Chapter 4 – First transformation.
36 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

From the classroom, we moved into another room, which was on the same floor of the building.

This room was a bit more high-tech because it possessed different monitors and cameras from which the higher-ranked members of Umbella would be observing us.

Properly scanning the room now. I noticed that there were a couple of punching bags and training dummies.

I concluded that it was a training room.

Not even getting a chance to fully settle into the room, we were instructed to stand next to our partners.

I stood closer to Aviorah, who stepped to the side, creating an arm's length distance between us.

I wonder how long she plans to keep this up.

Instructor Kida stood in front of the group and said, "Right now, you'll be learning how to wield your partners."

The group of cadets seemed excited about doing that.

The instructor continued, "The thing that allows a person to effectively wield a relic is known as compromise. Now picture two vertical lines moving upwards and never meeting. That would symbolize your two separate auras not compromising with one another. In order for you to even hold a relic, both aura lines would need to be intertwined."

I get it now, so as a result of our mutual compromise, we can effectively intertwine our auras and, therefore, be able to draw out the other person's potential.

"Ok, relics, now transform."

Each of them did just that.

Aviorah's body became ingulfed in a bright white light, and she appeared in my right hand in the form of a twelve-inch survival knife.

Her double edged blade was jet black, and the handle of the knife was made of rubber.

I observed her relic form and slashed the air a couple of times.

It had good weight and balance. I could easily use her.

Aviorah, who is still in her relic form, said, "Our auras synced up pretty nicely.  This is actually surprising."

I replied, "So you're a short-range weapon. That means the majority of our fights will be close range."

"Do you have an issue with that?"

I sighed, "When did I state that?"

Aviorah exhaled deeply, and suddenly I felt like my right arm was being electrocuted.

I instantly dropped the knife and took a step back.

The knife hit the floor, and Aviorah transformed back into a human.

She sat on the floor and said, "What the hell was that for?"

"Something just shocked me."

Instructor Kida approached us and replied, "That's the result of your auras not being matched up. You'll begin to reject each other, and wielding her relic form will be impossible. I advise that both of you properly work on your communication skills because if this happens to you in a battle. Then you will die.

I sighed once again.

This aura thing is harder than I thought.

After wallowing in self pity for a few moments, I observed the rest of the class, and they seemed to be getting the hang of it.

Nikko Shibuya held a dark purple chain scythe in both his hands, which means that's Saya Kiyato's relic form.

Ryuu Horikiki held a long silver spear in her left hand, which means that's Jin Tsuda's relic form.

Both of the previously mentioned relic wielders make it look so easy.

Aviorah sighed and said, "Let's retry this once more."

I replied, "Whenever you're ready."

Aviorah began to transform again. A bright white light engulfed her entire body and she appeared in my right hand.

OK, our auras feel stable. Well, this is how it went the very first time before I got the shock of a lifetime.

I closed my eyes and focused on stabilizing our auras even more.

An image of two humans embracing each other popped into my mind as a representation of intertwinement. 

This is somewhat peaceful.

Aviorah, in a somewhat enthusiastic voice, said, "Hey, we're doing it."

Hmm. I can feel it. Her aura is somewhat gentle despite her cold attitude at times.

While in the middle of concentrating.

A deep male voice completely broke my concentration.

Instructor Kida called out my name, "Ayato Amaya, you have a visitor."

Huh? A visitor?

I opened both my eyes and Aviorah reverted back into her human form.

I approached the instructor to enquire about my so-called visitor.

He pointed in the direction of the door, and there I saw a female looking like she was in her early 20's standing by the door.

I walked towards the stranger in a curious manner and said, "Uh, who are you?"

She sighed and replied, "Come with me."

I think this goes against everything I was taught about strangers as a child.

The female stranger and I stood outside the door.

She leaned against a wall, "I was ordered to mentor you."

"What do you mean? I just barely started. How could I have a mentor?"

"Look, it's the superior's orders."

I exhaled and said, "Fine, but shouldn't you introduce yourself?"

The female stranger awkwardly scratched her cheek with her index finger, "My bad. My name is Midori Nishi."

I would say she's about 5'6 with shoulder-length jet black hair and ice-grey eyes.

The trench coat she wore has four stars on the upper left arm sleeve, so that means she's a Special Class Investigator. However, she looks so young.

I shook her outstretched hand and replied, "Ayato Amaya, but you already knew that."

Midori had a nonchalant look on her face. As a result, one would assume that her nature is completely relaxed.

She observed me, "The top honcho of Umbella, would like to see you in his office to explain everything in further detail."

 "Alright. Let's get going then."

The door opened as both of us were about to leave.

Aviorah stepped outside with an annoyed look on her face.

"Ayato, are you returning to class or not?"

Midori turned around and asked, "Is she your relic partner?"

"Yeah, she is."

Midori then somewhat flashed a smile and motioned for Aviorah to follow us as well.

After a bit of walking, we entered the elevator, and Minori pressed the floor 38 button.

Aviorah was a bit confused about what was transpiring and asked, "So what's going on?"

I replied, "Well, the speed run is, this is Midori Nishi, and we're going to see the CEO of the organization."

"Well, that sounds rather strange, but alright."

After a few moments, we were on the 38th floor. The elevator doors opened and all three of us disembarked from it.

The 38th floor was just an empty room. There were no people, no furniture, and the lights constantly flickered.

I side-eyed Midori and asked, "What's this about?"

Midori sighed and replied, "Tell your relic partner to transform right now."

Aviorah and I both said in unison, "Huh?"

Midori chuckled a bit and said, "I won't tell you twice."

I am not sure what the hell is going on here.

 

 

3