Chapter 38
339 0 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tian Chen paced back and forth in Huang Xieli’s hidden residence behind the waterfall.

Zhou Ye’s plan was to spread fake secret information around the palace to alert the traitor. If they heard that the Empress had left a clue in her residence as to who they were, they wouldn’t have any choice but to check whether they believed it or not.

And only they would think to check the safe house.

Meanwhile, Mo Shen watched the two people’s confrontation in the pavilion. Judging from Xue Lan’s responses, it seemed like he didn’t need any interference.

One could say he was enjoying it.

Xue Lan was indeed enjoying the current situation. He initially didn’t want his plans and true nature to be discovered but things became boring lately.

Yuan Zhi was only a human and wasn’t as flawless as Mo Shen. Not that it was his fault to begin with since this general had most likely kept his eyes on him for quite a while.

It was impressive how he didn’t let any of his suspicions slip out. Probably because he knew how head over heels Tian Chen was towards him.

If he voiced out his thoughts, Tian Chen would possibly send him out to the border or something.

Now that it had come to this, he should let this general humour him for the next two months.

Mo Shen was really a bad influence on him.

“Sly tongue. I expected no less,” Zhou Ye’s eyes narrowed. “What are your intentions? Your nation’s destruction was clearly your agenda. I won’t be surprised if you plan the same end to Qian Jin.”

“General Zhou, I have no such plans–”

Zhou Ye tightened his choke, “You think I can’t kill you right now?”

“You can’t,” Xue Lan hoarsely said. “Whether you want to or not.”

Zhou Ye was ready to risk everything to prove Xue Lan wrong when the man in front of him smiled ominously.

“My death will instantly destroy Qian Jin.”

Zhou Ye frowned. He could sense that Xue Lan wasn’t just bluffing.

He loosened his grip and thrashed Xue Lan aside, “What do you mean by those words? Speak!”

Xue Lan choked from the sudden air intake and coughed for a while. He leaned onto the post he was just choked on.

His languid posture gave a very different air around him than his usual nobility. The full moon behind him veiled his face beneath a layer of shadow, masking his mysterious expression.

“You don’t really think I will tell you, do you, General?” Xue Lan raised his bloodied arm and studied it under the moonlight.

“I have plenty of ways to force it out from you without killing you,” Zhou Ye swung his sword.

Just as it was about to cut into Xue Lan’s shoulder, a prominent hand blocked its advance. It caught the blade with its thumb and middle finger like it was nothing but a toy.

Zhou Ye shifted his sight to see the rumoured attendant smiling at him.

“And I have him to prevent all your ways,” Xue Lan spread open his fan and swayed it back and forth mindlessly.

“Good grief,” Mo Shen flicked the sword away and pushed Zhou Ye back a few steps. “As much as I love watching my master play, let’s agree that one injury is the limit, hm?”

Zhou Ye could hear his danger alarm blaring in his nerves, “Who are you? Where do you truly hail from?”

“Let’s just say I came from a very hot place,” Mo Shen huddled Xue Lan’s waist to him. “I am but my beloved master’s dog.”

“General Zhou, I believe our meeting ends here,” Xue Lan curved a smile. “Don’t worry. I’ve made sure the Emperor won’t discover your lie. Let’s be kind to each other, shall we?”

Mo Shen politely gestured to the exit, “General, if you may.”

Zhou Ye clenched his jaw indignantly but there was indeed nothing he could do right now to the pair of snakes. He couldn’t make a move before knowing what Xue Lan meant by his earlier threat.

He left with a raging chest.

“Will he tell the Emperor?” Mo Shen curiously asked.

“It is unlikely. We all know he won’t believe it anyway,” Xue Lan showed his wound. “I can also use this to get him in trouble as well.”

Mo Shen caught his wrist and brought the bloodied arm to his lips.

He stuck out his tongue and licked the blood from Xue Lan’s elbow up to the jarring cut. His eyes never left Xue Lan’s own.

Xue Lan’s finger twitched, “Are you a dog?”

Mo Shen smirked handsomely, “Woof.”

