Chapter 2
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Erin sits on a stump a few meters away from the house. She dunks a rag into the bucket of lukewarm water and scrubs herself off before raising the bucket and dumping it over her head. Erin isn’t fully naked, as there is little privacy in the colony. Reaching for a towel, she dries herself and stands up from the stump, walking up the skinny dirt path toward the house. 

 

“Oh. Erin.” She looks over to see Scout on the porch, about to knock on the door. “I was just looking for you.”

 

“What’s up, Scout?” Erin jogs up the stairs and pushes past Scout and into the house. Scout follows after her toward Erin’s bedroom.

 

“I--I…” She trails off, causing Erin to look back at her to see her nervously gripping her arm.

 

“Are you alright, Scout?” Erin turns to face her fully in concern.

 

“You’re going to leave soon, right?”

 

Erin nods. “I need to get changed and head out.”

 

Scout’s eyes cast downward as she scuffs her boots on the wood floor. She finally speaks again, this time in a whisper. “Can I come?”

 

“No. No way. Not to Denver.” Erin’s voice becomes stern.

 

“Come on.” Scout pouts. “I’m older now, and I can fight better now. How am I supposed to do any better if you won’t let me come and learn?” Scout became more passionate as she speaks. “What if something bad happens, and I need to protect Skye and Bailey and Rylan?” 

 

Erin sighs, putting her arm against the wall. She tucks her head into the crook of the arm as she makes her decision. Scout watches her expectantly. 

 

“Fine.” Erin finally looks up as she gave her answer. “But you listen to every word I say. No exceptions.”

 

“Yes!” Scout jumps, fist-bumping the air.

 

“Go put something else on, Scout. Boots with treads, long pants, and pull your hair back.”

 

“Sure thing!” Scout yells out once more before running out of the house. Erin sighed before turning back to her room.

----

The two pull up to the gates of a large fortified area. Tall watchtowers surround the property. Scout counts at least eight of them in total. The area around the walls was quiet. She wonders if the people behind the wall did a good job of clearing out the infected.

 

“We were sent by an NCR caravan.” Erin yells up to the tower. “Mercenaries were requested.”

 

Promptly, the gate is opened. A couple of people with guns come to greet them, directing Erin in front of the hospital. The two ride towards the large building, driving slowly. Erin can’t help but notice how well the colony is doing. Strong walls, crops in the fields as far as the walls go, horses roaming in a large field, healthy-looking people walking around doing their duties. She thinks to herself how she wouldn’t mind moving her family to a colony like this, where life could be easier for them. But she would always worry about the colony being a bigger target compared to their small colony. She eventually comes to the conclusion that she wouldn’t want to move them, even if winters in the mountains are hard.

 

Erin turns the bike off as they arrive at the front of the hospital. She waits for Scout to dismount before swinging her leg over. “Stay with the bike until I get this figured out.” She steps towards the reinforced doors before stopping. “Show me you have your pistol.”

 

“I already did.” Scout pouts.

 

“Humor me, Scout.” Scout sighs before lifting up her shirt slightly, showing off the pistol in its holster. “Thank you.” Erin continues towards the door where two armed guards stand. She repeats herself to the guard about being a mercenary before they open the door and allow her in. 

 

“I’ll show you the way.” One of the guards starts walking, leading Erin.

 

“You’ve done a good job with this place. I’m impressed.” She admits to the guard, who faces her with a smile.

 

“Our leaders were quick with setting this place up.” He nods. “After the outbreak…well, I suppose, after the quarantine zones fell. This place was a hospital before the outbreak. We cleared most of the rooms for apartments, but there are still medical spaces. It holds over a thousand alone. We also have a sister colony down by the dam that provides power to us.”

 

“Sounds like a sweet deal.”

 

“It is.” He chuckles before stopping. “Here we are.” The guard motions towards a door.

 

“Would you be willing to watch my bike and send the girl next to it up here?”

 

“Can do.” He nodded.

