Chapter 10
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tejara woke up alone to a room full of murmured gossip. She heard Keh’dor’rin’s name mentioned and perked her ears up, keeping her eyes closed.

“But why did Physician Keh’dor’rin collapse though?”

Tejara’s heart seized.

“It seems like he was hurt and was hiding his injuries.”

“But how did he get hurt?”

“I heard that young lord Val’lin’r’s family had him beat up for distracting their heir from marriage talks.”

“Well I heard,” one woman said, her voice growing quieter, “that Keh’dor’rin-”

Unable to stand it any longer, Tejara bolted upright in her bed. Sheepishly, the little circle of gossiping women dispersed. Tejara leapt from her bed and, without changing her clothes, rushed out towards Mei’nin’sa’s room.

Tejara burst into Mei’nin’sa’s room, her lover’s name already falling from her mouth but she froze when she saw the inside of the room. It should’ve been too early for Mei’nin’sa to have any clients but there she was on her knees, pouring tea for a reclining man. The man looked like he should have been a young and handsome man but the arrogance and lechery twisting his appearance made him look like an ugly, old bastard.

Tejara’s face twitched as she forced a smile and bowed her head, “my apologies, milord. I did not expect Lady MeiMei to be with a guest at this hour.”

The man narrowed his eyes at Tejara, “does this place really allow its male servants to enter courtesans’ rooms without knocking?”

Mei’nin’sa giggled cutely into her sleeve, “silly DonDon, Tejara is a woman.”

The man slammed his tea cup down and both Tejara and Mei’nin’sa flinched, “don’t call me stupid!”

“I-” Mei’nin’sa started to defend herself then swallowed her words with a smile, “I apologize.”

The man then scowled at Tejara, “what are you still doing here?”

“I have an important personal message to pass on to Lady MeiMei, my apologies.”

“Can’t it wait?”

“It’ll only take a moment, DonDon darling.” Mei’nin’sa set the teapot down and stood up, brushing off her bare knees before gliding elegantly across the floor to where Tejara waited in the doorway.

Tejara leaned in close and whispered, “what happened to Keh’dor’rin?”

Mei’nin’sa’s easy smile immediately disappeared and her delicate brows furrowed together, “what do you mean ‘what happened to Keh’dor’rin?’”

“This morning the servant girls were gossiping about him, something about him having collapsed...”

Mei’nin’sa chewed her bottom lip. 

“As much as I love looking at your ass, it’s not as good fully clothed and from so far away,” the man raised his tea cup to his lips and glared at Tejara and Mei’nin’sa through narrowed eyes.

Tejara couldn’t stop her nose from wrinkling in disgust. Mei’nin’sa turned around to face him with a smile on her face, sliding over a step to hide Tejara’s face from his view. She bowed, “sorry, my lord, but something has come up. Let us continue this another time.”

He stood up abruptly, throwing his cup down. “Bullshit!” His cup shattered on the floor and rather than the bitter scent of tea the sweet smile of wine filled the room. “I paid for your whole day.”

“And you will get a whole day... just not today. Something important came up.”

The man scoffed, stalking towards the two women standing in the doorway, “what could be more important than me?”

“A family matter.” Mei’nin’sa answered. Behind her back, she waved her hand at Tejara. Taking her cue, Tejara started backing out into the hallway.

The young man laughed, “what kinda family does a whore like you have?”

“I may not have parents or a husband to take care of me but that doesn’t mean I have no family at all.” Mei’nin’sa took a large step back as the man got in her face, one foot fully out of the room.

He grabbed her upper arm and jerked her harshly towards him. “Where do you think you’re going?”

“Unhand me!” Mei’nin’sa tried to wrest her arm from his grip but was unable to free herself. He grabbed the back of her neck and tried to forcibly pull her in for a kiss... And got Tejara’s fist to his jaw instead.

He let go of Mei’nin’sa, stumbling back and holding his face. “We do not allow violence or force in this house! Leave now or I will drag you out!” Tejara growled, glaring at him with her fist raised.

“You fucking bastard! Don’t you know who I am? I’m-”

“Don’t know, don’t care. Get out or maybe I’ll save both of our time and throw you out the window.”

The man’s face contorted in rage and went red, “you-!”

Tejara took a threatening step forward and the man flinched, “you’ll regret this!” he snapped, before fleeing from the room, still clutching his face.

Mei’nin’sa clapped her hands together and grinned, “my hero!” she crooned.

Tejara walked back over to her and gently grabbed her arm, pushing up her loose sleeve until she could see the bruises. “I’m sorry,” Tejara said, her voice cracking, “I should have stopped him from hurting you.”

Mei’nin’sa reached up and patted Tejara on the head, “you did good. Let’s forget about him for now and go find Keh’dor’rin.”

Strangely enough, they found Keh’dor’rin right where he normally was... his room. However, he was laying on his bed, a sour look on his face, his fists clenched as a nervous Val’lin’r seemed to be desperately trying to hold his hand.

A third man the two women didn’t recognize was in the room. An older gentleman in physician’s clothes. He looked lost in thought and was muttering to himself until he looked up and noticed Tejara and Mei’nin’sa’s arrival. “Ah, my apologies. If you are here to seek the care of your... physician please talk to me instead. Your physician is indisposed at the moment.”

Mei’nin’sa waved her hands in front of her and shook her head with a smile, “no, no, I’m the physician’s cousin. I’m here to check on him.”

“I’m fine, MeiMei! Now all of you get the fuck out!” Keh’dor’rin grouched.

“Are you sure you’re fine?” Tejara asked, “the servant girls were gossiping about you collapsing...” Tejara trailed off as she stepped closer and saw that Keh’dor’rin’s top was opened in such a way that it revealed just his stomach and the distinct bump on it, too round and solid looking to be fat. Tejara’s brow furrowed in worry immediately, “is that a tumor?”

Keh’dor’rin moved to cover up his stomach with a scowl but before he could answer, the older physician did, “it’s not a tumor, it’s a baby.”

0