Xue Lan, “…”

Mo Shen’s eyes narrowed and licked the blood clean as he continued to bark. Xue Lan felt like he was entering dangerous territory of arousal.

“I wonder,” Mo Shen wrapped Xue Lan’s arm with a clean bandage from who-knows-where, “can you make the Emperor bark for you, My Lord?”

Xue Lan hooked his arm onto Mo Shen’s neck as he carried him up, “Are you challenging me?”

“Will it not be entertaining for both of us to bet how much you can make the Emperor lower himself to you?” Mo Shen grinned.

Xue Lan couldn’t help but inwardly agreed it would be fun, “…You’re really a bad influence on me.”

“I am a demon after all,” Mo Shen chuckled proudly.

They returned back to Xue Lan’s residence and finalized their game as they reached the sleeping chamber.

While Mo Shen undressed and wiped his master as usual, he noticed that Xue Lan was observing him.

He gave him a peck on his lips.

Xue Lan was caught off guard, “…What was that for?”

“I thought you were inviting me?” Mo Shen raised an eyebrow.

“No?” Xue Lan was baffled.

“Then what are you staring at me with a passionate gaze for?” Mo Shen slowed his speed down as he dressed Xue Lan into his sleeping robe.

“You’re hallucinating.”

“Am I?” Mo Shen lowered his voice in temptation. “I’ll gladly quench your thirst anytime, My Lord.”

“My thirst or yours?” Xue Lan rolled his eyes. “Hurry up, I’m tired.”

Mo Shen obediently picked up his pace and sent Xue Lan to bed.

After he turned off the light, Xue Lan suddenly asked.

“What happens after my soul is eaten?”

“You’ll become my life force,” Mo Shen answered truthfully. “But as to what you as a soul will experience, that’s impossible for me to know.”

“I see…” Xue Lan stared at the silhouette of his hand on the bedsheet.

Mo Shen stared at Xue Lan’s back behind the sheers, “Are you afraid?”

“Maybe,” Xue Lan contemplated on his current emotions.

Not hearing any reply from Mo Shen, Xue Lan closed his eyes.

But then, he heard the rustle of the sheer and the bed sunk behind him. He was gently pulled into a cold embrace.

“Our time may be the shortest compared to my previous contractors but you are definitely the best thus far. I doubt that I will get summoned by someone as interesting and cute as you in the future,” Mo Shen kissed Xue Lan’s nape. “So let’s keep this play while it lasts, hm? You’re my master and I’m your loyal servant.”

“A servant wouldn’t normally climb onto their master’s bed,” Xue Lan commented.

“And all you have to do is order me to leave,” Mo Shen rubbed Xue Lan’s hand with his thumb.

“…”

Minutes passed in tranquil silence.

Xue Lan waited for Mo Shen to laugh or chuckle as usual, but none was heard.

Mo Shen buried his face in Xue Lan’s soft hair.

Humans were flawed and fragile, each in their own unique ways. Some accepted it, some hid it, and most didn’t realize it.

His current master was no exception it seemed. 

Even still, his vulnerable side was also cute.

“Do you still remember all your previous masters?” Xue Lan asked another question.

“Are you afraid of being forgotten?” Mo Shen guessed.

“Rather than afraid…I am anxious.”

“Of the unknown?”

Xue Lan nodded.

“Do you regret it? Entering a contract with me?”

“No,” Xue Lan unhesitantly answered. “Perhaps, it’s the best decision I’ve made.”

Mo Shen was silent for a brief moment before a faint smile appeared.

Xue Lan was indeed different from the other humans he made contracts with.

“I shall do my best to protect that opinion of yours until the very end.”

“Then you should stop demanding rewards from me,” Xue Lan scoffed.

“I’m afraid that’s unnegotiable,” Mo Shen let out a small laugh.

The two of them fell quiet once more until Mo Shen felt Xue Lan’s breathing gradually evened. He tossed in his sleep and turned to face him after an hour passed.

Mo Shen tidied up Xue Lan’s hair to see his sleeping face. He gradually leaned closer and pressed their forehead together.

“Don’t worry,” Mo Shen lowly spoke with a smile, “I adore you too much.”

22