 

Erin watches him walk off before opening the door and walking in. There were men already here, some heavily armored and prepared for a fight. Erin walks over and pulls out a chair before sitting down. There are two maps set out on the table, one of downtown Denver and one of an amusement park.

 

“Who invited the cunt?” One of the men curses loud enough for her to hear before spitting on the linoleum. 

 

Erin ignores him, standing up from the chair to inspect the maps. After a few moments, Scout and another man in N.C.R. garb come in. The both of them are smiling. Erin pushes a chair out for Scout who readily took it.

 

“You must be Erin.” The N.C.R. man holds his hand out to her. “I’m Hsu.”

 

Erin shakes his hand before sitting back down. “You’re correct. Erin.”

 

Hsu walks to the other end of the table and takes a seat at the head spot that has been left open. “This’ll probably be all that show up, but if any show up later, I’ll give them the same information.”

 

“We can’t bring some damned little girl with us.” The man who cursed earlier turns angrily toward Erin. He was mostly bald with a large black beard, looking like a pre-Fall biker.

 

“She can handle herself.” Erin speaks calmly, looking over at the man. “She’ll be a help, not a hindrance.”

 

“Oh, so I’m supposed to trust a bitch just because she uses big words?” The man growls, making his sexism all too apparent. 

 

“Please.” Hsu speaks up. “Calm down and take a seat so we can go over the job.”

 

“Fine.” The man spits once more, glaring at Erin before taking a seat.

 

“We should do some quick introductions first. My name is Hsu. I am a Lieutenant in the New California Republic. Your turn.” He turns towards the bald hyper-salivating man.

 

“You must be shittin’ me. This isn’t Kindergarten.” Erin’s eyes scan over him, noting an old-looking scar. Maybe even older than the infection.

 

“Blake.” The man sitting next to him raises his voice. “And he’s Jarett. We’re brothers who work throughout No Man’s Land.” Erin couldn’t help but to notice the age difference and dissimilar features, leading her to wonder if they were actually related. 

 

“I’m Buster. I’m a bounty hunter. I often work for the NCR.” The man next to him leaned forwards on the table. Erin notices his prosthetic arm, causing him to chuckle as he watches Erin. “No need to worry. I can still handle a gun fine.” 

 

Erin nods before looking at the next man who speaks. “Raze.” He talks with a large smile on his face. “I’m the best mercenary this side of the Mississippi and the other side, for that matter.”

 

Erin raises an eyebrow at him but keeps her comments to herself. Everyone turns to her and Scout, waiting for their introductions. “Erin and Scout.” She simply explains, leaving it at that.

 

“Great.” Hsu smiles. “Let’s get on with the details now.”

----

Erin and Scout are eating their provided dinner in the food court. The food isn’t special, just some beef and gravy on toast, but enough to give them strength for tomorrow. Erin watches as Scout scarfs the food down. “Slow up, Scout, or you’ll get a stomach ache.”

 

Scout only stops to stick her tongue out at Erin before resuming her eating. Erin looks up to see Hsu sit down next to them. He sets a jar of honey and crackers in front of them with a smile. “My mom lives here. She’s a beekeeper and makes the best honey. I was wondering if you’d like some.”

 

Scout's eyes widen as she quickly opens up the lidded jar and starts tasting the sweet substance. She mutters a thank you in between breaths.

 

“How’re you in the NCR if your mom lives here? Or how did your mom end up out here instead of the NCR?” Erin asks as she dips a cracker in the honey.

 

“I joined before the outbreak.” He shrugs. “I’m just lucky my troop is often in this area, allowing me to see my mom.”

 

“Must be nice.” 

 

The two chat as Scout eats until her stomach hurts. Hsu walks them up to their apartment for the night before saying a goodnight to the both of them before disappearing down the dimly lit hallway.

 

“Nice digs.” Erin looks around the converted hospital room. “Better than most places I sleep on the road.”

 

Scout groaned, letting Erin know she was in no mood for anything but sleep. Erin smiles slightly and guides her to the bed, removing her boots before tucking her in.

