Chapter 9- Aimless
625 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Ga!" One moment I'm asleep and the next I'm in the fetal position because someone decided it would be a good idea to wake me up by kicking me in the gut. *cough cough*

"Get up you!" I turned my eyes upward to see the lady in the red robe standing above me. "I've tolerated your sleeping under this tree for this one night, but if you're still here by noon, I'll kill you." 

"You, *cough* What did I ever do to you?" I asked breathlessly. 

She didn't answer or look back as she walked away. I've seen her before, haven't I? Was she the reason I was thrown out of town? After catching my breath, I picked up what few things I had and began to walk.

The sun only just peeked above the horizon. So I guess I would have gotten up sooner rather than later anyway. But did she have to kick me?

If only my male half had it as good as my female half. Naturally, both sides of me were awoken when my male side was kicked. On the female end, I was still lying in bed, back of my hand across my forehead, It was early in the morning and I was already exasperated. "Is it weird to be jealous of myself?" Seriously ever since the slaver camp, my male half has gotten nothing but a hard time while my female half has been living the good life. 

I any case, the longer one half of me stayed in bed and the other kept walking, to god knows where the stronger a strange feeling of resentment toward myself got. Yes, I decided, being jealous of one's self is weird, and a little scary, time to get up.

The room was still dim, and is it just me, or is the sun a little different here at the palace? Yes, my male eyes were seeing a much higher and brighter sunrise. Why is that? 

Whatever, more importantly, I needed to decide on a direction to travel. Pulling out a map that I found inside the bag of goods Mayble provided. There were several cities and towns marked but the biggest seemed to be the one listed as Imperial City Capital. All the biggest roadways lead there, so that might be the best place to go. 

"Let's see." Right now I'm on a smaller road but it shouldn't be long before reaching the big one. Then to this Capital place. Then finding a way to reunite myself.

There had to be someone who knew how to sneak across the border, the slavers seemed to do it easily enough. Would I have to become a slaver? The thought sent shivers up my spine. To do to others what those men did to me, and they weren't even finished with me yet. No, there had to be some other way.

That was the future. "One thing at a time." Right now I needed to focus on getting someplace safe. 

Stepping into the shower and letting the hot refreshing water hit me, I felt that feeling of self envy bubbling back up. I decided to make my shower quick.

Two hours later my male half was still walking. Point a to point b seemed like such a short distance on paper. I didn't have to wonder how much longer to the main road however because after reaching the top a hill I could see it, in all its wide and paved glory. Also, people, that was something I haven't seen in a while. In the hours spent on the dirt road, I hadn't seen a signal person, but now I could see few guards on patrol, and... other people. It was almost like being back in the market except, many more carriages. All being pulled by horses.

Come to think of it I haven't seen a single steam carriage since waking up on this side of the border. Back at the marketplace, horse-pulled carriages weren't uncommon, but there were just as many steam carriages. Then again my female self is surrounded by rich people, so... 

Back at the palace, I had just finished breakfast, the maid Stephane was talking away my plates. On the road, I had eaten some dried meat.  Also provided by Mayble, that woman was forever in my debt.

Sadly that little bit was all I had, and the walk was long. One hour, two hours, three. Walking was getting old, lunch was had arrived and I found that feeling of self envy returning as lunch at the palace was served. 

After lunch, I lay on my bed, the feeling of envy was going away. Life at the palace was nowhere near as eventful as yesterday. The most that had happened was, two meals, the twins coming in to say hello before moving on to their daily duties, and an attempt, by me, to make small talk with Stephane. I failed, turns out maids are really one track minded. Get in, do a task, finish the task, do the next task, repeat. 

Between mindless walking, and mindlessly staring at the ceiling, I was bored. Seriously I had more to do at my shack.

Some more time passed, thirty maybe forty five minutes. A horse pulled carriage came from behind. I didn't think anything of it, wasn't the first, but this one didn't pass me by like the others did. 

"Hey, son!" An old man called out to from the driver's seat. He was moderately overweight with a snow wight beard, wearing a large straw hat "You need a lift?" 

"A lift?" 

"Yeah, you headed to the capital?"

A few thoughts ran through my heads, "Yeah, I am." Was he offering me a ride? Could I trust him?

Was he a mind reader? "I can understand if you're wary of me, but I promise that biting is the most I'll do."

"Biting?"

A smile grew on his face. "And nothing more. I promise." He began to chuckle. Which was good because otherwise I would have thought he was serious about biting me. That or he really really really enjoyed biting people. Considering some of my encounters so far I didn't think I could be too careful.

"Well, I am tired of walking."

"Then what are you waiting for?" He gestured to the spot beside him. "Come on."

"Thank you." 

"Not a problem. Too many people in this world, are more than happy to pass by when they have the power to help." He sighed. "You know what I mean?"

"I do." I lost count of how many people passed me up today. 


"When is the earliest you can start?" The Queen was in a meeting with one of the few men in the Kingdom that could be considered in equal standing with her husband. 

He stood side by side with the first Arthur Pendragon during the rebellion against the Empire that eventually formed the Alliance of Kingdoms. He since taught generations or royal children of the Pendragon family the ways of magic, swordsmanship, and tactics. If you asked him he was nothing more than a humble teacher. Teaching anyone willing to learn, never exclusively teaching the royal family. If a mere servant asked he would gladly teach them anything they liked. The Queen also was one such student.

"I can begin evaluating her tomorrow." He answered without hesitation. Far be it from him to deny someone the chance to learn. There was one thing on his mind, however. "May I ask, why the special treatment? Normally we would find friends or next of kin, and send her on her way, although I understand her amnesia has made that complicated matter. I still find it curious."

"Posters have been sent out, but so far not one lead. It's only been a few days, but still, It worries me a little."

The old teacher smirked. "Is that all?"

The Queen gave her old teacher a look of annoyance. His questioning reminded her of days when she was his student, always testing her even when she didn't know it. "I also believe that if we keep her active she might remember something. Making it easier for us, to send her home."

The old teacher nodded his approval, but one question remained. "And if she doesn't find her way home, what then?"

The Queen sighed. "I've thought about that too. Frankly, I have no idea."

"The future is an uncertain thing, if you knew what was to come, you would be a God."

"In these uncertain times I wish I were."

"If you ask me it's overrated."

The Queen raised her eyebrows at the comment. "Oh, have some experience do you?"

"Not first hand." The Teacher checked his pocket watch. "I apologize, I have much to do today, especially if I want to keep my schedule clear for tomorrow." The Teacher dismissed himself from the meeting. 

"It's not a problem, and thank you."

"No need to thank me, I'm a teacher, after all. If I turned down a chance to educate, I would be a failure."

The Queen watch her old mentor leave. Wondering what he meant by "overrated" in the end she shrugged it off as an attempt at a joke.

I apologize for getting this chapter out so late especially when nothing much happens.

5