Chapter 35
355 3 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tian Chen almost lost his self-control when he finally saw Xue Lan again after half a month of separation.

But right now, he must act in mourning of the Empress’s death for the sake of Qian Jin’s image and reputation.

Moreover, he never delved the truth of Huang Xieli’s death to Xue Lan. Although he had emphasized that this war was for him not her, to Xue Lan’s knowledge, the assassination did happen.

Xue Lan patted Xiao Hu who almost pounced on him. Thankfully, Mo Shen stopped him on time. He then bowed to Tian Chen, “This subject congratulates the Emperor on your rightful victory.”

Tian Chen gripped his hands behind his back, suppressing his desire to pull the man in front of him into his embrace.

“Our victory would not be achieved without your assistance, Honorable Prince Xue. You have done a great deed to Qian Jin and shall be rewarded handsomely.”

Tian Chen purposefully let his words be heard. The crowd who listened in to their conversation immediately buzzed.

They had never expected the Honorable Prince to betray his nation for Qian Jin.

Did this mean he was locked up in the palace in concern for his safety? Then, was the rumour about the Emperor and the Honorable Prince in love with each other true? Or did the Honorable Prince help the Emperor because of his personal grudge?

“This subject has done nothing but prays for your safety, Your Majesty,” Xue Lan bowed deeper.

“Enough formalities. Have a seat, Honorable Prince Xue,” Tian Chen gestured at the seat next to him.

Xue Lan sat down after Tian Chen did so. His eyes shifted to the people presenting their necks to them.

Most of the people there were elderly and middle-aged princes. The councilors, ministers, and Tang Zhuo were there as well.

They all looked at him with deathly glares, possibly skinning him alive in their little pitiful minds.

At the very centre was his grandfather, the King.

The one who sacrificed his mother as well as almost all the other women in the royal family.

Including his own wife, the Queen.

The scenery overlapped with his past life memory.

At that time, he was placed right next to the King. As their heads rolled one by one, he broke his pillory from a burst of unknown strength.

It could be fear, desperation, resentment, or everything combined.

He then snatched the executioner’s blade and went on a mindless massacre. The only thing in his mind was to bring as many people to hell with him.

His main target was Tian Chen but deep down he knew it was impossible.

He intended to curse him as a ferocious ghost.

But as fate had it, the blood summoned Mo Shen to his side.

Mo Shen always had half of his attention at Xue Lan and right away noticed his master’s gaze at him. He guessed what was on his mind and smiled.

He bent down and whispered, “Recreating that scene would surely be a spectacular reward for me.”

“…”

Xue Lan almost rolled his eyes and ignored Mo Shen’s nonsense.

He wasn’t a lunatic.

Tian Chen’s fists silently clenched until his knuckles turned white.

Xue Lan’s relationship with his attendant was still as intimate as always.

“You bastard of a dog! How dare you call yourself a Xue after betraying your own nation! Your parents would be ashamed of you!” a prince shouted.

“It was a mistake to send you to Qian Jin! You should have just rot and die in your dead mother’s courtyard like your father!” a councilor followed.

“Our ancestors shall curse you to hell!”

“You shall never be reincarnated ever again!”

“Your descendants shall be met with eternal misfortune, you snake!”

Profanities and curses were thrown one after another at Xue Lan until their faces turned red and veins bulged angrily.

Only Tang Zhuo didn’t dare to open his mouth. The loud shoutings stung his ears, further reminding him of the two demons watching them.

In those demons’ eyes, they were only barking playthings.

Hearing them, Xue Lan didn’t react much. He fiddled with his fan, ridicule in his eyes. Behind him, Mo Shen chuckled softly.

Bark all they want. Xue Lan already cursed himself directly with a demon anyway.

Still, Mo Shen would be ashamed of himself if he let these insults slide.

Tian Chen was about to order the soldiers to silence them when Mo Shen stepped forward from behind Xue Lan’s seat and walked down the stand. He made a beeline to the execution stage under everybody’s eyes and snatched the blade from the executioner.