----

 In the early morning, they ride the lent horses through the once-suburbs of Denver, heading towards the amusement park. Erin notes how few infected they’ve seen so far, wondering if the colony goes out on hunting parties to clear the infected. A dangerous but useful tactic. 

 

Erin turns her attention toward the draft horses pulling the wagon in front of them. They’re larger, more sturdy horses without the same speed as a normal horse, lending them well to the carriage pulling, and, as far as Hsu told them, they need the extra carrying power.

 

“Erin. Look.” Scout points to their left at an aged billboard next to the aquarium. “It says you can meet mermaids!”

 

“Not real ones.” Erin answers, shaking her head. “Just people dressed in costumes.”

 

“Still would be cool.” Scout says under her breath, not wanting to admit to Erin she thought they could be real. After all, zombies were once thought to be just a myth. 

 

The band of horses turns into the parking lot and up to the gates of the amusement park. There is little fanfare for such a cool place, or at least Scout thinks so. She would kill to be able to have seen something like this running. Everyone dismounts their horse and approaches the steel gating, keeping the place locked down.

 

Hsu walks over to the gate and tries to pull it open to no avail before turning towards the group. “It looks like it’s locked from the inside. Look for some way to get in there.”

 

They begin looking around before a gunshot rings out, causing everyone to look in that direction. Raze ducks into the shot-out window and slips inside.

 

“You okay?” Erin asks a cringing Scout after she removes her hands from her ears.

 

Scout nods. “I guess.”

 

“Let’s hope no infected decide to show up because of that.” Erin shakes her head. 

 

A few moments later, there was another loud noise as the gates is pulled up. Everyone helps as they get the horses inside before propping it open with a rolling souvenir stand. They began looking around the area, getting a feel of their surroundings. Scout pulls at Erin’s arm, showing her a cache of t-shirts she found collecting dust.

 

“Can I take a few for the kids?”

 

“Take whatever, as long as you can carry it.” Erin shrugs, knowing a few toys won’t slow them down. Scout goes through the store, picking up things that are still in decent shape and putting them into the saddlebags.

 

They head back outside, now on the other side of the fence, after getting the other gate open. In front of them was what they came for: the carousel. 

 

“Remember. We need the one with the two white horses and an attached carriage.” Hsu begins walking around before stopping. “Here. This one.”

 

“This shit is boring.” Raze scoffs, leaning lazily against the wall as the rest of the mercenaries head over to Hsu. “I should be off somewhere else risking my life, fighting off a thousand zeds by myself.”

 

“Come on.” Hsu speaks up, turning the mercenaries’ attention back to him. “Let’s get it off and loaded up in the wagon.” 

 

They take the saws and begin cutting away at the poles to free it from the base. “Why does someone want this?” Jarrett asks, his voice strained.

 

“Some rich guy said his wife used to ride these when she was a little girl. She always loved them, and this is where they met. She’s dying now, apparently, and wants to give them as a gift.” Hsu explains as they continue working. “Seems kinda sweet to me.”

 

“We’re getting paid, so no reason to complain.” Erin shrugs slightly, glancing over at Scout, who was currently taking in the sight of the large roller-coasters around her.

 

“‘Nough talking.” Blake barks. “Let’s just get this damn thing out of here.”

----

Everyone lets out a sigh of relief as they load the last part of the carriage. Erin wipes the sweat from her forehead with her shirt. Scout notices the men’s eyes on her as she does, a shiver running down her spine.

 

“We should search the area while we’re here. See if there’s anything the colony should know about.” Hsu suggested. “We should split up.”

 

“Come on.” Erin places her hand on Scout’s shoulder, walking away from the group once they decide who would go in which direction.

 

“This place is awesome, Erin. I wish I could’ve been here when it was working.” Scout smiles widely as she frantically looks around her, wanting to see everything she can.

 

“Wait.” Erin put her hand out, stopping Scout, who looks in front of them, seeing the infected Erin was alerting her of. Erin takes out her knife, prompting Scout to do the same. “Remember what to do?”

 

“Yeah.” Scout quietly answers. ”Kick them in the knee, stab them in the brain.”

