Chapter 3 – Mary’s Passing
116 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The elegant senior citizen held the head of the vampire nun high and looked directly in her eyes with a deathly glare and said, "Who sent you?"

The head stared blankly into the air, lifeless. But this only served to anger the old man the more, "I said, who sent you?"

The lifeless head felt a sudden pressure and her expression changed from surprise to complete fear.

…That old man seems more like a monster than the vampire. Thankfully, he doesn't look like an enemy. Otherwise, I doubt I could get out of this alive. And what was that feeling I felt earlier? What… What's happening? My eyes… are… closing… Timothy fell back asleep.

The old man had a scar across his left eye and groomed a properly trimmed goatee with a cold expression that seemed to be glued to his face.

The vampire nun stuttered, "I-I-I was sent by the upper echelon of–– aaaaahhhhhhh…" Purple flame started from the tongue and engulfed her head. The old man reflexively let go of the head before the flames could touch his hand. The purple flames speedily turned the head into ashes. Without needing contact from the head, purple flames also engulfed the headless body and turned it into ashes in less than a second.

He squinched his eyes and uttered, "Rune magic, isn't it?"

"Infiltrated the Church of the Holy Mother of Life and even got through their ranks just for this moment? To kill the newly born child? This wouldn't have been achieved with only 9 months of preparation. Hmm… There's no way it's that simple. But the princess' safety takes priority." The old man put his sword back in its sheath and went over to Mary.

Boom! The door was broken down and several troops stormed into the room alongside Duke Edward Lurgan.

"Viscount Maxton! How did you…" Duke Lurgan and the guards were surprised to see the Viscount. They were on the highest floor of the Duke's mansion.

"I have taken care of the problem. Madame needs immediate medical attention. Make sure the medical persons are trusted and known people from the hospital. I don't want to see anyone from The Temple." Viscount Maxton carefully carried Mary with her baby and headed for the door. The Temple was a common nickname for the Church of the Holy Mother of Life.

"What are you waiting for?! Do as he said! Get them here as quick as you can!" Duke Lurgan screamed at the troops and went to see Mary in Viscount Maxton's arms.

"Mary! Mary! Here, drink this…" Duke Lurgan took out a small bottle from his pocket and poured it into her mouth.

"Don't worry, you'll be fine. This is Holy Water created by the Pope himself." He said, trying to reassure Mary but mostly himself.

Viscount Maxton looked at Edward with a slight hint of annoyance at the sight of the holy water. Viscount Maxton knew why he was here and so did Duke Lurgan. The former was to take away the child Mary birthed out of wedlock, or so it seemed. Viscount Maxton had known and served Mary's father. The latter was the previous Emperor and the Viscount was a personal bodyguard and butler till he was granted peerage due to his loyalty to the Imperial family.

The trio got to another room and Viscount Maxton laid Mary on the bed with the newborn child in her arms and said, "Her breathing is slowing down."

Duke Lurgan stuttered, "Wh-Wh-What do you mean? The holy water should be working by now."

"Her wounds are healing but she's dying. It seems as though her life force is depleting."

"Lifeforce?! But, But I just gave her holy water! How is she still dying?"

"It is impossible to supply life force. Her vitality was greatly reduced because of childbirth and the physical and mental trauma from the attack earlier was much. But such rapid life force depletion is rare. I feel the problem comes from her will to live isn't enough to combat the life force depletion."

"So are you just telling me to watch her die?! Mary! Open your eyes!" Duke Lurgan reached for his pocket again and took out another vessel filled with holy water and forced it into Mary's mouth.

"Sh*t! Where are the doctors that were sent for?! Viscount Maxton! Why are you so calm?! Can't you see the girl you watched grow up is about to die?!"

Viscount Maxton stared at Duke Lurgan and spoke with a calm rage, "Her will to live isn't strong enough. And 'will-to-live is something that goes down gradually due to mental and emotional factors. This means she was probably contemplating suicide before now. I wonder whose fault that is."

Edward wanted to retort but the cat got his tongue. He knew Viscount Maxton was only tolerant of him because he respects Mary above anyone else. Else, it won't be far-fetched to see him end up headless like the vampire nun, after all, he did to Mary because of her so-called 'infidelity'.

"Her life force is reduced because of this bastard! He's cursed! It's because of this bastard this tragedy has come upon us! Before its conception everything was fine!" Edward picked the baby up carelessly by the towels used to wrap him with one hand.

Viscount Maxton placed his hand on the handle of his sword and said coldly, "It seems the vampire bewitched the Duke and he is trying to murder the lady and her child. In that case, I will have to do things in a way I see most appropriate."

Viscount Maxton slowly removed the sword from its sheath. Edward heard him loud and clear and carefully dropped the child beside Mary back. Viscount Maxton's words were more than a threat. They would be the reason he will give to the Empire on why he had to put Duke Lurgan down. And for someone that pledged his loyalty to the Empire and even gained peerage because of it, his decision to end Duke Lurgan's life will be considered a noble one. Even though he gets sentenced to execution, he won't mind as long as he was able to protect Lady Mary and her child from the Duke.

"Ugh…" Mary groaned lightly and opened her eyes. Her face and skin were pale. As her eyes landed on Edward she lifted her hand to his face and caressed his face.

"Mary! Mary! I'm sorry about everything…" Edward was suddenly interrupted by Mary as she said, "Edward, I know how… cough… much you love me. And how much you hate this child…

"You were so heartbroken, but… I swear… cough… this child is a gift to me from the Holy Mother. He is going to do great things and save the world from a great calamity…" Mary coughed profusely and the energy in her voice reduced gradually, "I… I… was never unfaithful. I'm sorry. And Walter, I'm sorry for having you take care of my son. Cough… his name is William."

"Mary! Please don't say things like that. You need to stay alive and take care of your son yourself! I will treat him as my blood! I promise! Just, don't die! Please!" Edward held Mary's held with both of his hands. His eyes were reddening.

Mary chuckled weakly and smiled. Slowly, her breathing stopped. Mary was dead.

8