.

“Are you–” Yuan Zhi choked.

Xue Lan nodded.

Yuan Zhi tremblingly exhaled his breath he didn’t know he held. A mix of emotions stirred in his chest and the only way he could think of to express them was to hold his Prince into another suffocating embrace.

“I’m sorry, My Prince. I’m sorry for failing to free you and protect you,” Yuan Zhi couldn’t suppress the regret and guilt in his heart. “This time, I won’t let them…I won’t let it happen again.”

“It’s not your fault,” Xue Lan sighed. “I’m the one who should apologize. If it wasn’t for me–”

“Please, don’t say that!” Yuan Zhi clenched Xue Lan’s robe. “It was my own decision and I’m glad I came for you. If it wasn’t for that, right now, I would still be stuck in the future where I couldn’t save you anymore.”

“…Thank you, Yuan Zhi,” Xue Lan smiled a little.

After a few minutes passed, Mo Shen cleared his throat, “Are you going to hug until the war comes to an end?”

Xue Lan, “…”

Yuan Zhi reddened in embarrassment and hurriedly let Xue Lan go. He had noticed the good-looking man since his arrival though it was hard to believe that he was a mere attendant from his appearance.

Moreover, he could sense a very powerful yet foreign force exuding from him.

“I don’t know who you are but let me sincerely thank you for being by My Prince’s side,” Yuan Zhi saluted Mo Shen.

“I am merely doing what I was paid for,” Mo Shen said as he glanced meaningfully at Xue Lan. “Is that not right, My Lord?”

“Yes, he does not deserve your gratitude, Yuan Zhi,” Xue Lan lowered down Yuan Zhi’s salutation.

Yuan Zhi turned to Xue Lan, “My Prince, I suspected something is going on when Qian Jin’s emperor bestowed you the title of Honorable Prince. Are you planning on exacting revenge on the Emperor?”

“Not only the Emperor, but both Qian Jin and Qi Ming as a whole,” Xue Lan’s eyes cooled down.

Yuan Zhi realized something, “Then, for Qian Jin to attack first in the war this time…Was it you?”

Xue Lan gave a small nod, “I’m no longer the Xue Lan you knew in the past. Many innocent people will die but I won’t stop. The sole reason I exist right now is to bring Qian Jin and Qi Ming to hell with me.”

Seeing that Yuan Zhi responded with silence, Xue Lan wasn’t disappointed. It was best for Yuan Zhi to stay out of this. Regardless of which Yuan Zhi came to him, he wanted him to live long this time.

“Leave before this pointless war is over. Maybe go to the place you prepared on the Southern Continent. I don’t want to accidentally implicate you.”

Xue Lan was about to order Mo Shen to assist Yuan Zhi out of the imperial palace when Yuan Zhi suddenly knelt down.

“Please, don’t throw me away. It is fate that brings us back together against all impossibilities right now. After I died, I became a ghost and watched all the shame and suffering you went through. All I wish for is to stay by your side,” Yuan Zhi looked solemnly at Xue Lan. “My Prince, let me be your strength.”

“…” Xue Lan pulled Yuan Zhi up from the ground, “…Only on one condition.”

“Anything,” Yuan Zhi readily promised.

“Don’t die,” Xue Lan paused and heavily added, “...again. There won’t be a third chance.”

 Yuan Zhi softly smiled, “I won’t.”

“Good,” Xue Lan turned to Mo Shen. “We can focus on the Dragon Palace now.”

“Indeed, My Lord,” Mo Shen rubbed his chin as he looked at Yuan Zhi. “You came at a perfect time actually.”

“What can I do?” Yuan Zhi asked.

“Do you remember that painting you told me about in our last life?” Xue Lan answered with another question.

“Yes, of course,” Yuan Zhi affirmed. “Don’t tell me…”

Xue Lan gave a small nod, “We’ve obtained all three clues and deciphered two of them.”

“From there, we acquired the Dragon Palace’s secret floorplan and intended to explore it,” Mo Shen continued, “but there’s another job we need to do.”

Xue Lan’s eyes narrowed, “Finding the Empress.”

18