 

Erin nods, giving her a thumbs up before signaling her to move. They approach the first two undead and easily take them down with their strategy. Erin doesn’t need to kick their knees, though, as she’s as tall as or taller than the hunched-over zombies.

 

“Nice job.” Erin compliments Scout as the last one falls. Erin wipes her knife on her arm bracer before putting it back away. 

 

They continue on their path, stopping at a large colorful roller-coaster. Erin continued on as Scout stops, staring up at the ride, causing Erin to turn around and question her. 

 

“I wanna go.”

 

“That’s not really looking for supplies.” Erin tries to reason before she shook her head and smiles. “But alright. Come on.”

 

They hop over the chain, followed by the railing up to the loading area. Scout touches the roller-coaster seats, tempted to climb in, before looking back at Erin.

 

“I wonder what they were like. Before the Fall.”

 

“Never go the chance to see them for myself.” Erin shakes her head, looking away at the river on the other side of the fence. “Mom never had enough time or money for shit like this.” When she looks back, Scout was already gone, walking up the tight passage up the roller-coaster track.

 

Erin sighed before following her, making it to the top before they stop. Scout sits down, her legs dangling off the edge, stories above the ground. From there, they have a perfect view of the fallen city, one you can’t get anywhere else.

 

“If this thing breaks and we die, you know we’ll never hear the end of it from your brother.”

 

Scout laughs before becoming serious again. She sighs and looks over at the city dramatically. Erin leans against the railing next to her, looking into the distance. “What’s up, Scout?”

 

“I…finally got my period. You weren’t there, so I told Skye. She was so excited about it she even baked me a cake. A terrible one. And then told half the colony.”

 

Erin shakes her head. “I’m sorry, Scout. Skye’s always been a gossip. Use to tell mom every time I did something, just to get me grounded.” Erin looks down at Scout, touching the top of her head gently. “She shouldn’t’ve done that. It’s your private information, and I’m sorry she shared it.” Erin pauses for a moment, sighing. “Be careful now, Scout. With sex, I mean.”

 

“Sex.” Scout sticks her tongue out in disgust.

 

Erin laughs, ruffling Scout’s hair slightly. “That’s not such a bad attitude to have. You don’t want to make the same mistake Skye has.”

 

“I know.”

 

“Alright.” Erin nods, removing her hand. “I’m going to search below. Come down when you’re ready.” She climbs down and walks around the surrounding area, careful not to go too far without Scout. Erin finds game booths and begins to go through them, looking for anything of value, seeing nothing but decaying stuffed toys until she finds a package of stars that claim to glow in the dark. She takes them and stuffs them away, planning to give them to Scout later.

 

Scout finds Erin, and they start back to where the horses are, having finished their search. Partway there, they hear yelling and run over to find Raze shouting at an old man, spread out in front of double doors, trying to block the entrance from him. Blake and Jarett are there too. Jarett is trying to pull Raze away. Erin glances over at Scout, seeing her slowly pulling her pistol out.

 

“What’s going on?” Erin turns her attention back to the men. She is hit with the rotting smell of flesh, covering her face with her shirt.

 

“This freak has hundreds of infected in there.” Raze points towards the door.

 

“Sure smells like it.” Erin nods.

 

“Please.” The old man begs. “Just leave. I’m not doing anything wrong. I just care for them. Feed them. Animals. They’re still humans somewhere in there. They’re no harm to anyone. Just leave. Please.”

 

“He’s crazy!” Raze yells again. “They’re dangerous! He’s just waiting to release them.”

 

“He’s right.” Hsu speaks calmly as he approaches, having heard previous parts of the conversation. “If there are as many as he says in there, it could be a risk to the colony.”

 

“We’re in no place to fight that many infected.” Erin points out.

 

“Cunt’s right.” Blake agrees.

 

“Fuck this.” Raze bolts from Jarett’s grasp. Without a moment’s passing, he shoots the old man in the chest. The sound causes the infected to get agitated as the door crashed open, tossing the man away from it. The infected began to rush out.

