Chapter 2: Self Deprecating
769 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(A/N: It appears that many liked the book, so I will be writing it as an official story. So Welcome to my 2nd Story! The updates will be irregular with their usually being at least 1 chapter per week. Enjoy!)

Recap

Suijin, who expected this, walked to the kitchen and got himself a glass of milk. He then put his finger into the glass, touching the contents. Most would consider this unsanitary, but this was simply his way of drinking/eating.

The skin on his finger-tips separated and the liquid disappeared, looking like it was sucked into his body. His father was at the door after a round of polite refusals and pardons with Shoji and looked at Suijin before leaving.

"Oh, before I forgot, son. Your grandfather reminded me of something. Since you’ve reached that age, I should remind you to be careful of what "liquids" you release from your nozzle for fear of clogging it."

Suijin's eyes shot open, and he looked around before finding his way to his dad.

"HAHAHAHA, I’ll see you later soon. Your mother will be home soon. Don’t forget to fill out the form for what high school you want to go to. "

*Slam*

The two boys looked at the door before looking at each other.

"S-"

*Sigh*

"Forget it, just come so I can help you with your homework."

______________________________________________________________________________

"This world is rigged. Those with "powerful" or "huge, flashy"  quirks have a one-sided advantage in becomin a hero. Heroism as a whole is flawed, people rely on heroes for every crime, leaving those whom the hero couldn't save worse off than if they had even tried to struggle and do something for themselves with their own quirk.

This causes society to need even more heroes, but even though everyone dreams of being a hero, only a few can attain it. Those with quirks like flare blast, or ice freeze would get accepted into a school like U.A. in an instant. Whereas people like me and you must scrape the dregs at the bottom of the barrel. "

Shoji looked up at his best friend, who was supposed to be working on his last essay of middle school. This essay was to be sent to the students' school of choice along with their application.

The purpose of the essay was to show the student's personality and character to see if they are a fit for the school. Shoji was going to work on it straight when he got home.  

However, his friend, who he had parted with less than 5 minutes ago, jumped over with his fingers barley holding on to his window seal. 

Shoji’s and Suijin’s houses were right next to each other, and with them both having windows facing each other, this wasn’t the first time he had done something like this.

He had opened the window when Suijin barely got a few words out.

"I-y-your mag"

Then Suijin’s frail hands slipped, and he almost fell down a two-story building. Of course, it wasn’t for the bulky hand holding his loose black jacket.

Shoji pulled him in and looked at Suijin's painting on the floor, regaining his breath. After ten seconds, the labored breathing came to an abrupt halt. 

Suijin sprang up and shouted, "I your magnanimous friend, will help you with your letter." And that led to this scenario, where Shuijin, who also brought his own essay paper for cover, hadn't written the first line on the paper, which was supposed to be his name. 

Not regarding his name, the first words were written in big, dark, bold letters saying "School Chosen." Also wasn't answered.

Instead of doing work like nobody expected, he gave another speech about how unfortunate he and Shoji were, and how they were simply destined to never be heroes.

"Suijin, why don’t you want to become a hero?"

For the number of times he’s heard about the issue of why Suijin can’t be a hero, Shoji never asked why he thought that way. 

Although his quirk isn't particularly directly useful, many heroes emerge every day, finding unique uses for their quirks. He’s sure that with that inquisitive mind of his, he could figure something out.

Suijin wasn’t someone who would quit just because others said so. He would find every possibility and way for him to achieve his goal. He didn't care what other people thought of his actions and was constantly defying what others considered normal.

For debates in class, he would find the best points to use for his argument no matter whether he agreed with the thesis. In gym class, when they were doing swim relays, even though his head would make it difficult to swim, he still found a way to compete with others.

He used his finger tips to absorb water to keep up his physical state since the amount of water and liquids in his body also equates to the "tiredness" of his body.  In this way he gave 101% of the effort and came though that challenge and caused his team to place #3 in the class. Suijin looked to the side of the room and diverted his eyes from meeting Shoji’s. 

"W-Well, if you must know. In this society- "

*Glare*

"R-Right, being a philosopher would better fit me. The hero game doesn’t fit my noble character. I never give up and can see the truth in this society, so rather than being a brute-like hero, I will educate the ignorant about the injustices and inequalities that this society brings.I will become the pillar of philosophy.

My influence will spread far and wide. And when my cul-Ahem, I mean group of followers are adequate, we will change the world with me at the head. By that point, a mere hero won’t be of any concern to myself. "

Suijin looked at Shoji, who didn’t glare at him anymore and instead just stared. He continued to direct his eyes away and decided to use his ultimate move.

Wait it out!

He was someone who had long ago bested the god of patience in his stubbornness. He was sure that he could last a few minutes.

Except that there wasn't a "few" minutes. Time passed by 2...5...10. By this point, even Suijin was starting to get a stiff neck. His eyes became bored of watching the leaf blow in the wind.

But Shoji showed no signs of stopping.

*Sigh*

"There may have been another part I didn’t mention-"

Shoji relaxed his gaze temporarily.

*Wipe sweat*

"-My dad, Enkai has the same quirk as me so his future is where I will probably end up. So ultimately the hero job isn’t cut up for me anyways-"

Suijin’s downcast, self-deprecating self was fully visible to Shoji now. He had no idea that the confident and problem-solving man would be so harsh on himself.

"-But I’m sure that you're going to be a great hero. With your strength and limbs, you’ll make it big. Maybe I’ll even see Tentacle Man in the news. Heh. "

*Beam*

The lights next door lit up.

"Looks like Dad’s home."

Suijin sat up and grabbed his ever-blank paper. He started walking towards the window. He opened the window and was about to jump back to his room when he heard Shouji speak.

"I have no idea why you're underestimating yourself. Nor why you're so pessimistic in a world where doing the extraordinary  is normal. Your dad should be used as a baseline, yes, but as a hero.  Your aim would be to surpass him. From what I’ve seen, the only thing holding you back from showing this world what you could do is yourself.”

Suijin hopped over to the window and shut the blinds. He put his papers down and crawled into his bed. That night, his sleep was as confusing as ever. With him having a dream of multiple miniature hims having a conference at a table.

21