Without a word, he stabbed the prince who initiated the rain of insults first. Instead of beheading him, Mo Shen simply slashed his gut open to let him bleed to his painful death.

“Now, now, who was it that spoke the second?” Mo Shen scanned the people and smiled at the crowds charmingly. “Would someone be kind enough to remind me?”

The glint in his eyes were sinister but his smile made him look poisonously alluring.

In a daze, some of them pointed at the councilor. Mo Shen swiftly cut his stomach open and moved on to the next one.

The soldiers were dumbfounded at the scene, including Yang Huo and Li Feng who were on the site.

Yang Huo knew that Mo Shen was a dangerous individual, but he didn’t think it was to this extent.

They all hesitantly turned to Tian Chen, waiting for his order.

For Tian Chen, this execution wasn’t about him. Looking at Xue Lan’s soft and appreciative eyes, he wanted nothing but to be the one who was swinging the blade around right now.

Xue Lan spectated in satisfaction as the abominations behind Qi Ming nation writhed in pain.

Their death was slow and painful, painting the stage red until the fishy smell of their dangling guts permeated the air.

As expected of a demon. Mo Shen was very skilful in killing humans.

The last one was the King who was struggling to break himself out of his pillory.

“I suppose you are my master’s grandfather however repulsive you are,” Mo Shen rested the blade down. “Tell me– No, tell us, what are your children and grandchildren for you? Pawns? Livestock? Trade items?”

“What are they to me?” the King inexplicably laughed. “Of course, they are gifts from god for me to use! Your Honorable Prince will receive retribution for betraying Qi Ming and being unfaithful to god! He shall die a miserable death and have his body and soul feasted and defiled by demons!”

Xue Lan and Mo Shen, “…”

How should they say it, this guy was actually hitting the right spot.

Tian Chen ran out of patience and ordered Li Feng, “Cut off his tongue.”

Li Feng was stunned, “N-now…Your Majesty?”

Tian Chen’s eyelids coldly lowered.

Li Feng gulped and was about to do as he was ordered when his shoulder was held back. To his surprise, Yang Huo was behind him.

He gave him a meaningful look and went to the execution stage in his stead.

Mo Shen saw Yang Huo approaching and opened a slit on the King’s gut before returning to Xue Lan’s side.

Not many people in the crowd were mentally strong enough to watch the bloody extraction of the King’s tongue. They were all reminded once again how ruthless their Emperor actually was.

Once it was done, Tian Chen ordered the soldiers to hang their bodies, dead or half-dead, above the city gate. Along with them were the war prisoners who were hung at the outer side of the wall.

Tian Chen stood up to leave and all the people present knelt down in reverence and fear.

Xue Lan also got up and silently followed behind Tian Chen. When they passed the pool of blood, he couldn’t resist stepping on it and watched his blood footprints trailing behind him.

Mo Shen thought it was cute.

It was then Xue Lan noticed Yuan Zhi hiding in the crowd. He subtly nodded at him.

Yuan Zhi nodded back with a smile and disappeared from sight.

Xue Lan heard a click from Mo Shen’s tongue and looked at him.

Before he could say anything though, they reached Tian Chen’s carriage and Tian Chen offered him to return to the palace together.

With a glance from him, Xiao Hu leapt forward and ‘kidnapped’ him. They rushed off with Mo Shen following closely behind.

Tian Chen, “…”

Instead of entering the carriage, he mounted the nearest horse and left the soldiers and guards behind.

Arriving at the imperial palace, those who saw him knelt down as he passed by them. He went straight to Xue Lan’s courtyard.

As he expected, the man was stroking the beast’s fur, seemingly rewarding it for its hard work.

He could only imagine how comfortable those slender fingers were from the purring of the beast.

He stepped closer and reached out to caress a lock of Xue Lan’s hair, “Xue Lan…”

Mo Shen knowingly brought Xiao Hu away.

Once they were gone, Tian Chen held Xue Lan from behind. He sighed upon feeling his heat and smelling his fragrance.

“I miss you,” Tian Chen tightened his hold.

Xue Lan’s lips curved a smile, “Welcome home, Your Majesty.”

20