 

“Run.” Erin grabs Scout’s shoulder as everyone began to run. They can hear the old man screaming as he was being torn apart. Most of the group had a gap between them and the infected, but Raze lags behind, getting grabbed by the zombies and pulled to the ground. He yells out as one bites into his leg.

 

Erin stops to shoot, but Scout has beaten her to it, killing to infected on top of him. Buster helps him up, putting Raze’s arm over his shoulder, and continues running as fast as Raze can hobble along. They finally arrive at the horses, which were now spooked, tossing their heads and pulling at their leads. 

 

“Leave the carriage.” Hsu yells out as the others began to mount the horses. Buster helps Raze get onto his horse, pushing him up, while Erin searches for Scout, finding her sawing away at the horses’ harness. Erin quickly dismounts and helps her cut the leather binding for the horses, but they are stopped as the other horse got bit into.

 

“Come on!” Erin grabs Scout's arm and runs for their horses, pushing her up onto the horse’s back. They take off after the rest of the group. As Scout looks back, she informed Erin the horse that wasn’t free was being torn apart, letting them get away. Erin tells her not to look, as there is nothing they can do now. 

----

Erin dismounts her horse now that they were in the safety of the colony’s walls. She walks over to help Scout off the horse, putting a hand on her shoulder afterwards. “Are you alright?” Erin asks softly. 

 

Scout nods slightly, looking up at Erin with sad eyes. “That was scary.”

 

“I know. But you did good, Scout.”

 

She smiles slightly, but it quickly fades as she looks in the direction of Raze, who was being rushed off on a gurney. Jarrett is holding back an angry Blake whose looks could kill. 

 

Erin walks over to Hsu, who is simply observing the situation somberly. “We’re leaving. I expect my fuel tank to be filled already. And I’m not coming back here. Find someone else to get that damned wagon but keep some green kid off the job next time.” Erin angrily motions toward the hospital where Raze disappeared into. 

 

“Erin. I’m sorry.” Hsu raises his hand but promptly drops it. “Your motorcycle was fueled. And I hope the best for you and Scout.”

----

Erin and Scout drive through their home colony’s gate and park. They both get off the bike. Scout starts towards her bus, but Erin stops her. 

 

“You did well today, Scout. Truly. You deserve a shower.”

 

Scout smiles slightly, nodding. “Okay.”

 

“I also got something special for you.” Erin pulls the glow-in-the-dark stars out of her inner jacket pocket and hands them to an amazed Scout. 

 

Scout quickly hugs Erin before taking the package from her and running off to her bus. Erin takes a deep breath and runs her fingers through her hair. She thinks to herself how she could use a good long sleep before she set off again tomorrow. 

 

On her way to the house, she is greeted by a few people asking her how the trip went and how Scout did. She keeps the details to herself, telling them she did well. Erin finally makes it to the house and opens the front door to see rice strung about the floor. She takes in the scene for a moment, noting her niece and nephew playing in the rice while an opened bag is tipped over in the corner. 

 

Erin angrily calls out to Skye but gets no response. She checks the small house but still can’t find her. Erin deftly picks the children up and heads out of the house. She stops one of the women and asks if she knows where Skye is. She said she went to Hector’s house a few hours ago and to check there maybe. Erin thanks her before heading in that direction, stopping at his door. She knocks on the door with her foot and calls out to Skye but got no response. She tries a second time but, after no response, ends up kicking down the flimsy door. 

 

Erin found them in the middle of sex, Skye naked on top of him on the pullout couch. 

 

“How could you leave your children unattended for hours?” Erin angrily asks. “You need to grow up, Skye! Take some responsibility!”

 

“What?! As if you’re one to talk!” Skye angrily scowls at Erin. “Should I just go run off like you did? Fuck some rich dude?! Be constantly high and drunk while your little sister takes care of everything?! Would that be helpful?! Would that be responsible?!”

 

Erin scowls, gently setting her niece and nephew down. “I’ll be back.” She walks away from the house and towards the motorcycle. 

----

2