Chapter 2: Signs
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

"Ah, that’s much better". Roger puts the fork down. "Let the bacon soak up the alcohol, and some coffee to wash it down.” after finishing his meal and taking care of the dishes. He went outside to the nearest newspaper stand across the street.

"Ah Mr. Roger, starting the day late as usual I see." greeted the man beside the stand. Roger raised his hand" nice to see you, Steve. got any new reads available?" Steve smiled and said "yes, Blackwater just published their annual myth and mysteries catalog this morning. I put a copy of it in your usual." Roger brush his hand towards the stack and checked. The Seimlens daily journal, the Full moon church's weekly journal featuring Father Hedley Weekes, Night raven’s tales and conspiracies, and a copy of the annual Blackwater catalog. "Here, your total is 35 silver including the mysteries catalog. "Steve handed him the receipt
Roger paid the money to Steve. "Thanks, hmm... if I remember correctly it's that time of the year now for the new batch of academics to graduate, your daughter should be one of them right? how about dropping by the shop, look and see if there is anything you could buy there to give her."

"oh right Mr., Roger, that's a great idea. they grow up so fast, I'm so proud of her, I can probably spare some money to buy her a token to remember me by. I will stop by when I have time." Steve nodded " alright, these papers won't sale them self, have a Nice day Mr. Roger."

returning to the shop, roger saw a lady waiting by the door, he quickened his stride. " My apologies madam for making you wait. give me a couple of minutes to open the shop", he quickly enter the shop and set aside the papers he was holding by the register. flipping the sign hanging the door to open, he greeted the lady. " sorry for the delay, welcome to the pawn shop how may I help you?"

the lady, looking a bit taken aback due to roger's action, entered the shop and said. "it is alright, I did not wait too long." she puts down the small box she was holding on the table and said, " I would like to sell my necklace, I inherited it from my grandmother, its in been in my family for at least 4 generations, and I intended to use the money on my husband's medical fees, I'm not sure what type of Gem is on it but are would you willing to buy it for 300 gold?"

putting his hand on his chin, roger opened the box and examined the necklace. " interesting, the gem imbued on it is a type Demononite, this gems can go for 10 to 1200 gold depending on the grade." taking a magnifying glass out of the drawer. after a couple of minutes, he placed the necklace back in the box and looked at the lady. " Demononites are graded from a1 to a4, the high being a1 which cost about 1000 to 1200 gold, and the lowest being a4 which cost about 10 to 120 gold." hearing this the lady gasp with anticipation and said " what would be the grade of the gem on my grandmother's necklaces then?" roger took a second to reply " its an a4 grade azurite madam, the highest I would pay for it is 15 gold"

15 minutes later.

roger watched the lady leave with a disappointed face. he thought to himself "in the end I had to pay 30 gold for it." he pauses" it is probably true that she needed the money to pay for her husband's medical fees." he opens the box and carefully examines the necklaces. "her grandmother was probably a demon or a Halfling and her granddaughter probably had some demon blood in her" he places the necklaces back in the box. " since Demononites are special gems used by demons to extract the life force of humans" roger placed the box in the display case which contained many similar types of boxes. " it should be safe to keep it here"


Roxy held her head with her hand, she did not know how long she was unconscious and she could only remember that before the incident, a horde of protestors swarmed the car pushing it against the road resulting in it too crashed, killing the driver and flipping over.

she struggled but was able to escape the car. she dragged herself away from the crash site and hid in the bushes, just in case the protestor haven't given up. she remained still for 15 minutes and decide to lean against a tree to check her condition.

"Just cuts and a broken leg," She thought to herself. taking the phone out of her pocket, she tried to contact any emergency service but she could not get any reception. she sighed. " What the hell were those things, those people weren't ordinary protestors."

Minutes before the incident, along the way to the hotel, after finishing up the inspection at the factory, the driver notified her that a horde of protestors was chasing after the car, he suggested taking an alternative route through discreet 12.
"How could ordinary people be able to catch up and crash a car that fast" Roxy clutched her phone and got up. " if move now I might be able to sneak pass them and reach the nearest police station."


 

"Sir Charles, the area has been seal by an unknown force, nothing can get in and nothing can get out. I suggest raising the alert and to contact the church for assistance."

hello it ryujii, comments and feedback are always appreciated

1