Ch-10: Truly What A Bother
257 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raven snickered as the door closed behind Damon an odd light flickering through his eyes . This brother of his was a bit amusing. There was no real kinship but blood relation between the two yet the third oldest treated him with a neutral tone. No animosity but no brotherly love either. 

From memories one could quickly tell he held the Patriarch in high regards. So his life was built on not disappointing him especially when an order was given. He was like a foot soldier who lived by his father's values. But also had a moral compass. Unlike the majority of his siblings who showed blatant animosity he never bothered with the weak, unless they crossed paths with his goals.

And in this case Raven who was weak willed and disregarded by the families head. Wasn't in the least, a threat to anyone. As he made it his job to shy away from any members of the family after his mother had died.

That wasn't to say that Ravens existence didn't bother Damon at all when in fact it did. Not only did Damon put a lot of importance into pleasing his father he held major importance to the Rosemore's name. It's power and reputation was something he never wanted questioned or sullied with falsehoods and useless people that would make the family look bad.

And Raven. A untalented child born within a family whose swordsmanship has been superior for centuries was an eyesore. 

To the family and everything it stood for.

But to enemies he was a blessing in disguise.

A blessing they had been preying on for years. Just waiting and waiting for the right chance to strike. But now, such chance was gone.

"Oh, how unfortunate." Raven scoffed, getting out of bed to stretch his muscles for a little bit. "Me being here has completely changed their plans."

Presently he wasn't as useless and powerless as before. He was sure his older brother had already grasped this. "Are my peaceful days really over?"

He never really thought about it. At some point he was going to leave the forest but he'd figured it would be a long while before hand. And when he did he wouldn't be heading back to the lions den. But who knew life had something different in stored for him.

'Truthly, what a bother.'

Tying his hair up in a bun he settled back down on his bed in a criss crossed position and began quietly meditating.

He'd worry about everything once he got to the estate.

~•~•~•~•~

Slowly opening his eyes he exhaled a fog of cold air. Glancing towards the window he noticed that the sun had set and it was already late in the afternoon. He expected to meditate for an hour or so but who knew it would go beyond that.

Whispering he said to himself. "I should've paid more attention to time."

"Meditation is timeless. One should not try to rush it nor slow it down." 

'"Oh?...Is that so?" Raven raised one of his delicate brows in a doubting manner. He didn't need to turn around to know who it was talking to him. He was currently familiar with the present voice. 

"Rushing a break through can lead to a disperse of mana, ripped organs and an exploded heart." Damon gazed at Raven with an inquiring look. "It is a basic instruction taught when forming your first mana circle."

'Hmmm... I didn't know that.' Raven thought, 'How unexpected.' 

Meditation was easy but time consuming. Once you entered a trance like state you'd completely lose track of time. It could feel as if you had meditated for an hour or a day, when in reality it was months or even a year.

It was a bit cumbersome.

"How long has it been since this mourning?"

"It has been 12 hours."

'12 hours eh? It's neither long nor short.'

Damon added, "We'll soon be reaching the estate." 

Raven turned his head around from the window and blankly stared at his brother. "I'm hungry. Is there any food to eat."

Eyes narrowed and chaw slightly clenched Damon observed the youngest with steady eyes.

Was he being ordered around? And the tone the other was using. There was no honorifics in his speech. He wasn't rude but he wasn't humble either.

'My 'dear' little brother is full of surprises.'

Seeing his 2nd brother not reply Raven repeated himself. "Is there any food to eat."

"There is food to eat. But first you should wash up. You smell of nature, it's unsettling. Your a noble not a barbarian." Gesturing to the brown door on the right he explained. "You can freshen up in there while I'll send someone to deliver your food."

Nodding Raven got up and quickly entered through the brown door. He doubted he smelled bad or even at all. 

Nature?

He inwardly laughed. 'What a petty brother I have.'

He didn't mind washing up before eating though. He had been asleep for a long time and then when he woke up he went straight into training. A bath wasn't bad.

Taking off his gown he easily slipped into an already made tub of hot water and oils. Burying his whole body into the water he laid still at the bottom. Enjoying the comfortable feeling of being surrounded in heated water.

"Do you plan to stay like that?"

Raven smiled before pushing his head out of the water. "Where'd you go earlier?"

"I went back."

"Why? Did you forget something?"

Lucienne shook his head, jumping onto the stool near the tub. "Saying fare wells."

Looking at him he nodded in understanding before running a pale hand through his wet hair as he gazed upward at the ceiling. "Surprisingly I don't miss my old world."

"...."

"I thought I'd at least miss the technology there, my friends, or something." Shrugging he sighed. "But I don't miss anything from that life. Maybe that's a great thing."

"Did you not hold any significance to your life?"

"Significance? I only lived freely and tried to live without any regrets as best as I could."

"In the end, did that fair well for you."

"I suppose no. I couldn't live completely without any regrets. That's the part of being human I guess. You never live a life valued as perfection. After all our beings itself isn't perfect."

"What exactly is it that you regret?"

At this small question an heavy aura of melancholy engulfed Raven. Speaking softly he answered with only two words. "My mother."

He regretted not seeing the signs sooner. He regretted being unable to do anything because he was a child. He regretted catching childish tantrums. He regretted not being there when she drew her last breath. He regretted not telling her he loved her very often as he should have. He regretted all.

'He's sad.' Lucienne's was a bit startled. 

Raven wasn't even sad when he died. Angry and a bit annoyed? Yes. But sad? No.

Yet at the very mentioned of his mother his usually light and unbothered mood turned solemn. 'I wonder...'

*Tap, Tap*

A knock sounded at the door interrupting Raven's chain of thought, drawing him back to the present world. Swiftly he regulated his emotions before turning towards an empty stool on his left. 

Lucienne was gone. 

A grin graced his soft lips. 'What to do. One minute your here and the next your not.'

"Come in." He commanded. 

"Young master." In walked a handful of female maids standing with their bowing heads and carrying towels, clothes, and other necessities. 

Seeing this Raven stood up within the tub and slowly got out, stepping onto a wool mat. They all walked forward and began to carefully dress him. From situating his clothing, to wearing shoes, to arranging his silky hair with silver ornaments. They prepared him for lunch and the return to his family.

15